Options

Gloria Hunniford

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434366/Gloria-Hunniford-breaks-daughters-death.html

Do you think all this is getting beyond a joke now, wheeling out Gloria to talk about her daughter's death over and over again?

It can't be positive.

Comments

• Options
    tommytigertommytiger Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2434366/Gloria-Hunniford-breaks-daughters-death.html

Do you think all this is getting beyond a joke now, wheeling out Gloria to talk about her daughter's death over and over again?

It can't be positive.

And it can't be healthy.

She's fame-hungry, like all TV personalities, she's not been on prime time for years, so she sees a chance to be in the limelight again.
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it's perfectly understandable that she still feels sad. But the public nature of the grief does make me feel a little uncomfortable.
    It really isn't positive and IMO, her daughter was such a seemingly happy and lovely girl she wouldn't want her to be carrying on like this.
    The positives are only that there are charities and publicity for the cancer, but it pains me to see this woman prostrate herself on tv for money. Even if it is a good cause.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly understandable that she still feels sad. But the public nature of the grief does make me feel a little uncomfortable.
    It really isn't positive and IMO, her daughter was such a seemingly happy and lovely girl she wouldn't want her to be carrying on like this.
    The positives are only that there are charities and publicity for the cancer, but it pains me to see this woman prostrate herself on tv for money. Even if it is a good cause.

You also have to take into consideration the thoughts and feelings of Caron's children and her husband, who went on to marry Sally Meen. It's not fair to them to keep raking it all up so publicly.
  • Options
    gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I have supported Gloria so many times over the death of her daughter as I am one of those who walked in her shoes when it happened and the years since because the same happened to my daughter.

She can talk about her daughter as many times as she wants and if those who listen don't like it well it is their problem, they are the ones who do not want to talk about it, not Gloria and Yes, it is healthy to talk about it, it is a release to be able to speak about them as there are so many who are repressed by not being allowed to remember in the way they would like by the attitudes of those who have not lost a child, even an adult one and cannot comprehend their sufferings because although we all lose loved ones, losing a child who is still your child in their adulthood is something which we never can get over.

It doesn't get easier as years pass, you learn to live without them and at times it is as raw as the day they passed.

Gloria was asked about her life, up and personal, if she didn't talk about Caren under that criteria, there would be something wrong and it would be relevant to ask if she was speaking about all her life.

Losing Caren was the most horrendous thing she can bear, so think about it, those who criticize her, do you speak about your lost loved ones, do you laugh, remember them and visit their resting place, the only difference is that Gloria is in the public arena and apart from all the hurt, she raised money for the charities involved by speaking about her loss.

So if those who don't want to listen, turn a deaf ear, there are thousands who support Gloria and have suffered the same who do want to hear what she has to say and no one ever should tell those who have been through this sadness, when and how long to grieve, talk about them or the most awful term going "get over it and move on" as though they never existed.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh Gloria not again!!!!!!!

I am sorry you lost your lovely daughter, but thousands of families have also lost their lovely daughters too.

You go on and on and on and on, year after year after year.

One book, then another book. Relentless.

Nothing about how your ex husband Caron's father felt or her brother your son(you never mention him). Its like Caron was your only child and the only young woman to die of cancer ever!

Caron's husband was the worst in the world when he decided to remarry(you went to the papers and whined yet again), your grandchildren need to move on.

You come from Northern Ireland as do I, we have a way of grieving perhaps the Celtic way???? We let go and remember the happy times. Gloria has turned into Queen Victoria after Albert, time must stand still forever, the shrine must be tended, no one is allow to move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    donna255 wrote: »
    Oh Gloria not again!!!!!!!

I am sorry you lost your lovely daughter, but thousands of families have also lost their lovely daughters too.

You go on and on and on and on, year after year after year.

One book, then another book. Relentless.

Nothing about how your ex husband Caron's father felt or her brother your son(you never mention him). Its like Caron was your only child and the only young woman to die of cancer ever!

Caron's husband was the worst in the world when he decided to remarry(you went to the papers and whined yet again), your grandchildren need to move on.

You come from Northern Ireland as do I, we have a way of grieving perhaps the Celtic way???? We let go and remember the happy times. Gloria has turned into Queen Victoria after Albert, time must stand still forever, the shrine must be tended, no one is allow to move on.

How very unkind this post is, kindness costs little,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I have supported Gloria so many times over the death of her daughter as I am one of those who walked in her shoes when it happened and the years since because the same happened to my daughter.

She can talk about her daughter as many times as she wants and if those who listen don't like it well it is their problem, they are the ones who do not want to talk about it, not Gloria.

It doesn't get easier as years pass, you learn to live without them and at times it is as raw as the day they passed.

Gloria was asked about her life, up and personal, if she didn't talk about Caren under that criteria, there would be something wrong and it would be relevant to ask if she was speaking about all her life.

Losing Caren was the most horrendous thing she can bear, so think about it, those who criticize her, do you speak about your lost loved ones, do you laugh, remember them and visit their resting place, the only difference is that Gloria is in the public arena and apart from all the hurt, she raised money for the charities involved by speaking about her loss.

So if those who don't want to listen, turn a deaf ear, there are thousands who support Gloria and have suffered the same who do want to hear what she has to say and no one ever should tell those who have been through this sadness, when and how long to grieve, talk about them or the most awful term going "get over it and move on" as though they never existed.

Who put her in the public arena, she did. Do her grandchildren enjoy seeing their grandmother crying on TV, I doubt it. She doesn't need to do this, unless being on TV drives her more than the thoughts and feelings of others.

It's not a case of 'get over it and move on', but time to be strong, do best you can and to concentrate on the family who are alive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tommytiger wrote: »
    Who put her in the public arena, she did. Do her grandchildren enjoy seeing their grandmother crying on TV, I doubt it. She doesn't need to do this, unless being on TV drives her more than the thoughts and feelings of others.

It's not a case of 'get over it and move on', but time to be strong, do best you can and to concentrate on the family who are alive.

Yes, I agree that she must concentrate on her family now but she was asked on the programme about Carons death, and she cried, do you think it will ever change, no it wont.

I think her grandchildren will understand her crying on TV for their mother as she will be the one they can turn to in asking questions about her which they wont from their stepmother in case it upsets her. She is their grandmother and they are a part of her daughters legacy.

She has been asked about this period in her life, this is the way she feels about it still and if there are other people who do not like it, well don't watch her because she wont change for hard hearted strangers.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How very unkind this post is, kindness costs little,

Sorry you feel that, but Gloria p*sses me off big time.

I have a very good friend, who carries the gene for breast cancer. Her mother, grandmother and a younger sister with young children when all died. My friend had both breasts removed a few years back, works tirelessly for breast cancer even though she has other health problems.

Her brother in law remarried after a few years, she supposed his decision, gets along with his new wife. The children are now grown have children of their own. They remember their mother and the happy times.

When Gloria's son in law decided to remarry, she was whining and you would have thought he was a criminal according to her. My grand children etc was all she went on about in the newspapers. Not, I am glad they will have someone in their lives. No it was all me me me.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member

I have a very good friend, who carries the gene for breast cancer. Her mother, grandmother and a younger sister with young children when all died. My friend had both breasts removed a few years back, works tirelessly for breast cancer even though she has other health problems.

Her brother in law remarried after a few years, she supposed his decision, gets along with his new wife. The children are now grown have children of their own. They remember their mother and the happy times.

When Gloria's son in law decided to remarry, she was whining and you would have thought he was a criminal according to her. My grand children etc was all she went on about in the newspapers. Not, I am glad they will have someone in their lives. No it was all me me me.:mad:

I didn't see it that way at all, she was very hurt he moved on so quickly after Carons death.

Put yourself in her shoes, look at your child and think if they passed away as a young adult, their married spouse turned to someone else so quickly and your grandchildren would be looked after by her and take your daughters place.

She didn't take any limelight by going to their wedding but had a private meal with them before they got married.

What is so bad about that? She was terrified she wouldn't play a part in her grandhildrens life, What was so wrong about that either?

She was bereaved, her son in law moved on quickly, she might lose contact with her grandchildren, it was a very hard time in her life which has been sorted now.

I think it is good that it is in the public domain what problems can happen in these sad situations but don't let your personal dislike for her as a person take over from being sympathetic as to what she went through and still is because it never goes away.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Two years is a bit quick to marry someone else after your spouse has died. If they'd gotten to know each other for a few of years, then got engaged for a few years and then married, fair enough. It's like they wanted to rush it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    Two years is a bit quick to marry someone else after your spouse has died. If they'd gotten to know each other for a few of years, then got engaged for a few years and then married, fair enough. It's like they wanted to rush it though.

As I recall they got close while Caron was dying, Caron gave them her blessing. The same happened when Nigella Lawson's husband John Diamond was dying of cancer, he gave her his blessing to be with Charles Saatchi who was comforting Nigella at the time.

It is rather insensitive to take up with someone soon after the death of a partner, but in both cases it was a prolonged illness and they had time to make choices and to see their partners happy with someone else, someone helping them through the pain.

If I could make sure my husband was happy with someone else before I died, I would do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

It happens though, doesn't it, I had a beautiful vivacious cousin who died early and her husband started seeing someone very soon after she died and is now married.

It seems some men are vulnerable after loss and don't want to be alone and although it may hurt the family, it is their choice.

I think Russ was so exhausted after Carons search for a cure that after she died and Sally was their friend, that his need for support turned to love.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It happens though, doesn't it, I had a beautiful vivacious cousin who died early and her husband started seeing someone very soon after she died and is now married.

It seems some men are vulnerable after loss and don't want to be alone and although it may hurt the family, it is their choice.

I think Russ was so exhausted after Carons search for a cure that after she died and Sally was their friend, that his need for support turned to love.

I think both men and women need support when their partner is dying, if it turns to love then something good has happened. I'd rather know my husband is going to be looked after before I die.

It seems a lot of Gloria's TV appearances are done not for others, but for herself. She may be angry, she may have felt she was losing her grandchildren, but through TV interviews is not the place to discuss it.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's fame-hungry, like all TV personalities, she's not been on prime time for years, so she sees a chance to be in the limelight again.

You named that tune in one !!!!

A sad old bint who will jump at anything to make money - like ads for chair lifts, over 50s plans, etc. She should retire gracefully and switch to QVC or Ideal World!
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could say the same about any of those who have 'shed tears' on Piers Morgan's programme. Do you expect him not to ask Gloria about Caron??

Gloria made her name on TV a long time before Caron's illness, so she has not 'made a career' out of it. If people like Kym Marsh can be granted a prime time interview then I don't see why Gloria shouldn't.

The fact is she lost her eldest child and only daughter. It was probably something of a release to be able to talk about it after the strain of having to keep things quiet for seven years.

I don't see that she has said very much about Russ remarrying. They had a private dinner beforehand, which was much more appropriate than if Gloria had turned up at the wedding, with the cameras poised to catch every facial expression.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    You could say the same about any of those who have 'shed tears' on Piers Morgan's show. Do you expect him not to ask Gloria about Caron??

Gloria made her name on TV a long time before Caron's illness, so she has not 'made a career' out of it.

The fact is she lost her eldest child and only daughter. It was probably something of a release to be able to talk about it after the strain of having to keep things quiet for seven years.

I don't see that she has said very much about Russ remarrying. They had a private dinner beforehand, which was much more appropriate than if Gloria had turned up at the wedding, with the cameras poised to catch every facial expression.

BIB - she hasn't been quiet, hence this discussion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB - she hasn't been quiet, that's the discussion.

She was quiet on the subject during Caron's seven-year illness. The general public didn't even know until Caron's death was announced.

Caron kept on disappearing from her TV programmes and then moved to Australia. It was never mentioned that she was unwell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    She was quiet on the subject during Caron's seven-year illness. The general public didn't even know until Caron's death was announced.

Caron kept on disappearing from her TV programmes and then moved to Australia. It was never mentioned that she was unwell.

OK, I understand what you mean now.

Why not keep that private, for the sake of others, like your grandchildren? Do they deserve to know their grandmother was pissed off while their mother was dying, millions watching at home? There are some things you keep to yourself, even from family.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see what the OP is suggesting. It seems as though people like Morgan need to fill a place on their show and decide 'let's get Gloria Hunniford on and get her to grieve on camera again'....that's how I see it. As a mother myself I can fully understand her grief would be as raw today as it was 8 years ago, you never get over losing a child, but for interviewers to keep asking her to relive 'that time' in my opinion is a ratings ploy and nothing else. We all know now how Caron died, we know how deeply Gloria felt the loss, but honestly does she need to keep being asked to go over it time and again...?

The British public have become hooked on public displays of grief nowadays, you cannot even watch X Factor or BGT without people offering up a personal tragedy as part of their audition. I have begun to think that, in the eyes of TV presenters, unless Gloria Hunniford touches on her daughter's illness and passing during an interview then she will hold little interest for the viewers. Ditto for Peter Andre post-divorce and post-Andrew's death....I am just glad they don't roll Jackiey Budden out each year to cry about poor Jade on national television. I wonder if Morgan has considered doing so....?:rolleyes:

Would anyone watch tonight if Caron was never mentioned...?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be honest, I think that's the reason quite a few people get married these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I think that's the reason quite a few people get married these days.

Anyone willing to marry you yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some people deal with grief by working hard to get through it. Glorias work is TV, so she is faced with either talking about it during talk shows or interviews.

On her other programmes, she doesn't speak of Caron bbut gets on with her job.

If she writes a book, she gives interviews which will bring up Caron but the proceeds for these books help Carons charity.

People are losing their children every single day through illness, accidents or conflicts and someone as high profile as Gloria with her life experience and sadness and how she got through can help these parents in their grief and to know how to get through the future without their children.

So if she isn't for all, she is there for those who need her to see that although it is hugely sorrowful, she has come through and has shown others some of the pitfalls along the way.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she writes a book, she gives interviews which will bring up Caron but the proceeds for these books help Carons charity.

That is one positive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I understand what you mean now.

Why not keep that private, for the sake of others, like your grandchildren? Do they deserve to know their grandmother was pissed off while their mother was dying, millions watching at home? There are some things you keep to yourself, even from family.

Caron's sons are adults now and I think they probably already know that their grandmother was more than a little 'p!ssed off' at the impending death of her daughter.

I would agree that it has become a distasteful trend for people laying themselves bare on national TV and Morgan is predictably calculated in his choice of guests, but I don't see why it is any less justifiable for Gloria to take part than it was for any of his other guests......for Barbara Windsor to talk about her affairs, or for Dennis Waterman to admit hitting his former wife......why single out Gloria for the vitriol? It's one hour in the TV schedule. Folk can switch off if they want to.