Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    Ian 57Ian 57 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    [
    I've no idea how or why Classic Muddley made it into the charts - I just about managed to listen to it all - but,as I said, this is the reason I listen to retro charts to hear songs like this, good or bad. I'd love to know if the song is in their playout system or was brought it especially.[/QUOTE]

If the Tracks Played section on Radio 2 is correct, it is listed as taken from a CD entitled Dead Parrot Society, which I actually have myself, released in 1993 with that track actually listed as Classical MASSACRE.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Ian 57 wrote: »

If the Tracks Played section on Radio 2 is correct, it is listed as taken from a CD entitled Dead Parrot Society, which I actually have myself, released in 1993 with that track actually listed as Classical MASSACRE.

Really? Stranger and stranger. Perhaps the 1981 had to have its title changed because of some news event, like when Massive Attack had to release Unfinished Sympathy as 'Massive' during the 1991 Gulf War? :confused:
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Tony says "we never take a break!" :D
    I also hate it when Tony plugs Dermot O'Leary's show, he mentions it about 4 or 5 times.
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    I also hate it when Tony plugs Dermot O'Leary's show, he mentions it about 4 or 5 times.

Probably been told to do that though.;)
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,904
    Forum Member
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    Probably been told to do that though.;)

To stop everyone reaching for the off button.
    Maybe it's a warning.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if I'm in the minority, but I'm really looking forward to the two 80s charts (1982 and 1987) we're being treated to the week after next - presumably to promote Sara Cox's 80s show starting later than evening. I presume it'll be the chart week ending 9 Oct 82. I have a recording of that chart and there's some great songs in it. If they do 3 Oct 87, that was never broadcast at the time because of them changing the chart date around that time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    If they do 3 Oct 87, that was never broadcast at the time because of them changing the chart date around that time.

Yes, I remember it being a major event in my childhood, the announcement of the New Top 40 changing from Tuesday to Sunday. :D

Bruno Brooke pretending that it was coming in live on a computer link as he spoke...
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I remember it being a major event in my childhood, the announcement of the New Top 40 changing from Tuesday to Sunday. :D

Bruno Brooke pretending that it was coming in live on a computer link as he spoke...

You are right! When those shows began in October 1987 I clearly remember him stating that it was so up to date that the computer was feeding the chart information into the studio as the Top 40 was on air, and at the beginning of the show as he began the lower end hits, he had no idea what the top end of the chart would be, because the computer had not finished its calculations! Starting the Top 40 not knowing what the No1 was going to be.....really?

Classical Muddley was obviously a mimic of Hooked On Classics from Royal Philharmonic Orchestra which had been a big No2 hit early the previous month. I liked that one, and it was out around the time of the wedding of Charles & Diana and one of the snippets in the medley was a classical piece played at their wedding if I recall correctly. The disco beat to classical music worked surprisingly well.

Just wondering if it is possible to download these shows from the Radio 2 website in some way? Despite what I wrote about the 1981 opening track, I actually think that the 1981 chart he played was one of the best he has ever done overall. :cool:
  • Options
    HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember this show in the late sixties/early seventies, Alan Freeman. The man(along with John Peel) mainly responsible for exposing rock and metal to the nation and introduced me to a genre of music I still love today. John peel was after my bedtime, so its was mainly thanks to 'Fluff' I discovered the joys of Zeppelin, Sabbath, Floyd, ELP.....etc etc.
    I mean Alan and John played 20 min Floyd songs for eg..almost unheard of for a national 'pop music' radio station.
  • Options
    RINGWAYMANRINGWAYMAN Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    As a kid growing up at Junior school, the charts were source a of excitement. So much so that, as I had to spend lunchtime at school., I had a friend that went home for lunch and he would scribble down the new top 30 each Tuesday when it was read out by Johnnie Walker just before 1pm. It was the longest hour of a ten-year-olds life!
    But would still listen to Sundays show with Alan Freeman, Tom Brown, Simon Bates, Tony Blackburn, Simon Bates again, Bruno Brookes but by now the light was beginning to fade...
    I wish there something equivalent now..!
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,868
    Forum Member

Bruno Brookes pretending that it was coming in live on a computer link as he spoke...
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    You are right! When those shows began in October 1987 I clearly remember him stating that it was so up to date that the computer was feeding the chart information into the studio as the Top 40 was on air, and at the beginning of the show as he began the lower end hits, he had no idea what the top end of the chart would be, because the computer had not finished its calculations! Starting the Top 40 not knowing what the No1 was going to be.....really?
    :

Yes - Sunday mornings with my head buried in a red top scandal rag picking songs to record, as they'd print the Top 40, was suddenly buggered up by the unveiling at 5pm - I was quite miffed!
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the double 80s show next week, I'd forgotten that POTP is going to feature 1988 this week, which I presume will be the 1 October chart. I was listening to a recording Dale did of this chart back in 2008 yesterday, and here's a list of what was played, for anyone who'd like to compare it to what is played by Tony tomorrow.

1988 October 1
    Climbers
    NE 34 WEE RULE - Wee Papa Girl Rappers
    69 25 DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY - Bobby McFerrin

Top 20
    NE 20 I DON'T WANT YOUR LOVE - Duran Duran
    NE 19 A LITTLE RESPECT - Erasure
    18 17 BAD MEDICINE - Bon Jovi
    20 13 RIDING ON A TRAIN - Pasadenas
    12 11 I'M GONNA BE (500 MILES) - Proclaimers
    16 10 SHE WANTS TO DANCE WITH ME - Rick Astley
    24 08 ONE MOMENT IN TIME - Whitney Houston
    09 07 DOMINO DANCING - Pet Shop Boys
    03 04 TEARDROPS - Womack and Womack
    NE 03 DESIRE - U2
    02 02 A GROOVY KIND OF LOVE - Phil Collins
    01 01 HE AIN'T HEAVY....HE'S MY BROTHER - Hollies

I know mentioning music from 1988 always gets a negative response, but I personally think there's a decent mix of songs there - although the top 2 is a little bit boring. It's certainly not S/A/W infested, as some people say about the charts from this time. Apart from Rick Astley, there is a Jason Donovan track in the top 10 but that wasn't played.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Classical Muddley was obviously a mimic of Hooked On Classics from Royal Philharmonic Orchestra which had been a big No2 hit early the previous month. I liked that one, and it was out around the time of the wedding of Charles & Diana and one of the snippets in the medley was a classical piece played at their wedding if I recall correctly. The disco beat to classical music worked surprisingly well.

I associate it to the Royal Wedding for exactly the same reason, I think it was Clarks 'Trumpet Voluntary' @ 3.24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=159sMOkEq5o
    Just wondering if it is possible to download these shows from the Radio 2 website in some way? Despite what I wrote about the 1981 opening track, I actually think that the 1981 chart he played was one of the best he has ever done overall. :cool:

Don't think you can download it but what you can do is download Audacity and record it in real time (iPlayer?) and edit it, hurry only one day left!

With Audacity you can also edit bits out and save it as an MP3/4 etc.

Also if you use your PVR to record the show, some offer the facility to extract the file onto a memory stick, but it'll be a video file and not an audio one, I'm sure some techy will tell us how to convert?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ClareB wrote: »
    With the double 80s show next week, I'd forgotten that POTP is going to feature 1988 this week, which I presume will be the 1 October chart. I was listening to a recording Dale did of this chart back in 2008 yesterday, and here's a list of what was played, for anyone who'd like to compare it to what is played by Tony tomorrow.

I know mentioning music from 1988 always gets a negative response, but I personally think there's a decent mix of songs there - although the top 2 is a little bit boring. It's certainly not S/A/W infested, as some people say about the charts from this time. Apart from Rick Astley, there is a Jason Donovan track in the top 10 but that wasn't played.

Yes, it was more 1989 onwards that they really took over.

1988 I always associate with the commercial house boom - Bomb the Bass, S-Express, Coldcut, LA Mix, Simon Harris and others. I bet Tony Blackburn wouldn't touch that, despite the fact that loads of it depends on samples from 70s soul.

I loathe that Bobby McFerrin track, but it's a Radio 2 staple as far as I can tell, so I'd be surprised if that were in. It was adopted as the George Bush Snr campaign song for his election, and as such perfectly encapsulates the complacency of the political right at the time. (Not making a point as such, just the reason why I don't like it!)
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,868
    Forum Member
    Yes, it was more 1989 onwards that they really took over.

1988 I always associate with the commercial house boom - Bomb the Bass, S-Express, Coldcut, LA Mix, Simon Harris and others. I bet Tony Blackburn wouldn't touch that, despite the fact that loads of it depends on samples from 70s soul.
    !)

TB championed a lot of early House, I would guess he liked S-Express for sure
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    I associate it to the Royal Wedding for exactly the same reason, I think it was Clarks 'Trumpet Voluntary' @ 3.24 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=159sMOkEq5o

Don't think you can download it but what you can do is download Audacity and record it in real time (iPlayer?) and edit it, hurry only one day left!

With Audacity you can also edit bits out and save it as an MP3/4 etc.

Also if you use your PVR to record the show, some offer the facility to extract the file onto a memory stick, but it'll be a video file and not an audio one, I'm sure some techy will tell us how to convert?

Thanks for this Keicar. ;) I also think you are correct about the snippet from Hooked On Classics & The Royal Wedding. That was the piece I recalled too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Today's Pick Of The Pops will be playing the charts from this week in 1966 and 1988.

Radio 2 @1pm

Ought to play Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha-haa! from the '66 chart, although the track was falling, but hey "it was in the charts" if you know what I mean! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    TB championed a lot of early House, I would guess he liked S-Express for sure

But he has to go along with Radio 2's guidelines. I guessed he would like the samples used, but it wouldn't go with what R2 usually plays.

So it'll be Bobby McFerrin. :yawn:
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do a chart from 1988 that's already been done? Don't they check whether they've already done a chart? Still think they should do some more 90s shows.
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all - 1966 and 1988 - first hour is 01/10/66 - http://www.officialcharts.com/archive-chart/_/1/1966-10-01/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hooked on Classics led to 3 albums being released - I had the first 2...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guantanemera - led to many a football chant... "THERE'S ONLY ONE <insert name>"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea - you about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Hooked on Classics led to 3 albums being released - I had the first 2...

Good afternoon. I made a point of listening to Hooked On Classics last night and realised I actually like it more than I thought. Not sure I would stretch to a couple of albums though! ;)

Regards 1988 later on, I think that autumn saw a definite improvement in the chart hits compared to those from earlier that year, especially the spring early summer which was diabolical.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were Christmas presents when I was 9 and 10....
    Kind of things a nan would buy..

Ahhh - Beach Boys - decent Carl Wilson stuff..