Options

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D Season 1 (US-Pace)

Comments

• Options
    designer84designer84 Posts: 12,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the first episode this morning and I LOVE IT! I have missed a Joss TV show in my life! Love the cast so far and I like the geeky humour. I look forward to my weekly fix... I would kind of love a subtle Buffyverse cameo... Like one of the Scoobies in the background walking by or maybe Giles or something... Only because I miss Buffy.
  • Options
    2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Early days, but liked what I've seen so far.

I wonder if Coulsons mind is being projected into a Life Model Decoy and he is unaware of it, he showed super human reactions when dodging the van door.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    2FS wrote: »
    Early days, but liked what I've seen so far.

I wonder if Coulsons mind is being projected into a Life Model Decoy and he is unaware of it, he showed super human reactions when dodging the van door.

His brain being 'alive' and body destroyed, instead of being cloned or similar seems to be a better reason why they wouldn't want him to know what has happened to him.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    2FS wrote: »

You beat me to it. :) As soon as I heard that line about 'he can never know' I thought, that's an LMD.

As for the rest, it needs to be a lot more interesting in order to survive. I thought blokie at the start was going to be Luke Cage.
  • Options
    wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You beat me to it. :) As soon as I heard that line about 'he can never know' I thought, that's an LMD.

As for the rest, it needs to be a lot more interesting in order to survive. I thought blokie at the start was going to be Luke Cage.

I'm personally think Coulson has been a LMD in every appearance we have seen of him. Go back and watch the one shot "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer" and even in slow motion his movements are quick so at full speed they must be approaching super human levels so would suggest he is a LMD back then
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the car, it just looked out of place, like it was shoe horned in, all that was missing was Coulson saying "roads... Where we're going we don't need roads"
    The source material predates Back to the Future.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that was an enjoyable episode. I'd still like to see more super villains rather than normal villains (e.g The military in this episode). Loved the bit at the end with Nick Fury.

The team seem to be gelling nicely.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty standard common-enemy-brings-team-together story, but done very well, largely thanks to the top-notch dialogue and the performances of the cast (although Dalton is still a bit wooden. Ward is a role that needs someone more... Fillion'esque)

Melinda May's rapidly becoming my favourite character, she's just pure bad-ass and withering looks. And her name is a nice nod to classic Marvel's love of alliteration. And Coulson is still being written perfectly, retaining the personality of his big screen persona but being fleshed out enough to give him a bit more depth.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still not firing on all cylinders for me.

Coulson is great - wonder how long before somebody notices that if you say Tahiti he responds in the same way every time- programming defect ?

The others are still a bit anonymous for me and there were no surprises in this episode.

But it's witty and not stupid so I'll be sticking with it for a while longer.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings in the U.S dropped quite a bit from the Pilot.

If the network hoped to avoid the usual post-premiere ratings drop, well, that didn’t happen. S.H.I.E.L.D. delivered 8.4 million viewers and a 3.1 rating among adults 18-49 — still utterly triumphant for a 8 p.m., yet down a sharp 34 percent from last week’s record-setting premiere.

As with the pilot I think the story in Ep2 seemed rather light weight.

The characters all have the trademark Witty Whedon Dialogue but I'm wondering if the ratio of witty dialogue to Plot is a bit skewed to the former.

I was wondering if there were too many characters but Joss had 9 Main characters in Firefly compared to the 6 here and there isn't a Firefly episode I can think of where the story suffered in the same way.

If they do want to cut down on the characters they could always combine Fitz Simmons into the same character :D Have some alien device merge the two of them so that Simmons is around during the day but she turns into Fitz at night.
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still enjoying it a lot. Even if it was a typical second episode in terms of story 'team bonds over common enemy'.
    Originally Posted by Ed Sizzers
    Melinda May's rapidly becoming my favourite character, she's just pure bad-ass and withering looks. And her name is a nice nod to classic Marvel's love of alliteration. And Coulson is still being written perfectly, retaining the personality of his big screen persona but being fleshed out enough to give him a bit more depth.

Completely agree with the above on both counts.

Cameo at the end was great "Cancel the fish tank" lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if, if they've got their act together, we might not see Thor in one of the end credits sequences, ahead of the Dark World premiering.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Some parts of the latest episode, like the scenes in Peru, were just plain bad, whereas other parts, like the fight on the plane, showed real promise. Fitz and Simmons just aren't working and need to go. Melinda needs more screen time and, most importantly, the writing needs to improve. Skye and Ward's heart to heart was cringey at times.

It's not a surprise the ratings fell so quickly. They need to fix these problems quickly.
    eggshell wrote: »
    Wonder if, if they've got their act together, we might not see Thor in one of the end credits sequences, ahead of the Dark World premiering.
    None of the big stars are likely to be willing to make cameos, film stars generally consider TV to be beneath them and their agents usually reject all offers. Samuel L Jackson has had a long career, doing TV isn't going to damage his career, so he willingly filmed a cameo. Those less established than him, like Chris Hemsworth, will probably avoid it.
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show has an interesting concept but I feel like it's fighting an uphill battle because the Marvel fans are expecting the fantastical tone of the movies which you're never going to have on a network budget. The cinematography just doesn't match up - those fight scenes in Peru could have been executed on a grander scale if it was part of a movie.

The show is really formulaic and generic but then that's network TV.

Additionally, I don't like the characters - that English girl can't act worth a damn and Ward is literally a walking cardboard cut out. Also, having a team of young 20 somethings makes Shield look less like the competent bad ass organisation they were portrayed in the movies. I find myself thinking, "wait, this is it? This is the legendary Shield?"

I never thought such a lack of diversity could bother me so much.
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    The show has an interesting concept but I feel like it's fighting an uphill battle because the Marvel fans are expecting the fantastical tone of the movies which you're never going to have on a network budget. The cinematography just doesn't match up - those fight scenes in Peru could have been executed on a grander scale if it was part of a movie.

The show is really formulaic and generic but then that's network TV.

I don't think fans of Marvel are that ambitious in their expectations of network tv but i personally expected more superhero action, or lesser known characters (Superpowered or not) to make an appearance.

Also, the way things are set up on this show is far too obvious - I was just waiting for the Peruvian army to take them hostage, from the moment they invited them aboard their secret airship.
  • Options
    slouchingthatchslouchingthatch Posts: 2,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    007Fusion wrote: »
    I don't think fans of Marvel are that ambitious in their expectations of network tv but i personally expected more superhero action, or lesser known characters (Superpowered or not) to make an appearance.

Also, the way things are set up on this show is far too obvious - I was just waiting for the Peruvian army to take them hostage, from the moment they invited them aboard their secret airship.

Not having a dig at you, but surely a show's failure to meet individual expectations is the individual's problem, not the show's? I absolutely take your point that a lot of fans expected more superhero action, but personally I thought the pre-launch PR had made it clear that this series was more about ordinary people doing extraordinary things than anything else. The key really is can the show meet the expectations of a wider mainstram audience upon whose viewing decisions the show will live or die?

100% agree about the set-up of this episode being obvious I guess thatr's the trade-off of a 42-minute TV episode - this one traded off a clever plot for more time on focussing on fleshing out some of the team, which I guess you have to do in the infancy of a show.
  • Options
    bbfiveneverbbfivenever Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets face it, this is not pulling up any trees. It's standard fare and not with the cinematic quality you get in most high budget TV productions nowadays.

It's playing on Agent Coulson's popularity with fan boys, a 2d character that it appears is not really showing anything more than he did in the odd few minutes of the big budget movies.

There is promise in Melinda Mae, but whether Coulson/Clarke/Writers are capable of fleshing out the main character to make him a likeable/believable character remains to be seen.

And what was with that device? Teserract technolgy infused with Gamma radiation? May as well have been made from Vibranium with an adimantium plating.

Lots of forced call outs like the above (+ Hydra and Thor's Hammer one) and thought the Fury scene looked like something that would be in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon...

To say i am not enamoured so far would be correct ;) It's certainly no firefly/Buff/Angel.

Really not sure who it's trying to appeal to.

And while the premise may not have been about Superheroes the traliers that preceeded the show focused mainly on the J. August Richards character (powered with Super soldier/Extremis) and clips of Thor/CA/IMHulk and the battle of New York so i think it was fair to assume there would be Some main players that were higher powered.
  • Options
    margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the first episode and will not watch again. It was far too cliched for me. We know Joss is an anglophile so we had the warring Scot and English person. There just didn't seem to be a story above everyone trying to prove how clever there are to the other characters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pierson wrote: »
    Some parts of the latest episode, like the scenes in Peru, were just plain bad, whereas other parts, like the fight on the plane, showed real promise. Fitz and Simmons just aren't working and need to go. Melinda needs more screen time and, most importantly, the writing needs to improve. Skye and Ward's heart to heart was cringey at times.

It's not a surprise the ratings fell so quickly. They need to fix these problems quickly.

None of the big stars are likely to be willing to make cameos, film stars generally consider TV to be beneath them and their agents usually reject all offers. Samuel L Jackson has had a long career, doing TV isn't going to damage his career, so he willingly filmed a cameo. Those less established than him, like Chris Hemsworth, will probably avoid it.

Ah I think you may have missed the fact that a lot of film stars now want to get in on the golden age of tv..not that this show is golden !

Also who knows what their Marvel contracts specify.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To say i am not enamoured so far would be correct ;) It's certainly no firefly/Buff/Angel
    No denying that Firefly hit the ground running but Angel and especially Buffy took a little longer than two episodes to develop into the shows they eventually became.

Honestly, can you imagine Buffy had debuted this year? It would have been lucky to get a second season.
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    No denying that Firefly hit the ground running but Angel and especially Buffy took a little longer than two episodes to develop into the shows they eventually became.

Honestly, can you imagine Buffy had debuted this year? It would have been lucky to get a second season.

Totally agree. If buffys first season aired now it would be cancelled after the first season
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    The difference between this and Firefly, Buffy and Angel is that Joss has less involvement with this. He's busy with The Avengers 2, so showrunning duties have been left to Joss' brother, Jed, and Joss' sister in law, Maurissa. The last show those two ran was Dollhouse...
  • Options
    beatrice39beatrice39 Posts: 1,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any ideas on how Coulson survived?

- Some weird sort of biomechanical suit?
    - Infused with that technology from Iron Man 3?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beatrice39 wrote: »

My guess is that this is an android...there seems to be a programming glitch where the word "Tahiti" produces the same response every time.
  • Options
    bbfiveneverbbfivenever Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beatrice39 wrote: »

Well, the original theory was that Coulson was a Life Model Decoy (LMD) but maybe it was made with his brain as it appears to have all his memories.

I'm sure in the coming weeks (if it makes it...) we'll see unnatural responses from Coulson, whether they are from Physical reactions to pain or another stimulae remains to be seen...