Options

The Guilty - ITV1, 9pm

Comments

• Options
    square_eyessquare_eyes Posts: 7,559
    Forum Member
    And the relevance of the detectives personal problems ?
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    It could have been done in a one hour program if it weren't for the pointless, boring and self indulgent 'cop home life' rubbish.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    So what happened to Callum, then? I V+ the episode, haven't watched it yet, and I don't mind knowing in advance for this one. it's obviously no Broadchurch!

I don't quite get that he 'did it to himself' - can someone explain briefly, please!
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    Oh was that it? Did the Dad get charged then? Anyone know what he would be charged with??
    It was OK that's all! :p

Perverting the course of justice?

It's a serious crime that can carry a life term but no-one gets that. Due to the trauma of him losing a son, he'd probably barely serve any time.
    Flukie wrote: »
    So what happened to Callum, then? I V+ the episode, haven't watched it yet, and I don't mind knowing in advance for this one. it's obviously no Broadchurch!

I don't quite get that he 'did it to himself' - can someone explain briefly, please!

The dodgy Felix (son of the neighbour) had shown them a game that involved nearly losing consciousness. Callum got Luke (older brother) to do it to him in the bath till Dad stopped them. Later on he hung himself playing the same "game". Dad thought Luke had done it so buried the body.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella71110 wrote: »
    Oh was that it? Did the Dad get charged then? Anyone know what he would be charged with??
    It was OK that's all! :p

Probably concealing a body and possibly perverting the course of justice. Under the circumstances I dont suppose he would get much.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    I think that's one of the worst most boring dramas I've watched in ages. So much filler and completely unconvincing behaviour. I suppose the writer was going for the dramatic irony that everyone looked guilty and nobody was, but 3 hours just for that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was ok. At least we knew at the end what had happened.

Did anyone watch Southcliffe. I have watched one episode and Im not sure whether to watch the rest.
  • Options
    Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    Think of the biggest pair of pantaloons your granny used to have. That's how pants Southcliffe was.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things that annoyed me about this:
    • If you were going to confess to a murder, how would you do it? Walk into the police station reception and ask to speak to the officer in charge of the investigation? Not in this - you approach a lone woman in an underground car park at night and approach her by opening her car door just as she’s trying to drive away…. Rubbish way to try to create dramatic tension.
    • All the characters’ hair was exactly the same length in 2013 as it was in 2008. Everyone’s. Even the dodgy detective Ron’s sideburns were identical. There was no sense of time passing at all, it all could have been yesterday. Poor production values.
    • The pacing was poor. Almost nothing happened in episode 2 then suddenly someone’s murdered off screen (Thomas Rose) and the detective risks her career by accusing the dad, who then fortuitously confesses.
    • Just feels like we’d seen it all before. Note to TV execs - no more “child-murdered-let’s-explore-the-effects-on-the-family-the-community-and-those-investigating-the-crime” dramas for at least a couple of years.
    • Wouldn’t it be great if in one TV crime drama - just one - the detective’s boss wanted him/her to take as much time as was needed to get the right person? Instead, they’re ALWAYS pushing for someone to be charged, whoever they are, whatever the detective thinks.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do the policewomen in both broadchurch and the guilty have to wear such dull grey trousers and jackets?
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone else infuriated that he'd allowed his wife to suffer the agony of not knowing what had happened to her son for 5 years? That wasn't even touched upon.

Also, If Callum had somehow managed to hang himself, why wasn't there any evidence of that at the scene when Daniel found his body?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Really disappointed with this. It was slow going but I was hoping a cracking ending would redeem it. This was definitely not the case. I thought Daniel Boyd was great in it
    but apart from that I feel it was a waste of 3 hours.

I think the comparison with Broadchurch is ridiculous, that was so unbelievably better in every single way that there is no similarity at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was anyone else infuriated that he'd allowed his wife to suffer the agony of not knowing what had happened to her son for 5 years? That wasn't even touched upon.
    Yes. The detective asked if he felt guilty that Jason and Rose had died, but never mentioned this. Or the fact the nanny had a breakdown. And what about Jason's mother whose home was attacked and then lost her son, who might have been an idiot but wasn't a paedophile or a killer?
    Also, If Callum had somehow managed to hang himself, why wasn't there any evidence of that at the scene when Daniel found his body?
    I assume he assumed that Luke had hanged him accidentally, while playing the game. Of course he could have just asked him.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Z Stardust wrote: »
    Think of the biggest pair of pantaloons your granny used to have. That's how pants Southcliffe was.

Thanks. I wont waste 3 hours of my life watching it. I found it hard to follow in the first episode and it felt quite depressing.
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm.

I found parts of it confusing, it needed a lot of (my) concentration (after a couple of Peronis) to be sure which of some bits were 2008 or present day. It took me a while to realise, "the weather was a lot better back then."
    As usual lots of suspects and distractions introduced in the first episode, but I'll give it a go next week.

I gave up on it , I'm sck of the recent trend of swapping back and forth , from current to 3 years back ( or whatever ) and back again , sometimes without captions .
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the relevance of the detectives personal problems ?

The relevance was that her relationship with her husband was fractious and her son's life would never be what she had hoped for him, yet at the end she looked down a corridor and saw another mother whose husband lied to her on an industrial scale and whose son was dead in horrible circumstances and she felt that at least she had her own family safe and intact.
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The first point was understood. Her reaction was disgust and to call the police. It was subtle. I thought Katherine Kelly played it brilliantly.

The evidence was there in that Callum was bound up by a packing rope but Daniel already had established in his own mind previously that Luke had tried to drown Callum. He probably put this down to Luke being disturbed by his mother's death and being jealous of the child of the new relationship.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for being a bit disappointed. V strange plot altogether tbh. Child accidentally hangs himself, in the middle of the night, when he would have been knackered after the party - then dad thinks other son did it so buried the kid and didn't tell his wife?

Meh.

Problem is that Broadchurch has set the level unrealistically high ;)
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was an ok, but bit boring drama. I found myself more interested in the autistic child & his progress than the 'mystery'. It tried to be too many things.

I was also strangely vexed that an architect would live in such a boring house exactly the same as the other houses in the street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just out of curiosity, as so much time was spent on it, was anything revealed about the cops kid?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simonp820 wrote: »
    +1 for being a bit disappointed. V strange plot altogether tbh. Child accidentally hangs himself, in the middle of the night, when he would have been knackered after the party - then dad thinks other son did it so buried the kid and didn't tell his wife?

Meh.

Problem is that Broadchurch has set the level unrealistically high ;)

Ironically, I thought Broadchurch was dragged out too long! Too many episodes I fast forwarded a lot of it that was - like this one - scenery and silence!
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, as so much time was spent on it, was anything revealed about the cops kid?

On the autistic spectrum, yet to be fully assessed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    On the autistic spectrum, yet to be fully assessed.

Thank you!

What that had to do with anything, of course, is a mystery in this story.
    But the way it turned out, doesn't really matter! Seems it was all space filling for a nothing story in the end.

Cos in the end it seemed to be all about two weird kids - Felix and Luke - and an even weirder father who kept his mouth shut for 5 years.
  • Options
    bebecatbebecat Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Sigh...I hate false confessions and barely believe in them anyway. I mean, I know you get the crazies and there have been some legit one, but I still don't like them. But I disliked the detective and just wanted her instincts to be wrong, but of course, she couldn't be, since she was the star. And what was the tie-in with her kid? Was there any point in his even being there?

The other kid, Felix, being the instigator was kind of obvious, once he appeared.

Overall, this show just was not all that. I didn't find any of the acting very believable or especially good. Disappointed.
  • Options
    mustard99mustard99 Posts: 2,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looby383x wrote: »
    This was an ok, but bit boring drama. I found myself more interested in the autistic child & his progress than the 'mystery'. It tried to be too many things.

I was also strangely vexed that an architect would live in such a boring house exactly the same as the other houses in the street.

Phew, not just me then. I do worry sometimes that I seem to dwell on things that others do not.
This discussion has been closed.