Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 27)

Comments

• Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Having had another look at that Jingle link MartinR posted yesterday I've just realised it is from LBC's website. This makes me more hopeful that they are going to mark their 40th anniversary in a few weeks time after all, and not let it pass unnoticed, apart from a mention in the news and perhaps by Steve Allen.

I wonder if they are planning a special programme - who would you have presenting it?

Couple of on air bday celebrations happening with some off air parties too. Probably some old faces returning?
  • Options
    coulsdon59coulsdon59 Posts: 2,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Talma wrote: »
    If that was the caller I heard Lamb had no answer as the bloke just calmly continued explaining the thinking behind the idea and why it wasn't working as it should, and agreeing it should have been better thought through, which made Lamb look like a dogmatist as he was just following his line of 'it's the evil government persecuting poor people full stop'.

Yes the bloke just kept calmly explaining his way through but several times LL interrupted as he was about to explain, either firing the question at him again or other questions around the same aspect. Luckily the bloke really knew his stuff so was able to keep cool and silence the Lamb without rising to that level. It DID make Lamb out to be dogmatic.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    coulsdon59 wrote: »
    Having had another look at that Jingle link MartinR posted yesterday I've just realised it is from LBC's website. This makes me more hopeful that they are going to mark their 40th anniversary in a few weeks time after all, and not let it pass unnoticed, apart from a mention in the news and perhaps by Steve Allen.

I wonder if they are planning a special programme - who would you have presenting it?

Maybe they'll put some of those old gold podcasts back on the website that got removed to make more space on the server a couple of years ago?
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nosedive wrote: »
    Maybe they'll put some of those old gold podcasts back on the website that got removed to make more space on the server a couple of years ago?

I would love to hear some of the very early stuff. However, the recordings may not exist, or maybe (the present) LBC does not have the copyright for them.
  • Options
    makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    Yes the bloke just kept calmly explaining his way through but several times LL interrupted as he was about to explain, either firing the question at him again or other questions around the same aspect. Luckily the bloke really knew his stuff so was able to keep cool and silence the Lamb without rising to that level. It DID make Lamb out to be dogmatic.

I know I'm a bit early for the pantomime season, but am I allowed to say "Oh no it didn't!"? :D

Seriously, though, being calm doesn't mean someone knows their stuff. As I said earlier, my own experience suggests the guy was wrong on his assumptions about local vs national govt, in terms of the problems this policy has caused.

I'm aware you don't know me from Adam, but why trust this caller anymore than you'd trust me in terms of 'knowing their stuff'? In any case, there probably isn't a single 'truth' anyway.

It was a good call, but I don't think the caller was right on everything.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the previous couple of pages of posts are proof that listeners hear what they want to hear. Glad I wasn't listening - I might be tempted to join in! ;)
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    I heard it. Lamb was shown up for the total amateur that he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »

At risk of repeating myself, only if you believe what the caller was saying. I think the caller was factually incorrect on at least one point. This doesn't mean LL was shown up...

I appreciate this means believing a stranger online (me!) as opposed to a stranger on air (the caller), but I think it highlights for me the old issue of having presenters who are not experts. They can't challenge an opinion with any authority, and this goes for all LBC presenters, to be honest, even ID.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Is LBC really 40 years old? I thought LBC ceased to exist in the early 1990s when it lost it's franchise to London News Radio. The station we are listening to now is what the new London Newstalk station evolved into. In 1996, that station took on the LBC brand but it was just still the new station with the old name. There was also no station broadcasting under the LBC banner for about 2 years, so either way it's questionable whether LBC is really 40 years old.

Although LBC did lose its franchise to London News Radio (less said about that the better), I believe it bought out, or took over the assets of, the old LBC when it became clear the station would be unable to continue to ensure there was no break in transmission. So there is a direct line of succession through from the original LBC.

Edited to add that I never quite understood why LNR didn't brand the AM service LBC from the off - the goodwill would have been tremendous and the station might not have taken quite so long to recover from the upheaval. As it was, LNR effectively issued an invitation for its audience to go to the new Talk Radio and Five Live.
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although LBC did lose its franchise to London News Radio (less said about that the better), I believe it bought out, or took over the assets of, the old LBC when it became clear the station would be unable to continue to ensure there was no break in transmission. So there is a direct line of succession through from the original LBC.

Edited to add that I never quite understood why LNR didn't brand the AM service LBC from the off - the goodwill would have been tremendous and the station might not have taken quite so long to recover from the upheaval. As it was, LNR effectively issued an invitation for its audience to go to the new Talk Radio and Five Live.

That's not my recollection of what happened and I followed the story very closely in the media at the time. London News Radio was a new company which didn't own the LBC assets but it later bought the name (and possibly other assets?) some time later in 1996. Even if the original LBC was then absorbed into London News Radio, it wasn't for 2 years after LBC lost it's franchise, during which time LBC was not on the air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what way was Mr Lamb more amateur than any other LBC presenter? He is not there to be an expert on every issue but to facilitate discussion, something which even by the descriptions of his critics, he did more than adequately with this caller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    makeba72 wrote: »
    At risk of repeating myself, only if you believe what the caller was saying. I think the caller was factually incorrect on at least one point. This doesn't mean LL was shown up...

I appreciate this means believing a stranger online (me!) as opposed to a stranger on air (the caller), but I think it highlights for me the old issue of having presenters who are not experts. They can't challenge an opinion with any authority, and this goes for all LBC presenters, to be honest, even ID.

Maybe those that think the caller was correct and you are wrong should explain why they think that. It's very easy for some people to criticise Mr Lamb but to support their view, they really should explain why they believe what the caller was saying was any more accurate that any other opinions aired on the show. Or does it come down to the fact that they just want to believe anything that makes Mr Lamb look bad, no matter how inaccurate it is?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The joys of Menorca in the right village....no internet unless you want to spend a fortune...peace and quiet for two weeks..Now back.....So,has LBC taken on any more presenters since the cull of James Max and has AC still got a job? Surely the tennis bore has been exposed as just a coach of tennis to his Tory friends?....And what of JHB/PH it seems a lifetime for me to have heard their insights....Ah....a man can but dream...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe those that think the caller was correct and you are wrong should explain why they think that. It's very easy for some people to criticise Mr Lamb but to support their view, they really should explain why they believe what the caller was saying was any more accurate that any other opinions aired on the show. Or does it come down to the fact that they just want to believe anything that makes Mr Lamb look bad, no matter how inaccurate it is?

I didn't say the caller was correct or otherwise.Some people really should read posts properley, I said Lamb was shown up as an amateur. Not just with this call but with the two or three that followed where he appeared somewhat rattled.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The joys of Menorca in the right village....no internet unless you want to spend a fortune...peace and quiet for two weeks..Now back.....So,has LBC taken on any more presenters since the cull of James Max and has AC still got a job? Surely the tennis bore has been exposed as just a coach of tennis to his Tory friends?....And what of JHB/PH it seems a lifetime for me to have heard their insights....Ah....a man can but dream...

Welcome back, Jonnie. It has been quiet here without you! Even Nick said he missed cutting you off in your prime!!
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Welcome back, Jonnie. It has been quiet here without you! Even Nick said he missed cutting you off in your prime!!

I heard him....very nearly pebbledashed the kitchen table with cornflakes :eek:

Did I hear right...Jonnie batting for those overpaid non-job occupiers at the Beeb :confused:

Does Jonnie seriously consider that £270Kpa is not enough for those troughing fat cats to live on :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    I didn't say the caller was correct or otherwise.Some people really should read posts properley, I said Lamb was shown up as an amateur. Not just with this call but with the two or three that followed where he appeared somewhat rattled.

In my view you are right. As I said in my previous post the caller in question was articulate and intelligent and put forward different points that maybe Larry found it more difficult to get his head round and whether you think the content of his call was incorrect, correct or otherwise it was Larry's inability to deal with such a caller that was exposed here.

I do like Larry though he comes across as very friendly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I heard him....very nearly pebbledashed the kitchen table with cornflakes :eek:

Did I hear right...Jonnie batting for those overpaid non-job occupiers at the Beeb :confused:

Does Jonnie seriously consider that £270Kpa is not enough for those troughing fat cats to live on :confused:

I am sure 'our Chin' would be able to do one of those jobs.

Surely the answer to the BBC woman who is hoping to open a number of cafes is to employ Managers to run them. (Chin, do I see another employment opportunity for you?!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nick Ferrari finally got to the bottom of the burka argument this morning. A strident burka wearer was insisting that the Koran stated that they must cover, but was left looking a bit daft when NF said he'd discussed the matter with numerous senior muslim clerics who all greed that it does not. The caller continued to argue but finally had to admit that it says something about the head covering needing to cover the breasts. In other words these women choose to interpret that as covering the face as well. Wouldn't it make a nice change if these people just admitted that they wear it because they want to hide their face (or that men want to hide women's faces) for their own reasons, and stopped hiding behind all the religious freedom clap-trap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, nothing to do with LBC, but news just in...

Comedian and actor Billy Connolly has had surgery for prostrate cancer and has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. His spokeswoman said he was also having treatment for the initial stages of Parkinson's.

Good luck Billy! Along with Danny Baker, one of my entertainment heroes
  • Options
    thewilsonthewilson Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The bloke was trying to claim that the bedroom fine/penalty policy was both right and wrong at the same time. Sorry, but I fail to see how that can be. If there is something wrong with it, then it should be withdrawn and amended accordingly. Of course that would entail the Bullingdon Boys and their lesser oiks admitting that they had got it wrong, and their supporters doing likewise rather than blaming anyone else.
  • Options
    dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not my recollection of what happened and I followed the story very closely in the media at the time. London News Radio was a new company which didn't own the LBC assets but it later bought the name (and possibly other assets?) some time later in 1996. Even if the original LBC was then absorbed into London News Radio, it wasn't for 2 years after LBC lost it's franchise, during which time LBC was not on the air.

From 1994: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/lbc-signs-off-after-21-years-1440902.html

LBC lost its licences for the FM and AM frequencies last autumn, and went into receivership in March. There were fears it would go off the air completely, but a pounds 1m rescue bid from London Radio ensured continuity up until today's launch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what way was he amateurish? As I said in a previous post, his job is to facilitate discussion which even using the example to the call in question, he seemed to be doing adequately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dpb wrote: »
    From 1994: http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/lbc-signs-off-after-21-years-1440902.html

LBC lost its licences for the FM and AM frequencies last autumn, and went into receivership in March. There were fears it would go off the air completely, but a pounds 1m rescue bid from London Radio ensured continuity up until today's launch.

Thanks for clarifying that, dpb.
This discussion has been closed.