✭✭
    alan.w wrote: »
    That don't look right upload speed is faster than download speed :confused:

That's normal. http://postimg.org/image/naxvvhlh3/
  • Options
    neyney Posts: 12,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both speeds you both get seem much faster then my BT Infinity.
    This is the speed I get on BT Infinity 97% of the time.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3007976365

Darren
  • Options
    JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ney wrote: »
    Both speeds you both get seem much faster then my BT Infinity.
    This is the speed I get on BT Infinity 97% of the time.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3007976365

Darren

They will be. Google Fiber is fibre to the premises (FTTP) whereas the best we have in this country for the Joe public is fibre to the cabinet. The speedtest result I posted is from my universities connection, which is also FTTP.

It's still silly how Google Fiber customers can get better connections than universities in this country but that's the way it is.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fine if you want Google tracking you even more than they do normally, at least on another provider, you can stop it happening.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Fine if you want Google tracking you even more than they do normally, at least on another provider, you can stop it happening.

When Google have tracked you what happens, do the men in black turn up, do black helicopters fly over your home... how does Google have any real impact upon your life? :rolleyes:

You need to let go with the 'tracking' nonsense chap, its not a healthy look on life.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There's a way around that.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much does it cost? for the service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    There's a way around that.

Not if it is built into the system like Talk Talk homesafe. ok you may be able to use VPN, but that will slow things down.

i don't think changing the DNS servers will by pass it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    When Google have tracked you what happens, do the men in black turn up, do black helicopters fly over your home... how does Google have any real impact upon your life? :rolleyes:

You need to let go with the 'tracking' nonsense chap, its not a healthy look on life.

Just go on your holiday with your GPS on, so google can track you, oh it is Microsoft for you.

you do what you do, I will do what I do,
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happens if you go on holiday with the GPS on? Does it pose some kind of threat? Will someone from Google ambush me on the beach?

I've used Google for years and so far haven't suffered any evil consequences. I probably see more relevant adverts as a result, think that's about it.

I find the fear of Google quite puzzling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just go on your holiday with your GPS on, so google can track you, oh it is Microsoft for you.

you do what you do, I will do what I do,

Track away I say, won't do any harm :) Sunday lunchtime should be @ a pleasant 75c, sit back and enjoy a good lunch while I'm being tracked :cool: The grand children come for half term and for the latest addition to our brood its her first flight (she'll be eleven months and three days old on departure). I'm very excited about the whole thing :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Track away I say, won't do any harm :) Sunday lunchtime should be @ a pleasant 75c, sit back and enjoy a good lunch while I'm being tracked :cool: The grand children come for half term and for the latest addition to our brood its her first flight (she'll be eleven months and three days old on departure). I'm very excited about the whole thing :D

Good for you, to be honest, i don't give a crap,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happens if you go on holiday with the GPS on? Does it pose some kind of threat? Will someone from Google ambush me on the beach?

I've used Google for years and so far haven't suffered any evil consequences. I probably see more relevant adverts as a result, think that's about it.

I find the fear of Google quite puzzling.

I would not have the GPs on, unless i really needed it and then it would be switched off after I got the info I wanted. Saying that I have not switched the GPS on for months.

i just don't want Google to know where I am, simple as that. i also don't want them to know what site I go to. at the end of the day, most sites I go to have nothing to do with google and yet there systems still try and track me so they can chuck their adverts at me.

I don't care about relevant adverts, I am not bothered about adverts, but I don't like the tracking. Adverts on this site are getting awful, they even starting up video adverts now.

after all, a radio station that chucks adverts at you don't track you, nor do ITV.
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sunday lunchtime should be @ a pleasant 75c
    :eek: hot enough to cook the sunday roast outdoors :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good for you, to be honest, i don't give a crap,

Play nicely now poppet :D I'll send you a postcard.
  • Options
    TIVO_YORK99TIVO_YORK99 Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    They will be. Google Fiber is fibre to the premises (FTTP) whereas the best we have in this country for the Joe public is fibre to the cabinet. The speedtest result I posted is from my universities connection, which is also FTTP.

It's still silly how Google Fiber customers can get better connections than universities in this country but that's the way it is.

FTTP is already available to the public in trials. Its available in certain parts of York.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FTTP is already available to the public in trials. Its available in certain parts of York.

FTTP is also available in parts of the UK of a non trial basis as a standard product.

Will Google Fibre ever be available in the UK?
  • Options
    Troy TempestTroy Tempest Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    How much does it cost? for the service?

Three levels of service:

Basic: $300 install (1yrs finance available) = 5Mbs down 1Mbs up Network router, guaranteed free per month for seven years, no contract.

Gigabit internet only: Free install, $70 a month = 1Gbt up and down, network router, 1Tb Google Drive storage, 1 year contract.

Gigabit and TV: Free install, $120 a month = The above plus Google TV box (WiFI, ethernet and Bluetooth enabled), 8 tuner, 2Tb storage network home media server,( whicjh can stream content to iPhone, iPad and of course Android) Nexus 7 tablet. 2yrs contract.

https://fiber.google.com/cities/kansascity/plans/
    Will Google Fibre ever be available in the UK?

Unlikely. Google Fiber is only available to three locations in the States, Kansas City, Austin Texas, and Provo Utah.

It's VERY expensive to install from scratch which is what Google are doing, mainly to wake up the national ISP's to pull their fingers out and get broadband speeds on the up.In many of these towns and cities the average download speeds would only be about 2-4 Mbs.

Here's an infographic from BroadbandGenie

And here, From Kansas to Kettering: is Google Fiber heading for the UK?
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will be. Google Fiber is fibre to the premises (FTTP) whereas the best we have in this country for the Joe public is fibre to the cabinet.

Not quite. BT is installing FTTP in a number of places. The village I live in (2000 people?) has it in some of the (not new build) estates.
    The speedtest result I posted is from my universities connection, which is also FTTP.

Stretching the definition a bit. It would technically be FTTP, but that's a term used more for a last mile broadband network. A university won't be plugged in to the local fibre cabinet, they'll have a dedicated fibre line between them and JANET.

Networking gear to handle 100 gigabit is quite expensive so their link probably isn't that fast - your university might have multiple 1Gbit links or possibly a 10Gbit link to JANET shared across the thousands of computers and people on campus.

Google doesn't have anywhere near that many customers yet, for a start, so they aren't probably close to experiencing congestion (and even if they gave everyone a 1Gbit service, chances are most people aren't saturating that connection). Your university is more likely to have congestion at one or multiple points in their network.

At least your university appears to have installed gigabit switches at the access level, mine (as late as this year) hasn't bothered to do that everywhere, because no one really needs it.

It's not as if you can't study and perform useful academic work on "only" 600Mbit down, 900Mbit up...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after a certain speed, people would not notice anyway, would most people really notice a difference between 80Mb/s and 1Gb/s? Maybe if you got a load of people sharing the same network, but that is about it.

Some people just think they need the extra speed, even if they don't
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think after a certain speed, people would not notice anyway, would most people really notice a difference between 80Mb/s and 1Gb/s? Maybe if you got a load of people sharing the same network, but that is about it.

Some people just think they need the extra speed, even if they don't

I'd definitely say you'd notice the difference between an 80Mbit connection and a 1Gbit connection when it comes to downloading big files. I'd say 5Gbs and above is when there's not really that wow feeling. If people had these connections in the UK (yeah, I know), I think anything above 5Gbs wouldn't be very noticeable. We'd be too used to getting big files quick that anything faster would just be seen as a bonus. So, I think we've got a LONG way to go yet before the noticeable factor wears off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'd definitely say you'd notice the difference between an 80Mbit connection and a 1Gbit connection when it comes to downloading big files. I'd say 5Gbs and above is when there's not really that wow feeling. If people had these connections in the UK (yeah, I know), I think anything above 5Gbs wouldn't be very noticeable. We'd be too used to getting big files quick that anything faster would just be seen as a bonus. So, I think we've got a LONG way to go yet before the noticeable factor wears off.

Oh yeah, if you are downloading large files you will notice the difference, but how many people do that these days? People are suppose to be changing from computers to tablets, from torrents to streaming, so the need to download large files is decreasing.

Even updates for for these tablets are pretty small compared to say the updates we have had in the past for windows. I had to admit, that a few days back I was downloading some Linux Distros and thought it be nice if they would come down faster, but then I went out and left the computer to it.

So I do sometimes think it would be nice to have a bit more speed, but the amount of times I would use that speed is minimal and most of the time I would notice little difference between my 10Mb/s and say the highest FTTc I could get which is around 44. I will find out at the end of the week how fast FTTc is up here as my next door neighbour is getting infinity, not because they need or want it, but because BT kept badgering them. i would have told BT to get lost to be honest.

I can and do manage with 10Mb/s, that is not to say that if my ISp told me that they could up my speed for the same price I would refuse it, because I would not. but I would not pay more for it. As I said, most of the time I would not notice anyway.

i still think a lot of people think they need the extra speed, it is like they get taken in by the adverts, and phone calls from ISPs like BT.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh yeah, if you are downloading large files you will notice the difference, but how many people do that these days? People are suppose to be changing from computers to tablets, from torrents to streaming, so the need to download large files is decreasing.

Even updates for for these tablets are pretty small compared to say the updates we have had in the past for windows. I had to admit, that a few days back I was downloading some Linux Distros and thought it be nice if they would come down faster, but then I went out and left the computer to it.

So I do sometimes think it would be nice to have a bit more speed, but the amount of times I would use that speed is minimal and most of the time I would notice little difference between my 10Mb/s and say the highest FTTc I could get which is around 44. I will find out at the end of the week how fast FTTc is up here as my next door neighbour is getting infinity, not because they need or want it, but because BT kept badgering them. i would have told BT to get lost to be honest.

I can and do manage with 10Mb/s, that is not to say that if my ISp told me that they could up my speed for the same price I would refuse it, because I would not. but I would not pay more for it. As I said, most of the time I would not notice anyway.

i still think a lot of people think they need the extra speed, it is like they get taken in by the adverts, and phone calls from ISPs like BT.

If you run a website from your home connection, like I do, its nice to have a decent upload speed, else it appears very slow to anyone else!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmm... Not sure about that. Yeah, a load of people will use YouTube, but they'll still probably 'download' video and music files. The thing is, you can watch video files on the move, even if there's no internet connection wherever you are. For me, YouTube's good for seeing videos that satisfy my curiosity, but I'd rather download an actual file when it comes to films etc.