Options

Deodorant for Men

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 181
Forum Member
Can anyone recommend a good men's deodorant that actually works and smells both pleasant and manly?

There used to be a lot of choice but now all that seems readily available on the shelf is either cheap, nasty sports deodorants which start to smell rank as soon as you've applied it, or the expensive brands that are only available in "gift packs" with after-shave, etc.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deodorants tend to be crap and only mask smells, You need a decent antiperspirant.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Natural fruits such as lemons are best. Anti-perspirants muck your body up, cause cancer and do not allow you to purge your body of toxins.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Natural fruits such as lemons are best. Anti-perspirants muck your body up, cause cancer and do not allow you to purge your body of toxins.

Christ almighty, I'd not fancy rubbing a lemon on my armpits :eek:
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    baking soda + cornflour
  • Options
    paulsh1paulsh1 Posts: 2,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitchums is really good ,long lasting and smells fresh

http://www.boots.com/en/Mitchum-For-Men-Ice-Fresh-Endurance-Deodorant-200ml_923084/
    The roll on stuff is good as well
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use one of the crystal de-odourants - "Pit Rok", or similar. My current one is in a pink plastic holder, so presumably aimed at women, but as far as I know they are all the same and have no smell, so it doesn't really matter.

They are not cheap, but they last for ages,

but don't drop them as they are likely to shatter,

and don't put them on a marble worktop.

You can wet the crystal and rub it on your skin, or I prefer to wet the skin and rub the crystal onto the wet skin.
  • Options
    JustmadeitJustmadeit Posts: 7,512
    Forum Member
    go with the quality of an old spice spray ! the results are outstanding, outstanding i tell you:D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Dove!
  • Options
    LardnessLardness Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulsh1 wrote: »
    Mitchums is really good ,long lasting and smells fresh

http://www.boots.com/en/Mitchum-For-Men-Ice-Fresh-Endurance-Deodorant-200ml_923084/
    The roll on stuff is good as well

I second this. It actually works.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Mitchum is good as is L'Oreal Men Expert.
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maccam wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good men's deodorant that actually works and smells both pleasant and manly?

There used to be a lot of choice but now all that seems readily available on the shelf is either cheap, nasty sports deodorants which start to smell rank as soon as you've applied it, or the expensive brands that are only available in "gift packs" with after-shave, etc.

Any recommendations?

Hai Karate. I'm like Gene Hunt, not this new man Dreck.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sanex anti-perspirant is ok, doesn't irritate skin either.
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Sainsbury's own brand. Best deodorant Ive ever use and only about a £1. Leaves no marks whatsoever and I never ever feel any sweat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the Dove range. Smell nice and fresh and clean smelling.
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    I buy Tesco's own make, think it's £2 and works really well. Any other now gives me a rash under my armpits.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sure maximum protection for men it works...however it does stain clothes though
    but then if you really sweat use odaban or perspirex at night times a few times a week and then apply normal deoderant
  • Options
    lovedoctor1978lovedoctor1978 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike_dunn wrote: »
    I buy Tesco's own make, think it's £2 and works really well. Any other now gives me a rash under my armpits.

Well played Tesco, well played.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like two of the three at Aldi (which are branded Lacura) - Alive and Calm. There's a third - Vivid - which I don't like so I just buy the other two and alternate between them. 89p for 250ml.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/health-beauty/lacura-mens-range/lacura-men-product-detail-page/ps/p/mens-anti-perspirant-deodorant/
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I like two of the three at Aldi (which are branded Lacura) - Alive and Calm. There's a third - Vivid - which I don't like so I just buy the other two and alternate between them. 89p for 250ml.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/product-range/health-beauty/lacura-mens-range/lacura-men-product-detail-page/ps/p/mens-anti-perspirant-deodorant/

I'll try those then. Thanks for the tip.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    My husband is allergic to most deodarants. It was really difficult for him until I discovered 'Salt of the earth' from Holland and Barrett. It's a natural crystal stuff - it's in stick form and you just wet the end of it. It's really effective, great for sensitive skin and odourless.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use unscented Mitchum for the wetness and Lynx for the smell :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my fears is smelling of BO and I absolutely swear by Right Guard Xtreme Invisible! It smells like talc and lasts at least two days (can says 72hrs but I wouldn't risk that)!
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use the Sure range.
  • Options
    Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dove gets brought a lot in my house.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

What a load of pseudo-science.:rolleyes:

I've found Clinique's stick anti-perspirant the most effective. Goes on dry, is unscented and really works.

If you're a DE wet shaver and have an alum block, you can apparently use that as an anti-perspirant as well.