Options

Solo Gary Barlow VS Solo Geri Halliwell

Comments

• Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iamstrong wrote: »
    Most of their money for the Spice Girls prior to 1998 went to Simon Fuller and his company. She left the group not long after he got fired (not that the group earned much with "Forever" though). I can't speak for everything post 2007, but that's the widely reported numbers right now.

Absolutely incorrect.
    The Spice Girls HIRED Simon Fuller after multiple managers were fighting over them.
    They negotiated contracts which gave them almost unprecedented control over the Spice brand.
    They each made vast amounts of money compared to almost any other modern pop group - due to the way in which the Girls and Geri in particular clawed their way to signing with Virgin from having no management, no record deal, nothing.

By the time they hired Fuller they had every major UK record label vying to sign them, which is why they were able to negotiate such 'generous' contracts.

Fuller didn't create the Spice Girls, he was employed by them and received a percentage. Not the other way around.
  • Options
    iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    Absolutely incorrect.
    The Spice Girls HIRED Simon Fuller after multiple managers were fighting over them.
    They negotiated contracts which gave them almost unprecedented control over the Spice brand.
    They each made vast amounts of money compared to almost any other modern pop group - due to the way in which the Girls and Geri in particular clawed their way to signing with Virgin from having no management, no record deal, nothing.

By the time they hired Fuller they had every major UK record label vying to sign them, which is why they were able to negotiate such 'generous' contracts.

Fuller didn't create the Spice Girls, he was employed by them and received a percentage. Not the other way around.
    Wasn't he a management svengali though? I always got the impression that he took a huge portion of the earnings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't he a management svengali though? I always got the impression that he took a huge portion of the earnings.

Ugh..

Look it up. :yawn:

Read Rolling Stone Journalist David Sinclair's book "Wannabe: How The Spice Girls Reinvented Pop Fame"

I don't have the energy to explain the complicated story of how the Spice Girls came about and their control of their own group.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Geri has sold almost next to nothing in the UK as a solo artist. How on earth could she have sold 8 million extra worldwide?

It's so hard to take seriously it's becoming a running joke.

I think Geri is a lovely woman, who's achieved huge successes. I just think it's embarrasing for her to be mentioned on this forum the way she has been, clearly there aren't any fans left here and I think it's doing her more harm than good.

I doubt Geri will ever have solo success, in the UK especially again. She doesn't have a label backing like Britney/Gaga/Rihanna/Madonna/Katy/Kylie etc who have huge labels and record companies behind them backing them up and funding millions of pounds worth of campaigns and big world wide arena tours..

Geri should have had a deal with Simon Fuller's 19 to give her support therefore giving her a semi guarantee for commercial success.

Now Kenny we're talking about Geri here not you. It's just very hard to imagine Geri Halliwell having a top 10 hit or a big selling album in the UK again. I hope I am proved wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did a google search and none of the multiple names you have mentioned have come up as mentioning Geri Halliwell has sold 12 million records, not a single one.

AGT

Piers Morgan 4.05 mins

TMZ

New York Daily News

Daily Mirror

Metro

USA Today

Washington Post

The X Factor. 5.40 mins
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Aside from her dismal UK album sales. How on earth is it possible that she's sold a further 8 million singles/albums in markets much smaller than the UK.

You have to appreciate why the majority of us are not going to take this seriously.
  • Options
    iamstrongiamstrong Posts: 867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ugh..

Look it up. :yawn:

Read Rolling Stone Journalist David Sinclair's book "Wannabe: How The Spice Girls Reinvented Pop Fame"

I don't have the energy to explain the complicated story of how the Spice Girls came about and their control of their own group.
    I have a life, you know......?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're not willing to learn about a topic then why make ignorant statements?

I was being sarcastic about reading the book, clearly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

PR quotes are all very good. I agree with you. It's virtually impossible for her to have sold as much as what Kenny mentioned. Her 2nd album sold just about 100k in the UK alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're not willing to learn about a topic then why make ignorant statements?

I was being sarcastic about reading the book, clearly.

Maybe it's for the best if you leave it?

There aren't any Geri fans on here bar yourself. I'm sure the Spice's have a huge fan forum somewhere online?? There you will find other Spice fan's to share your Geri enthusiasm? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attia_Ash wrote: »
    Aside from her dismal UK album sales. How on earth is it possible that she's sold a further 8 million singles/albums in markets much smaller than the UK.

You have to appreciate why the majority of us are not going to take this seriously.

It's Raining Men has sold around 4 million...That's half of the remaining 8 million..

Let's wait and see what response and information I get from Simon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geri should have released "Passion" just after Ride It to capitalize on Ride It's top 5 position.

Love Never Loved Me would have been HUGE for her but she was stupid enough to say it didn't feel right for her to release it as a single as it was "too personal". At that point she needed everything she could to have a big smash.

Missed opportunities and wrong decisions led "Passion' to be a huge flop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's for the best if you leave it?

There aren't any Geri fans on here bar yourself. I'm sure the Spice's have a huge fan forum somewhere online?? There you will find other Spice fan's to share your Geri enthusiasm? :)

If you don't like the thread, you're welcome to leave.

I'm just doing my job. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's Raining Men has sold around 4 million...That's half of the remaining 8 million..

True the track was HUGE. As Geri mentioned in "For The Record' it would have been better to release "Feels Like Sex' as the lead single to build up on IRM.

Again a stupid decision on EMI's part...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Geri should have released "Passion" just after Ride It to capitalize on Ride It's top 5 position.

Love Never Loved Me would have been HUGE for her but she was stupid enough to say it didn't feel right for her to release it as a single as it was "too personal". At that point she needed everything she could to have a big smash.

Missed opportunities and wrong decisions led "Passion' to be a huge flop.

The Record Label were also to blame. They made her scrap her original "Disco Sister" album and change direction. Fantastic dance pop songs like Set me Off were replaced by "Surrender Your Groove" and other dirge.

Rite it, Love Never Loved Me, Set Me Off, - Disco Sister could have been a real hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Believe it or not I am a huge fan. It's just somethings you come out with are rather silly and unbelievable especially as we're referring to Geri now in this current climate of music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Record Label were also to blame. They made her scrap her original "Disco Sister" album and change direction. Fantastic dance pop songs like Set me Off were replaced by "Surrender Your Groove" and other dirge.

Rite it, Love Never Loved Me, Set Me Off, - Disco Sister could have been a real hit.

I FULLY agree!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you don't like the thread, you're welcome to leave.

I'm just doing my job. ;)

Is it really your job to post on a forum where virtually no one is taking Geri seriously. I feel bad for her. It's doing her more harm than good. My opinion anyway, and then again I cant see 20 odd Geri fans jumping to her defense.

Aside from your good self ofcourse.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not start an appreciation thread on the appreciation forum up on top. That'd be a good idea? Don't you think so?

You and all of Geri's many fans can discuss everything Geri there until she officially announces her new album/single in the UK.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

4 million as in 4 million units sold or 4 million in "geri sales" (grossly inflated pr nonsense)?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    4 million as in 4 million units sold or 4 million in "geri sales" (grossly inflated pr nonsense)?

I'm not doing a Kenny here (:D), but apparently IRM was in the top 5 biggest selling singles of 2001. (Worldwide)

I do see your point though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not doing a Kenny here (:D), but apparently IRM was in the top 5 biggest selling singles of 2001.

I do see your point though :)

how much did it really sell though?:D it only sold 421k in the uk that year.:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Geri appeared on Letterman in the US in 2003 and (I don't know if you're familiar with the show?) but Letterman's musical director Paul Shaffer, who happened to have written It's Raining Men, congratulated Geri on selling over 3 million copies of her version and told her that "his accountant said to thank her"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geri appeared on Letterman in the US in 2003 and (I don't know if you're familiar with the show?) but Letterman's musical director Paul Shaffer, who happened to have written It's Raining Men, congratulated Geri on selling over 3 million copies of her version and told her that "his accountant said to thank her"

so just a million shy of the 4 million then.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    how much did it really sell though?:D it only sold 421k in the uk that year.:o

In the UK yes. It was in the top 5 selling singles world wide for 2001 though. :o
This discussion has been closed.