Options

How can you go without the internet?

Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
Forum Member
I'd be surprised if anyone who posts on DS can go a week without the internet or at least wanting to log on;)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no internet when away and get on fine. After 3 days or so you just forget about DS etc.
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could go without the internet for a week but my customers would probably be a bit pissed off if I tried it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I did for the first 30 odd years of my life
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A week?! :eek: :eek:

I'd get the shakes after a day with no net! :o
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tothegrand wrote: »
    I have no internet when away and get on fine. After 3 days or so you just forget about DS etc.

Same here when I have to travel for work, or I'm on vacation, I'm like what's the internet? Sadly the last 4 months haven't seen a good vacation for me, and the next one is likely not till next May (super sad face, haha) but maybe the internet will help me pass the time quicker ;-)
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine where I'd find the time to keep leafing through books to find out any information that I needed, that's if I even had the relevant books to refer to. So much quicker to do a quick search on the internet than to treck up to the library. I'd manage as I did before but I'd find it frustrating.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if anyone who posts on DS can go a week without the internet or at least wanting to log on;)

Yes, I could live without the internet. However, it would mean that I wouldn't be able to get hard to get items without it. It would also mean that I wouldn't be able to get any series/films etc to see if I liked them enough to buy them. The internet provides you with loads of things at the press of a key, or click of a mouse button. I'd really miss the internet because of what it provides, but I do think I could manage to live without it. Once I got used to not having it around, I do think I'd just get on with life without it.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member

I've done it several times, for longer than a week usually as well.
  • Options
    Baz OBaz O Posts: 1,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I can ... I only started using it 5 years ago and if it didn't exist I wouldn't miss it.
  • Options
    Rare GrooveRare Groove Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    Same here when I have to travel for work, or I'm on vacation, I'm like what's the internet? Sadly the last 4 months haven't seen a good vacation for me, and the next one is likely not till next May (super sad face, haha) but maybe the internet will help me pass the time quicker ;-)

That's different, I am referring to your day to day life. It's easy to forgo the internet on your holidays, that is why they are called holidays, everyone takes a break ;)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could easily go without the internet for a few weeks, but that ain't going to happen any time soon because access to the internet is a pretty big requirement for my job.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I find it useful every day. I read plenty of psychological and sociological articles online I would not have access to otherwise.
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Then you're soooooo wrong .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wrong.
    ic wrote: »
    Then you're soooooo wrong .

Correct.
  • Options
    Owen_KentOwen_Kent Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Not a chance as I need internet for most things, mostly Jobseeking as if I went to the library to do Jobseeking I wouldn't have much time on the pc. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it very inconvenient and I would be annoyed at not being able to google things or look something up quickly. I would also find life more expensive without internet access.

I would be able to find plenty else to do to fill my time though.
  • Options
    RogerBaileyRogerBailey Posts: 1,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My connection has been down in the past and it didn't bother me much. I went 27 years without it anyway.

There's plenty to do on a PC without the internet tbh. Mainly reading. And writing.

I still find myself compulsively saving info to my hard drive from websites - for instance I have hundreds of pdfs exported from wikipedia. I'm not sure why when nowadays I have a very reliable always-on connection.

I think it's a habit I picked up from the dial-up internet days. I had a package which gave me access from 7pm to 7am weekdays and all weekend. So I would save stuff to read on the computer when I was unable to connect during weekday daytimes.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    That's different, I am referring to your day to day life. It's easy to forgo the internet on your holidays, that is why they are called holidays, everyone takes a break ;)

He isn't the only one who said they can go without the internet.
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When ever I go abroad on holiday I have no internet or tv and get along fine, I also don't buy a newspaper, when on holiday I like to leave the modern world behind and really unwind.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I go without using the internet whenever we go away to the in-laws or on holiday to the family house in the New Forest. Sometimes I don't bother to check anything online until late in the evening or the following day, depends on what I'm doing.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My connection has been down in the past and it didn't bother me much. I went 27 years without it anyway.

There's plenty to do on a PC without the internet tbh. Mainly reading. And writing.

I still find myself compulsively saving info to my hard drive from websites - for instance I have hundreds of pdfs exported from wikipedia. I'm not sure why when nowadays I have a very reliable always-on connection.

I think it's a habit I picked up from the dial-up internet days. I had a package which gave me access from 7pm to 7am weekdays and all weekend. So I would save stuff to read on the computer when I was unable to connect during weekday daytimes.

I hate saying with respect but with respect is that relevant. It's like saying my grandfather got along without TV. Reason: because it hadn't been invented. Surely, this is the same with any technology, not just the internet. The mobile phone comes to mind.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I couldn't go a day without it. I'd go mad! I use the internet more than I watch TV these days.
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    I couldn't go more than a day, I just find my life is much more enriched "with" the internet, if everyone went without it, they're wouldn't be a DS lol..
  • Options
    PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    I struggle to go one evening without the internet. :cry:
  • Options
    OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a good thread to post this...Anyone else's Facebook chat not working properly?