Options

UKIP supporters more likely to be racist

Comments

• Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    rusty123 wrote: »
    Blind luck.

Ok it's a major exaggeration to think they'd all come but with our economy looking a lot healthier than a far few of our european neighbours the fact that as many as fancy taking a punt can come if they like is no basis for an immigration policy.

What a load of rubbish Rusty... it's just an immigration scare story as we all know.
  • Options
    cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    Except of course that racists are more likely to be anti-immigration!

Of course. But then you have idiots who claim anyone who is anti-immigration, must be racist.

Also whatever you want to feel about this comment is up to you, but in this day and age...it appears that only white people can be racist anyway.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish Rusty... it's just an immigration scare story as we all know.

I must have imagined all those Poles.
    Thanks for putting me straight:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ever heard of the gold rush?

Ever heard of the north south divide in this country or considered why the population inside the M25 is greater than the entire of Scotland?

Do you think people gravitate towards London for the view?

Ah yes all 500 million of them looking for banking jobs.
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You must be getting forgetful in your old age. You forgot to mention the two things you dislike about the Tories that you include in every thread you go on !:D

I know it's really terrible of me to have an opinion and to express that opinion, especially when it goes against the Tories and their supporters,
    They are, (mostly) by nature more inclined towards wanting those who oppose them to either agree with them or shut up,

and just for you, I despise the Tories, and always will, I 100% agree with Nye Bevan,
    ;):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I must have imagined all those Poles.
    Thanks for putting me straight:rolleyes:

Nowhere near the number you are claiming should be here... so yes you have imagined one or two extra.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What use is a one-line summary of a survey, which includes the word "more" but not the word "than"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nowhere near the number you are claiming should be here... so yes you have imagined one or two extra.

I didn't say should - I said could be here if they chose.

But you know that don't you. ;)
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know it's really terrible of me to have an opinion and to express that opinion, especially when it goes against the Tories and their supporters,
    They are, (mostly) by nature more inclined towards wanting those who oppose them to either agree with them or shut up,

Oh dear, oh dear.

There's nothing quite as sad as when someone voicing their opinion starts proclaiming they are being persecuted when someone has the audacity to disagree with them. It smacks of hypocrisy when you insist on having your say but try to cut off any further debate by implying any disagreement is "them" trying to shut you up.
  • Options
    Camp FreddieCamp Freddie Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and just for you, I despise the Tories, and always will, I 100% agree with Nye Bevan,
    ;):D

No, not that, this old nugget ! :D

Labour have many faults,

The Tories have only 2,

Everything they say,

and evrything they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Staunchy wrote: »
    Oh dear, oh dear.

There's nothing quite as sad as when someone voicing their opinion starts proclaiming they are being persecuted when someone has the audacity to disagree with them. It smacks of hypocrisy when you insist on having your say but try to cut off any further debate by implying any disagreement is "them" trying to shut you up.

I totally agree... it's like people claiming they've been accused of racism in immigration discussions when they haven't at all... just so they can proclaim they have been persecuted... I'm glad you've highlighted the issue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didn't say should - I said could be here if they chose.

But you know that don't you. ;)

But 500 million could be here on a whim!!!! They're just waiting on the sniff of economic recovery!!!! At least you claim... they're just not are they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But 500 million could be here on a whim!!!! They're just waiting on the sniff of economic recovery!!!! At least you claim... they're just not are they.

are you bored or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are you bored or something?

No more than you... and I'm not coming up with nonsense theories about 500 million people immigrating here...

...on a whim.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One of Derby's inner city schools - St James - has almost 90% of its pupils from ethnic backgrounds, you can see the playground from the top floor of the bus I go to work on.

Every third or fourth customer I speak to at work doesn't have English as their first language.

Immigration appears to have caused rapid population growth in some areas of the UK over the last ten years alone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No more than you... and I'm not coming up with nonsense theories about 500 million people immigrating here.

:yawn:

Not biting. You'll need to find someone else to bait.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    One of Derby's inner city schools - St James - has almost 90% of its pupils from ethnic backgrounds, you can see the playground from the top floor of the bus I go to work on.

Every third or fourth customer I speak to at work doesn't have English as their first language.

Immigration appears to have caused rapid population growth in some areas of the UK over the last ten years alone.

Ah... the top of the bus ethnicity test... always sound and scientific

Do you tell your customers you object to their first language not being English or would that make bad business sense... objecting to all these customers... ?

In fact it seems to me you are doing well out of immigration because so many of them are choosing you to do business with... It actually sounds like you'd like to get rid of 75% of your customers which sounds crazy to me... but it's your money I guess (via them ofc).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :yawn:

Not biting. You'll need to find someone else to bait.

But I'm not baiting you... I am responding to the claims you have made. That couldn't be any more clear. You have claimed 500 million people could come here on a whim. That's just nonsense isn't it?

IS this the basis of immigration stories... gross exaggeration and scare stories? And then claim you are being baited if challenged on it. I can see why anti-immigration groups and parties like BNP, EDL and UKIP fail so badly.
  • Options
    CoolSharpHarpCoolSharpHarp Posts: 7,565
    Forum Member
    These threads are so stupid; I would imagine there are racists in all party's. Shall we broaden this out to other party's...

Who voted BNP and why (2009)?

http://www.channel4.com/news/articles/politics/domestic_politics/who+voted+bnp+and+why/3200557.html

"But perhaps the most startling finding came when we tested anecdotal reports that many BNP voters were old Labour sympathisers who felt that the party no longer speaks up for them. It turns out to be true. As many as 59 per cent of BNP voters think that Labour "used to care about the concerns of people like me but doesn’t nowadays".
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The connection does obviously exist though, even if it's only a minority who are both.

There is also a connection between Muslims and terrorism, even if its only a minority who are both. What point are you trying to make?
  • Options
    BlairdennonBlairdennon Posts: 14,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except of course that racists are more likely to be anti-immigration!

Not so black and brown racists may be very pro immigration.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People are naive if they think the Tories don't have similar views.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    People are naive if they think the Tories don't have similar views.

They do... but anchored in their battle for center ground they have to control themselves.
  • Options
    Drunken ScouserDrunken Scouser Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think 'ethnic minority' is a very good term to use in a poll. It's up there with 'asylum seeker' or 'benefit claimant' or 'yooman rights' as one of those term's that is so loaded with negative connotation that pollsters should probably avoid it.

'Non-white' would perhaps be a better descriptive, or perhaps delve deeper and ask about specific ethnic backgrounds rather than just use the blanket term 'ethnic minority', which many people seem to assume just means 'Muslim.'
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,579
    Forum Member
    There is also a connection between Muslims and terrorism, even if its only a minority who are both. What point are you trying to make?
    Merely that the two are not completely unconnected.