Options

The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Omg another cry baby. All these progs are spoilt by people unable to control their emotions in public.

She didn't spoil it for me! If you're an emotional person that's just how you are. And it was the semi-final. The disappointment must have been massive.

I really like Frances but have a feeling Kimberley will win. I don't think Ruby deserves to as too many of her bakes have been a bit messy.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be happy for either of Frances or Kimberly to win.

Both very talented, and great girls.

Ruby though, no.

I agree , Frances or Kimberly for me too , both talented and bring such lovely bakes to the table .
    Ruby is to haphazard and untidy and sloppy for me. I will say no more .

I loved Beccas opereratic chat with Mel tonight , she is such fun to watch , I will miss her .
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruby was VERY lucky there
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I don't really think it is all about MeMeMe with Ruby. I honestly think she has a low self esteem and convinces herself that she is going everytime. To tell you the truth I would be the same, I would think that my cakes aren't good enough purely for the fact I have low self esteem and think the worst is going to happen.
    If Ruby's self esteem was that low, it would have prevented her from even applying for the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    If Ruby's self esteem was that low, it would have prevented her from even applying for the show.

It would have also prevented her from working as a model
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I call it VERY favoured:rolleyes:
  • Options
    JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Kimberley will win but I have championed Frances since week 1 and would love her to triumph :D
    If Ruby really had low self esteem she wouldn't have been a model, gone to University, applied for GBBO and had the tenacity to still be there. Methinks the minx protests too much ( sorry Bard :D )
  • Options
    mangobuttermangobutter Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 3 left are really good!! I would be happy for any to win, Kimberly or Ruby would be my pick, they have won star baker more than Frances, who I do not think has even won one?? Or has she????
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't comment on flavours and textures as the only reason why ruby should have gone. We didn't taste them. We didn't experience them.

You only think it's the wrong result because the one you're blinkered to hating everything about has stayed.

I like all 3, I like Kimberley the least but it's her edit, I love all her bakes (the only thing that matters) she makes me want to try new flavours that she uses, but I don't warm to her, she comes across in the edit as overly smug. Makes me no less happy if she wins than Frances, who I adore, now. She drove me mad at the start. I like ruby, she's naturally talented but she's messy and her reactions are what mine would be. I stress, I relate to her. I get why people are frustrated but the blind hate and calls for a fix are utterly ridiculous and a tad pathetic.

Personally for me it was the right result. Beca is so lovely but not in the league of the others.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not buying the little girl lost act anymore Becca should still be there to Baaaikkeee.
  • Options
    batesy2000batesy2000 Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Omg another cry baby. All these progs are spoilt by people unable to control their emotions in public.

It's called passion
  • Options
    sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked Becca - but it was the right decision for her to go tonight.
    She's just a bit too "pub grubby" and lacks any real sophistication or creativity with her flavours.

Ruby is clearly a bit of a defeatist - and it makes her hard to watch. Her baking is very hit & miss but she has a decent level of creativity with her flavour combinations.

Kimberly really has become the one to beat - but I love Frances' creativity.

It's still anyones for the taking.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're wrong. There are plenty of models who are patently utterly lacking in confidence at a personal level. And in academia I could take you meet a dozen people who are world experts in one particular field but barely functioning human beings outside of it.

People, as a rule, cannot be generalised about.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not true.

This is a quote from Cameron Russell who did a talk on TED:
    'If I have thinner thighs and shinier hair will I be happier?' you just need to meet a group of models because they have the thinnest thighs and the shiniest hair and the coolest clothes and they're the most physically insecure women on the planet."

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion-beauty/model-cameron-russell---models-are-the-most-physically-insecure-women-on-the-planet---183444067.html

Or this:
    Miranda Kerr: 'Models Are Some Of The Most Insecure People I've Ever Met'

Or this:
    Emma: 'Modelling left me so insecure'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-309854/Emma-Modelling-left-insecure.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the way Frances designs her cakes but sometimes the taste is lacking, her side tooth does annoy me slightly, that is my only gripe with her.

Now Kimberley, I like also, I would be happy if she won, Ruby is also up there, she reminds me of the mad professor from last year, her flavours all seem to work and she has won star baker which says a lot. Ideal top 3 for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I dont think she was. Lets be honest, in the first round Becca didnt help herself putting a bit of cheese in the middle of a macaroon, that isnt up to semi final standard.

Again in the final round she showed no understanding of flavour, using a banana overload, with banana essence.

Im sorry but i was really disappointed with Beccas choices, especially in the first round. Ruby made mistakes, but at least she thought about taste combinations, and flavours.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Can't comment on flavours and textures as the only reason why ruby should have gone. We didn't taste them. We didn't experience them.

You only think it's the wrong result because the one you're blinkered to hating everything about has stayed.

I like all 3, I like Kimberley the least but it's her edit, I love all her bakes (the only thing that matters) she makes me want to try new flavours that she uses, but I don't warm to her, she comes across in the edit as overly smug. Makes me no less happy if she wins than Frances, who I adore, now. She drove me mad at the start. I like ruby, she's naturally talented but she's messy and her reactions are what mine would be. I stress, I relate to her. I get why people are frustrated but the blind hate and calls for a fix are utterly ridiculous and a tad pathetic.

Personally for me it was the right result. Beca is so lovely but not in the league of the others.

I agree some of the bile aimed at Ruby is shocking.
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member

She was a model???? I had no idea. You'd think she wasn't comfortable in front of a camera. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mind becca but I think her palate was not refined enough for the finals, that thick slab of Stilton was a mistake and just to coarse.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Shame Ruby didn't get her marching orders :(
  • Options
    billiesmithbilliesmith Posts: 11,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personalities aside, I think it was the right result tonight. Beca just wasn't up to the same standard as the rest - the lump of stilton in the macaroon would have been awful, for example, but as Paul said, with just a little more work/imagination could have been delicious. Her banana opera cake sounded terrible even as she was describing it.

Look forward to the final and may the best woman win!
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have preferred to watch a Becca , Frances and Kimberly final .Simply to watch an upbeat and less stressy final would be nice .Becca brought real fun to the show
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personalities aside, I think it was the right result tonight. Beca just wasn't up to the same standard as the rest - the lump of stilton in the macaroon would have been awful, for example, but as Paul said, with just a little more work/imagination could have been delicious. Her banana opera cake sounded terrible even as she was describing it.

Look forward to the final and may the best woman win!

Agreed. When she said she was going to be adding banana flavouring I nearly barfed just at the thought of it.
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    batesy2000 wrote: »
    It's called passion

I think in Ruby's case it's less about passion and more about 'agenda'.
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »

For me, Ruby doesn't come close to Beca, or the other 2 for that matter.

As for the 'fix'..It does not matter what she does wrong, it is always backed up with a positive from the Judges. Hope Kimberley or Frances's win.