Options

Why do some men choose to be single

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
Forum Member
I can understand why some women choose to be single.

I can also understand why many gay men are single.

But what I don't understand is why some straight men choose to be single. I do know some of them in their 40s and never married and not intented to (they mostly could find somebody if they make an effort and not having unrealistic expectation). I don't want to ask them why (it's a men thing of not talking that kind of thing). Anyone could thnk of why?

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why can you understand it in women and gay men but not straight men?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Why can you understand it in women and gay men but not straight men?

Some women find men too dominant in a relationship and they want to be "independent" instead (words from some of my friends).

For gay men, it is just the reality for them not easy to find someone in a mostly straight world.
  • Options
    scheadschead Posts: 977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are ugly and have no choice?
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some are asexual or may have a testosterone deficiency.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevinlad wrote: »
    Some women find men too dominant in a relationship and they want to be "independent" instead (words from some of my friends).

For gay men, it is just the reality for them not easy to find someone in a mostly straight world.

Perhaps some men feel the same way about relationships with women. Have you tried asking them?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because while some men may think any hole's a goal, for others it's just not worth the nonsense.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been married/divorced and I have been engaged but I have been happier single by far.
    I still hold out hope to meet Mrs right but cant find a girl as laid back and happy with the world as I am.
    Everyone seems to be stressed :S
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what I don't understand is why some straight men choose to be single. I do know some of them in their 40s and never married and not intented to (they mostly could find somebody if they make an effort and not having unrealistic expectation). I don't want to ask them why (it's a men thing of not talking that kind of thing). Anyone could thnk of why?

Why do some women and many gay men choose to stay single?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Im not gay Im straight and nearly all women I have had relationships with have either cheated on me or let me down to the point I couldnt trust them.

This is my first post phewww and does anybody know how to get rid of my name with a username?
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

I'm a single woman and it sure as hell has nothing to do with men being too dominant. :D

What a strange OP.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By the time you're in your 40's most of the available women of similar age are going to be divorced women with kids and a massive pile of emotional baggage and cats...not many men who have had a quiet life up till then will want to trade a nice quiet house for bringing up other peoples kids and running the risk she's gonna divorce you and leave you penniless and homeless after a few years
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huh? Why so hard to understand? I'm single and I can get all the wonderful curvy advantages of women I want without having to put up with them for longer than I have to(*). Frankly I suspect I could get more of their loveliness than my married friends and I don't have to put up with someone trying to organise my life and take over my home(**).

I accept that it's not entirely 'normal' to want to live alone but unless you crave company it seems the obvious ideal arrangement.

(*)They probably feel the same way.

(**)And they don't have to put up with my slouching around the house and failing to measure up to their standards.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member

Have you ever considered that some men feel the same about women ? ;)
  • Options
    Johnny 99Johnny 99 Posts: 218
    Forum Member
    onefineday wrote: »
    Because while some men may think any hole's a goal, for others it's just not worth the nonsense.

This

And the shopping, on a Saturday afternoon, when there's football on :D
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm in my 40's, never married and won't ever be. You're welcome to ask me why but I think i've covered it fairly well on these here forums ;)

"Being Single" chose me, I didn't chose it. It's just the way life turned out for me really and i'm ok with it now.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    Im not gay Im straight and nearly all women I have had relationships with have either cheated on me or let me down to the point I couldnt trust them.

This is my first post phewww and does anybody know how to get rid of my name with a username?

You're stuck with it John :D:D

Seriously, I should contact the site administrators via "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    By the time you're in your 40's most of the available women of similar age are going to be divorced women with kids and a massive pile of emotional baggage and cats...not many men who have had a quiet life up till then will want to trade a nice quiet house for bringing up other peoples kids and running the risk she's gonna divorce you and leave you penniless and homeless after a few years

Yes, and some women of that age don't want to risk getting into an abusive relationship which will emotionally damage her children and leave her with a broken nose and black eyes and bruises, and then be left homeless and penniless when he moves on to a younger model and kicks her and her children out.

Seeing as we're generalising and everything ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I don't have the skills for a relationship.
  • Options
    TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I've seen your missus ;)

I grew up watching my female relatives (nan, mother and sister) nagging their husbands into submission, and I could never understand why a man would want to live that life.

I've always been happy in my own company. If I want other company I'll go out and find it. If I don't want company I don't have to put up with someone else invading my space.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    Because being in a relationship is not mandatory or indeed a gauge of the quality of your life.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    schead wrote: »
    ^true dat :( coupled with a lousy personality. :cry:
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,355
    Forum Member
    Why do some men choose to get married??
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been married/divorced and I have been engaged but I have been happier single by far.
    I still hold out hope to meet Mrs right but cant find a girl as laid back and happy with the world as I am.
    Everyone seems to be stressed :S

Having a screen-name that makes you sound like a woman probably doesn't help :D

Sorry, I'm new :):)
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    schead wrote: »

Do you split the dinners for two and freeze the other one?
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I'm a bit too weird to be in a relationship.

Hopefully I'll become less weird and might have a chance.