Options

The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    enfant_terribleenfant_terrible Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    You know it's "faux" because you know her personally then?

And you know it's not 'faux' because you know her personally?

We all make judgements about people we see on reality tv based on a lack of personal knowledge. Ruby's a grown up and frankly ... 'them's the breaks' if you decide to hand yourself over to the viewing public.

And commenting about people on tv we've never met and are never likely to meet is the life blood of DS tbh. :D
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    only getting through cos she's nobbing the judge, said judge is giving her full recipes for the technical bakes. That's hateful to me.

And you're right. I'm back off the boards. Thanks!!!!

I've certainly not seen anyone say anything like that on here.
    And if they did it was a very isolated case which you should be able to ignore, especially if no-one agreed or backed the person up.
  • Options
    john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby's opera cake looked lsighlty messier (though pretty much the same as Becca's IMO) but the flavours obviously worked the best out of all 4. tbh none of them did very well in that round.

As Paul said, if he had to choose which opera cake he ate it would be Ruby's.

Everyone would always choose something that tastes great and looks bad over something that looks great but tastes bad.

I imagine when the crew descended upon the cakes after filming was finished it was Ruby's cake that was finished first.;)
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad beca went, I think she has survived every week by the skin of her teeth!
  • Options
    BigearsBigears Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the girl in the Pudesy advert mixing a cake the Junior Bake Off winner from a couple of years ago?

Does this mean we will have a Children In Need Junior Bake Off?
  • Options
    PoppylenaPoppylena Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Frances does have a vegetable fixation, doesn't she. :)

Or a nature fixation anyway.

I bet she makes fantastic children's party food. I know she designs children's clothes but I really think she should set up her own children's party catering business.
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You showed examples of one of the three quoted by that poster. I notice your reply to my post bolding the other two three was a LOT less specific.

Because there are hundreds of pages and i do not remember the name of every FM who posted something that stuck in my memory. i know the 'punchable face' poster because the repeated negative posts got so irritating that i put them on ignore for a while.

I'm really not inclined to trawl back through several hundred pages to see who it was that insinuated Ruby was getting preferential treatment in the technical bake or who suggested she was having a thing with PH.

I do recall that the technical bake was in pastry week because they were making that weird French plaited thing with a name i cannot recall.

So - you can choose to believe me or not. I'm just confirming that i have read unpleasant jibes and insinuations in this year's GBBO thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    No it isn't another site, it is this thread. (Part 1)

A DS FM posted that Ruby had the most punchable face and see my previous post for reference to the other comments.

That was me ( in full flow during watching the programme)
    And it was five weeks ago for goodness sake.
    I duly considered the many reproachful comments that remark received and haven't said anything like that since, yet people are still banging on and on about it.

It shows I think how obsessed some people are with taking any crit of Ruby in an intensely personal way, and as dome said trying to police the thread using stuff said ages ago.
  • Options
    Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like ruby to win instead of Frances because Ruby has won top baker and I don't think Frances has, surely the best baker must win that.

Frances has won once, 2 weeks ago now I think?
    Carrots. Lots and lots of carrots. Hidden ones. Cake ones. Pastry ones.

My husband is convinced Frances will bake a live squirrel into her final showstopper cake lol. With lots of little sugarspun squirrels scampering up the side. :p
    Yes - thinking back no one got the perfect combination of looks and flavour, did they?

No they didn't, it was a poor round all in really. Kim's was the one whose flavours I thought sounded nicest but I didn't like the look, it was a major error on her part putting that slice of chocolate on top - she should have known it would make it really hard to cut.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poppylena wrote: »
    Frances does have a vegetable fixation, doesn't she. :)

Or a nature fixation anyway.

I bet she makes fantastic children's party food. I know she designs children's clothes but I really think she should set up her own children's party catering business.

She does like her veg :):D

I couldn't warm to her at first but a few weeks in I suddenly 'got' her. Would love if she won.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    Because there are hundreds of pages and i do not remember the name of every FM who posted something that stuck in my memory. i know the 'punchable face' poster because the repeated negative posts got so irritating that i put them on ignore for a while.

I'm really not inclined to trawl back through several hundred pages to see who it was that insinuated Ruby was getting preferential treatment in the technical bake or who suggested she was having a thing with PH.

I do recall that the technical bake was in pastry week because they were making that weird French plaited thing with a name i cannot recall.

So - you can choose to believe me or not. I'm just confirming that i have read unpleasant jibes and insinuations in this year's GBBO thread.

That was a retreat that was Almost an apology? Thank you :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frances: like a couple of people on here, to me she came over slightly stuck up, my opinion of her has completely changed for the better.

Ruby: I can see what people mean with always being on such a downer, but i believe thats just her, and not an act. Just saw this

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/15/the-great-british-bake-offs-ruby-tandoh-i-shout-at-myself-on-the-tv-4147577/

Kimberley is the one im just not so sure about. She always just seems so pleased with herself, and if she gets any negative comments just seems so shocked, but then again it could be editing.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    I want Frances to win. I liked her from the start, she's enthusiastic and tries to experiment with the look of the bakes, not always getting the taste right but she's learnt in the process. Taken lots of criticism from Paul and Mary but always with a smile, I think she's taken more than her share but in good spirit.
  • Options
    mangobuttermangobutter Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frances has won once, 2 weeks ago now I think?

My husband is convinced Frances will bake a live squirrel into her final showstopper cake lol. With lots of little sugarspun squirrels scampering up the side. :p

No they didn't, it was a poor round all in really. Kim's was the one whose flavours I thought sounded nicest but I didn't like the look, it was a major error on her part putting that slice of chocolate on top - she should have known it would make it really hard to cut.
    Thank goodness Frances has own star baker!! I don't mind her winning now then!! Your husband is funny ref the squirrels :D
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    That was me ( in full flow during watching the programme)
    And it was five weeks ago for goodness sake.
    I duly considered the many reproachful comments that remark received and haven't said anything like that since, yet people are still banging on and on about it.

It shows I think how obsessed some people are with taking any crit of Ruby in an intensely personal way, and as dome said trying to police the thread using stuff said ages ago.

This is all true and if anything us deterring from the nature if this thread it is the constant defence of ruby and the policeman like attitude of some posters. I await a certain poster with the initials SI to barge in and tell us we are all wrong to be posting or even having thoughts about not liking Ruby. It's gone mad in here. And most of all those who are saying the thread was different last year are playing naïveté as people were able to discuss freely about their likes and dislikes and people just got on with it. That was what was different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks Kim is a bit smug...? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jonbwfc wrote: »
    I have to stick up for WelshLad a bit. He got some stick for it but since then he's posted some good stuff without actually changing his opinion as far as I can see. Just one of those things you say and get in trouble with because you don't know the people you're talking to that well.

Some things are a bit too near the knuckle to make jokes about unless you're sure of who you're talking to. There's a middle ground to walk.

Yes, fair comment.

I've never met anyone before who actually thought the phrase 'X has a punchable face' meant you wanted the person to be punched in the face! It's hyperbole like 'I died laughing'.
    However it did upset many people so I took that into consideration.

Thanks for being reasonable :)
  • Options
    SaturnSaturn Posts: 18,971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I hate when she claps herself.
  • Options
    FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish to make it clear that I do not hate Ruby. Why would I hate Ruby if I don't know her personally? By the way, I think hate is too strong a word on how I feel towards her at present.

At first I felt quite indifferently towards her & other contestants as usual because like the others have said, to me it's just a baking competition.

But having seen how she reacted to the judges and in other one-person interviews from the last 2 episodes, I began to find her woebegone facial expressions & being sounding so whiny quite irritating and put me off Ruby. In tonight's show, she broke down in tears before the judges during the send-off was an example of manipulation influencing the judges to give her the easy ride towards the final like she has done several times.

I must say that Ruby is a smart cookie and certainly knows how to get her way by using her facial emotions on show in front of the judges.

Paul & Mary could have been more vocal towards Ruby in their recent criticisms like they treated her fellow contestants but to my constant disappointment, they kept overlooking her faults (some of her cake displays didn't look good) by giving her gentle praises about the flavours in her cakes & pasteries instead. For the first time, Paul & Mary are going down in my estimation the way they handled Ruby on the present show so they will have to be more mindful on how they treat the future contestants for next year's GBBO show, judging by the negative criticism here & in other media towards them as well as Ruby.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't find kim smug at all.
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,114
    Forum Member
    WLB wrote: »
    Frances: like a couple of people on here, to me she came over slightly stuck up, my opinion of her has completely changed for the better.

Ruby: I can see what people mean with always being on such a downer, but i believe thats just her, and not an act. Just saw this

http://metro.co.uk/2013/10/15/the-great-british-bake-offs-ruby-tandoh-i-shout-at-myself-on-the-tv-4147577/

Kimberley is the one im just not so sure about. She always just seems so pleased with herself, and if she gets any negative comments just seems so shocked, but then again it could be editing.

I don't think Kimberley takes criticism too well, it doesn't look like she expects to be criticised. I've noticed her face harden (her eyes especially) when the judges have been critical. You can notice because her smile is so beaming and then it changes abruptly :D she's probably just very confident in her abilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think she's just assured and no-nonsense really.
    If she thinks she can do something, has practised and prepared, she sees no obstacles in being able to do exactly what she needs to do, with no false modesty.

I find it pretty sexy in a person :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a bit like ummm, no more slating ruby is allowed, people are noticing let's move onto kim, how predictable...
  • Options
    Mrs FinkelsteinMrs Finkelstein Posts: 950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    I wish to make it clear that I do not hate Ruby. Why would I hate Ruby if I don't know her personally? By the way, I think hate is too strong a word on how I feel towards her at present.

At first I felt quite indifferently towards her & other contestants as usual because like the others have said, to me it's just a baking competition.

But having seen how she reacted to the judges and in other one-person interviews from the last 2 episodes, I began to find her woebegone facial expressions & being sounding so whiny quite irritating and put me off Ruby. In tonight's show, she broke down in tears before the judges during the send-off was an example of manipulation influencing the judges to give her the easy ride towards the final like she has done several times.

I must say that Ruby is a smart cookie and certainly knows how to get her way by using her facial emotions on show in front of the judges.

Paul & Mary could have been more vocal towards Ruby in their recent criticisms like they treated her fellow contestants but to my constant disappointment, they kept overlooking her faults (some of her cake displays didn't look good) by giving her gentle praises about the flavours in her cakes & pasteries instead. For the first time, Paul & Mary are going down in my estimation the way they handled Ruby on the present show so they will have to be more mindful on how they treat the future contestants for next year's GBBO show, judging by the negative criticism here & in other media towards them as well as Ruby.

Ruby isn't the first contestant to sit in tears waiting to hear who's leaving though, and she won't be the last. The judges have made their decision, they're not going to change it at that point!

Paul and Mary have treated the contestants pretty much the same in all of the shows. I just find it laughable all the conspiracy theories here!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a bit like ummm, no more slating ruby is allowed, people are noticing let's move onto kim, how predictable...

Are they? I can't see people 'moving onto' Kim. Some people (not me) have always found her smug I guess.