Options

Cyclists - why do they annoy you?

Flabby_GutFlabby_Gut Posts: 230
Forum Member
I am a cyclist who tries their hardest to be responsible & safe.

I don't wear high viz all the time or even a helmet but I do use decent lights - day AND night to avoid a SMIDSY -Sorry Mate I Didn't See You.

The problem is that I can't think of any group of people that are hated as much by motorists & it is completely irrational.

My pet hates are seeing anyone on a bike riding like a tit on the pavement. Jumping red lights but most importantly not being visible or having lights.

What are yours?

Comments

• Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riding the wrong way on one way streets. This is a favourite for postmen and women.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember ever being annoyed by a cyclist really, apart from the fact that Lance Armstrong came over as a massive tit. I am grateful to them en masse for not fouling up the air with fumes, and admire their shapely calves.

I annoy MYSELF when I cycle if that counts. I get on my bike with the balletic grace of an elephant seal (wish I'd bought a ladies one now), moan continuously up every hill, jam the brakes on continuously down every hill and wear cycle shorts made for a much slimmer person so I look horrific.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only don't like them when they slow traffic down, like they often do round here.
  • Options
    agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    The fact that vosne is one of them...
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that vosne is one of them...

lmao...I saw your name and knew you'd say something along those lines...:D

Fair point though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't remember ever being annoyed by a cyclist really, apart from the fact that Lance Armstrong came over as a massive tit. I am grateful to them en masse for not fouling up the air with fumes...*snip*

I dunno about that. I fart like a honking seal when I'm really going for it.
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    As a motorist in a largely rural area there's nothing worse than turning a bend then having to slam the brakes to avoid knocking down a cyclist. And to have some git behind blare his horn at ME for having to brake suddenly. Then I have to give plenty of room to overtake him even though it's risky because I still can't see around the bend, but those behind me are getting so impatient with me. Which in turn gets me a bit irate at the cyclist.

It's just a vicious cycle (pardon the pun) unfortunately.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One's who ride on the pavement and the majority of Chinese ones at uni annoy me.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The total lack of responsibility. They are never in the wrong. They could be cycling the wrong way down the M4 at 200mph on chatting on a mobile phone while downing a treble absinthe. Yet still not accept they are in the wrong.
  • Options
    gingerjackgingerjack Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    going through red lights and zebra crossing, riding in two's side by side ,and in general taking no notice of the highway code ,as they seem to think they are exempt
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rafer wrote: »
    The total lack of responsibility. They are never in the wrong. They could be cycling the wrong way down the M4 at 200mph on chatting on a mobile phone while downing a treble absinthe. Yet still not accept they are in the wrong.

What, all of them?
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't. Never been annoyed by a cyclist.
    On the other hand Drivers are VERY annoying.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    What, all of them?

I have yet to meet one who proves otherwise.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the ocelot wrote: »
    As a motorist in a largely rural area there's nothing worse than turning a bend then having to slam the brakes to avoid knocking down a cyclist. And to have some git behind blare his horn at ME for having to brake suddenly. Then I have to give plenty of room to overtake him even though it's risky because I still can't see around the bend, but those behind me are getting so impatient with me. Which in turn gets me a bit irate at the cyclist.

It's just a vicious cycle unfortunately.

in which case you're travelling to fast in the first place

as usual in these debates, stupid motorist blames cyclist for their own stupidity
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In general they don't, it's only the ones who act like complete and utter irresponsible dicks that do. Like the one who decided to scrape a nice gouge into my off-side paintwork and then just ride of leaving me with a £1k repair bill.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Totally agree :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have yet to meet one who proves otherwise.

You need to get out more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You need to get out more.

But there are cyclists out there.............
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree :D

Mmmm, tbf that is my usual modus bicycletty. With added smoking jacket and a dwarf sellotaped to the handlebars to feed me charlie. And a telly.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have many problems with them as a motorist.

As a pedestrian however it's a different story.
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »
    in which case you're travelling to fast in the first place

as usual in these debates, stupid motorist blames cyclist for their own stupidity

Ummm, no, the national speed limit still applies on such roads.

In most cases I'm doing around 50mph, which is about right. And I avoided hitting them. How is that stupidity?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they ride in two's or three's blocking the road, rather than get in single file.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mmmm, tbf that is my usual modus bicycletty. With added smoking jacket and a dwarf sellotaped to the handlebars to feed me charlie. And a telly.

Does the dwarf post here perchance?...
  • Options
    ChandelierChandelier Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    When they cycle on the road inspite of the fact there is a cycle path right next to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the dwarf post here perchance?...

She doesn't seem keen on me sawing her off below the knees. Or procuring class As for me either :cry: