Options

Sara Cox Joins Radio 2

FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,854
Forum Member
Just announced onChris Evans Breakfast Show that Sara will be joining Radio 2 for her first regular show each Saturday night from 10pm to midnight, it's an 80's Show to compliment the weekend 60's and 70's decade shows.

Looking forward to this but does this mean the end of Dave Pearce's Dance Years?

Starts 5th October.

Comments

• Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Just announced onChris Evans Breakfast Show that Sara will be joining Radio 2 for her first regular show each Saturday night from 10pm to midnight, it's an 80's Show to compliment the weekend 60's and 70's decade shows.

Looking forward to this but does this mean the end of Dave Pearce's Dance Years?

Starts 5th October.

Full details here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/radio-two-new-schedule.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SouthCity wrote: »

Thanks for that, as I predicted in another thread just last week, Jo Whiley gets an extra 30 minutes Monday to Thursday so she will now stay on air till 10pm

Both positive moves in my opinion.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was speculated Chris Moyles was going to do a show similar to that earlier this year. Good luck to Sara.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Thanks for that, as I predicted in another thread just last week, Jo Whiley gets an extra 30 minutes Monday to Thursday so she will now stay on air till 10pm

Both positive moves in my opinion.

Moving towards more balanced schedule.
  • Options
    thelockupthelockup Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    to be honest i think a talented presenter like Sara being shoved to once a week at a time of 10-12am is a bit harsh, i think she would be more deserving in a more prominent role on R2. saying that, i love the idea of an "sounds of the 80's" programme and im sure Sara will do it justice.

and i dream of the day where they ditch Evens and she does R2 breakfast..........
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,408
    Forum Member
    thelockup wrote: »
    to be honest i think a talented presenter like Sara being shoved to once a week at a time of 10-12am is a bit harsh, i think she would be more deserving in a more prominent role on R2. saying that, i love the idea of an "sounds of the 80's" programme and im sure Sara will do it justice.

and i dream of the day where they ditch Evens and she does R2 breakfast..........

Well she was a failure at Radio 1 breakfast, lost lots of listeners and needed Moyles to get ten back.

Why we she do any better on Radio 2 breakfast?

Maybe not saying soon to be decseased members of the royal family smell of urine would be a start!
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't wish to appear rude but what planet are you on. I don't know how she has held her job for so long on national radio.
    She might sound good in Bolton but do me a favour its not a pretty sound
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As long as she speaks at the slower pace she did on her covder slots she will be okay.

But feel that the 'easy listening' is become more marginalised.
    Hidden past 11pm (Organist entertains and Listen to the Band).
    Although Clare Teal has an earlier start/longer show...how long before 10pm-midnight Sunday becomes a more upbear programme (more weekday sounding?).
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,856
    Forum Member
    I like Sara, she used to get on my nerves in her laddette days, but in recent years, she has matured into a nice presenter. I wouldn't really say she was a failure at breakfast either, she steadied the ship after a few years of termoil in that slot.
    However - if it is to be 'Sounds of the 80's', i'd rather someone like, Richard Skinner do that sort of show, who was a chart DJ and also was hosting the pre Peel indie slot on 2 seperate occasions. i guess this show will be more Kajagoogoo than Cocteau Twins
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,856
    Forum Member
    PS The Kennedy assassination minute by minute - bit macabre innit??
  • Options
    nikobatallonesnikobatallones Posts: 4,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    They did the exact thing for the Titanic sinking, so...
  • Options
    simonk243simonk243 Posts: 3,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pleased for Sara, but no one has mentioned the fact it replaces Dave Pearce's show The Dance Years, an excellent show in my opinion when it first went on Radio2 I thought what the .... but you have to think if you were a fan of dance music from the late 80s to early 00s unfortunately we are in the target age range of Radio2now :o

The article I read said Dave's show would be back for a 13 part show in 2014 so Sara's show may not be permanent either ?

Wouldnt an 80s show like Sara's be better during the day on a weekend or early evening anyway ?
  • Options
    thelockupthelockup Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    AL89 wrote: »
    I don't wish to appear rude but what planet are you on. I don't know how she has held her job for so long on national radio.
    She might sound good in Bolton but do me a favour its not a pretty sound

okay first up, you were a little rude, but i guess your entitled to your opinion, as am i.

secondly, she may not be to your tastes but she was to mine, and obviously not just mine as she as a following of listeners. breakfast didnt go well admititly, but drive went well and weekends, and she wouldnt of been seleted to sit in for Jo and Fearne when they took maternity.

so to sum up, i like her, you dont. swings and roundabouts my good man, swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is excellent news. I love Sara, her humour and her DJ style. And 80's music is great for her.

Very excited!
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

bang, bang, dead.

Short show eh?
  • Options
    RadioJohnRadioJohn Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I welcome the addition of an *80's show to Radio 2 but i would much prefer an 80's Dj to present the show, Mike Read, Richard Skinner, or Gary Davies, But not Sara I think she is to young for it !!
  • Options
    AL89AL89 Posts: 2,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    okay first up, you were a little rude, but i guess your entitled to your opinion, as am i.

secondly, she may not be to your tastes but she was to mine, and obviously not just mine as she as a following of listeners. breakfast didnt go well admititly, but drive went well and weekends, and she wouldnt of been seleted to sit in for Jo and Fearne when they took maternity.

so to sum up, i like her, you dont. swings and roundabouts my good man, swings and roundabouts.

sorry didn't mean to be even a little rude. It seems to me that R2 really is R1.5 I feel that the Cox's, Lamaq's, Whilley's should still be on R1 if not then 6 music. I feel a generation of presenters were left out .
  • Options
    PDMBPDMB Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it not time people moved on and accepted Vanessa is now the Early Breakfast Show host? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    She is the cbb's Charlotte of Radio, a foul mouthed gobshyte
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    I welcome the addition of an *80's show to Radio 2 but i would much prefer an 80's Dj to present the show, Mike Read, Richard Skinner, or Gary Davies, But not Sara I think she is to young for it !!

I agree with this. :)
  • Options
    Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

Oh Lord no, please. She was the final nail in the coffin that drove me away from Radio 1
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AL89 wrote: »
    . It seems to me that R2 really is R1.5 I feel that the Cox's, Lamaq's, Whilley's should still be on R1 if not then 6 music. I feel a generation of presenters were left out .

I guess it is the times & it is right that R2 refresh themselves now & then but as long as they don't forget its core purpose of easy listening.

I have grown to like Cox but not sure if she is the right person as she would of been in her teens in the late 80s.
    I would of gone for Gary Davis.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioJohn wrote: »
    Heavenly wrote: »
    I agree with this. :)

You both just made me feel really old.
  • Options
    colly_tygcolly_tyg Posts: 1,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    ...she would of been in her teens in the late 80s.

Maybe it's a good idea to have someone who grew up listening to the music, rather than someone who was playing the music and pretending to be poptasically excited.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simonk243 wrote: »

The article I read said Dave's show would be back for a 13 part show in 2014 so Sara's show may not be permanent either ?

Wouldnt an 80s show like Sara's be better during the day on a weekend or early evening anyway ?

I'd expect Dave's show to be cut back to an hour and get one of the 11pm slots Monday to Thursday as and when it returns.

The Saturday 6-8pm slot would have been better in my opinion for an 80's Show.