Options

The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    WLB wrote: »
    I dont think she was. Lets be honest, in the first round Becca didnt help herself putting a bit of cheese in the middle of a macaroon, that isnt up to semi final standard.

Again in the final round she showed no understanding of flavour, using a banana overload, with banana essence.

Im sorry but i was really disappointed with Beccas choices, especially in the first round. Ruby made mistakes, but at least she thought about taste combinations, and flavours.

I agree totally, even the description of her bakes sounded poor this week, so it was always going to be a struggle to turn it into something that tasted nice.

And while everyone has had a bad week so far in terms of recipe choices, this really wasn't the right time for Beca to have hers!
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Becca was the correct choice to go. Tbh i think she got through by the skin of her teeth most weeks, she was always low down and never really had a stand out week (an occasional good bake but nothing more)

All three of the finalists have proven themselves to be very good in one or two weeks.

You have:

Ruby - Very good with bread and flavour but just bit scrappy with her presentation at times.

Kimberly - Adventurous bakes but sometimes tries to be too clever and comes a bit unstuck, but probably just about the best all rounder.

Francis - Great at presentation but can get her flavours wrong, however she has probably shown the biggest improvement over the course of the programme.

I think any of the three could win and it will probably be quite close.

I would personally like Ruby to win but i think Kimberly is probably the most likely winner.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if I was after a cake that was at least partly for show - a wedding or birthday cake, say - I'd want Frances to make it. If it was for a non-occasion but someone I'd want to impress - say taking a date for lunch somewhere posh - I'd want Kim to make it. And if I just wanted some brownies that looked a bit rustic but tasted spectacular, I'd want Ruby to make them.

That's the best summary I can think of the finalists. I actually want Frances to win.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I think in Ruby's case it's less about passion and more about 'agenda'.

I concur.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm worried for Kimberley after seeing the preview for next week!
  • Options
    InigoMontoyaInigoMontoya Posts: 1,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    People, as a rule, cannot be generalised about.
    I agree. What one can legitimately do, however, is make observations about a person based on what that person says and does. In the context of her baking ability, we know she applied/agreed to be on the programme and we know that she is constantly evincing the need to be reassured. One is entitled to question whether the latter is wholly genuine when set against the former.

I don't hate Ruby although I find her "Woe is me" routine wearing. I do, based on trust of Mary and Paul, think that of all of them, what she produces are the tastiest to actually eat and if the judges were consistent in prioritizing that above appearance, I'd have no complaint about her winning.
  • Options
    Slow_LorisSlow_Loris Posts: 24,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, Ruby doesn't come close to Beca, or the other 2 for that matter.

As for the 'fix'..It does not matter what she does wrong, it is always backed up with a positive from the Judges. Hope Kimberley or Frances's win.

Can you give an example of when Becca had a stand out series of bakes? Or really any one of her bakes that were absolutely stand out above anyone elses?

For (her perceived by some) faults Ruby is extremely good with bread, you can't deny that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    I think if I was after a cake that was at least partly for show - a wedding or birthday cake, say - I'd want Frances to make it. If it was for a non-occasion but someone I'd want to impress - say taking a date for lunch somewhere posh - I'd want Kim to make it. And if I just wanted some brownies that looked a bit rustic but tasted spectacular, I'd want Ruby to make them.

That's the best summary I can think of the finalists. I actually want Frances to win.

Well said :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief. She thought she was going to get booted in the semi final. She's barely more than a kid. She's not the first to cry on GBBO and she won't be the last.

Agenda? There's a thing Kimberley could tell you about called 'displacement'.
  • Options
    Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Libitina wrote: »
    I noticed that Ruby was the only one not applauding Kimberleys 1st place there.

i just watched it and she definately did applaud for just as long as everyone else.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm sorry, but I think this statement is total bobbins.

What 'agenda'?

Apparently according to some FMs on here, when Becca cries it is because she is delightful and passionate and 'wears her heart on her sleeve', but when Ruby cries it it's because she is devious and manipulative and has an 'agenda'.

People appear to be letting their own personal dislikes colour everything they see.

They both cry when they are overcome with emotion because the competition means a lot to them and it is pretty stressful to take part in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me, Ruby doesn't come close to Beca, or the other 2 for that matter.

As for the 'fix'..It does not matter what she does wrong, it is always backed up with a positive from the Judges. Hope Kimberley or Frances's win.

Ruby made complex canapés, jellies, etc. Becca had macaroons with a slab of cheese. Hardly more skills. Last week ruby tempered dairy free chocolate (hard work) and showed lots of technical processes (why she won SB). She's just as talented as the other 2.

Are the judges not allowed to give Ruby any praise purely because it's her? Seemed to me like they thought it looked bad but tasted very good. Now I can't taste it so I defer it the judges. Maybe we watched a different show.
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    Good grief. She thought she was going to get booted in the semi final. She's barely more than a kid. She's not the first to cry on GBBO and she won't be the last.

Agenda? There's a thing Kimberley could tell you about called 'displacement'.

Whoa! It's only an opinion. As for 'displacement' ... know thyself??? ;)
  • Options
    toyboysmumtoyboysmum Posts: 1,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good evening, I'm normally on the Strictly pages but have ventured over here!! Is there a spoiler thread for GBBO, so disappointed with this evenings result I think Ruby will possibly win it :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh it's not worth it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MACTOWIN wrote: »
    I agree some of the bile aimed at Ruby is shocking.

It made me angry enough to stop posting here. Now I just think it's utterly pathetic. It's a baking competition. We all have more important things to get wound up over. The haters just look for any reason to gave a go, it's disgusting Paul has had to make a statement about not fancying ruby. It's just completely pathetic.
  • Options
    elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the right person went (sadly,as I liked Becca).

On Ruby: I do know what people mean.. I do think she gets less 'severe' criticism for comparable bakes than some of the others: I'm not sure that's necessarily down to favouritism, maybe a natural reaction to someone who doesn't appear to have much self-confidence in their abilities.

I hope Frances wins out of the remaining 3.
  • Options
    P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first started watching this year Frances used to annoy me but as the series has gone on I've realised that she is nowhere as arrogant as I first thought (in fact she isn't arrogant at all) and that she's sort of in her own world when she bakes. :D A deserving finalist IMO.

Sad to see Beca go even though I think it was the right decision. I thought she was easy to warm to and could be quite funny at times along with Glenn.

I would be happy with any of the finalists winning now as all three deserve to be there. :)
  • Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »

What 'agenda'?

Apparently according to some FMs on here, when Becca cries it is because she is delightful and passionate and 'wears her heart on her sleeve', but when Ruby cries it it's because she is devious and manipulative and has an 'agenda'.

People appear to be letting their own personal dislikes colour everything they see.

They both cry when they are overcome with emotion because the competition means a lot to them and it is pretty stressful to take part in.

Ruby has turned sulkiness [:(] and 'faux' self deprecation [:o] into an art form. I find her irritating. There. I said it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Completely agree.
  • Options
    CranberryappleCranberryapple Posts: 12,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    It made me angry enough to stop posting here. Now I just think it's utterly pathetic. It's a baking competition. We all have more important things to get wound up over. The haters just look for any reason to gave a go, it's disgusting Paul has had to make a statement about not fancying ruby. It's just completely pathetic.

Lol.. Read your post, then decide who is getting 'wound up'. :o

Posters with differing opinions to yours aren't automatically haters.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree I would love to say how I really feel but it is not worth a ban.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ruby has turned sulkiness [:(] and 'faux' self deprecation [:o] into an art form. I find her irritating. There. I said it.

You know it's "faux" because you know her personally then?
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elena wrote: »
    I think the right person went (sadly,as I liked Becca).

On Ruby: I do know what people mean.. I do think she gets less 'severe' criticism for comparable bakes than some of the others: I'm not sure that's necessarily down to favouritism, maybe a natural reaction to someone who doesn't appear to have much self-confidence in their abilities.

I hope Frances wins out of the remaining 3.

I think you may have hit the nail on the head there.
  • Options
    HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »

What 'agenda'?

I agree - why do people have to read so much crap into stuff that isn't there!! I think it's not inkeeping with the spirit of GBBO. It's a baking competition, it's nice and friendly and lovely and everyone gets on. It's not like Big Brother (or, now, The Apprentice) which is entered by people whose ambition is to appear in the Daily Mail's 'Sidebar of Shame'.

I absolutely agree. But please don't stop posting here. We need as many nice people with no axe to grind as we can get, to cancel out all those who will just bitch for no reason.