Options

Unemployed to cook for pensioners (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    LysandarLysandar Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they need it they can have trained carers coming in but with cuts backs some carer companies are closing down

You mean funded by the Local Authority?
    So, a saving in their, presumably, social services budget.
    Indirectly, a cut in public spending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    My dad would help me out if needed be . I just hate the thought of signing on and how it would look to friends and so on if the worst happened .

So you would be ashamed to "scrounge off the State" but you'd be happy to "scrounge off your parents?".

Lucky you, unfortunately many people don't have that option.

For many years I thought much the same as you, but when I lost my job first time round it didn't take long to burn through my savings hurrying to pay off credit cards, pay bills etc. I then was forced to sign on for a few months until I found another job.

But then the company I worked for went out of business and I was back on the dole.

I don't have the option of my parents supporting me, especially as my mother is a pensioner and doesn't have much money herself. And I'll bet i'm not the only one in a similar position.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am all for benefits for people who don't abuse the system . But we all know millions are doing that and that has to be stopped . I know friends of friends who sign on and they don't even ring up for jobs and just fill in any old crap and they have not been caught yet .

Christ on a bike, that comment is straight out of the Daily Mail! :D:D

You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about! :D Only 0.8% of ALL benefits (not jus JSA) are paid out fraudulently, that's 1.2bn out of 160bn! So as you can see, the right people are being targeted and dealing with the problem will go huge lengths to restoring the health of the economy! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    We're not sure what long term unemployed actually means as the goal posts shift depending on the scheme and what Minister talks about it.

Some schemes for long term unemployed kick in after 3 years, some after 2 others after just a year and even then, you can be referred onto such schemes from day one of a claim depending on your circumstances and what the Job Centre decide.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    This is a crazy thing.

I do understand that something needs to be done, but this isnt it.

I've been unemployed for 2 years now. I've got 10 years experience as a bar man. I apply for every bar staff position available, I've volunteered in a charity shop, so i've got experience of working in a shop. I've gone on every course possible.

I either hear nothing back or get a message saying sorry this position has been filled now.

Now, this is all coming out about working for your benefits. Its a heap of crap. I've got no problem with working 30 hours a week, but at minimum wage,
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    Haven't the elderly suffered enough?
    :D:D ....
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    One good thing about this policy is that it stands a good chance, by it's divide and rule tactic, of kicking the door open to a different Govt. come the general election.

I think and hope that the Govt. have seriously underestimated the voting public, yes policies like this will appeal to the the more fortunate,less empathetic,the paranoid among us, but to to the vast majority of decent people, who are able to see the wood for the trees, they will recognise this policy for exactly what it is, and kick the Tories out.

The bad news is, we will have to elect one of the other mobs to govern us,

I may emigrate.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    JB3 wrote: »
    One good thing about this policy is that it stands a good chance, by it's divide and rule tactic, of kicking the door open to a different Govt. come the general election.

I think and hope that the Govt. have seriously underestimated the voting public, yes policies like this will appeal to the the more fortunate,less empathetic,the paranoid among us, but to to the vast majority of decent people, who are able to see the wood for the trees, they will recognise this policy for exactly what it is, and kick the Tories out.

The bad news is, we will have to elect one of the other mobs to govern us,

I may emigrate.

lots of people, including me, were astonished when margaret thatcher was re-elected after her first term, when she was elected yet again there were genuine tears in many quarters.

the demonisation of benefit claimants started with her and it`s not really a surprise that the generation raised under her shadow are running with it.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    For those who are desperate for work, it IS difficult. It's psychologically and emotionally draining, and can lead to feeling depressed, angry, low self worth, frustration and a feeling of hopelessness. I left school in May 2011 and have only had two jobs in that time. Both of them were outbound call centres. One of them sacked me after two weeks (they took on too many staff, and got rid of me and other hard workers and kept on those who were useless but were related to the boss) and the other company had staff who harassed me and humiliated me and accused me of touching her up in front of everyone (which I absolutely never!).

I went to college for a year (while still on JSA) and got myself three Highers in Psychology, English and Business Management. I've volunteered in two youth clubs and am now volunteering for a befriending project. I've done so many courses through the jobcentre and it's useless branches of Ingeus and Back To Work scheme and everything like that. I've been at a two day job fair from 9am - 4pm, and I've travelled into various towns numerous times to hand out CV's and beg employers to give me a job even when it's been raining hard and I've had no money to feed myself, I kept going. I sit at home every single day bored out my brains logging on to the same job websites and sit for hours filling out mundane and repetitive application forms and getting absolutely no feedback. I'm absolutely sick to death of answering "Why do you want to work here?" and "What do you do in your spare time?" and "Give an example of great team work". I've answered them all about 50 times each and I HATE IT! I'm sick of having to register and log in to every website and get my password details emailed to me because some job websites have specific specifications for passwords compared to others. I'm sick of spending money at the library printing out CV's and spending money on stamps and envelopes to send them to employers. One of my friends never applied for a single job in his life and yet now works behind a bar at the local pub because his Dad knew the boss. Another friend admitted he's never been interested in working and for years has had money off his parents for **** and booze every week, and suddenly moves to England with his girlfriend and gets a job paying £10 an hour and are also paying him driving lessons. Other friends on Facebook with worse qualifications than me, and less work experience than me are making statuses saying "got a new job! wooooo" every time I log in. Do you know how that makes me feel? Worthless inside. I have no luck at all.

I've had interviews, sure. I had an interview at the cinemas, Greggs, Tesco, a book shop, Teleperformance, Sky, various call centres and restaurants and get nothing. Half of them don't even provide feedback. When I do get feedback, they assure me that I gave a good interview but unfortunately don't have the experience that other people can offer them. How the **** can I compete with that?! I get my hopes up so badly and sit every night rehearsing interview questions and preparing and half the time the employers don't even phone you when they say they will. :mad: I can't catch a break from my family either. My stepdad and Mum think I'm a lazy bastard because all I do is sit in my room every day. My Grandparents constantly nag at me and don't understand anything I tell them. According to them all I have to do is walk into a shop with a CV and tell them I'm desperate and I'll get a job. :rolleyes: Every conversation I have with them is about jobs. I'm fed up of it. My entire family are working and I'm the scrounger who has to eat everyone else's food out the fridge, has to use everyone else's electricity, has to get this bought for him, has to get that bought for him. I can't even afford to buy birthday or Xmas presents I'm that skint. I've became really reclusive recently and deleted Facebook and cut contact with my friends to try and push me harder to get a job. I've got very low self esteem and sometimes think about just ending my life. I'm constantly angry and upset and just want to scream sometimes. I would happily take any job I can but I get nothing. I'm 19 and I feel like my life is wasting away from me. I've accomplished nothing. I can't even take driving lessons or move out or get a car because I've no money. How much longer am I going to be stuck in this hell hole? And I get ignorant bastards everywhere who make fun of people on benefits and claim they don't want to work and how "we're sick of paying for other people's Xboxes and alcohol". :rolleyes:

So there, job searching IS difficult. It might just seem like clicking a few "apply" buttons and checking the job point at the library once or twice a week, but it's absolute hell.

I hope you get something soon :(
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    lots of people, including me, were astonished when margaret thatcher was re-elected after her first term, when she was elected yet again there were genuine tears in many quarters.

the demonisation of benefit claimants started with her and it`s not really a surprise that the generation raised under her shadow are running with it.

Funny how the wheel turns though, innit?

I mean, talk to anybody younger than about 40 and they'll probably tell you how the Labour party are evil cos they came up with bullshit reasons to get us involved in wars and how guys like Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson are slippery weasels and how Tony Blair is a wannabe celeb' etc.

And really, those people have absolutely no f**king clue how much worse things were in the 70's and 80's under Thatcher and Major.
    They're learning now though.
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Funny how the wheel turns though, innit?

I mean, talk to anybody younger than about 40 and they'll probably tell you how the Labour party are evil cos they came up with bullshit reasons to get us involved in wars and how guys like Alistair Campbell and Peter Mandelson are slippery weasels and how Tony Blair is a wannabe celeb' etc.

And really, those people have absolutely no f**king clue how much worse things were in the 70's and 80's under Thatcher and Major.
    They're learning now though.

I am 40 and I know exactly how bad things were, even during her first term, I was brought up in Liverpool and I aint kidding when I say Boys from the blackstuff was a good portrayal of our city in the 80s.

At least this government did not get a majority vote and thats a comfort to me as I dont think it will happen in the next election either.

The only thing, and its a major thing, this government has been successful at is turning working class people against working class people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    the impact of any governmental style on the next generation`s humanity should never be underestimated, good or bad.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they're running out of ideas.
    I mean yes it's probably something that's needed- not for draconian's sake- but to help the wellbeing of these long term unemployed.
    But, it's the same rhetoric, it's like they have no other ideas. I mean the working for Tesco/poundland was basically this. So it's like they're coming up with brand new ideas- but they're all emphasised on one target.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think what they should do is give everyone a rating- a capability of that person to work. Then analyse big company's application procedures to see whether they are excessive for that grade capability. Companies put far too many barriers up in finding people. And it should be clamped down on. It's all very well targeting the job seeker but these job recruiters need also to be looked at.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I am all for benefits for people who don't abuse the system . But we all know millions are doing that and that has to be stopped . I know friends of friends who sign on and they don't even ring up for jobs and just fill in any old crap and they have not been caught yet .

Then it's your civic duty to report them to the appropriate authorities.
    They are committing some form of fraud and you are part of it, letting them get away with it.
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    Then it's your civic duty to report them to the appropriate authorities.
    They are committing some form of fraud and you are part of it, letting them get away with it.

Report them for what :confused: one of the requirements for job seekers is to apply for 'any old crap'. No one has to phone anyone for a job
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Report them for what :confused: one of the requirements for job seekers is to apply for 'any old crap'. No one has to phone anyone for a job

Not pulling their fingers out.
    Sitting around all day.
    Drinking in the Wetherspoons.
    Having a flat screen TV.

Report them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sitting around all day.
    Having a flat screen TV.

Report them.

are you real or just taking the piss?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are you real or just taking the piss?

Real.
    Grass them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Real.
    Grass them up.
    for having a tv? [apart from the other nonsense].
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    I hope you get something soon :(

Thanks.

Just last night I spent an hour applying for a job at Sainsburys. There was over 20 questions with a "choose the best and worst response to this scenario" setting. All the answers seemed acceptable for me so half the time it was just random guesses. They emailed me at exactly midnight (I only applied at 10pm) telling me I was unsuccessful because of my application answers.

How am I supposed to know what the answers are if I've never worked in a supermarket before?! And I go on to apply for other Sainsburys jobs on their website and they're banning me from applying because I don't live within 10 miles of the store. :eek:

edit - and oh, look at that. I go on Direct Gov for jobs and they've only added ONE new job today. Great! It's now 9:27am and I'm already bored stupid. The sun is shining outside and all my friends are at work making money and I'm stuck indoors yet again begging for work.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Sitting around all day.
    Having a flat screen TV.

Report them.

it's not breaking the law drinking and having flat screen tv on you jsa you know.

I got a flat screen tv because I won 500 pounds on the lottery scratch card. and I got another 1 now for the bedroom as my grandpa died and I got off him.

as for drinking I buy what's on offer at the local shop and make it last to my next lot of money. the most of spend on drink at a time is 10 pounds. and I make it last to my next time as I said. if I run out I do not buy anymore.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    Thanks.

Just last night I spent an hour applying for a job at Sainsburys. There was over 20 questions with a "choose the best and worst response to this scenario" setting. All the answers seemed acceptable for me so half the time it was just random guesses. They emailed me at exactly midnight (I only applied at 10pm) telling me I was unsuccessful because of my application answers.

How am I supposed to know what the answers are if I've never worked in a supermarket before?! And I go on to apply for other Sainsburys jobs on their website and they're banning me from applying because I don't live within 10 miles of the store. :eek:

edit - and oh, look at that. I go on Direct Gov for jobs and they've only added ONE new job today. Great! It's now 9:27am and I'm already bored stupid. The sun is shining outside and all my friends are at work making money and I'm stuck indoors yet again begging for work.

I apply for job wednesday evening via e-mail.

they called me next day morning. ask me some questions over the phone said can I start monday ( yesterday).

I did not hear anything so I called yesterday and I still not my day mind up all they want for the job.

it was a agency and i asked if other vacancies and they said not any that are good for me.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sitting around all day.
    Having a flat screen TV.

Report them.

So, as soon as you are unfortunate enough to be in a position to have to claim JSA, you immediately have all your rights revoked? No tv or drinking in pubs until you have a job and absolutely no sitting down whatsoever unless its to do paid work! You are relegated to being part of a second class society to be shunned, spat at and trodden on by those who are lucky enough to hold on to their jobs and proclaim that as a tax payer they have the right to decide who have worth and who do not! What a load of bullshit you talk!

It would appear that the elite are winning over the weak minded of the lower classes or are you kidding yourself that you are part of the elite! I suspect the latter!

What a moronic post!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks.

yeah that's wrong- as well as these personality tests. It borders on prejudice.
    (I'm not actually unemployed but I know what these companies do, it's these graduate public relations people that get these cushy jobs and have to look like they're doing something- so put in pointless application tests, or personality tests to look as if they're doing something-or advancing the procedure- despite tripping up a legitimately good person for the job)
    Only thing you can do is keep applying and finding out the good employers.