Options

Sylvester McCoy

Comments

• Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I really like The Seventh Doctor too. One of my favourites. :)

I like McCoy as well. He had a good prescence and
    charm as the Doctor.

He hasn't done too badly post-DW, has he? Doing
    "King Lear" with McKellen, and "The Hobbit" as well! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only seen very little of McCoy's Doctor, but it probably took me longer to warm up to him than any other Doctor, except for Hartnell's (but that one was more due to the characterization). I dunno, it was just something about his voice/accent, but I did end up liking him in the end even though he's not one of my favorites.

I feel like there's a bit of pressure in this fandom that sort of accuses you of having a bad taste or something if you happen to like McCoy's or Colin Baker's Doctor. (I can't quite put what I mean by this into words.)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are the only fans of Sylvester McCoy the ones who grew up watching him? This is the impression I get.

Nope, I watched my first McCoy episode this year and he quickly became one of my favourites once I had got the bloody awful season 24 out of the way.
    From Remembrance of the Daleks onwards he was brilliant.
    Even in stories I don't particularly like such as The Happiness Patrol he has some fantastic moments such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6c6AxhAal0
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I watched my first McCoy episode this year and he quickly became one of my favourites once I had got the bloody awful season 24 out of the way.
    From Remembrance of the Daleks onwards he was brilliant.
    Even in stories I don't particularly like such as The Happiness Patrol he has some fantastic moments such as this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6c6AxhAal0

Imo, even in Season 24 he still rose above all the garbage and stood out. His Doctor always seemed above all the Dross for me, he just was a big shining light in the biggest bucket of pigswill that Season 24 could spew out and that's why I think he's similar to Matt Smith, who imo has done exactly the same throughout a vast majority of his time in the show.

:)
  • Options
    TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a link?

Not posting one! But most famously in The Canterbury Tales.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    He comes low in my list of 'favourites'. But McCoy had a lot of bad stories, low budget and facing the chop basically (the series - not HIM!).
    The Happiness Patrol and Paradise Towers spring to mind as most cringeworthy stories. And yet I quite enjoyed (unlike lots of people) the camp and fun Delta & The Bannermen!
    Remembrance of the Daleks was his best (IMO) followed by Curse of Fenric.
    It wasn't McCoy's fault the series ended....it was the BBC! (Or someone upstairs!)
  • Options
    rettop70rettop70 Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    I had high hopes for Sylvester McCoy nd started toget back into Doctor Who from Rembrance onwards, I think he suffered with a few episodes following Colin Baker's sacking that they weren't written specifically for him?
    I liked the idea of a darker scheming Doctor with I guess his outfit being a 'front', but the question mark umbrella and perminent hat was a bit annoying (I get annoyed with the oddest of things!)
    Shame he couldn't have gone on for a few more series' as alot of the things that were hinted at then seem to have influenced the Doctor's character in the relaunched show imo.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    He comes low in my list of 'favourites'. But McCoy had a lot of bad stories, low budget and facing the chop basically (the series - not HIM!).
    The Happiness Patrol and Paradise Towers spring to mind as most cringeworthy stories. And yet I quite enjoyed (unlike lots of people) the camp and fun Delta & The Bannermen!
    Remembrance of the Daleks was his best (IMO) followed by Curse of Fenric.
    It wasn't McCoy's fault the series ended....it was the BBC! (Or someone upstairs!)

I often wonder whether people's opinions of Paradise Towers are unfairly coloured by their memories of Richard Briers pantomime performance as the Chief Caretaker
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Not good at the anger scenes IMO.

'Battlefield' is a good example.

Neither is Matt Smith. Doesn't stop people thinking he's a brilliant Doctor...
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I often wonder whether people's opinions of Paradise Towers are unfairly coloured by their memories of Richard Briers pantomime performance as the Chief Caretaker

Gawd bless him, but there might be something in that!

I think it's a pretty interesting story and McCoy is IMHO perfectly good in what was only his second story. I particularly like the scene where the Doctor escapes from the guards by using their slavish rule-following against them, and there's a lovely scene towards the end where the Kangs, Rezzies, etc decide to join forces and McCoy just says "So be it" or something similar and quietly walks out of shot. It wasn't the best time to be a Doctor Who fan, but little bits like that made me think yeah, he's got something about him.

Thankfully (again IMHO) the upward trend continued right up to 'Survival'.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not in my case.

Though Richard Briers' performance in the show was way over the top, there's hardly anything else about the story that is likeable accept Sylvester McCoy and also Clive Merrison as the Deputy Caretaker, who unlike Richard Briers, totally understates the comic nature of his role.

I love the scenes with him and McCoy. But that's it really, the rest of the story is total crap and until the Rings episode earlier this year was for me the worst story in the show's entire history as it has so few redeeming qualities.

:)
  • Options
    brotonsbabybrotonsbaby Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always really enjoyed McCoy. Yes he had some duff stories but once he had settled in and cut the clowning down, was a good portrayal that wouldnt have been out of place in modern Who.
    My youngest daughter adores him, and wont watch other classic Doctors, especially not the sixth. Her favourite story is Paradise Towers, which, leaving aside the late Mr Briers stomach churning rendition, is not all that bad in my eyes,really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member

Am I the only one who has a soft spot for Richard Briers' bizarre performance in episode 4?

In an otherwise totally cringeworthy production (apart from the Rezzies - I still find them very sinister).
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think whenever Sylvester McCoy is mentioned, most people focus on the really dire stories. Some of the later stories were much better and the acting was much better. I think those stories paved the way for some of New Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think McCoy is great. I hope that somehow they've snuck a cameo into the 50th anniverssary somewhere.
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bokonon wrote: »
    I found him unbearable and stopped watching. Of course the acting in Dr. Who is often very theatrical- De Niro would not make a very good Who. But McCoy seemed to think he was participating in a pantomime.

Oh no he wouldn't :D
  • Options
    LeslieGruffordLeslieGrufford Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Not sure if its been mentioned in the thread but he was in an episode of Doctors a few years ago playing a guy who played a cult TV character like the Doctor, was a good one.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What were the ratings for McCoy?

Not trying to be a troll, it's just that I lost track after Baker.

So Davidson, C Baker, McCoy; Michael Grade aside, what was the trajectory of the series?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    What were the ratings for McCoy?

Not trying to be a troll, it's just that I lost track after Baker.

So Davidson, C Baker, McCoy; Michael Grade aside, what was the trajectory of the series?
    Davison got ratings of 8-9 million in his first season. After that, about 6-7 million. C Baker got between 6-7 million in his first full season, then the Trial of a Timelord season got very poor ratings of 4-5 million. McCoy's weren't much better either, although the show got around 4.5 - 5 million. It was pitched against Coronation Street though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Davison got ratings of 8-9 million in his first season. After that, about 6-7 million. C Baker got between 6-7 million in his first full season, then the Trial of a Timelord season got very poor ratings of 4-5 million. McCoy's weren't much better either, although the show got around 4.5 - 5 million. It was pitched against Coronation Street though.

Corrie on a Saturday? Or was McCoy weekday?

I can't stand soaps, even though DW has some soapy moments.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

McCoy weekday. Wednesday I think.
  • Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

McCoy weekday. The scheduling was delberate, his last season barely hit 4million Survival aside.

Not a fan of McCoy as the Doctor at all but they didn't give him a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not Saturday prime-time?

Didn't know that.

Thanks.
  • Options
    SatmanagerSatmanager Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I was just lucky but I watched the Classic series not in order so I watched my first McCoy Doctor episodes from near the end of series and I liked his Doctor. He wasn't my favorite but he was likable and I would rank him in the top 5 Doctors in my book.

But you are right, once I did watch the earlier years, the productions and his acting were not very good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm very fond of McCoy - he's very much "my Doctor".

Yes, he started off badly by falling back on comedy and slapstick while both he and the writers found a path together that suited him more and I'll admit while he's an incredibly strong theatre actor, his screen work is a little hit-n-miss, even during his stronger serials.

I do find it odd that he couldn't do anger well - that's one of the easiest emotions to play as an actor - but could really do some beautifully introverted, soulful performances at times.

I think the biggest issue was that the style of screen acting used during the era is somewhat old-fashioned today, which means a lot of his better episodes will always suffer. Still, he's a good Doctor, genuinely had the best character development and shouldn't be written off.