Options

Idiot proof help setting up On Demand using BT

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
I have BT Infinity HH4 and Sky HD. The BT router is 7m from the Sky box and an Ethernet cable would run right across the middle of my lounge, so wouldn't like to leave it permanently connected.
I would like to access On Demand sometimes but haven't a clue how to set it up or then use it.
I'm not at all tech savvy so please keep any help really simple, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    try this

http://help.sky.com/tv/using-on-demand/set-up-on-demand

choose the option that applies to you,from these below,click on the appropriate one its a hyper link and will take you to the instructions that apply

Wireless Connector MINI

Sky+HD box with Wi-Fi

Wired
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you. Wireless connector looks the best option if it works. Suppose have to buy one from Sky though?
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got mine from Sky , quick and easy to set up,sky were giving them away free recently

see this link

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/on-demand-connector/?refererIs=skyid&ExistingCustomer=true&returnToAuthFilter=true

look for the free offer on the RH side

Other posters will offer alternatives to the Sky option
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got mine from Sky , quick and easy to set up,sky were giving them away free recently

see this link

http://www.sky.com/shop/tv/on-demand-connector/?refererIs=skyid&ExistingCustomer=true&returnToAuthFilter=true

look for the free offer on the RH side

Other posters will offer alternatives to the Sky option

thanks! I've requested my free one, subject to availability in 3 months though. If I miss out, £22 seems quite a lot for a wifi connector so may have to try the ethernet version
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    thanks! I've requested my free one, subject to availability in 3 months though. If I miss out, £22 seems quite a lot for a wifi connector so may have to try the ethernet version
    Personally I'd just buy a long Ethernet cable and run it around the edge of the room anyway.
    You won't have any problem with wi-fi I'm sure if the router and the Sky box are in the same room, but you'll still never get a faster and more reliable connection than with a cable.
    :)
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Personally I'd just buy a long Ethernet cable and run it around the edge of the room anyway.
    Ditto this.

And the other advantage of cable is it is a hell of a lot cheaper :)

CAT5 is good for 100m so that would be one spacious living room if you needed a cable longer than that :D
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You should get better connection through a cable and no disconnecting issues that some find with wireless.

You could also try homeplugs.
  • Options
    acfacf Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Yup homeplugs are brilliant and a great solution for this.