Options

Unemployed to be forced to turn up to jobcentres for 35 hours a week

Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,205
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2439942/Unemployed-forced-turn-jobcentres-35-hours-week-stop-cheating-secretly-working.html

My local job centre only has two computers for 'customers' to use. Should be interesting.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's reported on the Radio 4 news just now too. What on earth can someone do there 35 hours per week?

More of the obscene and the absurd from The Nasty Party.

Theresa May paves the way with pledging to be rid of Human Rights.

I loathe them all.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many people can fit in a Job Centre at one time then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, this new plan is very similar to the now defunct New Deal, where about 60 people were crammed into one room with a few computers for about 35 hours a week. I actually went through that, and it really was grim.
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    So one minute job seekers are not getting work because they are lazy oafs who can barely muster the energy to switch on Jeremy Kyle the next they're not getting it because they are working under the table. I don't deny that there are people who do cash in hand to supplement their benefit and will admit that at the pittance that JSA is in some cases I cannot blame them, but from experience and reading forums like this the majority of job seekers are genuine and want an honest job. This "policy" is just another way of patronising people.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2439942/Unemployed-forced-turn-jobcentres-35-hours-week-stop-cheating-secretly-working.html

My local job centre only has two computers for 'customers' to use. Should be interesting.
    Ours has 0! :confused:
  • Options
    mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    They should decide what they want, yesterday it was making the unemployed pick up litter etc now it's attending the job centre
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    They should decide what they want, yesterday it was making the unemployed pick up litter etc now it's attending the job centre

168 hours in a week maybe they intend us to do both.
  • Options
    Neil5234Neil5234 Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    200 applicants for 2 stacking jobs at tescos in my area......when will these idiots realise there are so few jobs around that people can send out 100s of CVs without a frigging reply, create jobs with some investment you bunch of inept useless idiots.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you imagine the public order issues if everyone turned up at the Job Centre INSTEAD of doing the community Service option???

There would be hundreds, maybe thousands at the average Job Centre...
  • Options
    LockesLockes Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Let them keep digging these holes for themselves, people are going to wake up soon and say enough is enough, hopefully them Clegg will run a mile and a general election will be called

OK I can dream can't I?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35 hours...

Gonna FEED them??? Even keeping the loos in bogroll would be a huge spend!
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprised the tories have not considered:

Making them turn up at 8am each morning. That will stop them sitting up all night watching TV and playing X-box games.

When these new "Smart Meters" are rolled out, arrange it so their electricity is rationed so they cannot watch TV all day long.
  • Options
    lucifer samlucifer sam Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous idea but an awful side of me hopes it happens to someone I know who would benefit from being made to be somewhere for 35 hours a week so that they can't do what they are currently doing.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it "all" the unemployed or just those who've been signing on for 2 years or more?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they will create new centres for these activities to take place in, rather than using existing job centres. The article isn't really clear on that point.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is it "all" the unemployed or just those who've been signing on for 2 years or more?

Looks like it's aimed at anyone claiming JSA who isn't on the Work Programme, basically.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people not realize how many people are unemployed in many areas which has not hundreds but THOUSANDS of people. How are they going to manage thousands of people going into a job centre at the same time? UNWORKABLE.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    35 hours a week sat in front of a pc looking for work, and because they are not employees, there is no right to time away from a vdu, breaks or lunch. What a shower of shite they are! Its like they're just making it up as they go along to further demonize, divide and conquer! Once again, we are talking about a small part of a 1.2% portion of government expenditure with almost 3 million unemployed trying to find a job out of half a million available positions!
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to attend a Work Skills course through the Jobcentre at my local college in June this year which sounds pretty much similar to this. There were about 20 people on the course which I was on, we each had to attend for three days per week between 9.30am and 3.00pm Wednesday, Thursday and Friday or our benefits would be sanctioned. Most of the time we were just doing jobsearches on the college's computer terminals although we did get some guidance with regard to interview skills and did a teamworking exercise. We also had a gentleman from a local adult careers service company who came in to give a talk.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok... what would you suggest would benefit people to get them into a form of employment who are found to be cheating the system, long term unemployed for no apparent reason, or not doing what they should be doing?
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather the unemployed were put to better use, medical experiments , crash test dummies, that sort of thing.
  • Options
    darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's reported on the Radio 4 news just now too. What on earth can someone do there 35 hours per week?

I loathe them all.

Well said.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    Ok... what would you suggest would benefit people to get them into a form of employment who are found to be cheating the system, long term unemployed for no apparent reason, or not doing what they should be doing?

Do you mean the 0.8% of JSA claimants who themselves form only a small part of the 1.2% of the governments expenditure. Hmm, well, for a start I'd get my priorities right and not throw the millions it will take to run these stupid schemes to achieve something that wont even scratch the surface in the country's economic recovery!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,490
    Forum Member
    Neil5234 wrote: »
    200 applicants for 2 stacking jobs at tescos in my area......when will these idiots realise there are so few jobs around that people can send out 100s of CVs without a frigging reply, create jobs with some investment you bunch of inept useless idiots.

Quite!

As some insight to anyone who genuinely thinks us unemployed folk are deserving of these restrictions and punishments...

I have sent out 2132 CV's since January 3rd this year.
    I have completed over 300 online applications (OA).
    The average OA takes around an hour...
    ...my longest OA took over four hours.

I have gotten 745 replies.
    I have had 140 positive responses from applications.

36 of these have resulted in interviews.
    I have heard back from 19 interviews.
    I have had 2 positive responses from interviews.

For reference one of the jobs was just too expensive a commute when they revealed the salary, and the other one led to a second interview that I had no response from.

I have 14 A*-B GCSE's and a set of strong enough A Levels. I have experience in office work and a bit of retail. I've volunteered and have proven myself on a social level too. Just for reference.

If anyone dares suggest I don't earn my £56 a week then I would certainly contest that. I work harder than a lot of people who actually have a job. In fact I would be cheeky enough to suggest I bloody well deserve the £71 a week I'd be getting if I was a few years older - my bills are the same, food costs the same, living costs are the same. Just because I'm younger, it doesn't mean I can automatically rely on the 'bank of Mum and Dad' any more than anyone else...I can't. Nor will I have orders barked at me by some Government toff's who are under the delusion that everyone who is unemployed chooses to put themselves in that compromising position - I won't.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I loathe them all.

So do I. This is utterly ridiculous. It would serve them right if all the unemployed people turned up and stayed their all day annoying the job centre staff. Unless they are going to be installing huge numbers of computers and staff to advise and help people with their applications this is a total waste of time.