Options

Should Simon Mayo drop his Friday phone-in feature?

big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Simon Mayo is a fine broadcaster, but the feature that he does on Friday where he gets people to ring on to say what they are doing at the weekend, in my opinion, is a feature that could alienate some listeners.

He almost always ends up speaking to some middle-class snob who is clearly using the phone-in as a platform to boast and brag about how successful and comfortable their lifestyle is. To me, for a station like Radio 2 in the daytime should be trying to be inclusive to as many listeners as possible, and this bit does not do that.

Especially the way the economy is at the moment, it could be quite uncomfortable for people who are trying to make ends meet listening to someone blatantly showing off about how well they are doing.

Comments

• Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people are just doing something with their family,rather than spending lots of money.

It's hardly radio 2's fault most listeners seem to be middle class.

It's like when Chris Evans talks to the kids in the morning, they all seem to be nice,articulate middle class kids too...

Edit: and let's not even start on the auctions for Children in Need, if you really want to complain about rich snobs!!
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Friday request Drivetime shows should be dropped and I have thought that for more than a year as they are too samey and every Friday it sounds almost like a recording of the previous week's show is being played. The people sound the same and a lot of the songs played are the same. As you've said, a lot of the people who phone in sound very similar/middle class, but perhaps that's the fault of the phone-answerers because it's they who decide whether a caller gets on air or not!

I have rung in several times and got to speak to the guys manning the phones and I have friends who have also got through but have NEVER EVER been called back, maybe our voices didn't fit or maybe it's because we did not ask for songs that Simon wants to play, especially Queen and Bruce Springsteen who get played week after week! We have bets at work to guess what time those two will be played.

Why does Simon Mayo play that stupid Muppet song every week too? I turn down the sound as soon as the first song has been played as I can't bear it!!! Another thing while Drivetime is being discussed on here is why on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays does Simon have all these authors on to advertise their books? That's been going on now for several months and what happened to the music guests he used to have on?

The kids that Chris Evans has on his show in the mornings are probably chosen by those who man the phones and probably not Chris's fault. Anyway, Friday Drivetime request shows are too samey and so are the people who get through. I reckon Simon's probably bored with the format too and hearing about all these people on their way to Yorkshire, Scotland, Barbados, America or wherever they're going.

Simon Mayo's got a blog and he often mentions his bloggers by name when playing records for his theme Mon - Thurs. I'll see if I can find a link to it because it might be interesting to know what they think!!! EDIT - found it, but you have to be registered to post a message. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/simonmayo/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Friday request Drivetime shows should be dropped and I have thought that for more than a year as they are too samey and every Friday it sounds almost like a recording of the previous week's show is being played. The people sound the same and a lot of the songs played are the same. As you've said, a lot of the people who phone in sound very similar/middle class, but perhaps that's the fault of the phone-answerers because it's they who decide whether a caller gets on air or not!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/simonmayo/

I would suggest that's its because they are largely the only type of people who actually phone in. As I said in my original post, as their lives are going so well they are the only ones perhaps confident enough to actually ring in to Radio 2 in the first place and know that what they say on the radio will sound impressive and respectable.

I know that the phone-answerers are unlikely to let on a bloke who says that he's going for a darts match on Friday night before going on the piss and then nursing a hangover on Saturday, but would that bloke be the type to call in? Probably not. There's plenty of people for whom that would be a pretty accurate description of their average weekend, though. So, the phone-in is not at all a microcosm of society as a whole, it is only inclusive of a certain section of society.

The people that do get on are, in general, smug and self-satisfied, and are rubbing it in to everyone else, even if that isn't their intention. For me, at least, it does not make easy listening, and it's the only time I feel like switching Simon Mayo over, because most other things he does on his show are pretty good.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    I
    The people that do get on are, in general, smug and self-satisfied, and are rubbing it in to everyone else, even if that isn't their intention.

The people who get on air are usually just bouncy, tallkative people who make for an interesting listen. Simply being reasonably confident on a call is not the same as being smug and self-satisfied.

Most of the people who call in are either off to visit relatives or to attend someone's birthday party. In what way is that middle-class?
  • Options
    the teddy bearthe teddy bear Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't forget that Chris stared off the All Request Friday feature during his tenure of Drivetime and let Simon carry it on when he moved to Breakfast.

Personally, I think it's a perfect way to start the weekend and sets the show apart from the rest of the week, regardless of whether Jerry and Margot from Middle England are calling in for their favourite song!
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a bunch of complainers you lot are on this thread! The All Request Friday is a great way to start the weekend.I think it's great to hear what people are up to at the weekend.

With regards all the people compaining about the writers that have been on recently 'getting free advertising' - grow up! It's nothing new that writers get interviewed on the radio or telly to talk about their books. It's always busy around this time of year with loads of new books coming out. And as far as the lack of music guests recently Simon has had the Manics, Sting and Peter Gabriel on in the last month, so I would say that's a pretty good line up of music guests.

I find it amazing that people come on DS to complain about the lack of variety on British radio these days and then have a go at a show that is so different to anything else on the music radio at that time of day. Instead of 20 second links after 4 songs back to back, Mayo's Drivetime show is radio for grown ups, with some Intelligent and interesting chat, great music and can still be funny too.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only listen to Simon on a Friday, though I'm not sure why I still do. It annoys me that he seems to think everyone has comfortable 9-5 jobs and are finishing work when a lot of people listening probably don't have jobs or, like myself, are working late or evening shifts. I'm more inclined to complain about the music though. AC DC should be banned, and any woman who ring up who's on a hen do wanting Girls Just Want To Have Fun!
  • Options
    LucaLuca Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always fancied ringing-in, adopting a middle-class driving to a yoghurt-knitting convention in Peaslake type persona, and asking for one of his safe standards like The Power of Love by Huey Lewis. Then, if got to air, altering the song to O Superman by Laurie Anderson to hear the change from sugar sweet indifference to intense get that git off my show irritation in his tone. A broadly similar effect to when Puddleglum stamps out the Lady of the Green Kirtle's fire in The Silver Chair. I am not sure Mayo would turn into a snake as a result; but we can live in hope.
  • Options
    Ramsay LaddersRamsay Ladders Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I personally don't give a damn about what anyone else is up to at the weekend, I would guess that would be the case for most people listening. How on earth can anyone be interested in Patrick, Pippa and their little darlings going off to visit Cornwall for the weekend?

As for requests, it's probably like most other "request" shows where the playlist is mostly predetermined and if you happen to pick one of the songs and your voice fits then you're on.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    I personally don't give a damn about what anyone else is up to at the weekend, I would guess that would be the case for most people listening. How on earth can anyone be interested in Patrick, Pippa and their little darlings going off to visit Cornwall for the weekend?

As for requests, it's probably like most other "request" shows where the playlist is mostly predetermined and if you happen to pick one of the songs and your voice fits then you're on.

I don't think that is the case at all with the requests and the randomness of the selections prove that. Any request show is bound to have some producer or presenter selection and it's not possible to do the show without that. Its likely that Simon gets a lot more requests than its possible to fit into the show so someone needs to make a choice. The producers need to ensure that there is a good variety of music and that they fut into 2 hours. I bet every sing is listener chosen but most listeners will pick well known songs anyway.
  • Options
    PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never understood the fascination with "bigging up the weekend". A lot of people work now or they spend the weekend doing jobs at home they haven't had time for during the week. If you're short of money, hearing people bragging about their plans is not what you want to hear. Most callers on R2 are good Home Counties stock 'cos sadly they're the most articulate. When you've got such a big audience you're going to cherry pick the callers who don't sound thick.

Worse than that though is presenters doing the old "three word weekend"; describe your weekend in three words. Done to death and vacuous in the extreme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    I bet every sing is listener chosen but most listeners will pick well known songs anyway.

That is true, perhaps someone should use the "O Superman" example of another poster and phone in next Friday.

Who has a good Home Counties accent then?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    Worse than that though is presenters doing the old "three word weekend"; describe your weekend in three words. Done to death and vacuous in the extreme.

Yep, 3 words for you........ get new ideas.:yawn:
  • Options
    ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Give me Mayo anyday over Smooth, I heard Jensen the other day and he sounded like he'd rather be swatting flies in a convent. I still miss Johnnie Walker in that slot, he was perfect for me at that time of day.
    I can't be doing with request shows in the main unless they go off piste, rather than "can you play Gloria Gaynor for the girls on their way to Brighton for the weekend"
  • Options
    Casey B SeeCasey B See Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Yes. Unless they stop playing only the songs from people who only have a small memory for music.
    Why do music stations feel it so important to give so much air time to listeners who pick songs. Frankly, I don't care wht they're doing with their weekend, it is of no interest to me. Sometimes, Simon Mayo spends more time talking to the listener about their plans and their song choice than the length of the song itself.
  • Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Unless they stop playing only the songs from people who only have a small memory for music.
    Why do music stations feel it so important to give so much air time to listeners who pick songs. Frankly, I don't care wht they're doing with their weekend, it is of no interest to me. Sometimes, Simon Mayo spends more time talking to the listener about their plans and their song choice than the length of the song itself.
    That is true, perhaps someone should use the "O Superman" example of another poster and phone in next Friday.

Who has a good Home Counties accent then?:D
    Good idea - who's going to give it a go? You're best asking for a Queen, Bruce Springsteen or Huey Lewis song to be sure of being picked and get practising on the Home Counties' accent and have some posh names for your kids!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    The people who get on air are usually just bouncy, tallkative people who make for an interesting listen. Simply being reasonably confident on a call is not the same as being smug and self-satisfied.

Most of the people who call in are either off to visit relatives or to attend someone's birthday party. In what way is that middle-class?

It's because it's usually Tarquin and Jemima heading down to their holiday home in Devon to visit relatives or attend a birthday party in their Land Rover, never Dave and Sandra going to a birthday do at the social club. That is why it's middle-class.
  • Options
    Harry_StevensHarry_Stevens Posts: 992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the main problems with this country let alone the BBC is the class system.:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big mac wrote: »
    It's because it's usually Tarquin and Jemima heading down to their holiday home in Devon to visit relatives or attend a birthday party in their Land Rover, never Dave and Sandra going to a birthday do at the social club. That is why it's middle-class.

I totally agree. Radio 2 can be smug and middle-class at times, and the ubiquity of those callers just adds to that impression. It irritates and alienates me, as I suspect it does many potential listeners from working-class backgrounds.

In fairness though, perhaps more of them make it to air because better educated, middle-class people tend to be more confident, eloquent and talkative.

I would imagine the high volume of speech on Fridays, as with the rest of the station's output, is to create a point of difference from music-intensive commercial radio. However, a bunch of middle-class tossers salivating over their decadent weekend ahead doesn't exactly qualify as meaningful speech.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Buck wrote: »
    I totally agree. Radio 2 can be smug and middle-class at times, and the ubiquity of those callers just adds to that impression. It irritates and alienates me, as I suspect it does many potential listeners from working-class backgrounds.

In fairness though, perhaps more of them make it to air because better educated, middle-class people tend to be more confident, eloquent and talkative.

I would imagine the high volume of speech on Fridays, as with the rest of the station's output, is to create a point of difference from music-intensive commercial radio. However, a bunch of middle-class tossers salivating over their decadent weekend ahead doesn't exactly qualify as meaningful speech.

More eloquent? - yes. More talkative? - well, I would dispute that in some cases, as some of the stereotypical people we are talking about here take themselves way too seriously. I'm sure someone who is considered working-class, while not being as intelligent, would be able to have plenty of "banter" if they were on the Radio. They would also be, in general, less self-conscious and less worried about how they're presenting themselves in case the neighbours are listening.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a rule that you are not allowed to listen to Radio 2 unless you're married with at least two privately-educated children, drive a German brand of car and are a member of the National Trust.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    It is a rule that you are not allowed to listen to Radio 2 unless you're married with at least two privately-educated children, drive a German brand of car and are a member of the National Trust.

I guess not as I don't do any of the above, and I listen to Radio 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black Crow wrote: »
    I guess not as I don't do any of the above, and I listen to Radio 2.

Then you must desist at once! Haven't you heard of Heart? :)
  • Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,377
    Forum Member
    I enjoy the Friday requests on Simon Mayo & always listen on my way home from work. I do find the 3 word thing annoying though and if it was dropped it wouldn't bother me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    I love All Request Friday...lighten up :rolleyes: