Options

The four rapist in India to be hanged.

Comments

• Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    charger21 wrote: »
    Plenty sites online will show you theres plenty equally horrific things happen throughout the world yet dont make our news let alone the main story night after night

It was the reaction of the indian people that made people sit up and listen, it was not just this murder but the decades off abuse and pain Indian women in India have suffered, don't you understand?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    Why should they even be given the chance to?

we shouldn't let the crime cloud our judgement. Some people can be rehabilitated, some people can not. If they can they should be given the chance to. If not then fair enough, keep them in prison
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Do you think they deserve that chance?

Yes.

Nothing that is done to these men will make any difference to their victim: God bless her she is dead.

Society has to balance punishment, retribution, revenge and rehabilitation. Too often, our knee-jerk reaction is revenge but as a civilised society, this makes us no better than the perpetrator.

I'm not saying the choice is easy, but revenge should be very low on the list if we want to consider ourselves a civilised society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty sites online will show you theres plenty equally horrific things happen throughout the world yet dont make our news let alone the main story night after night

You need to look at the political climate as well as sexual politics in India. This wasn't a stand alone incident that caused it but rather a catalyst
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    we shouldn't let the crime cloud our judgement. Some people can be rehabilitated, some people can not. If they can they should be given the chance to. If not then fair enough, keep them in prison

Yep, they sure gave that girl a chence didn't they.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Yes, Ive already said so

Which is why I asked "are you really", as I can't quite believe that you are genuinely at a loss to understand.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Nothing that is done to these men will make any difference to their victim: God bless her she is dead.

Society has to balance punishment, retribution, revenge and rehabilitation. Too often, our knee-jerk reaction is revenge but as a civilised society, this makes us no better than the perpetrator.

I'm not saying the choice is easy, but revenge should be very low on the list if we want to consider ourselves a civilised society.

What do you think the sentence for rape and murder should be? How many years, before they are rehabilitated and let back out into society?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    academia wrote: »
    Pity these rapist/murderers don't think the same way

That is why we need to be different. Of course I respect the right for India to deal with its prisoners in the way it sees fit, but I certainly don't have to agree with it
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member

Do you mean rehabilitated and released? Or rehabilitated and locked up for good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    Yep, they sure gave that girl a chence didn't they.

This is a knee jerk reaction, we shouldn't let blood lust be a part of justice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

Be honest...if it was your daughter that was repeatedly raped by these six men and then her internal organs ripped out would you want the men walking the streets one day working and living in your area....will be interested in your answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Be honest...if it was your daughter that was repeatedly raped by these six men and then her internal organs ripped out would you want the men walking the streets one day working and living in your area....will be interested in your answer.

I think that it a completely unfair question to ask. Justice should be about heads not hearts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a knee jerk reaction, we shouldn't let blood lust be a part of justice.

It's not blood lust...I was a long fair trial and Indian laws gave the sentence.....who are we to argue how other countries govern.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

So you would be comfortable with these "men" becoming part of our civilised society again? As pointed out by many in this thread, this was not "just" rape, but barbaric horrifying torture that involved ripping out someone's organs with their bare hands. How can anyone who did THAT ever be allowed to walk to streets again :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that it a completely unfair question to ask. Justice should be about heads not hearts.

Why? If it is good enough for people you dont know t should be good enough for your own family, ...why should you think different because it is our own kids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What do you think the sentence for rape and murder should be? How many years, before they are rehabilitated and let back out into society?

At this moment, I have absolutely no idea. I'm not a lawyer and I would leave the sentencing etc to the experts. Cop out on my part? Not at all. I just want to provide a balance to the knee-jerkers and, hopefully, show another way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    imrightok wrote: »
    Do you mean rehabilitated and released? Or rehabilitated and locked up for good?

Rehabilitation generally means being let back into society. Please do not think I mean I want every rapist and murderer let out and allowed to wander the streets. If they are a danger to society then of course they should stay in prison
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? If it is good enough for people you dont know t should be good enough for your own family, ...why should you think different because it is our own kids.

Because you are too close to the incident and you can't think objectively.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this moment, I have absolutely no idea. I'm not a lawyer and I would leave the sentencing etc to the experts. Cop out on my part? Not at all. I just want to provide a balance to the knee-jerkers and, hopefully, show another way.

Just to give my opinion, these men should never be allowed back into society again. Some crimes, such as this, are unforgivable.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rehabilitation generally means being let back into society. Please do not think I mean I want every rapist and murderer let out and allowed to wander the streets. If they are a danger to society then of course they should stay in prison

How can you ensure this though? How can you guarantee the prisoner won't escape from prison or be released early (because prisons are generally overcrowded) and re-offend :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not knee jerk though is it? You haven't answered my question about your own daughter being the victim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not blood lust...I was a long fair trial and Indian laws gave the sentence.....who are we to argue how other countries govern.

As I said in a previous post I respect India's right to decide what is to be done with these men. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it
  • Options
    Forum Member

Although the circumstances are as different as anything, my only child, a daughter is dead, but that's beside the point. Society does not ask the family to give the punishment; not a civilised society anyway.

But let's look at this from another angle. The perpetrators are brothers, sons, cousins. Should their family's have a say?

The reason I mentioned my daughter is that her loss was the most dreadful thing that could have ever happened to me and I cannot think of anything in this world which would have alleviated my pain then or now. And yes, there was a person to blame for her death.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, it should. And hanging these four animlas will let other men know that hunting down girls in packs and torturing them to death in the most hideous way is not an acceptable sport. Such crimes are common in India. For such men, only the thought of what THEY might suffer might deter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because you are too close to the incident and you can't think objectively.

Poor argument.