Comments

• Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Hurling.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Boxing is nothing compared to MMA, as you have to learn multiple disciplines, boxing is only just one of them.

you sound like one of them MMA fanboys who thought boxing would die.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    NP73NP73 Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    Biathlon. Got to cross-country ski at top speed for a few kilometres then try to settle yourself to shoot a small target 50m away.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxing is nothing compared to MMA, as you have to learn multiple disciplines, boxing is only just one of them.

So you are saying that if Mayweather got in the ring with an MMA fighter he would lose? He's not even a KO artist and the 1st clean shot (which will be the 1st thrown), and the MMA fighter will be spark out!

Jack of all trades, master of none. Give me the master any day of the week.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you are saying that if Mayweather got in the ring with an MMA fighter he would lose? He's not even a KO artist and the 1st clean shot (which will be the 1st thrown), and the MMA fighter will be spark out!

Jack of all trades, master of none. Give me the master any day of the week.

With respect I would dissagree and I love boxing.
    As has been shown over the years the moment a boxer tries MMA they just get tied up in knots and taken down. In a stand up fight the boxer would win but throw in jujitsu and kick boxing and they wouldn't be able to stand and trade.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowing is up there, they may be sitting down but Rowing at the pace of an Olympic Rower is quite demanding, & even training Rowers i was watching a programme one Rowers, & the Rowers burn 6000 calories every day in training.

While I would agree. I've tried a lot of sports from footy, cricket, horse riding, Karate, snowboarding etc. I have never experienced anything as knackering as rowing. You can't go at your own pace. You are locked in to a team. I rowed in a number of regattas including Henley and it nearly finished me. The sliding seats are designed so that every single muscle gets burned up. So I have to question your use of the term "quite demanding"..
  • Options
    RepublicOfYorksRepublicOfYorks Posts: 3,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardest sport? In terms of physicality I'd say ice hockey.

Put some rugby players on ice skates, make them angry and then allow them to bounce off each others fists for a couple of hours. Good times.

I agree with ice hockey. It's so hard, players can only be on the ice for a few minutes at a time, then they have to change and get a load of new ones. But you don't just have to be a hard swine, if you're like Saku Koivu or someone, you've got ultra- quick hands and hand eye co-ordination to get the puck round the defenders/keeper into the goal.

Some of the footballers would still be standing there wondering what had just happened, even with basic ice hockey training, if they had to face the amazing speed of some of the best attacking players' moves. Even watching you have to concentrate all the time, it's easy to miss something.

It's impossible to 'kill' an ice hockey game like a boring team can stifle a football match.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    Oh and gymnastics looks bloody hard to me.

No-one seems to have mentioned this and I can't think of anything harder!
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,498
    Forum Member
    Darts has to be the hardest sport in the world. The accuracy is implicit and there has yet to be a player in the world to achieve the famed 8 dart finish.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always said golf, everyone can hit a ball in football snooker tennis everyone can get on a ski and move etc, yes all this is done badly if you have never played the sport but it can be easily done, now what about golf whacking a ball up the fairway?

If you're talking about playing a hard sport well, there is Darts Snooker and so on.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    Darts has to be the hardest sport in the world. The accuracy is implicit and there has yet to be a player in the world to achieve the famed 8 dart finish.

You can't get from 501 to 0 (finishing with a double) in less than 9 darts.
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    You can't get from 501 to 0 (finishing with a double) in less than 9 darts.

I know some darts players start from 301, maybe that's what he's getting at?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know some darts players start from 301, maybe that's what he's getting at?

I would think starting from 401 would be a possible 7 darter. It would be entertaining seeing players going for the bull with their 7th dart of the leg from a 401 start. Ironically hitting 2 maximum 180's on your first 2 visits in the leg would leave you with no chance of the 7 darter.

Starting from 301 would take a possible 6 darter

I am not sure of any professional dart tournament that starts from anything less than 501.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pro cycling especially the grand tours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To those who are doubtfull about the eight darts finish - I did some research on the Bobby George website and here's some facts:-

Darts started hundreds of years ago yet the first 9-darter didn't happen untill 1984 (John Lowe) - and I bet before that everyone said it was impossible.
    But since then there have been quite a few more and they are increasing in frequency.

So using some simple mathematics you can work out that more and more the nine darter will become commonplace and what seems impossible now (the 8-darter will eventually get hit).

OK, maybe not in the next couple of years but definately by the end of the decade.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To those who are doubtfull about the eight darts finish - I did some research on the Bobby George website and here's some facts:-

Darts started hundreds of years ago yet the first 9-darter didn't happen untill 1984 (John Lowe) - and I bet before that everyone said it was impossible.
    But since then there have been quite a few more and they are increasing in frequency.

So using some simple mathematics you can work out that more and more the nine darter will become commonplace and what seems impossible now (the 8-darter will eventually get hit).

OK, maybe not in the next couple of years but definately by the end of the decade.

How can you get 501 in 8 darts?

2 x 180's still leaves 141. 141 as the minimum posssible outshot in the situation takes a 3 dart outshot.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    How can you get 501 in 8 darts?

2 x 180's still leaves 141. 141 as the minimum posssible outshot in the situation takes a 3 dart outshot.

It's impossible. Would require a average score of 62.625.
  • Options
    terlterl Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Good Post!
    Toughest has to be Rugby League.
    Most Demanding I would say gymnastics - the physical, technical an mental demands are incredible. Especially so when the elite gymnasts often start their intense training from the age of 9, doing over 20 hours of training week in week out, year in year out! And they dont even get paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's impossible. Would require a average score of 62.625.

SDM you are underestimating the potential and determination of the modern professional darts player.

You must remember it's not just about skill - you need a lightning fast mathematical brain, stamina and the right equipment. Of course mere mortals like us can't work the maths out - I can't even work out the usual checkouts like when the referee says: 'Phil you require 183 or something' - the TV commentators only know because they have computers doing it for them, but the players have to do it in their head.
    So with a combination of genius mathematics, more technologically advanced darts, incredible skill and stamina - someone will achieve the 8-darter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SDM you are underestimating the potential and determination of the modern professional darts player.

You must remember it's not just about skill - you need a lightning fast mathematical brain, stamina and the right equipment. Of course mere mortals like us can't work the maths out - I can't even work out the usual checkouts like when the referee says: 'Phil you require 183 or something' - the TV commentators only know because they have computers doing it for them, but the players have to do it in their head.
    So with a combination of genius mathematics, more technologically advanced darts, incredible skill and stamina - someone will achieve the 8-darter.

Not sure if your being serious here, but, for a 8 dart finish you would need to score 62.625 per dart. Given that the highest score on the board is 60 and the highest out score with 1 dart is 50, it is impossible.

Oh and 183 would be an impossible out too, highest is 170.

So unless the board itself is changed the minimum number of darts from 501 to 0 is 9.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please tell me this is a wind-up. Mental arithmetic from 501 down is hardly rocket-science & the more hours you play, the quicker you get & also learn the various combinations. Did somebody tell you about a possible 8-dart finish on 1st April btw?
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no he's right, an 8 dart finish will happen one day.
    My bet is it's about the same time as golf has its first hole in zero!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oblivian wrote: »
    No, no he's right, an 8 dart finish will happen one day.
    My bet is it's about the same time as golf has its first hole in zero!!

Don't be daft.

SDM you are getting bogged down in the mathematics which is your problem.

Think about it - Phil Taylor and the likes are not just superior athletes compared to people like us - they're also genius mathematicians - you need to be to do professional darts. I'm sure given all the computers in the world and with 0 levels and GCE's and goodness knows what else in maths I would be good at darts too.

That is why people like us once could't conceive the four-minute mile - even with statistics and calculators - Matthew Bannister then came along and reset the boundaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be daft.

SDM you are getting bogged down in the mathematics which is your problem.

Think about it - Phil Taylor and the likes are not just superior athletes compared to people like us - they're also genius mathematicians - you need to be to do professional darts. I'm sure given all the computers in the world and with 0 levels and GCE's and goodness knows what else in maths I would be good at darts too.

That is why people like us once could't conceive the four-minute mile - even with statistics and calculators - Matthew Bannister then came along and reset the boundaries.

Ffs. If you don't like darts, fine.

If you don't feel darts is a sport, try it. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Then try it with several thousand people singing and chanting.

Starting to remember why I left this place with idiots like you around. 👏👏👏
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ffs. If you don't like darts, fine.

If you don't feel darts is a sport, try it. It's a lot harder than it looks.

Then try it with several thousand people singing and chanting.

Starting to remember why I left this place with idiots like you around. 👏👏👏

Hmmm please tell me you're not taking the poster seriously. He/she is obviously looking for bites and you've been hooked good and proper it seems.