Missing episode discovery rumours

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was always unlikely to be the full set but

Wooohoooo:)

We get to see Hartnell and Troughton episodes which haven't been seen in the UK since the original broadcasts:):)
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,103
    Forum Member
    Twitter makes interesting reading today. All kinds of chatter going on :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people in charge of GB are just a bunch of bloody killjoys in their missing episode discussion. You cant say this, you cant say that, Saying such and such will get you a 1 month suspension. Im suprised they actually bother with a missing episode discussion with all those rules for just one section its just crazy.

It just seems a case of dont discuss anything or we ll ban you. Seems a little extreme. I sometimes wonder why people bother to discuss stuff.
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big news from the editor of Doctor Who Online from Twitter

https://twitter.com/DrWhoOnline

Quote:
    There is definitely some misinformation with the #DoctorWho Missing Episode rumours in todays @DailyMirror. We will finally break our...
    Quote:
    ...silence on subject by saying missing episodes HAVE been found and some official news will be released within the next month! #Yay!
    Quote:
    Can't say anything further, but it seems various outlets are reporting this now. As far as we've been told, it's not as many as 100.
    Quote:
    Nothing further will be reported from us until the official BBC announcement. What a great 50th Anniversary this will be! #DoctorWho
    Tweets from Dr Who Online

Are DWO the people that said more big news to come all the way back in April but they didn't want to announce it before the BBC?
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    Twitter makes interesting reading today. All kinds of chatter going on :)
    I must admit, I always pronounce the name of that site as a portmanteau of twitter and chatter.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,103
    Forum Member
    I must admit, I always pronounce the name of that site as a portmanteau of twitter and chatter.

Doctor Who related of course, didn't think I'd need to state that in a DW forum :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people in charge of GB are just a bunch of bloody killjoys in their missing episode discussion. You cant say this, you cant say that, Saying such and such will get you a 1 month suspension. Im suprised they actually bother with a missing episode discussion with all those rules for just one section its just crazy.

It just seems a case of dont discuss anything or we ll ban you. Seems a little extreme. I sometimes wonder why people bother to discuss stuff.
    That site truly is the Bullshitters' Banquet at the moment. Nobody is allowed to question the veracity of claims or ask for actual evidence.

I can sort of see the point in the no-names rule, though. After all, half the fan-da-mentalists would have libelled Paul Vanezis if they had been allowed to mention him by name.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Are DWO the people that said more big news to come all the way back in April but they didn't want to announce it before the BBC?

Yes and they've confirmed on GB today that it was missing episodes they were referring to back in the spring:)
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    here we go again. I wish someone will just confirm or deny this. They want fans to buy the DVD's won't they? So stop mucking fans around.

May as well leak them on youtube so the BBC can't make any money from them.
  • Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,932
    Forum Member
    But surely all of this relates to the episodes that Paul Vanezis said that he was negotiating to get back ages ago, but which negotiations turned out to be fruitless?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    here we go again. I wish someone will just confirm or deny this. They want fans to buy the DVD's won't they? So stop mucking fans around.

May as well leak them on youtube so the BBC can't make any money from them.
    That sort of assumes the current owners (if they exist) would spend several days transferring film to a digital format (at however much that costs) for no profit whatsoever.:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly the first really interesting comment. Credible because it's from someone that has kept quiet on the matter.

If there's any truth to it that should be confirmed quite quickly, as the BBC will certainly have the papers asking them for a statement.
  • Options
    fallfallfallfallfallfall Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    whats with all the hush hush about not telling people whats been found? Do the bbc have a super injunction like Andrew Marr and the one off downton dont have?

also where are the eps now still in Botswana or in a container down barry docks?

ps after all the time i spent burning recons to dvd and printing covers i dont want new eps to be found :mad:
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That site truly is the Bullshitters' Banquet at the moment. Nobody is allowed to question the veracity of claims or ask for actual evidence.

I can sort of see the point in the no-names rule, though. After all, half the fan-da-mentalists would have libelled Paul Vanezis if they had been allowed to mention him by name.

I've got some sympathy for them, you only have to look at some of the more unmoderated forums to see how things can spiral out of control into the offensive, inflammatory and potentially libellous, but at times they do themselves no favours.

I recall one poster being banned for a post that began something like "If it's not too much trouble could you please tell me..." which was apparently viewed as a demand for information.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now the BBC are reporting the claims by The People themselves:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03c05z5/News_Briefing_06_10_2013/

Skip to just after 9 minutes to hear the broadcast.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    Now the BBC are reporting the claims by The People themselves:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03c05z5/News_Briefing_06_10_2013/

Skip to just after 9 minutes to hear the broadcast.
    Although it doesn't inspire confidence that they're merely quoting the article (including inaccuracies such as "tapes") without adding anything to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to Ian Levine's twitter it's Philip Morris who has found the missing episodes, but Philip Morris said this not so long ago “THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED THE END”

I'm confused...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why cant they name the episodes? How exactly would they know them anyway?

Does this mean we finally will get a Fury from the deep episode?
  • Options
    Chris_TVChris_TV Posts: 4,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    According to Ian Levine's twitter it's Philip Morris who has found the missing episodes, but Philip Morris said this not so long ago “THEY ARE NOT MISSING BUT DESTROYED THE END”

I'm confused...

He deleted that statement a few weeks back now. Word is on other forums. Wednesday there will be an announcement of 2 stories returned which have already been digitally restored.

This was going to happen regardless of the Mirror article.

No idea if there will be more to announce in the following weeks or months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although it doesn't inspire confidence that they're merely quoting the article (including inaccuracies such as "tapes") without adding anything to it.

It always seems odd when they do that, but from an editorial point of view the news division tries to present news about its own company the same as reporting on other media company.

The Newsnight episode in which the show investigated itself is somewhat notorious example of this (see this for a quick chuckle - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zImwBY_Vio)

Until the press office say something, they know no more than any other news outlet.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arghhhhh!

To paraphrase John Cleese's Headmaster in that lovely film 'Clockwise' (and not being overly serious);

"It's not the despair. I can handle the despair. It's the *hope* that I can't stand." :(
  • Options
    Dr jake youngDr jake young Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC better release at least just a little bit of info tonight! This is getting too tense!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC better release at least just a little bit of info tonight! This is getting too tense!

I wouldn't hold your breath, it is a Sunday.

If there is any truth to this, probably all that will be released will be a statement to say that their will be a statement during the week.
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what? I still don't believe the story. People that should know better are stuck inside an echo chamber.