Options

Darford Crossing Shut

occyoccy Posts: 65,333
Forum Member
✭✭
Darford Crossing in Kent has been shut due to a security alert after a man walking around suspiciously was arrested.

Yet again people are stuck on this horrendous M25.

http://www.itv.com/news/london/story/2013-09-06/incident-closes-dartford-crossing/

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be the usual fuss over nothing
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it will only make it marginally worse than it normally is to be honest
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can people coming from Essex who live in Kent find "alternative routes" ?

The only realistic thing they could do is park up somewhere and head down to Tilbury to get the ferry and hope to go and get their car tomorrow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suspicious package has been found.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some guy was acting suspiciously with a suspicious item according to the BBC.
  • Options
    ukpukp Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    "Police were called to the Dartford Crossing at 4pm today (Friday, 6 September) following a report that a male pedestrian was behaving unusually. The male has been arrested. Officers have located a suspicious item and have closed the crossing whilst enquiries continue. The crossing will be closed for some time and motorists are advised to find alternative routes."

http://www.southendandchelmsfordradio.com/news/news.asp

Really feel for those people stuck. I live not to far and was planning nipping to the tesco at lakeside but think I'll give that a miss now.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    With due respect to the seriousness of this incident, let's face it, crossing on a Friday evening takes ages anyway.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

The only realistic thing they could do is park up somewhere and head down to Tilbury to get the ferry and hope to go and get their car tomorrow.

That's what I was thinking. There is no (realistic) alternative route.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I was thinking. There is no (realistic) alternative route.

Which is unusual because the last time the topic of removing tolls and letting 4 lanes flow through was raised, Dartford River Crossing said they couldn't do that as there would be too much extra traffic from all the people who use alternative routes to avoid the £1 (at the time) toll, suddenly flooding back.

Oh yes, I'd certainly drive up the A2, Blackwall tunnel and back out on the M11 to dodge a £1.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What if you have got a cross channel ferry or train to catch?
  • Options
    warmleatherettewarmleatherette Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    Which is unusual because the last time the topic of removing tolls and letting 4 lanes flow through was raised, Dartford River Crossing said they couldn't do that as there would be too much extra traffic from all the people who use alternative routes to avoid the £1 (at the time) toll, suddenly flooding back.

Oh yes, I'd certainly drive up the A2, Blackwall tunnel and back out on the M11 to dodge a £1.

20 years ago we used to do just that, Oh the joys of paid by the hour for travel, with the increase in traffic I don't think the extra time it would take would make it viable these days though :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah and that will be choked up.
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

As an alternative, I once tried to be clever and used the Woolwich Ferry. :eek: Never again - I'd rather walk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

You'd be stuffed basically.

My sister who's on her way home on the Kent side said she heard someone on the train saying someone had jumped off a coach waving a gun and that it was a "coach full of terrorists" ..
    that in itself seems absurd, but the ITV update page has tweets from people who say the police did surround a coach so there might be something in it.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    There have been so many dodgy threads today that I actually read this thread title as Dartford Crossing ****...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another tweet says "nutter running around the tolls trying to get into cars, suspicious package on a coach..."

also ..

"Bomb disposal unit and two ambulances just gone by on hard shoulder 1 mile before A2 junction"
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »

Whilst inconvenient I am sure if this turned out to be a serious incident people would rather be late than not get there at all.
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May sister has drove from Bluewater to Eltham to have a wee at my house then done Blackwall tunnel andback to Basildon when itS been shut before to get home from work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Croctacus wrote: »
    May sister has drove from Bluewater to Eltham to have a wee at my house then done Blackwall tunnel andback to Basildon when itS been shut before to get home from work.

There's that I suppose, as well as the Woolwich Ferry. But then I imagine if you're one of the unlucky ones stuck on the approach to the bridge, you're pretty buggered
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now if someone say - " did plant a bomb and all the vehicles are on the Bridge it'll be a nightmare if it went off"
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can go a alternative route -

Up the A13 - Blackwall tunnel - South circular!

But that doesn't help the people stuck on the actual motorway which has barriers blocking them from turning round!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it funny Sky news aren't mentioning this really, normally they would be all over it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Now if someone say - " did plant a bomb and all the vehicles are on the Bridge it'll be a nightmare if it went off"

But just think of how many threads you'd get out of that!
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been so many dodgy threads today that I actually read this thread title as Dartford Crossing ****...
    I know what you mean. I found myself chuckling like a 13 year old at "suspicious package". I blame that Northcroft thread. It's smut overload.