Options

Three 4G Rollout | Free 4G for ALL!

Comments

• Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,458
    Forum Member
    Jabba, will SIM-only customers receive the update automatically, too? Is it just a SIM update that enables it

Say, for example, I buy a 5S outright and go on The One Plan SIM-Only, will I have to contact Three or will it all happen automatically? :)
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a sim only customer, so I do hope so. I wonder where the test sites are!
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    4G test sites go live in November.

First set of cities after the initial three go live early January.

Three stores will get 4G femtos/boosters in July 2014. This is roughly the same time that the 800Mhz roll out starts.

All phones sold via Three after October 1st will NOT require a software update to enable LTE. Phones sold before will recieve an update in December to enable LTE

Thanks for the update Jabba.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I'm a sim only customer, so I do hope so. I wonder where the test sites are!

Most of them are in Reading at the moment.
    Closed tests of course. The first 3 cities will have trials from november.

You should get an update for a sim free phone in December
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Jabba, will SIM-only customers receive the update automatically, too? Is it just a SIM update that enables it

Say, for example, I buy a 5S outright and go on The One Plan SIM-Only, will I have to contact Three or will it all happen automatically? :)
    No you won't have to contact Three. Once Three have their 4G network approved by Apple, your 5S will just need a carrier file update to enable it. This is issued by Apple and can either be done on it's own (in which case your phone will tell you and you just have to accept it) or as part of a larger ios update. Issues are likely to be fairly frequent over the next few months as there are bound to be ios 7 bug fixes and lots of new networks starting to sell 5S/5C in other countries where they get it later than us so worse case you shouldn't have to wait long. Proabably all sorted before Three launch in Dec.

Other phones a bit different. Either they'll be good to go if sold directly by Three or will need a software update applied similar to above.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of them are in Reading at the moment.
    Closed tests of course. The first 3 cities will have trials from november.

You should get an update for a sim free phone in December

Do you know if they using the Samsung cabinets from launch? Or are they using Huawei [EE] ones from launch and slowly replace?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    No you won't have to contact Three. Once Three have their 4G network approved by Apple, your 5S will just need a carrier file update to enable it. This is issued by Apple and can either be done on it's own (in which case your phone will tell you and you just have to accept it) or as part of a larger ios update. Issues are likely to be fairly frequent over the next few months as there are bound to be ios 7 bug fixes and lots of new networks starting to sell 5S/5C in other countries where they get it later than us so worse case you shouldn't have to wait long. Proabably all sorted before Three launch in Dec.

Other phones a bit different. Either they'll be good to go if sold directly by Three or will need a software update applied similar to above.

My unlocked HTC phone let's me select LTE when I put an o2 sim card in, but with my 3 one plan sim card, the option isn't there.

Therefore I assumed there was some sort of setting on the sim card for this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    japaul wrote: »

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    Do you know if they using the Samsung cabinets from launch? Or are they using Huawei [EE] ones from launch and slowly replace?

Don't know that one. All the evidence is pointing towards Huawei now and Samsung later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know that one. All the evidence is pointing towards Huawei now and Samsung later

Figured that was what was happening. Thanks for confirmation about 800MHz as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Figured that was what was happening. Thanks for confirmation about 800MHz as well.

I thought I posted about 800MHz a while back? Been planned for mid next year for a while now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I posted about 800MHz a while back? Been planned for mid next year for a while now

You did but I thought you said you were unclear about it sorry I apologise if I got wrong impression. I can actually see funny enough see it being turned on in London first off to help with capacity. Then starting to get used in rural areas like it was originally intended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You did but I thought you said you were unclear about it sorry I apologise if I got wrong impression. I can actually see funny enough see it being turned on in London first off to help with capacity. Then starting to get used in rural areas like it was originally intended.

Yeh, 800mhz will be In london first. Same as EE I believe.

And yeh. Its 100% confirmed now the 800 roll out will start after mid next year.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will 800MHz be all of London, we could really do with it here in my area of London.

Terrible indoor coverage on both EE & Three in some areas. Come to think of it, O2 and Vodafone are not much better either, could be something to do with the council now allowing lots of masts because I noticed how good it was in East London.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will 800MHz be all of London, we could really do with it here in my area of London.

Terrible indoor coverage on both EE & Three in some areas. Come to think of it, O2 and Vodafone are not much better either, could be something to do with the council now allowing lots of masts because I noticed how good it was in East London.

Imagine it will be most/all of london as most of london will have capacity problems eventually. Probably just certain areas at first though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My unlocked HTC phone let's me select LTE when I put an o2 sim card in, but with my 3 one plan sim card, the option isn't there.

You won't be getting LTE for free then on Three. It's going to be £10 extra per month. Sorry.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(I'm in such a troll mood today :o)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be getting LTE for free then on Three. It's going to be £10 extra per month. Sorry.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(I'm in such a troll mood today :o)

Heyyyyyyy!!!

Even if it were to be £10 extra per month, it a would still wipe the floor with the current competition!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Heyyyyyyy!!!

SORRY! :o

I couldn't help it :D
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    4G test sites go live in November.

First set of cities after the initial three go live early January.

Three stores will get 4G femtos/boosters in July 2014. This is roughly the same time that the 800Mhz roll out starts.

All phones sold via Three after October 1st will NOT require a software update to enable LTE. Phones sold before will recieve an update in December to enable LTE

I'll let you know what i've heard.

800 in late May (i think EE is about the same maybe a tiny bit earlier..) Next cities are 30 days after initial launch.
    App Before Nov.
    Traffic Sense has specific settings for 4G
    Three to offer a faster product than O2/Voda but not as fast as EE Double speed (no info on how they may achieve this)
    New marketing campaign coming shortly (think this has been talked about already tho)

LTE-A & VOLTE in the works for 'next year' but i hear this may be a chargeable product although i have no info how that would even work without confusing people.
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

800 in late May (i think EE is about the same maybe a tiny bit earlier..) Next cities are 30 days after initial launch.
    App Before Nov.
    Three to offer a faster product than O2/Voda but not as fast as EE Double speed (no info on how they may achieve this)
    New marketing campaign coming shortly (think this has been talked about already tho)

LTE-A & VOLTE in the works for 'next year' but i hear this may be a chargeable product although i have no info how that would even work without confusing people.

What about EE's VOIP app?
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member

Where in London are you seeing issues as MBNL network have been pretty good for me in Central and East London for me in the last few months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to bring up an old topic, but, to refresh my memory... Which places will get Three 4G in January after the initial three cities in December?
  • Options
    Forum Member

App Before Nov.

Yup. This is pretty much what i was saying before. 800 after Q2 2014. Next cities in early January. Traffic sense will play a key role. VoLTE is phase three and will be after 800 roll out but still 2014, Voice over Wi-Fi App coming in September/before the end of the year, also the new christmas marketing campaign involving the pony etc...

This was the info i was told back in June and posted throughout July and August including the new sim only plans and the feel like home roaming package which turned out to be correct. So nice to get some confirmation. I was wrong about 4G launch being November though. Turned out it was December.

No idea on whether LTE-A or VoLTE will be chargable.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68207800&postcount=13
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=68390302&postcount=159

Below is an updated list of what i've been told about Three from June to now. Most of this i knew in June. Was wrong about November 4G launch though. It was December
    Correct as of September 2013. (Includes announcements already made-

Three added over 200,000+ customers since Jan 1st this year taking their current customer base to over 9.2m. (Jun 2013)

Three have over 13,500 masts as of the end of Q1 2013 and will be aiming for a further 5,000 by 2015.

Three have 98% HSPA+ coverage and 85% DC-HSPA+ coverage
    Aim for 99.2% 3G coverage by end of 2014.

4G will be free for all customers and will launch in December (Phase 1). (December now. Was wrong about November)
    Second set of cities go live in early January
    800Mhz roll out is phase 2.(After Q2 2014)
    VoLTE is phase 3.... (When Samsung roll out equipment) Mid 2014???
    Three will have over 1.6 million customers with a 4G ready phone at launch. (largest 4G userbase)
    4G announcement and marketing goes live early September. Change from "Ultrafast" to "4G Ready" logo

800Mhz roll out begins mid 2014. (After Q2)
    Three stores will get 4G femto's/boosters after July 2014

Three will be launching a voice over Wi-Fi app in the future. Similar to O2's TU GO and Oranges wi-fi app. (Q4 2013)
    Other networks will be releasing similar solutions this year as well.

Three are going to be changing up their mobile broadband range and launching new Dongles and Mi-Fi's from the ZTE MF8/9xxrange. Launch before 4G.

Three will launch new roaming plans soon. Similar to Three like home. (September)
    More EU countries may be added H1 2014.
    (Feel like home 27/08/13)

Pony advert making a Christmas themed return. New marketing campaign.

New Sim Only One plan pricing + PAYG 321 launch-
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/zmpqt24wfd...629_085448.jpg
    (Picture from Three store guide book thingy i was shown)
    (Introduced 01/08/13)

To combat increased data usage Three will be implementing traffic sense in throttling P2P during peak times (3pm-12pm) and traffic managing tethering on heavy users during peak times (3pm-12pm). Unlimited data and tethering with no fair use policy will remain on the One Plan though. Unlimited data with no tethering will remain on the "ultimate" tariffs.

List of Q1 2014 4G Cites (Could be massively wrong)- Bristol, Cardiff, Derby, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton
    Inc other towns and places

Take all the above with a massive pinch of salt :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

App Before Nov.

I can see how they could charge for LTE-A as they offering LTE for free and I would gladly pay. But if they charged for VoLTE that would be stupid there must be quite a few places where you can get 800MHz and 1800MHz without getting 2100MHz signal sure it would it cause mass confusion. I can see how 2x10MHz of 1800MHz could be faster than 2x800MHz as higher spectrum gives more capacity so they might mean that because capacity is higher it may be able to offer faster speeds. Vodafone should be faster on there 2x20MHz of 2600MHz though. Certainly in two years though when they get the extra 2x5MHz they should be faster than O2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can see how they could charge for LTE-A as they offering LTE for free and I would gladly pay. But if they charged for VoLTE that would be stupid there must be quite a few places where you can get 800MHz and 1800MHz without getting 2100MHz signal sure it would it cause mass confusion. I can see how 2x10MHz of 1800MHz could be faster than 2x800MHz as higher spectrum gives more capacity so they might mean that because capacity is higher it may be able to offer faster speeds. Vodafone should be faster on there 2x20MHz of 2600MHz though. Certainly in two years though when they get the extra 2x5MHz they should be faster than O2.

Agreed. I've personally heard nothing about there being a charge for VoLTE.

Not saying it couldn't happen but i doubt it. Highly highly doubt it.

Could see LTE-A having it's own charge or plans or add on. But then i haven't been told this yet so this post is entirely speculation.
This discussion has been closed.