Options

Ryanair launches aggressive fair cuts...I wonder why?

PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
Forum Member
"Ryanair will launch 'aggressive' fare promotions this winter after harsh competition and weak bookings forced it to admit today that profits this year will disappoint investors.
Shares in the budget airline plunged by as much as 15 per cent after it said falling prices and low bookings this autumn meant that profits would be at or below the lower end of City forecasts. "
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2410969/Ryanair-cut-fares-aggressively-profit-warning-sends-shares-tumbling-14.html

Maybe its because the ordinary customers see through their cheap policy as not really being cheap at all and they get soaked in all types of add on and stealth charges by O'Leary and Ryanair.

Good to see potential customers voting with their credit cards and going to other more decent airlines who look after their customers and not treat them as cash cows to be conned.

And lets not forget how they treat their pilots and staff.

Hopefully next headline about Ryanair will be that they have gone bust.

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes - thousands of people losing their jobs and millions of people having their travel plans ruined would be great news wouldn't it?

I'm not the biggest fan of their services business practices either but I don't want them to go bust.
  • Options
    StillAliveStillAlive Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good to see potential customers voting with their credit cards and going to other more decent airlines who look after their customers and not treat them as cash cows to be conned.

So which airline is run as a charity?

They are there to make money. Don't like the business, use a different one. You can only feel ripped of if you use them. We have used them loads, and never paid more than we wanted to. Can't remember ever having to pay some hidden charge.
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    I used to work for Ryanair and in all honestly I would never fly on one of their planes
  • Options
    BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Ryanair has legal teams to support.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,240
    Forum Member
    "Ryanair will launch 'aggressive' fare promotions this winter after harsh competition and weak bookings forced it to admit today that profits this year will disappoint investors.
    Shares in the budget airline plunged by as much as 15 per cent after it said falling prices and low bookings this autumn meant that profits would be at or below the lower end of City forecasts. "
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2410969/Ryanair-cut-fares-aggressively-profit-warning-sends-shares-tumbling-14.html

Maybe its because the ordinary customers see through their cheap policy as not really being cheap at all and they get soaked in all types of add on and stealth charges by O'Leary and Ryanair.

And lets not forget how they treat their pilots and staff.

How do they treat their pilots and staff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I used to work for Ryanair and in all honestly I would never fly on one of their planes

Why is that? Is it their almost perfect safety record?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Good news! I'm sorry but I don't care about anything else when it comes to flights apart from price. If they lower their prices, I'll fly with them. It's as simple as that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why is that? Is it their almost perfect safety record?

For reasons I am not going to go into in this thread, many airlines have 'almost' perfect safety records
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do they treat their pilots and staff?

disgracefully
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For reasons I am not going to go into in this thread, many airlines have 'almost' perfect safety records

Great post then. Thanks for enlightening us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    disgracefully

How though?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    How though?

They aren't going to discuss it. Why they mention it to begin with then is a mystery in of itself.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's because Michael O'Leary has a fear of merry-go-rounds.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    People have coped on now that its often cheaper to book another airline and not have to add on all the extra costs as you go along . If I can get a flight not all the much more expensive than Ryanair I will always take the alternative now .
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sootysoo wrote: »
    They aren't going to discuss it. Why they mention it to begin with then is a mystery in of itself.

On a recent t.v. programme they showed how the cabin staff are paid peanuts but have to make their money from commission by selling food and drinks and lottery tickets, and they are given targets which they have to achieve even though they are almost impossible.
    I forget what happened with the pilots but one was sacked recently for blabbing to the media about Ryanair.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They may be planning fare cuts but I still have zero desire to fly with them.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I've flown Ryanair once because I had no choice, Dodging the traps on the website when booking and being bulldozed into the plane there and back isn't much fun. They fall below my minimum required levels of service. Basically they're not good enough for me. Sounds snobby but that's how I feel about it.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know a pilot who used to fly for Ryanair, and what he says about the company's shoddy practices and treatment of aircrew (in relation to safety) is shocking. He's actually surprised that there hasn't been a major incident involving one of the fleet yet and refuses to let his family fly on the airline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    I know a pilot who used to fly for Ryanair, and what he says about the company's shoddy practices and treatment of aircrew (in relation to safety) is shocking. He's actually surprised that there hasn't been a major incident involving one of the fleet yet and refuses to let his family fly on the airline.

Honestly I could tell you stuff that would make your hair curl, I worked for ryanair, easyjet and thompson and I would fly with the latter two any day.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've flown rather cheaply to Ireland several times with Ryanair. I've never had an issue, except one that was caused by myself sleeping in and missing my plane.

They still managed to get me home too.

They're your basic no frills airline, and I don't understand why so many take exception to them.

I prefer to fly with other airlines but I wouldn't turn my nose up at a cheap Ryanair flight if I was strapped for cash.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People have coped on now that its often cheaper to book another airline and not have to add on all the extra costs as you go along . If I can get a flight not all the much more expensive than Ryanair I will always take the alternative now .

Perhaps they're also more adept at navigating their way around Ryanair's minefield of a website, with less chance of clicking an inadvertent extra or having to pay some penalty charge.
  • Options
    MurraymarMurraymar Posts: 4,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem with Ryanair, thanks to it, I've been to many countries that I would never have dreamed of visiting. Don't like them don't use them.
  • Options
    UnfinishedDreamUnfinishedDream Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    Murraymar wrote: »
    I have no problem with Ryanair, thanks to it, I've been to many countries that I would never have dreamed of visiting. Don't like them don't use them.
    Tell me which countries you went to! :p
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Murraymar wrote: »

Many people are. That's the point.