Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I cannot believe so many people thought this was a better episode than last week. I cannot fathom how they made that opinion.

I hated it.

I'm with dcdmfan who said LG was shrewish again. She can't say anything without it being bitchy to DM. Really, pushing the pencils on the kitchen table; how childish! I found her terribly annoying the whole show and yes, very much back to S5.

In fact, this whole episode could have fit into the middle of season five. All gone were the first episode long sentences of DM, the romance, their looks and touches, the kisses, the joking the laughter. If this is what Ben Bolt thought S6 should look like, I'm glad he's gone!

They repeated the nutritional dinner with almost the same veggies, and the salt comment. They repeated the person with the neurosis type neat freak tendencies as we saw with the neurotic OCD teacher. Al is kicked out of his bedroom like he was when Mickey was there. They repeated the same child care problems, with LG leaving JH with DM. There was hardly any originality to the story.

What a lack of creativity!

I did love seeing DM working on his clocks again! I hated that LG can't spend even a few minutes with her husband, enjoying his hobby with him, supporting him, but has to storm out when in a few minutes of his free time he doesn't celebrate their two week anniversary but enjoys a hobby he has clear expertise in. But, of course expects, she expects him to cater to attending her school show.

I can't believe that she yells at DM for the terrible dinner party when he righteously states she called the Chair a moron and the couple drunks. Really, she comes off as a terribly unpleasant woman to me the whole episode!

Sure, DM has reverted too--he's more monosyllabic, and very rough and rude to patients and the first baby sitter.

I was also disappointed with the idea that DM missed the diagnosis of the Parkinson's fellow as a big thing happening this season. Actually, DM did pretty well. The fellow was was drinking the two times DM saw him--after the school show and then at his dinner party--so it was logical to assume he was a drunk. I mean, his wife was drinking like an alcoholic at dinner. Coming upon him on the ground, nearly immediately DM pieces together the Parkinson's diagnosis in his usual amazing way. This was nothing for DM to be ashamed about.

If the tone of this episode continues, waiting two years was a waste for me. I do not find constant bickering something to look forward to. Strong words, yes, but I really was disappointed by this episode and certainly do not relish seeing six more of them if they maintain the same tone.

My commenting on me--

Another repeated plot line was the person assuming to be drunk, and being pulled over by the police, as Gordon was with his Parkinson's, which we saw when Caroline was becoming a Type 1 diabetic. She even passed the breath test, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    It's not just the writing, it's choices by the actors and director. Would it kill them to have a moment where we see Louisa questioning herself? A great opportunity would have been the moments after the dinner guests left. She should have been embarrassed. Or a richer frustration with Martin, and still blame him if that is point they wanted to get across. However, that she played it like the character is about as childish as a 10 year old. It was a choice to play that moment like that. It was a choice by either the actress or the director. I blame the directing because he could have thought of less superficial way to play it. She goes to apologize to the man, so her actions later on show that she knows she was in the wrong. The other couple played the scene with much more depth and texture than MC and CC did. His moron line had anger and the realization that his relationship with LG was just the same if not worse than it was. He got that across with one line. There is no reason that CC couldn't do that in her scenes.

Another choice was the clock scene. She could have been frustrated with him and walked off angry. But she played it with petty anger. She could have done it more with a rolling of the eyes and a frustrated "whatever" facial expression and still have been angry instead of a childish huff. That is just a suggestion off the top of my head, and maybe that's not the right way to play it. But had they tried it in rehearsal that idea would have informed her acting and brought more to her playing that moment. It still could have shown the anger and the hurt she feels by Martin's behavior.

Yeah, what about the hurt? Can't she possibly feel a little, tiny bit of that? What about frustration that he won't change even though she wants him to? The "maybe he doesn't love me because he won't change." The hurt is totally missing from the episode. She should feel hurt by the fact that he won't change because she wants him to. The way she played the line "You should want to" was another lost opportunity.

I have a masters degree in directing, and I have been in hundreds of rehearsals. Could they not see that there was another way? Does she have to be a one trick pony and play every moment the same? Can she not play anger, frustration and hurt? You can play those and get the point across in a meaningful way that would still carry the writer's intent. I know they want her to be convinced she can change him. It should be for more reasons than petty anger and embarrasment and I blame the director because it's his job to point out options to the actress. I am sure Caroline Catz is perfectly capable of doing something different. Any actress at her level is able to do that.

Maybe they don't rehearse enough or think through the options. It seems like MC can jump into the scene and give it some texture, I have seen him do it. But maybe she isn't able to and needs to be directed more. It would be a much richer and interesting show if they had considered another way to play the scenes. It can't be satisfying to the actress to be shreaking all the time. It is just not necessary to play it that way. I am convinced they could still get the point across. Maybe Nigel Cole directed it that way because Ben Bolt wrote it and knew that BB would have directed it that way.

But it's in the can and it may not change at all.

Yes, I agree, but then why start the series with E1, showing they both HAD changed. She was less reactive and less hypersensitive, she had fun with him playfully, and he WAS talking, discussing, sharing, joking and apologizing.

If they do not want them to change, then don't start a new season with change and then pull it all back in the second episode. What a terrible idea!

It's like we saw an expanded S4 finale scene in the first episode and then popped right into S5 again in episode 2.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fell asleep on the sofa last night watching this. Reading all the comments it looks like I made the right choice!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    I agree. In two weeks since the wedding she's lost her ability to be accepting and understanding of the Doc. Very disappointing and an ode to her behavior in S5. With a new director and different writers from episode to episode is this what we're in for? Unevenness - or a descent into unhappiness? Please, don't let the wedding episode just get our hopes up.

I agree. You can completely see the difference in Louisa between Ep. 1 & 2. Don't get me wrong, I loved last nights Ep, I thought it was hilarious :D But I'm with some of you guys when it comes to the different 'characters' of Louisa (Or should I say directors, writers:p)

Louisa is my favourite character but, In some episodes (E.g. Last night) they make her out to be highly strung and maybe a bit stroppy? I want the S2&3 Louisa back- Calm, sweet and people-loving.
    Who remembers the blanket scene? Aaawww...that's the Louisa I like :)
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree, but then why start the series with E1, showing they both HAD changed. She was less reactive and less hypersensitive, she had fun with him playfully, and he WAS talking, discussing, sharing, joking and apologizing.

If they do not want them to change, then don't start a new season with change and then pull it all back in the second episode. What a terrible idea!

It's like we saw an expanded S4 finale scene in the first episode and then popped right into S5 again in episode 2.

Who knows why the change. Laziness? Not enough rehearsal? Whatever the reason it was a bad choice. We'll never know why they did it. They must have thought it was the best way to go with the episode, but I think it was a mistake. If I can see some shortcomings after 2 watches, how did they not see it? Because they thought it was fine and they wanted her to play it that way. Their message is that she is completely incapable of introspection. She is not open to changing her behavior. She is childish and demanding and unreasonable. That is the message they want to send. He is doing everything he can and she refuses or is so immature and childish that she is incapable of noticing his efforts let alone appreciate them. They could do better and it is a disappointment that they chose this shallow route.

IMO, in a creative endeavor, there is the initial idea. It is important to not stop there but to expand on the idea in order to make it more interesting and meaningful. Heck, maybe they thought it through and this is what they thought was the best way. Who knows what their creative process is. I am speculating because I have worked on shows in the theatre where the production suffered because of the things I mentioned, and I recognize similar outcomes that were a result of these things.

Her performance isn't nuanced like his is and that does disservice to the character. I hate to be so
    critical of Caroline Catz but this is how I feel about it. I am sad and disappointed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree to a certain extent with Mona. I wasn't so annoyed by Louisa in this episode - she's always been somewhat prone to fly off the handle at him and be a little childish/unreasonable and it's part of what makes up her character, just like Martin is thoroughly disagreeable at times.
    But in terms of plot I found it very repetitive - the 'drunk but not really' storyline and also the childcare problems which I feel should have been sorted out by now given that a certain amount of time has passed since series 5. It still seems like James Henry is being passed off to whoever is nearest when Martin offends whoever is looking after him. We know there is a professional babysitting service that wasn't available until Friday - why didn't they just book there originally instead of leaving him with someone who Martin didn't like and who had apparently been persuaded to take him?

These things aside, I think the characters are still excellent and I'm enjoying series 6 a lot so far. And hey Kernow/Marchrand/Ruby. I'm good thanks, hope you guys are well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows why the change. Laziness? Not enough rehearsal? Whatever the reason it was a bad choice. We'll never know why they did it. They must have thought it was the best way to go with the episode, but I think it was a mistake. If I can see some shortcomings after 2 watches, how did they not see it? Because they thought it was fine and they wanted her to play it that way. Their message is that she is completely incapable of introspection. She is not open to changing her behavior. She is childish and demanding and unreasonable. That is the message they want to send. He is doing everything he can and she refuses or is so immature and childish that she is incapable of noticing his efforts let alone appreciate them. They could do better and it is a disappointment that they chose this shallow route.

IMO, in a creative endeavor, there is the initial idea. It is important to not stop there but to expand on the idea in order to make it more interesting and meaningful. Heck, maybe they thought it through and this is what they thought was the best way. Who knows what their creative process is. I am speculating because I have worked on shows in the theatre where the production suffered because of the things I mentioned, and I recognize similar outcomes that were a result of these things.

Her performance isn't nuanced like his is and that does disservice to the character. I hate to be so
    critical of Caroline Catz but this is how I feel about it. I am sad and disappointed.

Wow, that's like you are writing my own thoughts!

I wonder also about the creative process on the show--don't the writers sit down together with the director and perhaps producer and actors and try to create a consistent tone throughout for the whole season? A foundational theme for their actions and dialogue?

It seems here Lothian and Bolt were just handed plot ideas and sent on their way to write the characters however they wanted, with no demand they tightly transitioned DM's and LG's personalities from episode to episode.

I really don't get it.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sooner or later it might strike Louisa that the only thing she can change or has any control over in this situation is her own behavior and reactions. If and as this happens (and it's very difficult) one might expect to see Martin's behavior modify as well, because a couple is a very small system.

But this is the very reason why I don't think we will see Louisa's behavior change -- because the show's creators do not want Martin to change. I think they would see this as a violation of the show's fundamental premise. In other words, I don't see this as a director's choice so much as the show's creators, who are responsible for its overall direction.

Mona's listing of the multiple times that the medical situations have repeated themselves is actually of more concern to me, as it suggests that they are running out of gas in terms of the basic plot device of medical mystery.
  • Options
    TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I might just add my two penn'orth - apart from the acting and so on, I found the plot a bit contrived. It was not believable that DC should invite the "moron" literally seconds after hearing Louisa moan about him. DC would be discerning enough to know who to invite back home and who not. How could he be doing her the favour of being "sociable" by asking somebody to visit you that you know your partner dislikes?
    I also thought it was pathetic the way the conversation between Joe policeman (Cliff) and Aileen Atkins went, and the obvious aftermath f him being oh so nice to people. Honestly.
    Nope, the plot was faulty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Sooner or later it might strike Louisa that the only thing she can change or has any control over in this situation is her own behavior and reactions. If and as this happens (and it's very difficult) one might expect to see Martin's behavior modify as well, because a couple is a very small system.

But this is the very reason why I don't think we will see Louisa's behavior change -- because the show's creators do not want Martin to change. I think they would see this as a violation of the show's fundamental premise. In other words, I don't see this as a director's choice so much as the show's creators, who are responsible for its overall direction.

Mona's listing of the multiple times that the medical situations have repeated themselves is actually of more concern to me, as it suggests that they are running out of gas in terms of the basic plot device of medical mystery.

IMO Marin's behavior has changed. And Louisa isn't going to come to any realization unless the writers and directors have the actress play the scenes differently. I am truly not hopeful about that. If they want her to be like that now I don't think they have changed that in the subsequent episodes. The show has if finished filming and I don't expect they thought to change her character for future episodes. It is too bad because they have lost a great opportunity. There is just no nuance in her. Every one of her scenes is the same.

Whoever decided to play her that way made the wrong one. I don't really care who is responsible. I just despise the outcome.
  • Options
    mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Because they thought it was fine and they wanted her to play it that way. Their message is that she is completely incapable of introspection. She is not open to changing her behavior. She is childish and demanding and unreasonable. That is the message they want to send. He is doing everything he can and she refuses or is so immature and childish that she is incapable of noticing his efforts let alone appreciate them. They could do better and it is a disappointment that they chose this shallow route.

I agree - the dinner party showed a real flaw in LG. When the couple downstairs were listening in, they clearly weren't upset by DM. He was being who he always is (a stick of rock) - they knew he was rude and self-righteous when they accepted his invitation. If anything, they seemed amused that he was living up to expectations.

LG, however, smiles and very chummy in public and then talks about how awful you are behind your back. I think that was a real shock to them. She even indicated that this wasn't the first time she talked about how awful they to other people. She comes off as hypocritical and judgmental. But she blames DM - if he hadn't made her angry, she wouldn't have revealed what she truly thought.

Again, we see the village is more accepting of DM in many ways that LG. My fear is this is going to get old fast and I am worried that BP is so convinced that DM is vile and LG is great that they can't see it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    I agree - the dinner party showed a real flaw in LG. When the couple downstairs were listening in, they clearly weren't upset by DM. He was being who he always is (a stick of rock) - they knew he was rude and self-righteous when they accepted his invitation. If anything, they seemed amused that he was living up to expectations.

LG, however, smiles and very chummy in public and then talks about how awful you are behind your back. I think that was a real shock to them. She even indicated that this wasn't the first time she talked about how awful they to other people. She comes off as hypocritical and judgmental. But she blames DM - if he hadn't made her angry, she wouldn't have revealed what she truly thought.

Again, we see the village is more accepting of DM in many ways that LG. My fear is this is going to get old fast and I am worried that BP is so convinced that DM is vile and LG is great that they can't see it.

Good analysis, Mazzieblue!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »

Re: BP can't see what they are doing - that could be the reason. We'll never know the real reason and that theory is as good as any.

They don't give Louisa an ounce of the ability to have a bit of introspection. They give Al, Bert, Morwenna, and others the opportunity to atone for their transgressions and take a look at their behavior. But they don't give Louisa that opportunity. It is hard to see good qualities in her because of that. It's sort of ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree, Mona. We know no relationship trajectory is straight: there is back and forth as a trajectory is established. And nobody here wants or expects just bluebirds and lollypops. But I am disappointed and I don't know who to blame: the producers, the writer, the director, the actor(s)? Look, what we are seeing in E1 and now in E2 is that Martin is making efforts to change. In E1 they were acknowledged; in E2 they were not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they are reading this. I have never said this before that I can remember. We are all on a similar page about this. They can't do anything about it now, but I hope they can understand where we are coming from and see the validity of our criticisms.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understand the POV of those here who disliked this episode, and I understand why, but I think this episode, the disagreements, the chalk and cheese nature of the Martin & Louisa relationship, was necessary. We've got to take a dip into their differences and the difficulty they will always have in living together. They're like night and day, yet they love each other. This is what keeps me hooked.

I think the purpose of this episode was to line us up for growth in both of them, or at least a learning to adapt, later in the series. We have to have conflict. M & L can't suddenly become Ozzie and Harriet. That wouldn't be them. I think part of the problem is that there was a lack of transition between E1 and E2. I agree that this was an abrupt shift.

But the fact is, this is how they are. An example is Louisa going to Martin as he works on his clock. She's clearly hoping to institute some intimacy with her two-week anniversary comment. This flies right over his head, of course. By now one would think she understands that subtleties and hints don't work with this man. But she still doesn't get it. He still doesn't get it. They still have work to do. A miracle didn't happen in E1. What happened is that they now are together, a couple.

The episode did have a lot going for it, in my opinion. Even when arguing, Martin and Louisa seemed to have an intimacy unlike in S5. They argued like a real couple. They also had moments, like the, "I'll miss you," and DM taking Louisa's arm as they escaped from Penhale in the street. Some of their problems seemed to come from the underlying frustration that they openly love each other and are committed to each other, yet they're still so different.

I enjoyed the whispering in the consulting room, the overheard conversation upstairs, the splattering of the baby, Doc in the middle of a school concert, the "what do you think, darling?", and the messing up of the lined-up pens on the table. I'm glad that the Morwenna character is finally being truly developed. She's being given her own plot-line and it isn't just the goofiness of the S5 character. Also, finally, Al is heading out on his own. I like what seems to be happening with Aunt Ruth. With nods to both Dr. Ruth Westheimer and "Frasier", she seems perched to find a new direction for her career and we'll see her removed from the farm, where she never has really belonged.

I see this episode as a new beginning, a new direction for many of the characters. It won't be all smiles and happiness, but in the end, I think a corner will have been turned. I have a good feeling about the rest of this series. The only thing that bothers me is that there are only six to go!

Oh, back to your comments, Mona, about the repetitions in the plot, the childcare problems, the smoking nanny, the misdiagnosis/confusing an illness with drunkenness, etc., yes, you made good points. Actually I think this may be a sign of why Ben Bolt left. Maybe he had just run out of steam and managed some new plot directions but retreated to been-there-done-that tricks when he was unable to come up with enough new items to fill the episode.
  • Options
    Virgin QueenVirgin Queen Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    That's not a monocle :D it's an eye glass that magnifies small objects. Jewellers and antique dealers use them.

It's called a loupe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    sendibo wrote: »
    I agree to a certain extent with Mona. I wasn't so annoyed by Louisa in this episode - she's always been somewhat prone to fly off the handle at him and be a little childish/unreasonable and it's part of what makes up her character, just like Martin is thoroughly disagreeable at times.
    But in terms of plot I found it very repetitive - the 'drunk but not really' storyline and also the childcare problems which I feel should have been sorted out by now given that a certain amount of time has passed since series 5. It still seems like James Henry is being passed off to whoever is nearest when Martin offends whoever is looking after him. We know there is a professional babysitting service that wasn't available until Friday - why didn't they just book there originally instead of leaving him with someone who Martin didn't like and who had apparently been persuaded to take him?

These things aside, I think the characters are still excellent and I'm enjoying series 6 a lot so far. And hey Kernow/Marchrand/Ruby. I'm good thanks, hope you guys are well :)

Great to hear from you, Sen :)
    Yes I'm enjoying S6 too. There are a few things that are a little repetitive, like you said- The looking after James situation. But all in all, I think it will be a great series. It's been really funny so far. Wasn't the wedding just adorable :p Even DM was sweet in his own little way.

Hey have you guys heard anything of CC's children being in this series?

Over and out......
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they are reading this. I have never said this before that I can remember. We are all on a similar page about this. They can't do anything about it now, but I hope they can understand where we are coming from and see the validity of our criticisms.

An excellent breakdown and analysis by everyone..dc..Biff...Mona. In this episode they just took Louisa back to years old behavior. They need to smarten her up. Her man is oblivious in some ways. She has to grab his face, look into his eyes and tell him what she is saying and needs. Hints don't work....he'll, they don't work with my hubby and he's normal (more normal than me, at least). The script and the direction just made her so wishy washy! We viewers need a scene here and there to show solidarity in their relationship, however in the BP way of thinking they, including MC perceive the Doc as vile...which we don't and the relationship as doomed. They don't see them accepting a more sophisticated interpretation even though they've created it themselves! He's a pain in the arse but tries to respond to direct requests. When and if she is able to make them ...there could be hope. He is still a lovely hunk of man to have around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    An excellent breakdown and analysis by everyone..dc..Biff...Mona. In this episode they just took Louisa back to years old behavior. They need to smarten her up. Her man is oblivious in some ways. She has to grab his face, look into his eyes and tell him what she is saying and needs. Hints don't work....he'll, they don't work with my hubby and he's normal (more normal than me, at least). The script and the direction just made her so wishy washy! We viewers need a scene here and there to show solidarity in their relationship, however in the BP way of thinking they, including MC perceive the Doc as vile...which we don't and the relationship as doomed. They don't see them accepting a more sophisticated interpretation even though they've created it themselves! He's a pain in the arse but tries to respond to direct requests. When and if she is able to make them ...there could be hope. He is still a lovely hunk of man to have around.

I love your insight about them not accepting a more sophisticated interpretation. That gives me a way to express my opinion too. I think that is a great way to put it. Maybe that is what I am looking for as well. Thanks!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, what a lot they pack into an episode! I liked this one a lot. It is opening up some plot lines that will extend beyond this episode and I find that approach more interesting than a self-contained medical mystery. I like the mix of surgery scenes and non-surgery scenes, and certainly Morwenna's character has come of age.
    1. One of the most beautifully shot scenes I think we have yet seen in Doc Martin, that sunrise and the low-angled light on Morwenna's face as she kneels by her granddad's headstone. Seeing the name "Ben Bolt" against that beautiful backdrop gave me confidence in a good episode to come. Certainly his writing is not as linear as Jack Lothian's. This episode unfolds like interlocking petals of a flower.
    2. Things seem to be back to their frantic S5 norm at the surgery as child-care arrangements have fallen through again. I like the alluded to string of nannies which Martin has driven off, and later in the episode we see him do the same to Mel.
    3. We have a scene with Mel puffing on a cigarette outside the surgery and a scene last episode with the taxi driver who takes Martin to the church puffing on one. Apart from Eleanor in S5 and the one occasion in S1E3 where we see Bert Large smoke, I don't think there are any other instances of characters smoking in Doc Martin. Sorry to see this feature added this season (the impact of a new director?). It has always seemed to me inconsistent with the character of the Doc that he would allow people who smoke to look after his son (twice!)
    4. Not much overt tenderness in this episode between M&L, but that was a nice mumbled "I'll miss you" from Louisa, as she's about to head out the door to school and a nice "Yes" from the Doc in reply. Martin really has moved this season into the role he thinks a husband should occupy (which is different than his pre-marriage self). Mrs. Woodleigh at the school seems to get it, that coming to a school concert is a huge and surprising step for Martin, whereas Louisa is defensive and contradictory when Mrs. Woodleigh mentions the Doc never wanting to go out socially. Then at the concert she asks Martin (albeit in a nice way) to "try to make an effort." -- Which he does, overmuch perhaps!! I hope we will not have to see this dynamic all through S6 of Louisa being embarrassed by her husband, and Martin trying to please and never being able to. Where was the lovely solidarity we saw last week, with Louisa turning a shotgun on the man who had insulted "my husband and me"? That's what I want to see: Louisa and Martin contra mundum, not Louisa contra Martin.
    5. They got Felicity Montague back!! I was listening to the voice and thinking "that's not Caroline" and was thinking they wouldn't show us the scenes in the studio, for the reason it was a different actress, but there she was. I love when they give us repeat characters.
    6. Ruth is very "Ellingham-esque" in her contempt for her interviewer, for the publisher who has gotten her into this, and for people who would call in to share their personal problems over the airwaves. In that sense her Radio Portwenn appearance is reminiscent of Martin's, yet she gives Caroline enough grist to garner her an invitation back. Kind of an interesting direction to take the show if Ruth's radio appearances become a regular feature this season (a tribute to Frasier, to which the show's humour is often compared)? I notice that Ruth's book is for sale at "Stoneman's in Wadebridge for 15 pounds 95." Richard Stoneman is a writer for the programme -- an in joke?
    7. Poor neurotic Penhale. Didn't he hear me when I offered before on this forum? I'll be your friend, Cliff! (Joe, John Marquez, whatever your name is).
    8. Hilarious scene with the Doc examining (and alienating) Mel, the nanny (do you bathe? Really get in there and sluice out those crevices!)
    9. The Doc is shown twice examining a male patient in this episode (is it the same patient?) Once the man is standing up with his trousers off, another time he is lying down with his shirt off. Can we guess from the brief dialogue at what's wrong with the man? Mona, Mofromco, can you help?
    10. To me it's really obvious in this episode that Morwenna has her eye on Mike Pruddy. She's very loquacious in communicating his child-care credentials, as if she wants to be noticed by Mike. It will be interesting this season if a love triangle is set up such that Morwenna sets her cap at Mike Pruddy and Al develops a slowly-growing appreciation for Morwenna, whilst living in her house. I bet by the end of the season it's Morwenna and Al, but a lot of mis-begotten longing by all parties across 4 or so episodes.
    11. I like the scene where the Doc shoos the trouser-less man back into the surgery saying "it's not a zoo" and then the opening of the next scene where you see all the kids at the school concert dressed like zoo animals.
    12. Even though you know exactly what's coming, the camera panning over the crowd of delighted adult faces at the school concert, with Martin's sour one in their midst, was really enjoyable.
    13. Mike Pruddy: I think we're starting to see why he can't "hold down a job or find a decent girlfriend." Maybe M&L can facilitate something with Tricia Somes! The touch with the pens lined up on the table (Martin straightening them, Louisa scrambling them) was great! (In the script? A touch of the new director's? Anyway, I liked it!!)
    14. Morwenna's prospective lodgers (the Goth couple) and the son of the postie (did Dave get fired by Royal Mail, I wonder, for eating too many rock buns and being late on his rounds?) are suitably appalling. Surprised that Angie Grappie wasn't interested in the let! I hope Al came by his 50 pounds (which he seems to stump up pretty quickly) by honest means. It's rather funny that Al would prefer to "live with" Morwenna as opposed to "sleeping with" his father. He seems to be aware of the double entendre in the first instance but not the second.
    15. Joe comes across ridiculous (of course) in this episode as he tries to implement AR's advice with too heavy a hand, but his policing shows some improvement from the previous episode (where he offers to cover up a murder!). The dialogue he has with Dennis Dodds is great as he explains how it might have happened, despite the best of intentions, that Dodds could be drunk so early in the morning.
    16. The bit where Penhale compliments Louisa and Martin's clothing on their way down the hill was one of the scenes I saw filmed. I remember thinking they looked like a married couple as they walked together, and we have been given many scenes so far this season where their body language, if not their dialogue bespeaks a consciousness of being man and wife. There is an intimacy to it even when they are bickering. I liked very much the scene in this episode where they are cooking together (tying the asparagus). It appears (unlike S3) that they have managed to put together a successful meal for once, even if their guests are less interested in the food than the drink.
    17. In a similar vein, I really like the scene where Martin offers to explain to Louisa what he's doing with the clock. It's a bit like that scene in S1E3 where he's explaining to Elaine about the inside of a computer. Louisa is bored and she shows it, but the point is, Martin's clock hobby has always been a symbol of his life in isolation. His offer to let Louisa into that private interest of his is huge -- too bad she doesn't get it.
    18. When Louisa and Martin go upstairs to check on James Henry and get overheard through the baby monitor, there is also a husband-wife intimacy to that conversation. What's funny is that it's not Martin who ends up really insulting them, it's Louisa who calls Dennis a "moron" and the two of them "drunks" (as Martin reminds her the next day). Again, too bad that Louisa, upset at their leaving and the possible trouble this will create for her at work, seems to shout at Martin for the way the evening has gone, instead of making any acknowledgment that the words which offended them were hers. Martin's just a "funny stick" to them -- going on about "pickling his neural pathways" and about the connection between alcohol, infertility and spontaneous abortion -- but it's Louisa whose passion in pursuing her visions for the school have already made her someone Dennis resents. If Dennis isn't too sick to be Louisa's nemesis this season, we may actually have a central conflict in the series which is rooted in Louisa's workplace rather than in Martin and Louisa's relationship. Wouldn't that be refreshing!
    19. At the dinner I love the dance at the table where Karen reaches for the wine bottle and Martin takes it from her, Martin gives her water instead, Louisa replenishes their guests' glasses with wine. I'm sure it must have taken a while to get that choreography just right, but the result is perfect!
    20. Very little airtime is given to Bert Large this season so far. I wonder if they will pay him back by giving him a whole episode that more or less features him, or if they are feeling that the character has no more life left in it (similar to something Martin said about AJ's character before they killed her off).
    21. A bloodless episode pretty well. I was really waiting for Dennis to slice off one of his fingers with that mitre saw, especially if he was hung over or displaying signs of being drunk. Instead he fell off the roof and the Doc diagnosed him with suspected Parkinson's. That's a more serious medical condition than many we've seen so far, though the Doc seems to minimise its gravity immediately by saying that with the proper treatment and medication much can be done. I love the line where, after Louisa explains that she has hurt her head walking into a door, Martin asks "why?" Ben Bolt seems less dependent than Jack Lothian upon the characteristic diction that has evolved for Martin Ellingham. In last week's episode we had Martin shouting "Idiot" twice, and saying "not you" and "stop talking." In this episode that "why" and the line "it's not a zoo" were new, and they allowed Martin to act them with new inflection. It's nice on occasion to hear some of the old familiar phrases that have made Martin Martin, but I think the writers have to keep Martin's diction fresh if they want him to be believable as a real person as opposed to a wind-up toy for sale in the Stowaway Tea Room.
    n.

Is there a wind-up doll of Doc Martin available in the Stowaway Tea Room? :):):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I understand the POV of those here who disliked this episode, and I understand why, but I think this episode, the disagreements, the chalk and cheese nature of the Martin & Louisa relationship, was necessary. We've got to take a dip into their differences and the difficulty they will always have in living together. They're like night and day, yet they love each other. This is what keeps me hooked.

I think the purpose of this episode was to line us up for growth in both of them, or at least a learning to adapt, later in the series. We have to have conflict. M & L can't suddenly become Ozzie and Harriet. That wouldn't be them. I think part of the problem is that there was a lack of transition between E1 and E2. I agree that this was an abrupt shift.

But the fact is, this is how they are. An example is Louisa going to Martin as he works on his clock. She's clearly hoping to institute some intimacy with her two-week anniversary comment. This flies right over his head, of course. By now one would think she understands that subtleties and hints don't work with this man. But she still doesn't get it. He still doesn't get it. They still have work to do. A miracle didn't happen in E1. What happened is that they now are together, a couple.

The episode did have a lot going for it, in my opinion. Even when arguing, Martin and Louisa seemed to have an intimacy unlike in S5. They argued like a real couple. They also had moments, like the, "I'll miss you," and DM taking Louisa's arm as they escaped from Penhale in the street. Some of their problems seemed to come from the underlying frustration that they openly love each other and are committed to each other, yet they're still so different.

I enjoyed the whispering in the consulting room, the overheard conversation upstairs, the splattering of the baby, Doc in the middle of a school concert, the "what do you think, darling?", and the messing up of the lined-up pens on the table. I'm glad that the Morwenna character is finally being truly developed. She's being given her own plot-line and it isn't just the goofiness of the S5 character. Also, finally, Al is heading out on his own. I like what seems to be happening with Aunt Ruth. With nods to both Dr. Ruth Westheimer and "Frasier", she seems perched to find a new direction for her career and we'll see her removed from the farm, where she never has really belonged.

I see this episode as a new beginning, a new direction for many of the characters. It won't be all smiles and happiness, but in the end, I think a corner will have been turned. I have a good feeling about the rest of this series. The only thing that bothers me is that there are only six to go!

Oh, back to your comments, Mona, about the repetitions in the plot, the childcare problems, the smoking nanny, the misdiagnosis/confusing an illness with drunkenness, etc., yes, you made good points. Actually I think this may be a sign of why Ben Bolt left. Maybe he had just run out of steam and managed some new plot directions but retreated to been-there-done-that tricks when he was unable to come up with enough new items to fill the episode.

I agree with this, Biffpup. Even though they have arguments, they seem to be able to discuss things together a lot better now. And, while we did see some movement forward in Ep 1, people (Louisa) don't usually change overnight. (Probably wouldn't hurt for Louisa (as Roberta?) to call in to Dr. Ruth! Not for sex advice, though. :cool:) Poor Martin, he is trying so hard. Maybe that bump on the head will knock some sense into Louisa. There's always hope! :)
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    It seems to me there is an expectation that LGE changes her ways but not the same expectation for DM. LGE is age 38 or so in the series DM we assume is in his 40s, a little late for major changes.

I am fairly simplistic in my appreciation of the show - if I'm happy and smiling after a show, it was good. If I'm sad it's bad. Most of them I'm ambivalent

S6 E1 :)
    S6 E2 :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    I think we also have to keep in mind how difficult living in the surgery must be. Notice that the baby is still in their bedroom (why? what happened to the spare bedroom?) which is shot from angles that make it look particularly small and cramped. Louisa doesn't have a work space of her own; there's really no place to go to get away from each other and take a breath. I think they would be faring better in a larger house like Applegarth, or dare I say it, the farm.

And, I would really HATE it if someone messed with my kitchen and rearranged things, even if to make them obsessively orderly. I don't even like it if my dishwasher is loaded by someone else different to how I would do it! so yes, I can empathize with Louisa being teed-off in that situation.

That is not Louisa's kitchen; it is Martin's kitchen. He seems to be doing most of the cooking (he even knew the painstaking Julia Child technique of wrapping individual packets of asparagus for cooking). I thought she moved the glass and messed up the pens to try to assert some influence in the kitchen. Martin liked the way Mike re-arranged his kitchen in an orderly way after Louisa probably haphazardly moved some of her items into the kitchen. Martin's little snicker when Louisa objected to Mike's orderliness indicated that he was happy having his old orderly kitchen back. Louisa not only doesn't have office space, she seems to have no say in any other part of the living space.

I know this will flame me, but I didn't say it my husband did. He looked into the episode briefly and wondered how an "old guy" like Martin got a "hot" woman like Louisa. With the weight loss, Martin does look gaunt and much older than Louisa. I think their physical differences may exacerbate their different mental states.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    We're on the same page here. E1 and the marriage was a way to move the plot along to having the same old difficulties, but this time married. And it was a bone tossed to the faithful audience, who have made their feelings about romance plenty clear in a number of forums.

It was a bone tossed to those who demanded it. Nothing has really changed between them. They are the same ol' chalk and cheese as they've always been-now with the same surname and wedding bands.
    Essentially, they let him revert to S1, but only for about half an hour. Now it's back to the same old difficult, characters that we have seen. And, they're not going to change -- that's the takeaway message that is finally, after much resistance, dawning on me.

Sure it is. Name me one instance where everything changed about two people and the world around them just because they got married? This ain't a fairy tale.

I will say that if that did happen all those complaining about their relationship now would be complaining how "they have changed the characters so much they are unrecognizable."
    They are incompatible -- and they grate on each other when in close proximity. Louisa is not going to become a far more patient and less reactive person, or stop needing him to show her more (some) demonstrable affection. He's not going to become a conventionally "nice" man, or develop empathy for others. It's like expecting him to grow wings.

I've been saying this all along.
    BTW, think how you might feel if, when you were frantically looking for something, and then expressed a totally legitimate need for a space of your own, your husband told you that you wouldn't need it if you were better at your work. Wouldn't it be a struggle to refrain from throwing the nearest object at him? I really have sympathy for Louisa here.

I don't really have much sympathy for her. By now one would think she knew and understood who and what he is and would have learned how to handle situations like that with him. He is not the type that responds well to childish temper tantrums, which is exactly what she was doing in that scene. In the post I quoted I made the comparison to Sarek and Amanda. Think back to them and their relationship if you are a Trek fan. Amanda knew who and what she married, knew full well that he was never going to change the core of his being so she adapted to it and learned how to communicate with him because she loved him. He eventually changed and adapted to her in his own way and, as they say, they lived happily ever after.

Personally I do not think that either one of them understands the true nature of love and long term relationships. They are in the process of getting the Third Degree from the School of Hard Knocks in it right now right now. It remains to be seen if they will profit from what they learn and manage to forge a loving, long term relationship in their own way.
    It's easy to characterize her as a shrew -- but we have to keep in mind, I think, what she's reacting to. He's not a really nice guy underneath who just needs a little TLC and patience for it to come through -- he's difficult, aggravating, annoying, irritating, and above all, judgmental and self-righteous.

Actually he is a nice guy underneath it all. It's buried under the effects of a childhood full of abuse and a lifetime of being attacked, stabbed in the back, ridiculed and bullied. If you've paid attention to the character as it has been portrayed over the series you would see that. It's subtle but it's there. A fine example is the story line about the girl who wanted boobs because her friends were making fun of her. A guy who was "not nice" would've accepted Louisa's word that he have nothing to do with the child and he would've gone back to London without thinking twice about it. The problem is that most have been too besotted with the whole romance thing that they forget about it, if they even saw it in the first place.

The other thing that people forget is the biography of the character of Martin. He is a high flying, reknown vascular specialist "with the Midas touch" who worked at some of the best hospitals in the world. Judging by the eagerness and the effort Robert displayed in trying to get him back I suspect that he was considered one of the best in the world. A man in Robert's position is not going to stick his neck out and stake his reputation on someone who is not the best in the world who has hit a 'rough patch' and has gotten over it. That would be way too risky for someone in Robert's position.

According to the biography and background of Dr. Martin Ellingham he was like the Steven Hawking, Yoyo Ma, David Beckham or Michael Jordan of his field. People who are like that are "difficult, aggravating, annoying, irritating, and above all, judgmental and self-righteous." People like those don't suffer fools lightly nor are they overly tolerant of those who try to suck up to them.

BTW-For those who have mentioned it in previous posts that "Martin could always be a surgeon in Truro and find it satisfying" you're wrong. A person like the one described in the background of his character would not find being a surgeon at the hospital in Truro satisfying at all. That would be like sticking Steven Hawking in a junior high school Astronomy club or Michael Jordan on a Euro basketball team.
    I feel that Louisa would be behaving much "better" in a marriage that suited her temperament better. As would Martin.

BINGO! We have a winner! That is a good part of the reason why I've been enjoying that fanfic I'm reading so much. They both end up with the people they should've and have become the people they should be.
    However, it is clear that the show-runners are taking a big risk here -- I think the audience will get sick and tired watching the same old thing, with only the minor variation that now they are legally yoked together.

The only people who will truly be sick of it are the ones who have had unrealistic expectations out of Martin and Louisa's relationship in the first place. I think a good part of the problem with the first two episodes is that they have concentrated on Martin and Louisa's relationship almost to exclusion of everything else. Episode 2 started to get back on track with the story lines about Bert, Al, Ruth and Morwenna.

I am going to make some speculations here.

If I were to guess I would imagine that Caroline Catz has told them this is the last series of the show that she wants to do or she wants way more money to do it then they are willing to pay her.

I suspect that MC's comments on their reception by the people in Port Issac is telling. They know they've just about worn out their welcome with the people who live there. It is also becoming very difficult to film there with all the people who show up. It's becoming a nightmare logistically for BP and for the village itself.

I think that they also know that they've just about exhausted the story lines for this set up. There are only so many weird diseases and other situations that you can do before it seems repetitive. Port Wenn is a very small fish bowl. They need a bigger bowl.

Money. With this series they now have enough episodes to syndicate it. Usually you need at least 45 before anyone will consider buying it as a commercially viable syndicated series. They are also making money hand over fist with it now. With that they can either expand the budget per episode and start doing bigger and better story lines (going back to surgery kind of thing) or syndicate it and let the money come in while they spend more time with themselves, their daughter, on the farm and get more into horses with MC doing the occasional role (like the one in Strike Back) or making documentaries. I do think they care about the show but I think they know that it either has to change in order to refresh and reinvigorate the storyline or end it before it becomes too repetitive.
This discussion has been closed.