Options

Christopher Eccleston "I love The Doctor"

Comments

• Options
    TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people don't seem to understand (or don't want to) that if Eccleston hadn't been so bloody good in the first series we may not have had a second. As far as I'm concerned he should get respect for that.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puts me off him, sorry (though of course dalek is entitled to his opinion).

And, as I said, I bet Chris himself would cringe a bit on reading it. :D

You're judging him based on an anonymous poster from DS?

That makes even less sense than the ones throwing abusive language at him.
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to argue with you as I have no argument. At least when it comes to DT. I love him to. And I hope I mostly get when you've got tongue in cheek..otherwise our clique is useless.

I just do think you are being a bit double standards when it comes to CE. I think if some of the comments on this thread had been aimed at him you would be rightly outraged.

I happen to like CE alot. I did so since 'Our friends in the North'. I think he's an amazing actor. But I don't idolise him. I just think he is being unfairly attacked for no good reason.

If David Tennant had read the script and considered his position and decided he didn't want to do the fiftieth would it be fair to commence open season on him and insult him? Because he didn't have to do it.

It could happen to Smith in a few years.

I have only one expectation of anyone involved in the show. That they do the best they can. And CE did that. You might not like him much as a Doctor but he helped make the show when it came back. He gave us eleven fantastic episodes which in turn gave us the years of enjoyment we have since had. DW could've been cancelled straight away if it had gone wrong. Thanks to Chris and Piper and of course RTD it didn't.

Why should he be subject to pathetic insults because he didn't want to come back? I cannot fathom that mentality.

Which are the two you don't like?
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,932
    Forum Member
    Hmm, well it's all a bit of mute point now seeing as it looks like it was only one member throwing the insults around, cunningly disguised as several members, and to think that they had the nerve to call someone else a dick :rolleyes:
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which are the two you don't like?

I could pretend that wasn't a typo and say Slitheen two parter but I can't because he was amazing in that as well. So yeah. Just a dopey typo.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is a rather strange thread, and I'm actually proud to belong to the reasonable "brigade" for a change.

I'm happy to admit that I really like CE as an actor, and I honestly can't see anything wrong with his actions. I dont' think he is a saint, a luvie or I haven't put him onto a pedestal.

It's strange that those accusing the defenders of irrational love, just show IMO irrational dislike. "Oh, I don't like him because he didn't film the regeneration scene, I don't like him because other posters like and defend him." and that there seems to be at least one person who has two accounts.

It's actually entirely amusing, how people show themselves up as hypocrites and then claim that they are bored with the thread or that they only respond because other posters put CE on a pedestal. I personally wouldn't be so hypocritical. I would have been surprised if David didn't want to take part in the 50th (let's face it, he will definitely be back for the 100th anniversary), but I would have understood if he didn't want to be back (particularly if his career in the USA would have taken off). The same with Matt, if he doesn't want to come back in the future, because he is trying to make his mark elsewhere, then so be it!

CE is an actor, probably not someone I would necessarily want to work with or even have a beer with (he is quite angular and very intensive). However, he did a good job 8 years ago, he still gives the writer and crew their credit and he has been polite about the show. Shoot him for that.

On a positive note, I did a rewatch of that first series because of this thread, and I must say it was brilliant!:D

Edit: Scrap my own bit in bold, what am I saying:eek:. Of course I would want to have a beer with him and work with him:D. I want to meet all the Doctors (even if I can't meet the first three anymore:cry:).
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    I did read your post. Sorry if I am boring you, but I'm trying to understand where you are coming from and failing, because it does very much come across as you having double standards.

I apologise, Muttley; I didn't mean your posts were boring me, I meant the whole subject of Eccleston, and the fact that I keep having to repeat my posts because people keep making the same points and asking me the same things.

Maybe I do have double standards - I don't really care so you (not you personally Muttley, you CE fans in general) can beat me up about it as much as you like. Please feel free. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edit: No bloody point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silence will fall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silence will fall.

Good.

(Sorry, I have a last word complex. :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good.

(Sorry, I have a last word complex. :D)

well I have a God Complex. So consider this the final word!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.:p

Ok. You win.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok. You win.

Thanks. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PRAISE HIM
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe the thread should end with Chris:p:D.

Interview with Chris from the Heaven and Earth Show, I love how he plays with the Dalek at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx5U_mFQ3sA
  • Options
    IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris is also a relitively young man.

If his career goes south by the time he's in his 60s or 70s (not saying it will, just IF ;) ) then I'm sure it makes him feel secure knowing he has a pension plan in hand.
    He could live off Who conventions if the acting work dries up.

Must be a good thing to know for all the Doctors, really.

You mean the actors are paid for appearing at conventions? £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$
    By the time of the 100th anniversary of Doctor Who, if he's still with us at all, he will likely need a chairlift or get about like Davros.

...or if I'm still with you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an odd, but entertaining thread
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Barrowman, at a recent convention, talking about working with Eccleston

"I enjoyed working with Chris....

"I think I scared Chris [with my] bounding energy..

"i'm a good judge of person and Chris was not the sort of person I could play a joke with.. as an actor I know that, so I'm not going to [play jokes]..

"he was lovely to work with.. a nice guy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRka3S8oHM
  • Options
    tszujmetszujme Posts: 1,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris is a lovely man with a strong sense of integrity, and he always speaks warmly of DW in private (I have worked with him). As for the 50th no one knows the full story. I've only heard little bits and pieces but he didn't drop out until fairly late in the day, he didn't reject it out of hand. I don't know the reason why he dropped out but apparently they really mucked him about. Even David T was really pissed off over how DW mucked him about when it came to asking him to be in the 50th (you'd be amazed how late they contacted him about being in it) and dithering over dates and if you know how obsessive he is about DW that is saying a lot.
    So the ones that upset CE (though, interestingly none of the other cast at the time were upset by them) are all gone.
    SexyDavros wrote: »
    STUNNING isn't it, that NO SINGLE MEMBER OF THE CREW has ever made comments on how they were mistreated. In this media frenzy world we live in, where people can flog their story for cash.......... NOTHING !!!!!!!!!!!
    They were, and they have. Just because none of the other leads have stated as such to the press doesn't mean they weren't upset at Boak's behaviour and how it was handled. A number of extras and minor crew members DID speak out publicly (online) about the bullying, it just didn't get into the press. Few actors would be willing to complain to the press, especially for a TV show they were still on. Get them talking privately and it is a VERY different matter. "A TV director no one's ever heard of is a bully, claims some random extra" wouldn't exactly bring in the big money from the tabloids, and anyone selling a story like that would never work again. And the standard join form for all the big extras agencies includes a clause about not speaking to the press or posting online anything about the production. They overlook most online stuff but selling a "bullying on set" story to the press is a different matter.

The fact Boak never worked for DW again speaks volumes.
    As someone who hasn't been around at that time with whom did Eccleston actually have a problem? RTD? Julie Gardner? Or someone else? Cause I was just watching the interview with him on the series 1 DVD and he basically just kept repeating that the reason why he accepted the job in the first place was because what a great writer RTD was etc., so it just seemed strange to me if his feud were with RTD.
    One of the directors, Keith Boak, who bullied minor crew and extras quite badly. Chris was also unhappy with how Phil Collinson handled (or didn't handle) those problems. The filming for S1 was totally FUBAR though. They were badly behind schedule almost right from the start and the scheduling was a total nightmare, there was one night shoot where he was on the call sheet but wound up not filming but sitting in his trailer all night because they didn't get to his scenes. His father was also seriously ill and he was travelling between home and set. I don't think Chris had any beef with RTD because he still praises him, though he did have a problem with some of the writing on DW. He signed up based on RTD's writing in 'The Second Coming' so he wasn't expecting farting aliens and wheelie bins eating people.

Btw Chris is on the record as saying he only does Hollywood dross for the money, to subsidise his theatre, indie film and UK TV career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rionia wrote: »
    John Barrowman, at a recent convention, talking about working with Eccleston

"I enjoyed working with Chris....

"I think I scared Chris [with my] bounding energy..

"i'm a good judge of person and Chris was not the sort of person I could play a joke with.. as an actor I know that, so I'm not going to [play jokes]..

"he was lovely to work with.. a nice guy..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QRka3S8oHM

What type of jokes does he mean? We all have a different sense of humour and we can't all find the same type of pranks funny. Billie Piper said in her book that CE had a great sense of humour, so it will be churlish to say that someone had no humour. Maybe they both just had a different type of humour
  • Options
    rioniarionia Posts: 1,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    What type of jokes does he mean? We all have a different sense of humour and we can't all find the same type of pranks funny. Billie Piper said in her book that CE had a great sense of humour, so it will be churlish to say that someone had no humour. Maybe they both just had a different type of humour

What JB is known for :o
    Basically JB kept them tucked away when CE was around
  • Options
    InNoctemInNoctem Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    tszujme wrote: »
    Chris is a lovely man with a strong sense of integrity, and he always speaks warmly of DW in private (I have worked with him). As for the 50th no one knows the full story. I've only heard little bits and pieces but he didn't drop out until fairly late in the day, he didn't reject it out of hand. I don't know the reason why he dropped out but apparently they really mucked him about. Even David T was really pissed off over how DW mucked him about when it came to asking him to be in the 50th (you'd be amazed how late they contacted him about being in it) and dithering over dates and if you know how obsessive he is about DW that is saying a lot.

They were, and they have. Just because none of the other leads have stated as such to the press doesn't mean they weren't upset at Boak's behaviour and how it was handled. A number of extras and minor crew members DID speak out publicly (online) about the bullying, it just didn't get into the press. Few actors would be willing to complain to the press, especially for a TV show they were still on. Get them talking privately and it is a VERY different matter. "A TV director no one's ever heard of is a bully, claims some random extra" wouldn't exactly bring in the big money from the tabloids, and anyone selling a story like that would never work again. And the standard join form for all the big extras agencies includes a clause about not speaking to the press or posting online anything about the production. They overlook most online stuff but selling a "bullying on set" story to the press is a different matter.

The fact Boak never worked for DW again speaks volumes.

One of the directors, Keith Boak, who bullied minor crew and extras quite badly. Chris was also unhappy with how Phil Collinson handled (or didn't handle) those problems. The filming for S1 was totally FUBAR though. They were badly behind schedule almost right from the start and the scheduling was a total nightmare, there was one night shoot where he was on the call sheet but wound up not filming but sitting in his trailer all night because they didn't get to his scenes. His father was also seriously ill and he was travelling between home and set. I don't think Chris had any beef with RTD because he still praises him, though he did have a problem with some of the writing on DW. He signed up based on RTD's writing in 'The Second Coming' so he wasn't expecting farting aliens and wheelie bins eating people.

Btw Chris is on the record as saying he only does Hollywood dross for the money, to subsidise his theatre, indie film and UK TV career.

This sounds like a very honest account. Thanks for sharing. Hope to shut up CE's naysayers now.
  • Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tszujme wrote: »
    I don't think Chris had any beef with RTD because he still praises him, though he did have a problem with some of the writing on DW. He signed up based on RTD's writing in 'The Second Coming' so he wasn't expecting farting aliens and wheelie bins eating people.

Hardly a major part of the series :rolleyes: