Options

three & 2G backup

planetf1planetf1 Posts: 732
Forum Member
✭✭
Out of interest do three have ANY 2G roaming backup in place still?

If not I may just switch my phone to WCDMA only -- though interesting on an S4 I wonder if this is actually LTE/WCDMA. Academic for now... - wondering if it may reduce power usage in signal hunting? Or maybe it will make no difference

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still do down here in Cornwall.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Yes, they still have 2G back up in rural areas and in some deadspots.

They don't have it any cities as far as i'm aware.

Only calls/texts, no data roaming though.

My phone is on WCDMA preferred and haven't noticed any battery life drops.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Scotland north of Glasgow/Edinburgh.

I've not seen any 2G in southern Scotland so far.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    My phone can grab 2G signal in some rural area of NI.
  • Options
    bigpete15bigpete15 Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    drivel wrote: »
    My phone can grab 2G signal in some rural area of NI.

2g backup is still available in all of NI
  • Options
    WelshBluebirdWelshBluebird Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still available at my parents in the south wales valleys
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still available in Leyland, Eccleston, Preston, Garstang and Cockerham.
  • Options
    FortKnoxFortKnox Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Still present in Pontardawe, Swansea and Neath. Bridgend does not.

Newtown in Powys still has it. Shrewsbury doesn't.

All depends how strong there 3g signal is...if it covers an area pretty well they tend to turn 2g backup off.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My 3 phone still roams sometimes in the Midlands.
  • Options
    YogimaxYogimax Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    bigpete15 wrote: »
    2g backup is still available in all of NI

Who is the 2G backup with - EE? And if so will those masts be converted with MBNL to become Three masts?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yogimax wrote: »
    Who is the 2G backup with - EE?

Yes. (Orange)

It was originally O2 up until 2008
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My brother is in Cumbria and is trying out Three using a PAYG sim. He doesn't have any signal at home, but it doesn't appear to roam onto another available 2G network.

Are PAYG sims enabled for roaming - I used the same sim in Lisburn and likewise had no signal and also it never roamed onto Orange? However with a One plan sim, it roams onto Orange when there is no signal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Yes. (Orange)

Will those Orange masts be converted under MBNL to become shared Three masts?
  • Options
    Forum Member

By the end of 2014, yes.

A total of OVER 18,500+ is planned for MBNL

Lord Lucan should be able to confirm if I'm right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I often get 2g on EE in London :(

and i am paying for 4g
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hungover wrote: »
    I often get 2g on EE in London :(

and i am paying for 4g

Well at least you can make that 500mb allowance last longer :D

I kid, I kid! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Yes.
    Most of the orange masts are now upgraded to MBNL.
    As the 3 network in NI gets upgraded into MBNL the equipment added to these site will also have EE 2g
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in North Devon a few weeks back and could get no internet access at all on the phone anywhere. I was just about able to make calls and texts but that was it. Driving back I didn't get a signal again until I was close to Bristol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I was in North Devon a few weeks back and could get no internet access at all on the phone anywhere. I was just about able to make calls and texts but that was it. Driving back I didn't get a signal again until I was close to Bristol.

in my experience most recent smartphones just time out when dealing with the slower protocols. Mind you i am so old that i recall using the blueyonder dial up number on my mobile back in 2003, wow 9.6kbs...

infact i suspect that they still may exist, i used the 0208 number because t-mobile included it as part of my inclusive minutes, not noticing that it was data.

not sure if any newer platforms support DUN. I guess you could use an old Symbian and BT DUN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes.
    As the 3 network in NI gets upgraded into MBNL the equipment added to these site will also have EE 2g

How can you find out when the other masts will be done - in my area at home I have no Three coverage, but have good Orange / EE coverage.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    Yes.

Most? Still a large number left to be done..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most? Still a large number left to be done..

I was replying to yogimax asking about the upgrade of sites in NI. The old orange 2g sites are nearly all upgraded to 3G / MBNL now
  • Options
    rightonpardrightonpard Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    All, or near as damn it, all of North Wales still has 2G national roaming on Orange.

(I refuse to say on EE, because that implies you can connect to T-Mobile as a 2G fallback as well, which you cannot. To clarify, where Three 2G backup is still available, it is, and only ever has been possible to connect to sites identifying as Orange, and not T-Mobile)

And to reiterate what others have said, where 2G is available, it is only calls and texts, there is no data available, i.e no GPRS.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All, or near as damn it, all of North Wales still has 2G national roaming on Orange.

(I refuse to say on EE, because that implies you can connect to T-Mobile as a 2G fallback as well, which you cannot. To clarify, where Three 2G backup is still available, it is, and only ever has been possible to connect to sites identifying as Orange, and not T-Mobile)

And to reiterate what others have said, where 2G is available, it is only calls and texts, there is no data available, i.e no GPRS.

Yeah though to be fair even on T-Mobile and Orange you would struggle get a 3G signal lets hope that the government grant improves wales cell phone coverage. Though on saying that I visited Northop about 3 weeks ago which is just inside the welsh border about 10 miles west of chester and had a 3G signal there. So at least some of wales seems to be on 3G though probably very little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was replying to yogimax asking about the upgrade of sites in NI. The old orange 2g sites are nearly all upgraded to 3G / MBNL now

Will T-Mobile sites be upgraded as part of MBNL as well? If so, are they on a different schedule?