Options

Homes Under The Hammer!!

SJFerrolSJFerrol Posts: 357
Forum Member
Am I the only one who gets annoyed when they decorate the house so damn cheaply! lol

Comments

• Options
    Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I've often wondered how they do it so cheaply - guess family/friends chip in for free.
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When they re visited the last house I couldn't tell whether it was a before or after :eek: What an awful colour scheme and horrible choice of carpet, maybe just as well that they have put their "property developing" days behind them!
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    I suppose when they're doing the houses up to rent them out, they don't see the point in spending much on decorating (especially carpets). Some of the finishes are appalling though!

What amuses me is when there are huge cracks in a house, but when they go back a few months later, the owners invariably say that they had a builder/surveyor/bloke down the pub look at them and they were nothing to worry about so they just filled them in and painted over them!
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since property became a get rich quick scheme in the late 80s, little effort has gone in and most of them are done on the cheap. My neighbour tried the same thing - but 7 years later, he still cannot sell it! :D

Up to 2008, it was always about the massive resale profit, but since then, it has always been about the rental yield.:rolleyes: However, they never price these things properly as there is the money you could have made in the time doing something else or returns your money could have made on the stock market plus of course the tax and disposal costs etc.
  • Options
    Dr.  OtterblandDr. Otterbland Posts: 783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's gonna be taken as racist but, its quite marked the number of Asian buyers of property at HUTH auctions.

So I'll ask the same question as gets asked of the Gypsy Community when Big Fat Tarty Traveller's Wedding Thing is on : Where the bloody hell do they get all that money from ?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJFerrol wrote: »
    Am I the only one who gets annoyed when they decorate the house so damn cheaply! lol

Yes, whenever I get tradesmen it, it's always a few hundred quid for the smallest job. On HUTH, you get whole houses rewired, replastered and redecorated with new windows, carpets and new kitchen/bathroom for next to nothing.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's gonna be taken as racist but, its quite marked the number of Asian buyers of property at HUTH auctions.

So I'll ask the same question as gets asked of the Gypsy Community when Big Fat Tarty Traveller's Wedding Thing is on : Where the bloody hell do they get all that money from ?

Why are you suspicious of Asian people? Plenty of Asian people are degree educated and have the fortitude to work hard and save.

The house next to ours featured on HUTH back in January and after being bought by a lovely guy who is a teacher and happens to be Asian :smile:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are you suspicious of Asian people? Plenty of Asian people are degree educated and

Not suspicious, just curious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was just editing my post as I replied in error.
    I'm curious as to why you are curious about Asian people being able to afford property ? A lot of people in a well paid job that live at home with parents can do it, regardless of race.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of Asian businesses draw their capital from the extended family, friends etc. rather than one person putting it up. However, all you see on HUTH is the front man.

I suppose they have moved on from corner shops!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of Asian businesses draw their capital from the extended family, friends etc. rather than one person putting it up. However, all you see on HUTH is the front man.

I suppose they have moved on from corner shops!;)

Wow you must be living in the 70's with comments like that! BTW my family never owned a corner shop - my dad just worked damn hard and was able to retire at 55.... he came to this country at 23 with nothing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We take advantage of a good education system, we work hard and we want to make sure we have security and so buy property as that's a solid investment.

Simple really, you should try it...
  • Options
    deltadelta Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They work hard that's why!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Wow you must be living in the 70's with comments like that! BTW my family never owned a corner shop - my dad just worked damn hard and was able to retire at 55.... he came to this country at 23 with nothing.

It was a joke. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member

Working? Re-mortgaging their own homes or previous investment properties - much the same as everyone else I would think. Mind you, since you mention them, round here many of the landlords are Gypsies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Working? Re-mortgaging their own homes or previous investment properties - much the same as everyone else I would think. Mind you, since you mention them, round here many of the landlords are Gypsies.

Not really the same as everyone else, we have to go the Bank manager or use our savings or pensions.

The Asian guy you see on HUTH has probably got a well connected and extended wealthy family who are willing to give him a financial leg-up in his quest to make a killing in the property business.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really the same as everyone else, we have to go the Bank manager or use our savings or pensions.

The Asian guy you see on HUTH has probably got a well connected and extended wealthy family who are willing to give him a financial leg-up in his quest to make a killing in the property business.

It's not just Asian families that have the means to do it. My brother in law owns a string of student properties. He didn't leave home till his early thirties though but he had taken out endowment policies in his early twenties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes the houses look better before, I love the retro look of clashing curtains walls and carpets, then they do the make over and it's boring wooden floors or cream carpets, cream walls and black sofas .

Every house looks the same in the end.
  • Options
    ProgRockerProgRocker Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day off today so I watched this. Nice to see 2 out of the 3 (well maybe all three, lost interest by the third) were homes bought to live in. :)

I did smirk when the music played during the revisit of the 2nd property was 'Dirty Cash' by The Adventures of Stevie V. Although they edited the chorus to include the singer singing 'Money Talks' but left out 'Dirty Cash I want you....' :rolleyes:
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ProgRocker wrote: »
    Day off today so I watched this. Nice to see 2 out of the 3 (well maybe all three, lost interest by the third) were homes bought to live in. :)

I did smirk when the music played during the revisit of the 2nd property was 'Dirty Cash' by The Adventures of Stevie V. Although they edited the chorus to include the singer singing 'Money Talks' but left out 'Dirty Cash I want you....' :rolleyes:

I love the music links, so cheesy they're brilliant. I was watching an old one on one of the crappy Digital Channels yesterday and as Martin walked around a vast empty office block they played a line from an old Phil Collins song... "...there's just an empty space..." Made me laugh out loud. :)
  • Options
    japarajapara Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hated what was done to the Victorian terrace today. With all that ground floor space I dislike coming straight in from the front door into all the open living space. The 'oak paneling' on the staircase looked like chip board! and the daft low concrete shelf where they originally thought there was a fireplace, added nothing to the aesthetics and limited the ability to rearrange furniture as that wall could not be used.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Nikkiclody wrote: »
    Sometimes the houses look better before, I love the retro look of clashing curtains walls and carpets, then they do the make over and it's boring wooden floors or cream carpets, cream walls and black sofas .

Every house looks the same in the end.

Totally agree. I know if you're doing up a house to rent or re-sell it makes sense to keep the design and decor as bland and neutral as possible. But it makes for dull television after a while. I never watch this programme anymore.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    japara wrote: »
    Hated what was done to the Victorian terrace today. With all that ground floor space I dislike coming straight in from the front door into all the open living space. The 'oak paneling' on the staircase looked like chip board! and the daft low concrete shelf where they originally thought there was a fireplace, added nothing to the aesthetics and limited the ability to rearrange furniture as that wall could not be used.

Hey you ain't a spacial designer, man, what do you know? ;)

I thought they promised us a "statement" staircase or something like that? Yeah, it was chipboard hiding a downstairs loo, sorry, cloakroom! :D
  • Options
    mklassmklass Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japara wrote: »

And....... however would you heat it comfortably in the winter was my thought?... One of my daughters lives in a 'small' 2 bedroomed house that is open planned and i think it is uncomfortably cold during winter evenings!.. and she does at least have carpet down!... all that space and wooden floors doesn't appeal to me!....
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    What annoys me about this show is that nearly all the houses are dingy hellholes full of damp and rot. Do people not look at the house before buying? I know they're auction houses but are they really all as bad as the ones shown on HUTH ?