Options

Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Yesterday's episode of DM was a fantastic episode and it was very emotional for me, due to personal family issues.

Just like DM and MC, my father went to a boarding school and it was the worse thing that could have happened to him. It has greatly affected him in so many negative ways and it is only now, as a retired man, that he is dealing with these issues, which have hugely affected not only him, but his marriage and his role as a father.

My heart broke when I saw him looking at baby James asleep and when he noticed his mother was making an effort to bond with James, which he himself had clearly missed out on in his childhood.
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morwenna seems to get prettier by the week.

She is a pretty girl and the sooner she gets with Al the better. They are made for each other she is IMO better for him then Pauline or Elaine ever were ( Although technically he wasn't with Elaine);)
  • Options
    Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Is it just me who finds Penhale incredibly irritating?

I don't mind as long as he strips off every now and again I'm happy.:D:D:D;)
  • Options
    petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    A better episode this week, Nice to see Moxey (Christopher Fairbanks) playing a hypochondriac. He is a excellent and versatile actor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind as long as he strips off every now and again I'm happy.:D:D:D;)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Some random thoughts:
    1) This was the most serious of the episodes far. It had a different feel to it, and in my view left the dramedy and fully joined the drama.
    2) I still like Louisa. She is seriously concerned about Martin. She notices at night when he's not next to her. She is more worried about him roaming the house alone at night than she would have been if he had disturbed her. I presume she'd rather have him waking her up in the middle of the night to pour his heart out, than having an undisturbed sleep but a disturbed husband.
    She tries to figure out what is troubling him, and even considers it might be her. But when she suggests it, she isn't angry or agitated or judgemental - she asks it quietly.
    She tries to find ways helping him to sleep, taking in his worry he might disturb her and is prepared. Maybe lavender oil isn't necessarily the measures DM would have taken. I just noticed that after DM has thrown the pillow away ( to which Louisa doesn't react st all), in the next shot DM settles into it.
    3) The shot of the upstairs really looks claustrophobic. I wonder if there'll be a S7 if they move to bigger quarters.
    If the Doc doesn't find his tie anymore, then there's really a crisis on foot. "All of your ties are blue." "No, some are red."
    I was just astonished how naturally he took his tie from underneath JH to put it on.
    DM is still too polite around the house. He doesn't bring himself to go through the door before Louisa, even if it would be the easiest for both of them, Gentleman of the old school.
    4) Whoever decided that Mrs T is fit enough to work in her pharmacy unsupervised again should be slaughtered! She is really creepy this season. Which is a compliment for Selina Cadell. I just hope Louisa isn't going to the chemists too often, or Mrs T will be black and blue all over her wrist,
    5) Astonishingly I liked Bert's storyline. He is quite sweet and romantic and even caring, which he has never shown to be before. For once he is scheming to please someone else, and not just for his own benefits. I hope that also means we'll see the actress playing Jenny in the next series, too.
    6) I hope Al has reached its low now and can get a grip of things, He's sulking after Morwenna, but doesn't follow his own advice he's given his dad to tell her. I can understand that you feel you reached rock bottom when you're woken in the morning by Penhale. He doesn't have anything useful to do, just helping out. He deserves better than that. AR could be a help, unless of course she needs his services.
    7) I doubt it very much that Morwenna will ever accept an invitation by Mike again. She looked if she was looking for the next way out. A pretty face maybe. A useful pair of hands maybe. But definitely not fun to be with and, if possible, even worse at communicating than DM. If I were Al, I wouldn't despair.
    8) I like Morwenna. She's the most efficient of all receptionists. She also gets the Doc best. She admitted at the date with Mike that DM has to stand morons. She clears the waiting room efficiently and translates what the Doc means when he's talking to Malcolm. All in all - GOOD WORK!
    9) Penhale's storyline didn't do it at all for me. However, it made me think how much time is supposed to be between E5 and E6. Last week, JP shot himself in the foot, but last night he was walking without any trouble. Besides, we learned that JH is nine months old. At the beginning of the series, he was six months? Between E1 and E2 two weeks passed.
    By the way, is that what April looks like in Portwenn? (JH born in July). The Portwenn effect of eternal summer, I suppose. Oh yes, and then the wedding would have been January or February. Am I right?
    10) After Louisa had learned that DM vomited over JP ("no problem, Doc" - and I'm afraid he really meant it!), LE doesn't bite DMs head off for learning it last by the grapevine, but really tries to understand and to help him. His admission that he really doesn't know the reason himself is as close as opening up to her as he has come so far. She really wants to care. Now he just has to learn to let her.
    11) It can't be avoided any longer - SHE is back! Just when a tiny crack in his armour could possibly open up, he has to get his defences as high as he can.
    CM (= creepy mum) is really shocked to learn that her son is married and has a son. She probably thought they had ruined him for good so that no one would touch him even if he'd be the last male on the planet. They didn't know the determination of a certain Cornish school teacher.
    CMs plans were really jeopardized by this new information.
    A shame really that DM has never told LE how horrible his mum was, or LE wouldn't have let her in, I suppose. In moments like this DM is really unable to defend himself.
    LE didn't really get the hint about the spare room, but DM showing CM the village was taking it a step too far.
    Iliked the scene when they prepared the spare room together. It had a homely feel, and LE was trying again to get closer to DM, but of course he was "fine".
    I bet LE regretted her invitation the next morning. Not only because of the way CM refused to feed her grandson, but mainly because of her comment that DM had cried himself to sleep eventually, when he has been little. The next piece of the jigsaw puzzle for Louisa.
    CM keeps on criticising. You're still a GP. The plate was cheap. Still those little insults getting to him.
    I mean how freaked out by your own parent ars you when you let a plate drop when she touches you.
    Besides, DM really isn't very sensitive in social matters, but even he was shocked to learn that the funeral had been two weeks earlier and he wasn't informed. That's even a step too far for him!
    DM is always on high alert, when he sees CM near JH. Interestingly enough, AR shows the same reaction.
    DM tries everything not to have to talk to his mum. When she finally corners him, we see why. He is really close to his cracking point. Absolutely brilliant acting by DM. DM only regains his composure when he re-claims his son from CM and builds a union with him against her.
    His mother really shows her true intentions there - she needs a place to live and expects her son to care for her.
    However, he isn't as desperate as she hoped he might be. He has a family - Louisa, JH, Ruth. I liked the order.
    He also quite clearly realised that it is too late to get on good terms with his parents.
    In the scene where he stands at his son's cot at night, it almost seemed to me he was checking if the contact with CM had already harmed him.
    12) One last word - and I repeat myself every week. How brilliant are the toddlers playing JH?! How long do they repeat the takes to get the reaction?!
    When CM wants to hold JH, he is fighting it with hands and feet, while he's absolutely relaxed with Mike, Louisa and DM. So it can't just be because she's a stranger. But for the story absolutely perfect. Also when DM and CM had the talk and she is leaving, the way JH looks after her and then to DM. Brilliant!
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Thank you for your kind words. I am not sure what I think. I am sort of stunned and anxious about the next episode and so very sorry for DM as a child and an adult.

Obviously DM never mentioned his parents to LG. At least she got the drift when his mother said “he cried himself to sleep – eventually.” Chilling. Not controlled crying – neglect.

Yes LG is insecure and who wouldn’t be when DM is a complete enigma and won’t talk to her. But to be fair to DM she has her problems especially about how she doesn’t want DM to wake her by not being there or by being there and not making noise or by being there and making noise!! No wonder he is confused.

I found the episode good but disturbing. I won’t be buying the DVD of s6. Call me Pollyanna but it’s not the short of trauma I need. I also don’t think there is anything in s6 that is profoundly new??? I think the end of s5 “I won’t be like my father” sort of covers it enough for me. I can see how DM needs to go through this soul searching to really, believably get over his upbringing, if this is really possible (Of course it is!! :D:D:D), but I would have preferred to see a little more humour and understanding on both LG’s and DM’s part to get them there. I love the babies, as usual. Gorgeous.

I think Penhale’s ok and for the sake of John Marquez’s fragile ego (believe me, all actors have fragile egos) I think we should really lighten up on the criticism of Penhale. He’s merely acting the part someone wrote and last episode covered for MC’s illness so bravo to him.

Chris Martin – the writer this episode – is new – although he also wrote e4 “Nobody likes Me”. I like how he writes AR. She’s really good here, supportive and encouraging but not controlling. She makes AL think about what he wants to do, she doesn’t tell him. I can see why DM includes her in “my family”.

cc.cookie, I think the fact that Louisa couldn't sleep either when he was up and wandering about the house, or just tossing and turning next to her, suggests how tuned in she is to him. It's hard to just turn over and go back to sleep when you realize that your partner is not doing well, and you don't know why or how to help him.

Insomnia is one of the hallmarks of depression (not everyone who suffers from insomnia, is depressed, of course). He looks like someone in an episode of depression -- but also like someone struggling with an intense grief. Interestingly, there is some discussion in the run-up to the new DSM (diagnostic bible for mental health professionals) about how to sort out grief reactions from depression. It's far from clear.

Anyway, in either situation, the partner often doesn't understand, or know how to help. It's just hard to live with someone in the grips of an episode like this, and there's not too much you can do when they've withdrawn (further) into themselves, except be supportive and encouraging as and if they let you.

And, c.c.cookie, I was just thinking this morning that I doubt that I will be re-watching this series. Don't quite know why I feel that way, though, and maybe it will change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    After her declaration in S2 Margaret sure had a nerve to ask forgiveness from Martin. He is really vulnerable tight now with the return of the blood phobia and depression/anxiety that is causing his insomnia and weight loss which he'll realize next week. Then she actually stood up, straightened his tie and touched him.]
    As his mother, she was almost teasing him as a woman. When she straightens DM's tie, her eyes are softened, more like a woman than a mother. Trying to get the very core of how a man ticks. She manipulates men to get her way.
    We see the side of her, not revealed in season 2.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Thank you for your kind words. I am not sure what I think. I am sort of stunned and anxious about the next episode and so very sorry for DM as a child and an adult.

Obviously DM never mentioned his parents to LG. At least she got the drift when his mother said “he cried himself to sleep – eventually.” Chilling. Not controlled crying – neglect.

Yes LG is insecure and who wouldn’t be when DM is a complete enigma and won’t talk to her. But to be fair to DM she has her problems especially about how she doesn’t want DM to wake her by not being there or by being there and not making noise or by being there and making noise!! No wonder he is confused.

I found the episode good but disturbing. I won’t be buying the DVD of s6. Call me Pollyanna but it’s not the short of trauma I need. I also don’t think there is anything in s6 that is profoundly new??? I think the end of s5 “I won’t be like my father” sort of covers it enough for me. I can see how DM needs to go through this soul searching to really, believably get over his upbringing, if this is really possible (Of course it is!! :D:D:D), but I would have preferred to see a little more humour and understanding on both LG’s and DM’s part to get them there. I love the babies, as usual. Gorgeous.

I think Penhale’s ok and for the sake of John Marquez’s fragile ego (believe me, all actors have fragile egos) I think we should really lighten up on the criticism of Penhale. He’s merely acting the part someone wrote and last episode covered for MC’s illness so bravo to him.

Chris Martin – the writer this episode – is new – although he also wrote e4 “Nobody likes Me”. I like how he writes AR. She’s really good here, supportive and encouraging but not controlling. She makes AL think about what he wants to do, she doesn’t tell him. I can see why DM includes her in “my family”.

Interesting thoughts. I agree that this series includes trauma and is, at some points, is disturbing.

I have to say, however, that I see some "profoundly new" directions. In fact, these changes are part of what makes this series disturbing. We've gradually watched Martin's issues deepen, become more severe. In the past he was able to contain his defects, or at least keep them somewhat under control.

Now it's all out of control. He's vomited in public, witnessed by assorted villagers, include the pack of girls, and the news has spread all over town. Whatever is wrong with him, whatever it is that causes the blood problem, also now is affecting his sleep. We know what sleep deprivation can do.

And now, to top it all off, all of Martin's deep-seated problems are there on the screen, personified by Margaret Ellingham. Claire Bloom is brilliant! This character sends chills down my spine.

I can understand how some may find this series too dark, with a dearth of comedic moments, and I agree that it has changed, but there is forward progress this time. Everything is headed toward a breakthrough. I'm on the edge of my seat.
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a better episode for sure but still left me a little confused at times in the four main episode areas.

The Breakdown:
    Many people are writing about Martin "getting worse" but to me I don't see us really being shown that. Sure, he vomited in public, but he had already vomited at the sight of blood in his office. It's not worse when he does it in public, it's just public knowledge now. If DM is really not sleeping hardly at all during the night, we'd expect to see him drowsy during the day, dependent on caffeine, with less energy, perhaps napping by mistake here and there; that is, breaking down. But, DM is fine. He's super energetic--when Morwenna rides her bike to Mike's DM runs there; he runs to Penhale, etc. We see ZERO effects of lack of sleep on him, except perhaps he is grumpier with patients. On the other hand, Mike is a recurrent hypochondriac and that would realistically make DM, or any physician, impatient with him. So, I don't really see in the writing that DM is "getting worse". Having him close his eyes at the crib is hardly an indictment of his nervous condition, and anyway, we've seen those looks before at his desk at night. I would have loved to have more clearly seen the effects of lack of sleep and how it was wearing him down.

Also, why is DM not taking something to sleep, as he would give to a patient? Not even a Benadryl?

The Medical Condition (causing another PW villager to collapse, of course!): :)
    The medical condition was essentially the same disease as the postal worker, Mickey and Bert got when they breathed in aspergillosis spores from the spooky old bat sister's antibiotic production in the basement.

James Henry:
    Is our beloved son developmentally backwards? At nine months old he should be crawling, standing up, saying mama, dada, no, etc. This child is just constantly carried around and put in chairs in the kitchen!

LG:
    I too was confused too by LG not accepting DM's immediately and clear statements that she was not the fault of his blood phobia. Her reaction reminded me of her standing at the castle with DM looming over her, that kind of reversion to the child-woman, who needs to be assured she will not be abandoned. But, their communication was good and enjoyable overall in this episode; so refreshing to not see them argue!

Margaret:
    Well, she is a sick woman; a despicable, manipulative, nasty woman, isn't she? DM and I think on some level LG both know she is manipulating them. She cannot stop the lifelong criticism of DM when the plate drops, and yet tries to cover it with a fake bonding of JH. DM sees through her, all the way, and I liked his forthright statement that he has a family without her. Yet, there is that very small part of him which has always wanted to be loved by his mom, and although Aunt Ruth fits that role on an equal, intellectual level (and a hidden love as seen in that shared hug), its understandable DM still wants love from his mother. But, I'm glad for DM that he remembers how horrid she is, and remembers THAT monologue, and has his protective walls up against her. He knows she wants something, but she is a pathetic enough human being to use fake love to her desperate son to get what she wants.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone remind me of the scene wherein we are told that JH is now 9 months old? Is it when he is being introduced to Margaret?

I agree with Mona -- he would be sitting up on his own, trying to crawl, rolling over (why did they leave him on that bed, even for a second?) and maybe even cruising, in preparation for walking. But maybe babies in filming are even less controllable when they are mobile, so they didn't want to tempt fate.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Louisa is polite to Margaret because she doesn't want to rock the boat. She clues in when Margaret comments that DM is still a GP. She knows what that means and Martin's journey regarding that issue. I liked her line "I didn't know there were sides". She sees that Margaret is trying to put a wedge between her and Martin. Sometimes society dictates that we have to be polite even when we don't want to be. She took her baby with her rather than leave him in the kitchen with Margaret. Boy is Louisa glad to see Mike walk in!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    I did enjoy this episode. I do have (at least) one question. In the scene where they are talking, before Margaret knocks on the door, Louisa is trying to find out what he's bothered about. She's probably right about the space being too small for them, but he blows that off. When the asks him if it's her, he denies it, and she says that his denial isn't very convincing.

I suppose how one perceives that depends somewhat on how one perceives the relationship as a whole, but I thought he was sincere in this, and that to this point, he doesn't see her as the problem that's keeping him up at night and making him so melancholy. I'm thinking that it is maybe Louisa's insecurity talking. And I wonder what anyone else thinks about that.

Also, a general comment. He seems quite distant, and neither affectionate -- at all -- nor communicative. OK,OK, I know, he's never been a star at showing affection or communicating, but it seems like Louisa has to do all the work in that direction that is to be done.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he pretended to be asleep if she tried to move over to his side of the bed, the mood he's in now.

Loved his tightly controlled rage at his mother in the last scene. Also, the scene where he stood over the baby's crib was very moving. He must have been thinking about his own childhood as compared to what they are giving this child.

I agree Louisa's insecurities are shining through in this episode, and worry Margaret (the mother from hell) will play this to her advantage. The woman is a master manipulator and will do anything to get what she wants, in this case a rapprochement with her son, which really translates into her needing a place to live. I bet her financial situation is as dire as ever.

I cannot wait to see what happens between Ruth and Margaret. There's sewage filled water under the bridge between these two, mark my words.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can someone remind me of the scene wherein we are told that JH is now 9 months old? Is it when he is being introduced to Margaret?

I agree with Mona -- he would be sitting up on his own, trying to crawl, rolling over (why did they leave him on that bed, even for a second?) and maybe even cruising, in preparation for walking. But maybe babies in filming are even less controllable when they are mobile, so they didn't want to tempt fate.

Maybe he is just backward. :confused::confused::confused::):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Maybe he is just backward. :confused::confused::confused::):)

Come on folks- you can't have a nine month old baby crawling around wires and scalding hot lights on a tv set. Glad to see production using common sense on this one.
  • Options
    BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    With this episode I feel like Doc Martin with his blood phobia. I thought I was kicking my Doc Martin addiction as the first five episodes were not compelling for me. Episode six re-kindled my love of the Doc Martin story and my addiction is back. May iDoc Martin continue in this vein for many seasons.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperchase wrote: »
    .As his mother, she was almost teasing him as a woman. When she straightens DM's tie, her eyes are softened, more like a woman than a mother. Trying to get the very core of how a man ticks. She manipulates men to get her way.

And not many 82 year old women have that sort of effect on men! She's amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Cornish babies..... don't need more than one take. ;)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Loved tonights episode, liked that Mr & Mrs E appeared (quite :rolleyes:) comfortable in each others company, loved the lovely babies - don't they just shine!!!, liked how he is very wary of his mother, liked the wee kiss at bedtime (must admit I did think there are a few more night time activities they could have tried that might have helped tire them out ;);) - maybe they've tried that already eh :p:).

Quite liked that Mrs T is back and as nutty as ever, not sure what they're going to do with Al, don't think they'll have him get together with another of the Docs receptionists :o:p. Not sure of the Bert/Jennifer relationship (does everyone in PW propose within a week (month - maybe)?

BUT, my wow moment was at the beginning to see the Doc jacketless (that's not even a word!!!)

I loved it too, RubyRedi, but then I've been enjoying the eps all along. This one was extra special though.

Jacketless isn't a word? I've already used it. We'll add it to our own dictionary. Yes, I was glued to the screen throughout the jacketless and tie-less scene. It was such a nice moment of domesticity. It also illustrated just how cramped they are in that little house. I was glad Louisa later asked Martin if the small house was a problem (he said no, I say yes).

I liked the tension and suspense I felt in this episode, especially after Mummy showed up. Creepy!

You know I completely agree with you that there's something Louisa & Martin could have done that would have worked better than lavender oil or a sleep mask or a magazine. :)

As for Al, it seems to me they're setting him up to finally move on in his life. I think we'll end up happy with how things turn out for him. Hope so, anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    I think "elegant" is a perfect way to describe this entire series. I, too, loved the proposal scene. It was perfectly acted. The entire program has been elevated several notches, and I am truly enjoying it.

Ian McNeice finally got another chance to show us more than the Bert goofiness. I loved it. Wonderful, very touching scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    After her declaration in S2 Margaret sure had a nerve to ask forgiveness from Martin. He is really vulnerable tight now with the return of the blood phobia and depression/anxiety that is causing his insomnia and weight loss which he'll realize next week. Then she actually stood up, straightened his tie and touched him. He didn't give in to her at that moment and actually defied her with the statement about HIS family but I could almost feel that somewhere in his heart and soul it would be like a dream for the little boy inside to have a mother who loved him, touched him and wanted to be with him. The subliminal emotion was raging there.....he did not really withdraw, which he probably should have done.

I'm afraid that Louisa is just being Louisa and I can't blame her. He is baffling but playing the word game....Is it me? Well you don't sound very convincing that it's not me? Is returning to her immature persona which she has managed up to now. She is going back to the behavior of talking without REALLY listening to the answer. This is just going to make things worse. I don't blame her.....I could probably do the same thing.

Episode was loaded...Claire Bloom was creepy. Can't wait til next week.

Well said. I completely agree. That bit about the raging subliminal emotions. You're so right that hidden inside him was a sad desire for a real mother who truly cares for him. There probably was a fight going on inside him. Can this be real? Can I trust her? Rationally, he knows he can't, but emotionally he wants to. Interesting that until he stood up to take JH from her, he sat so very still. Sort the way a person would behave if there were a rattlesnake a few feet away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RubyRedi wrote: »
    Loved tonights episode, liked that Mr & Mrs E appeared (quite :rolleyes:) comfortable in each others company, loved the lovely babies - don't they just shine!!!, liked how he is very wary of his mother, liked the wee kiss at bedtime (must admit I did think there are a few more night time activities they could have tried that might have helped tire them out ;);) - maybe they've tried that already eh :p:).

Actually, I wondered how his tie ended up where it was found:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperchase wrote: »
    As his mother, she was almost teasing him as a woman. When she straightens DM's tie, her eyes are softened, more like a woman than a mother. Trying to get the very core of how a man ticks. She manipulates men to get her way.

There was something pretty creepy about that; you're right. I think Margaret was acting, but she really has no clue how to even pretend to be a loving mother, so she got it wrong.

Claire Bloom was a brilliant actress portraying, in that scene, a woman who was a bad actress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suppose how one perceives that depends somewhat on how one perceives the relationship as a whole, but I thought he was sincere in this, and that to this point, he doesn't see her as the problem that's keeping him up at night and making him so melancholy. I'm thinking that it is maybe Louisa's insecurity talking. And I wonder what anyone else thinks about that.

I think it is partly her insecurity. However, I can understand her doubt. Here they are - newly-wed, childcare finally sorted, routine is settling in, and he is the most miserable she' s ever seen him! I think it'll be natural to make the connection to their relationship.
    Still, she didn't seem angry, which I thought was a bonus.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Martin, Louisa, and Cruella were in the kitchen and Louisa offered James's room. Cruella asked, "Will he mind?" (or something similar to that) and Louisa said, "He's nine months old."

Mona and NewPark, yes, you're right, that kid should at least be crawling around and pulling up, trying to stand, etc. I can accept this little problem, however, because I can imagine the chaos that could happen on the set if they let him "loose". It would be difficult to even keep him in the frame. So they just film him being held and pushed in the stroller and sitting in the high chair.
This discussion has been closed.