Options

What obsolete or dying technology do you still own/use?

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive a 59 plate car and it is still going strong.

Still got a Playstation 2, one of the original 'fat' ones which is still working after 12 years, and outlived it's PS3 succesor by several years. I turn it on now and again when I feel nostalgic.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Sega Megadrive (somewhere in the house)
    CD Player (good for when we are decorating rooms)
    Playstation 1 and 2
    CRT TV in my room (the screen is v small!)
    Cassete Player
    Another CRT TV
    2 VCR Players
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    my treadle sewing machine is 100 years old, i use it daily.

You win
  • Options
    Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I still have a proper old rotary dial phone that belonged to my grandad. I would love to use it, I love the sound the dial makes, but I would miss my digital phone book and automatic dial. Actually, I might put it in the hall.
  • Options
    littlebootieslittlebooties Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have one of these too, still works perfectly. I've also got a Tele-sports 3 pong games console that works too. I've had some things for so long I forget they're obsolete.
  • Options
    littlemadangellittlemadangel Posts: 4,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD player.
    Clocks and an alarm clock radio
    A paper diary
    There's a GameBoy floating about this house somewhere as well.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I still have a proper old rotary dial phone that belonged to my grandad. I would love to use it, I love the sound the dial makes, but I would miss my digital phone book and automatic dial. Actually, I might put it in the hall.

They are`useless for making calls but they are great for taking calls on. You just pick them up. Plus with those bells they alert everyone in the house to a call; whatever phone they reply with. Only drawback is once I have answered with the old phone I cannot transfer the call to another phone in the house.
  • Options
    marclamarcla Posts: 1,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Telephone with a micro cassette answer machine,
    Hi Fi system,
    VHS Recorder
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea whether some of my stuff is obsolete or not:o
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    VHS
    Game Com (a handheld game which wasnt that successful)
    Minidisk recorder
    CRT TV
  • Options
    MissliMissli Posts: 3,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A PS2 that someone gave me, as was going to throw away!:eek:

My ancient desktop tower. I'm thinking of binning as the graphics card has gone yet again (was overclocked). None of the parts, and accessories are original except the case, as have updated, and mended over the years. Getting a bit sick of all the wires, and it is a bit clunky. Would much rather use my netbook, or perhaps a laptop.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of things: I've still got the iPod that I got for Christmas in 2005, and I still play on the Wii in my bedroom. (And I intend to continue my 360 when the Xbox One comes out.)

And, if they count, I still listen to CDs as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My soul :sleep:
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Built to last, those beauties. :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Built to last, those beauties. :-)

Indeed. I think annette has this thread all sewn up
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Technics Hi Fi system (CD with twin cassette deck) that I bought in 1996. :cool: Still works well and I'll replace it once it breaks for good.

I also acquired the Sony 28" widescreen CRT TV my parents bought in 2004 (?) when they upgraded to a flatscreen TV. Also got their Sony DVD player too of the same vintage.

The TV I had before the big heavy Sony CRT was a Samsung 21" TV that I think my sister bought in 1996. I still have a Philips 14" TV gathering dust just in case the Sony gives up the ghost.

My current VCR was donated to me. I don't use it much and is not connected up. I CBA to use it anymore.

The Digibox I have is 8 years old connected to the Sony TV. Just picks up ordinary Freeview.

I drive a 2003 Nissan Almera. Still a fresh looking car for a 10 year old imo. It is the top spec model, so it has an inbuilt sat nav system. For those of an age, the screen looks a bit like the graphics on 'Horace Goes Skiing' for the 1980s Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48k. :D Laughable compared to the 'Google Maps' format of today's sat navs.
  • Options
    Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a working Sega Saturn console that I still occasionally use.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does the typewriter make a "ching ching ching" sound as your are typing? :D

No, not really, it is too old for that, it makes a thud and and a bell rings at the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Windows XP (sometimes use it to play the odd game that won't work on Mac or Windows 7)
    CD player (used by mum sometimes when she wants to listen to music)
    Game Boy Color (for a bit of retro gaming)
    Floppy drive (XP desktop came with it, sometimes use it to copy old files)
    VHS machine (gathering dust under the TV now)

If we are going to computers, a ZX80, ZX81 and a Jupiter Ace, still in working order and I sue them now and again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    The only truly obsolete thing I frequently use, and I'm not sure if this counts, is a Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulator on my iPod touch. A 30-year old home-computer running software designed for it, but actually being used on what is essentially a modern smartphone.

I have got a specy with microdrives, but i have a power problem with it at the moment.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a ZX81 kit version still unbuilt in its original packaging with a 16K expansion pack.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good thread, got me thinking, and I'll need to think hard before I give anything like a right answer, but its lots of stuff I know.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My original Gillette G2 razor broke a couple weeks ago, been using it for 30 years :cry:
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    My soul :sleep:

I was thinking my brain, which is kinda similar I guess? :p its kinda sad I think that but hey-ho.

I have a portable CD player if that counts and audio cassette tapes and VHS tapes, plus an old Sharp VCR. I also have a PS2 and numerous old PC games. I had an old Dizzy game on floppy disk but I might have thrown that out when I did a big cleanout last year.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,932
    Forum Member
    I like my Cambridge Audio hi-fi.

It has all the components - turntable, radio receiver, CD player and cassette decks.
    Good set of speakers too.
    It's a hundred times better than listening to itunes tracks on a docking amp.