Options

Israel v Northern Ireland

davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,770
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is this match been shown anyway. I've looked at the EPG, Irish FA website and the web but it appears to be ignored complelty. I know NI can't progress but thought fans would have like to have seen it.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    Yea, it is a shame, I know we are rubbish, but it would still be nice to see given it kicks off at 6pm and doesn't clash with any other home nations game.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointed it wasn`t on somewhere, being a World Cup match and everything.
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    It's a disgrace but no real surprise, pretty sure it's not the first time it has happened. Btw according to the BBC Sky had the rights to show it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-24543128
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Its a disgrace that if Sky do own the rights yet didn't screen it. Not acceptable at all.
    If they weren't interested in showing it, sell them on to a broadcaster that would have shown it and by the noise the BBC are making, they'd have shown it
  • Options
    The WandererThe Wanderer Posts: 5,238
    Forum Member
    A shame it wasn't on a conventional channel, it was streamed live on YouTube though
  • Options
    Phoenix04Phoenix04 Posts: 971
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youtube coverage wasn't available in the UK due to Sky having the rights (even though they decided not to show it)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brief highlights were shown on BBC NI Newsline last night but pictures did not appear to be from proper OB coverage.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Its a disgrace that if Sky do own the rights yet didn't screen it. Not acceptable at all.
    If they weren't interested in showing it, sell them on to a broadcaster that would have shown it and by the noise the BBC are making, they'd have shown it

I don't know why they wouldn't be interested in showing it, though, given they showed the Azerbaijan game on Friday which hardly had any more riding on it and was probably in an even worse timeslot. Given they didn't start the coverage of the Wales match until 7.55 it would have been easy for them to have shown it before that. So this is a bit of a mystery.

Sky Sports are a terribly unaccountable broadcaster, though, they never seem to respond to criticism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I emailed Sky and asked them about this match in light of the BBC report. In fairness they have already responded saying they only have rights to the home fixtures and not the away fixtures (note the plural). Strange that the don't have rights to away fixtures given that I believe they showed all the other NI away fixtures in this campaign
  • Options
    PamthehoundPamthehound Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Speaking as a Belfast born and bred guy the NI Football team are a Fkeckin joke. I am always embarassed at their attempts to talk up how good they are ....and their fans, my fellow countrymen are also an embarassment , even the most educated of them really believe that the NI team are better than Brazil.......jokers to the left of me , jokers to the right .

Supporting NI is a waste of energy and one would be better of doing something more constructive with your time and money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Speaking as a Belfast born and bred guy the NI Football team are a Fkeckin joke. I am always embarassed at their attempts to talk up how good they are ....and their fans, my fellow countrymen are also an embarassment , even the most educated of them really believe that the NI team are better than Brazil.......jokers to the left of me , jokers to the right .

Supporting NI is a waste of energy and one would be better of doing something more constructive with your time and money.

Let me start with apologising to you for any embarrassment I and other Northern Ireland fans have caused you in the past. If certainly was not our intention. We probably presumed that being Belfast born and bred you would have understood the NI humour and realised that we were not being serious when everyone of us stated that we were better than Brazil.

With regards to supporting NI being a waste of energy, you are entitled to your opinion but in international football you don't really have a choice of who to support without looking like some sort of glory hunter

Anyhow .... even though I have responded I'm not sure what relevance any of this has to the thread in hand.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have the rights to NI away games but not ROI away games. Whoever sent that reply didn't know which team they were talking about.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It surely would not be beyond FIFA's grasp to set a requirement that broadcasters who hold sporting rights have to offer resale rights to a match if they do not intend to broadcast it themselves.
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    It surely would not be beyond FIFA's grasp to set a requirement that broadcasters who hold sporting rights have to offer resale rights to a match if they do not intend to broadcast it themselves.
    It sounds from reading the BBC article that Sky wasn't aware it had match rights as it had bought them along with others in a job lot from Sport 5.
    BBC News Sky Sports said it did not have the rights to broadcast the game live. However, the BBC believes the rights to the game were sold by the Israeli Football Association to Sport 5 - an independent company that acts as an intermediary to sell on rights and that Sky Sports bought up those rights in a bundle.

If the match is not broadcast then I feel it should be on that YouTube channel but obviously that creates more work for FIFA to check each match is being broadcast. To me, this situation sounds like a one-off mess-up by Sky.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well at least with the new centralised deals, things like this should be a thing of the past from the next campaign onwards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 371
    Forum Member

Sorry to hear you feel that way. During the Billy Bingham era NI certainly did well in the 1980s. And more recently, under Lawrie Sanchez, NI topped the Euro table and beat England, Spain and Switzerland. There was even a book written about it, and if Sanchez hadn't gone to Fulham who knows what glories might have come.
  • Options
    irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know what pot NI will be seeded in for the next Euro draw? ... We (Ireland) will scrape into pot 2 all going well so we have a good chance of second in our group, it would be great to see the home nations - Ireland/N.Ireland in particular in qualifying together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ireland will be in Pot 2, unless Romania win both legs of their WC playoff. NI will be it Pot 5
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    It sounds from reading the BBC article that Sky wasn't aware it had match rights as it had bought them along with others in a job lot from Sport 5.

If the match is not broadcast then I feel it should be on that YouTube channel but obviously that creates more work for FIFA to check each match is being broadcast. To me, this situation sounds like a one-off mess-up by Sky.

I think it is incredibly unlikely that Sky had the rights without realising it.

Although the rights sold by various unions are in many cases bundled there have definitely been other occasions in the past when Sky has shown some away qualifiers for Wal/NI/ROI but not all of them.

Not all the unions bundle together or with the same agent.

The BBC may "believe" Sky had the rights but I doubt they can know for sure - short of the Israeli FA or the agency actually saying explicitly that Sky had the rights I don't see how anyone can know for sure.

Sky is running its own business - it will know what rights it holds and in the absence of any other info I can't see any basis for doubting Sky's statement that they didn't have the rights.

If the suspicion is that Sky knew they had the rights but didn't want to show the game then it begs the question as to why they showed the Azerbaijan game (as Steve said earlier).

It doesn't make any sense for them not to have shown it on cost grounds given that they show 11 non-British CL games every CL match round.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Nigel82 wrote: »
    Let me start with apologising to you for any embarrassment I and other Northern Ireland fans have caused you in the past. If certainly was not our intention. We probably presumed that being Belfast born and bred you would have understood the NI humour and realised that we were not being serious when everyone of us stated that we were better than Brazil.

With regards to supporting NI being a waste of energy, you are entitled to your opinion but in international football you don't really have a choice of who to support without looking like some sort of glory hunter

Anyhow .... even though I have responded I'm not sure what relevance any of this has to the thread in hand.

One of thé best replies i have ever read.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song never made reference to being better than Brazil, but simply to not being Brazil, which I don't think anyone can argue with. I do find it ironic though, that it's sung to the tune of Battle Hymn of the Republic :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    Ireland will be in Pot 2, unless Romania win both legs of their WC playoff. NI will be it Pot 5
    Yeah if we do get into pot 2 we have a good chance of qualifying, looks like McCarthy might be returning too which would be a great appointment.

Its very hard to see NI qualifying from pot 5 which is a pitty, would love for the two countries to be drawn together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Martin O'Neill still not favourite for the Ireland job? I think he'd do a far better job than McCarthy

As for NI, the lower the pot the better, considering they have more trouble with the little teams than the big teams lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phoenix04 wrote: »
    Is Martin O'Neill still not favourite for the Ireland job? I think he'd do a far better job than McCarthy

As for NI, the lower the pot the better, considering they have more trouble with the little teams than the big teams lol
    No Mick McCarthy the new favourite over the last few days, think it would be great to see him returning... O'Neill would be fine but he has been know for the long game too where as McCarthy had Ireland playing lovely football around 2002.

Ha it is amazing really that NI give most big teams a match but cant do anything at all against lower teams... I think they are suffering from that old Irish problem of loving being underdogs... The only thing that won't qualify you for tournaments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I look out for Ireland (family connection) and I'd rather see McCarthy back than Martin O'Neill, McCarthy's been there before, he has the international experience, and while O'Neill has had success elsewhere he seems to be a manager who needs to spend (can't do that at international level!) and I don't think he has adapted well to changes in top level football over the last few years. I think Sunderland would have stayed up even if he wasn't sacked due to their defence but they were still pretty dire