Options

Did BBC/ITV/C4 etc break into programmes on 9/11?

Comments

• Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm pretty sure that the bbc still ran eastenders at 7.30 that day. I suppose they had been showing 9/11 coverage for 5 straight hours by that point and needed a breaki

Yes, BBC1 ran continuous coverage from two o'clock to 7.30, with a brief gap for a few minutes of regional news around half past six, then showed EastEnders and Changing Rooms, then came back at 8.30 for a special programme with David Dimbleby and more news. Then after the extended Ten O'Clock News they showed a documentary on women in the workplace that was supposed to be on at 10.30, half an hour late, then back to the news overnight from around 11.45.

One problem with the BBC coverage is that they took ages to get on any familiar faces, they kept with the News 24 people for a long time. Eventually Gavin Esler came in around four and then Huw Edwards at six but it made a confusing situation even more confusing because you were seeing people you'd never seen before reporting it, back when News 24 had a far smaller audience.
  • Options
    TeleviixonMaltaTeleviixonMalta Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember that by the time I came home from school (about 3.45) every channel, including Channel 5, were showing news.

There's some YouTube footage I've seen somewhere which flicks between BBC/ITV/C4/C5
  • Options
    TeleviixonMaltaTeleviixonMalta Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    This is footage of the Channel 5 coverage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL6N66vPCAs
  • Options
    Red DevilRed Devil Posts: 13,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Info regarding Radio 1 on September 11th - http://missingparsons.com/tag/mark-lard/

Didn't Moyles have a friend in New York that he spoke to on the phone?
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I also posted this link in the other thread but for those who havent seen it, you can re-watch some of the news channels coverage (mainly US) from that day at the link below from before it happened right up until the days that followed.

http://www.archive.org/details/911/day/20010911
  • Options
    jeffersbnljeffersbnl Posts: 4,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Devil wrote: »
    Info regarding Radio 1 on September 11th - http://missingparsons.com/tag/mark-lard/

Didn't Moyles have a friend in New York that he spoke to on the phone?
    Not sure about on the day, but I believe it was a listener in New York (an American) who he spoke to in the days following- I can remember Moyles talking to him on the first anniversary. Seem to remember it being quite moving as he thanked the UK listeners for their support. Moyles asked if he'd like a particular song played and he asked for 'Peace on Earth' by U2.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aberboy wrote: »
    During the evening the live BBC News coverage switched over to BBC 2.
    to be fair at that point it was no longer a BBREAKING news story.
  • Options
    bsnalexbsnalex Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    According to my wife (i was living near washington dc at the time at uni) BBC just broke into programming with an image of the first tower burning, presumably the feed from ABC. No news graphic or intro, just BAM straight into the image and then a couple seconds later they explained what was going on
  • Options
    Ultra MagnusUltra Magnus Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If only Sky+ and Youtube had been around then, there would be copies of how all the main channels broke into programming thanks to Instant Rewind.

When I think back to the day and all the 'What If?' possibilities, the first one I always think of is:

If only we had Youtube.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember ITV breaking into news instead of normal programming in the day. Btw, a tad unrelated, but if you search itv breaking news on youtube you'll see how ITV ceased programming to report on princess diana's car crash.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    I wonder how people get the footage, is it just coincidence that they were recording the channel at the time or does the broadcaster release it themselves?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    I wonder how people get the footage, is it just coincidence that they were recording the channel at the time or does the broadcaster release it themselves?

I was going to set up the VHS at the time but in the end did not.

And I was flicking over the channels.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't speak for TV, but assume that BBC News 24 or Sky News must have gone to the pictures early. I was driving a van with Five Live on and recall the presenter and those in the studio's shock as they saw a plane hit the second tower.

I noticed other cars on the motorway, and judging by other drivers, I think a lot of other people had heard the broadcast.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at home and flicking between the channels. Can't recall which channel I watched as I saw the second plan crash.

Channel 5 had a live Gloria Hunniford chat show on and they kept flashing back to New York and then back to the chat.
  • Options
    stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Anyone have footage of ITV/ITN breaking into programming?
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    Moyles had an American listener who he had spoke to for a few months before on and off, I seem to remember. So he went straight to him for input.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it has to be remembered that no-one had any idea of the enormity of this story until the second plane hit. Up until that point, it was little more than a curiosity - we knew that a plane had flown into the World Trade Centre but didn't even know what type of plane it was. The assumption in my office was that it was a light aircraft, because the reality was simply unimaginable. The live images of smoke rising from the tower was the kind of thing that rolling news channels love, but there was initially no reason for the main channels to interrupt their coverage. Of course, everything changed in an instant when the second plane hit - and even today that footage makes me sick to the stomach just as it did on that day.

The rest of the day was simply surreal. So many rumours and so little hard fact. I was working in Canary Wharf at the time and the entire area was evacuated in case there was a similar attack there. In scenes mirroring what was happening in New York, there were thousands of City workers walking home because all public transport in London had been suspended.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    ElMarko wrote: »
    Moyles had an American listener who he had spoke to for a few months before on and off, I seem to remember. So he went straight to him for input.
    Already mentioned.
    jeffersbnl wrote: »
    Not sure about on the day, but I believe it was a listener in New York (an American) who he spoke to in the days following- I can remember Moyles talking to him on the first anniversary. Seem to remember it being quite moving as he thanked the UK listeners for their support. Moyles asked if he'd like a particular song played and he asked for 'Peace on Earth' by U2.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually remember watching Neighbours on BBC1, they then went straight to New York following the programme. Does anyone remember whether both planes had crashed by that point?

Also, did ITV, C4 and C5 break into programmes at any point, if so...at what point?

I don't think C5 broke into their programmes fully, but I think that C4 were the last to do so out of the remaining 'traditional' channels.

I remember BBC1 stuck with it for the rest of the day, whereas ITV1 broke to show Emmerdale & then returned to the blanket coverage for a few hours.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think C5 broke into their programmes fully, but I think that C4 were the last to do so out of the remaining 'traditional' channels.

I remember BBC1 stuck with it for the rest of the day, whereas ITV1 broke to show Emmerdale & then returned to the blanket coverage for a few hours.

Think its been said on here, around 6:30 that evening BBC went to a quick regional news, and at 7:30 they had Enders, and at 8 they had a new Changing Rooms.

ITV, i think put Emmerdale on at 7, and Millionaie on at 8, and Champions League Highlights on at 10:40, there had been news on ITV since 9, which is why the footy highlights were on at a normalish time
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,026
    Forum Member
    BBC2 was about to go live on air from the TUC Conference in Brighton, where the Prime Minister was due to speak...would that have switched to coverage from New York?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    BBC2 was about to go live on air from the TUC Conference in Brighton, where the Prime Minister was due to speak...would that have switched to coverage from New York?

Id guess no, because on a clip from 9/11, when the BBC News report come up, they said BBC1 has joined BBC News 24,
  • Options
    dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think its been said on here, around 6:30 that evening BBC went to a quick regional news, and at 7:30 they had Enders, and at 8 they had a new Changing Rooms.

ITV, i think put Emmerdale on at 7, and Millionaie on at 8, and Champions League Highlights on at 10:40, there had been news on ITV since 9, which is why the footy highlights were on at a normalish time

I thought the football got cancelled?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    I thought the football got cancelled?

The Wednesday fixtures got cancelled, but not the Tuesdays, i guess they never cancelled them, as all the teams were at the venues and stuff, cameramen would have been there, what im saying is only a guess.

Not really sure why the Tuesday night fixtures went ahead
  • Options
    wal28wal28 Posts: 1,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe the European CL games weren't cancelled because there were already people on their way to the games.

I have the following from my ever trusty list:

Liverpool-Boavista 1-1 ITV Sport
    Real Mallorca-Arsenal 1-0 ITV Sport

I don't think there were any games on Weds or any European games on Thursday in the UEFA Cup but there was a League Cup tie shown:

Tottenham-Torquay United 2-0 ITV Sport

Not totally sure when the Weds/Thurs fixtures were played...