Ahhh - Bless
    See there is a market!
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,278
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    Ahhh - Bless
    See there is a market!

There's the kinky market as well, some blokes like being dressed as babies ;) Not sure how big that market is though :D
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A laklustre series methought.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole thing seems a bit pointless now. As someone posted earlier, they all appear to be looking for excuses NOT to invest, perhaps they've burnt their fingers too often in the past ?
    I'm sure some of those who have been turned down would have had dragons making offers in previous series. The woman who had worked in banking for instance a couple of weeks ago. She was obviously bright and had the business acumen, her product was already on the shelves in Boots and other retailers, they would have been all over her to make an investment a few years ago.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The whole thing seems a bit pointless now. As someone posted earlier, they all appear to be looking for excuses NOT to invest, perhaps they've burnt their fingers too often in the past ?...

Heard it mentioned in passing on the radio that Debra now has nineteen businesses. As time goes on she's obviously got to be more and more picky as there is only so much time she can give to each, same for Duncan and Peter - though I can't imagine what Piers' excuse is...
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,541
    Forum Member
    drop the lift

I don't think anyone would be harmed if it did drop, it looks totally fake to me!

Poor series though, compared to previous ones, IMO.
  • Options
    marieukxxmarieukxx Posts: 4,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not loving this series, I think it's time it ended tbh
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marieukxx wrote: »
    Not loving this series, I think it's time it ended tbh

I agree. Kelly and Peirs appear extremely reluctant to part with their cash and dont add anything to this tired show. Mr Jone's performances are cliched and predictable too.

Time to call it a day.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Did Piers & Kelly actually invest ? I've forgotten.

Can anyone list the investments this series ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Piers & Kelly actually invest ? I've forgotten.

Can anyone list the investments this series ?

Apparently they made one investment the entire series. A fake tan business or something.

It really was the poorest series I've ever seen of DD.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In all fairness to them we haven't actually seen the whole series yet, only half of it. 12 episodes were filmed for this series (the same as last year), but this time they've split them into 2 blocks of 6 episodes. The second block of 6 in airing in January and maybe more of the new dragons' investments will be shown in those episodes. Probably not fair to pass judgement in that regard until all 12 episodes have aired as we don't know how and in what order they've edited it.
  • Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    In all fairness to them we haven't actually seen the whole series yet, only half of it. 12 episodes were filmed for this series (the same as last year), but this time they've split them into 2 blocks of 6 episodes. The second block of 6 in airing in January and maybe more of the new dragons' investments will be shown in those episodes. Probably not fair to pass judgement in that regard until all 12 episodes have aired as we don't know how and in what order they've edited it.

So we've seen the 'recession' block of episodes, and January will be the 'recovery' block, packed with investment. :D
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we've seen the 'recession' block of episodes, and January will be the 'recovery' block, packed with investment. :D

:D

Haha, no, what I mean is that more of Kelly or Piers' investments might be aired in the second block, with fewer of say Peter's.

I might be wrong but thought it was worth considering.
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's not about the way they've edited it. Anyway they would be crazy to air six episodes with few investments and then six with several each.

The problems with this series for me have been:
    • The new dragons not being good enough (one OK, one poor).
    • The really stupid and clearly fake lift.
    • So many of the pitches seem to be about getting publicity rather than investment and there have been too many performances. I don't watch Dragons Den to see song and dance numbers.
    • The crying and sad back stories coming out after the pitches, supposedly without any prompting, but usually preceded by a rather unnatural question which reveals it.

Peter and Duncan are as good value as ever, but I've never felt Deborah was in the same league so now Theo has left the Dragon line up is really weak.

All this might just be acceptable if only they got rid of Evan Davies and his utterly pointless, repetitive and banal commentary. DD has gone from being must see TV to "might watch if there's nothing better on" TV.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this is what Dragons' Den has done.
  • Options
    FriedGoldFriedGold Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Piers is a complete wet fish and made a complete fool of himself with the ring bloke. If he's not going to invest (and not just making offers once all the others have), he needs binning.

And what the hell was Kelly talking about? "The most romantic thing you can do is go together and choose a ring" - really?! I know some people do that but couldn't think of anything less romantic. Bet she's the type who takes her husband shopping to point out what he should get her for Christmas.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FriedGold wrote: »
    Bet she's the type who takes her husband shopping to point out what he should get her for Christmas.

An Amazon wishlist is much less hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FriedGold wrote: »
    Piers is a complete wet fish and made a complete fool of himself with the ring bloke. If he's not going to invest (and not just making offers once all the others have), he needs binning.

And what the hell was Kelly talking about? "The most romantic thing you can do is go together and choose a ring" - really?! I know some people do that but couldn't think of anything less romantic. Bet she's the type who takes her husband shopping to point out what he should get her for Christmas.

Didn't he just. Telling all ring man that he had made a mistake and would of probably got investment if he had shown the rings to begin with....just one thing Piers forgot..he had not ruled himself out! Duh. Then he passes on the investment...classic fail!
  • Options
    BenFranklinBenFranklin Posts: 5,814
    Forum Member
    Bit of a short series
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,280
    Forum Member
    Is there any point of having Ewan as an "in-vision" presenter? A voice over would be good enough.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    Is there any point of having Ewan as an "in-vision" presenter? A voice over would be good enough.

Proves that his agent is doing a good job for him and earning his fee
  • Options
    AndyAndy Posts: 1,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry for bringing this thread back up, but wanted to say thank you for this info. Have just finished and was wondering why the series was a lot shorter than usual.

I'm not really understanding the dislike for the show, though. The only thing that is very tedious for me is the awful lift. I quite like Kelly (she had very big shoulderpads to fill after taking over HIlary, whom I loved). Piers is a different story. I don't hate him, but he hasn't done an awful lot and I agree with some that say he seems to take his lead from the others. I thought the whole online ring making business was leading somewhere and then it fell flat.

Also not understanding the dislike for Deborah on here! I think she's great - why do people not like her?

I miss Theo but will hold reservations until the rest of the series has aired. Just hope they cut a bit of the lift rubbish out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Which would you say was the most nervous pitch, where the entrepreneur sweated the most?

I remember many where the camera actually followed sweat beads in close-up, trickling down an entrepreneur's face, but I can't remember which ones specifically. Anyone here with a sharper memory?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    CJSnet wrote: »
    Which would you say was the most nervous pitch, where the entrepreneur sweated the most?

I remember many where the camera actually followed sweat beads in close-up, trickling down an entrepreneur's face, but I can't remember which ones specifically. Anyone here with a sharper memory?

Anybody?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter Jones on The One Show. I could be totally wrong here but I sensed he wants Theo back and he wouldn't mind if it was at Piers expense. Didn't really seem to have much to say about him where as he was full of praise for Kelly.