Options

Is it right the taxpayer has to pay for free school dinners

radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What with the Lib Dems announcing free school meals for the under 7's costing approx £650million, is it right that the taxpayer should foot the bill for this?

Personally I feel if people choose to have kids they should be in a financial position to do so and not reliant on government handouts.

Comments

• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it means children don't go hungry, then I've no problem with it.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,549
    Forum Member
    What with the Lib Dems announcing free school meals for the under 7's costing approx £650million, is it right that the taxpayer should foot the bill for this?

Personally I feel if people choose to have kids they should be in a financial position to do so and not reliant on government handouts.

False economy. Children going to school is a good thing for the country. Paying for them to eat during the long school day is a small price to pay for having a well educated population.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I, too, think the children of the less well-off should starve.

No, wait, I don't think that at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't agree public funds should be paying £400 per child to feed them for parents who can well afford to do so themselves.

Bribery and corruption.
  • Options
    Caligula75Caligula75 Posts: 1,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    False economy. Children going to school is a good thing for the country. Paying for them to eat during the long school day is a small price to pay for having a well educated population.

This.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't need nor want the government to feed my child for me. Let them spend the money on someone who needs it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I, too, think the children of the less well-off should starve.

No, wait, I don't think that at all.

They shouldn't have kids then if they can't afford them. This isle is creaking at the seams from all the needless offspring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They shouldn't have kids then if they can't afford them. This isle is creaking at the seams from all the needless offspring.

And when they inevitably DO have those kids, you'd be happy to see them suffer just because their parents were skint?
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    If it means children don't go hungry, then I've no problem with it.
    Same :) Plus if they have ate, they will actually learn better especially when they eat breakfast.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to OPs Christmas single `(Don't) Feed The World`
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And when they inevitably DO have those kids, you'd be happy to see them suffer just because their parents were skint?

Yes. We should be more like China and instil a cap on the number of kids and even go one step further and means test people before they're allowed to produce offspring.......yes I know this is just wishful thinking on my part.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone who pays tax has some issue with where it goes.
    You don't like feeding other folks' kids
    Some don't like funding dolies
    Some don't like paying the army to go and kill people in foreign countries.
    Some don't like paying for the NHS
    At the end of the day, it's just part of life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I approve a free meal for every kid, it's good policy.

However, a bigger tax on second homes and buy-to-lets should pay for it.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am happy for my tax to help fund this.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe post in the thread that's already discussing it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. We should be more like China and instil a cap on the number of kids and even go one step further and means test people before they're allowed to produce offspring.......yes I know this is just wishful thinking on my part.

So you'd like us to have the resultant street children and dead kids that China does? We're gonna have to agree to disagree on that one.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather my tax money be spent on things like this than some of the other bullshine that successive governments waste our money on.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member

Do you regard yourself as needless? Maybe someone should have said something to your parents before they cranked you out.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They've just taken Child benefit away from the rich and now handed it back to them.

There is a serious lack of joined up thinking going on.
  • Options
    SkycladSkyclad Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sure we can come up with a disposal method that involves little to no suffering and costs considerably less than this proposed scheme.
  • Options
    WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'd prefer to see free breakfast and lunch provided for all pupils, but means-tested (with a high threshold). Certainly the taxpayer should ensure that school children aren't hungry, and I have no problem with paying higher taxes to ensure that every child gets (at least) two decent meals a day, however dire the state of their parents.
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    What percentage of under 7-year-olds come from well off families? Most of which are happy to pay for school meals.

I can understand why children from low income families have free school dinners.

I think in this case, tax-payers money has been foolishly wasted on what seems like an honourable act, but isn't, not when you consider the spending cuts made to vital public services.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,521
    Forum Member
    I'd be quite happy to see 0.01p of my tax go to feeding a child who would otherwise go without a meal.

I do think a good idea would be for a portion of a family's benefits ( if they are on benefits) to go directly to school so they can provide meals for the students based on that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you regard yourself as needless? Maybe someone should have said something to your parents before they cranked you out.

Nope, I'm an only child and my parents never entertained havin me until they were financially secure enough to do so.
  • Options
    ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see why they are in school when they could be sweeping chimneys or crawling into tight spaces to remove blockages from industrial machinery.