Options

Anyone else think they are pushing Dave Myers down our throats??

Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I get the fact Dave is popular but anyone else think BBC is desperate for him to be this years joke act. Zoe Ball and other guests cannot stop talking about how he "gives it his all" and a few guests on the show who should have been unbiased said they was him to win and he is their favorite (The female BBC fashion designer and someone else).

Personally I think Dave is a great personality for the show but does seem slightly like they are pushing for him to have a John Sergeant / Ann Widdecombe run on the show.

Comments

• Options
    isledanceisledance Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    I get the fact Dave is popular but anyone else think BBC is desperate for him to be this years joke act. Zoe Ball and other guests cannot stop talking about how he "gives it his all" and a few guests on the show who should have been unbiased said they was him to win and he is their favorite (The female BBC fashion designer and someone else).

Personally I think Dave is a great personality for the show but does seem slightly like they are pushing for him to have a John Sergeant / Ann Widdecombe run on the show.
    Of course they are the beeb think we all need this (type of act) and Dave,nice man that he is, fills that spot this year...........
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike the term 'People's Champion' - I find it quite presumptuous.

Since they've started referring to Dave as that, and he's been playing up to it more, I've started losing interest.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Since they've started referring to Dave as that, and he's been playing up to it more, I've started losing interest.

Yup, but I hope he tries a bit harder with his waltz. From the clip it appears he's trying. Public often warms to a trier, not a joker.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup, but I hope he tries a bit harder with his waltz. From the clip it appears he's trying. Public often warms to a trier, not a joker.

Yeye, I agree.

If Dave puts in a good effort for his Waltz I will support him more. As for the Peoples Champion title they have awarded him thats another thing that irritates me :mad:
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_XcX wrote: »
    Yeye, I agree.

If Dave puts in a good effort for his Waltz I will support him more. As for the Peoples Champion title they have awarded him thats another thing that irritates me :mad:

I have a feeling that Dave feels he has to be at least grateful of the title and therefore tries to act funny. People only warm to him when he's unintentionally funny in this kind of show, so he might have misjudged the situation.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said on another thread that I really like Dave but if he stays in at the expense of celebs who are improving, then the joke will wear thin for me. Given that he seems such nice man without any of the nasty arrogance that someone like Widdy had, I don't think he'd like that either. I feel bad for saying this but unless he improves dramatically, I hope Dave doesn't last more than a few weeks because I feel that someone like Mark has more to offer as he can actually dance and be funny.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    yes...a little bit...before the actual series started when he was on the One Show when they announced the celebs I thought he seemed really nice, I find him slightly annoying now and much prefer Mark Benton (if we're putting them on a similar scale) :)
  • Options
    tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel fairly well disposed towards Dave at the moment. He does seem to be enjoying himself immensely, has a good partnership with Karen and is likeable. However, he also does seem to be being turned into (or is turning himself into, or both) the comedy act that the public keep voting for long after their ability, or indeed entertainment value, warrants. If this happens (continues to happen?) I suspect I may lose tolerance quite quickly as that type of act operates on a principle of vastly diminishing returns.

Mark, on the other hand, has at least some ability, is producing actual dances and I really like him. Mind you, I love him as an actor too so I'm a bit biased ;).
  • Options
    bobajotbobajot Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only reason I've seen SCD this year - my daughter was visiting and she wanted to watch him. He was funny taking the micky out of the dance. An highlight in a show that's way past its 'sell by date'.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me too, I hate this dealing in cliches and taglines and making one contestant the joke figure . I find fun comes when it's least expected and it can be any of the contestants and not just one whose expected to deliver comedy every week .

I hope he does a decent waltz and it looks like Karen is taking it seriously .
  • Options
    KaeresteKaereste Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't work out last week whether he was trying to do the Paso well -and failing miserably - or if he was intentionally just making a joke of the dance. I hope the former but suspect the latter. If he is intentionally making a fool of the dance he will soon lose support. I love Dave, but I found the Paso tedious rather than entertaining and I hope he takes the waltz more seriously.
  • Options
    RocknRollaRocknRolla Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Kaereste wrote: »
    I couldn't work out last week whether he was trying to do the Paso well -and failing miserably - or if he was intentionally just making a joke of the dance. I hope the former but suspect the latter. If he is intentionally making a fool of the dance he will soon lose support. I love Dave, but I found the Paso tedious rather than entertaining and I hope he takes the waltz more seriously.

I thought his Paso was really entertaining, made me laugh a lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anything with 'people' or 'the nation' in front of it irritates me. It started with the 'People's Princess' and now we have things like ttthe 'Nations Sweetheart'. It is assumed we cant think for ourselves (which a lot of people cant I'm afraid) and every year we have a dancer like Dave. I think we'll have him for some time, because the usual thing happens - Craig has a go at him, Len says that's what strictly is all about, coming out and having fun, so unfortunately some silly people vote for him because of it.
  • Options
    Serenity.Serenity. Posts: 262
    Forum Member
    We have a comedy contestant every year and for the most part, I enjoy watching them although I don't fall for the whole 'people's champion' thing. When good dancers start getting voted out and the comedy ones stay in, that's when it starts not being funny anymore.
    I like Dave but he is going to have to prove he is actually learning to dance soon. He's not going to be able to rely on the comedy with a waltz, because that dance does not lend itself to clowning around. I really hope he can prove he's not a one- trick pony and actually produces a waltz which surprises us all.
  • Options
    multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    cj1234 wrote: »
    Anything with 'people' or 'the nation' in front of it irritates me. It started with the 'People's Princess' and now we have things like ttthe 'Nations Sweetheart'. It is assumed we cant think for ourselves (which a lot of people cant I'm afraid) and every year we have a dancer like Dave. I think we'll have him for some time, because the usual thing happens - Craig has a go at him, Len says that's what strictly is all about, coming out and having fun, so unfortunately some silly people vote for him because of it.

. Some who can't think for themselves need to be reminded SCD is in the 'light entertainment' catagory :D

fyi:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/briefs/tv/browse-by-genre/entertainment/entertainment-on-bbc-one.shtml
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took Len's use of the term 'People's champion' to mean 'worse dancer, kept safe from the dance off by the public vote'. In other words, we did think for ourselves and provided the label. Us, not the judges or the Beeb.

That's not to say that Len didn't use it exactly because he knows some of us find labels in general to be nauseating :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the show and its sister show are intentionally pushing Dave Myers down our throats. I get the impression that he genuinely is very popular. He got massive cheers on the launch show before anyone had seen him dance. I really think that he is actually trying very hard to do the dances but genuinely doesn't possess natural dance ability. The worst of it is he is unintentionally funny as a result, probably because he is so bad but has much more character with it than other complete duffers from SCD history. I'm not going to knock him for trying, though I can see it will become wearing as better dancers leave before him.

I don't think he should be compared with the likes of John Sergeant or Ann Widdecombe etc. They are very different to each other and to Dave. John Sergeant was clearly also trying - he produced some nice ballroom and his latin was just very basic, but he probably actually had more natural ability for ballroom than Dave does. Again JS never intended to be a comedy candidate, he just became labelled as such. AW just couldn't be bothered to try in the latin and barely tried in the ballroom, though not helped by the ludicrous height difference and her natural tendency to pitch forwards. Her routines were not funny they were just dire. I will happily run down AW because she clearly couldn't be bothered.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    isledance wrote: »
    Of course they are the beeb think we all need this (type of act) and Dave,nice man that he is, fills that spot this year...........

And as it's the general public who seem to keep on voting for him ......
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    Dave isnt trying to be the "joke" act. On ITT he was "gutted" that Craig thought their dance was rubbish technically.

I get the impression, he's training hard, as he says Karen has taught him to stand upright:D

I also get the impression, he's taller than I think - Si King must be really tall
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same here . I sort of knew I would , a few weeks in and he is beginning to get on my wick now .
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    There are still 13 couples left, it's still an achingly long show and it needs a bit of variety. I don't think anyone has gone yet who was considerably better than Dave. I think that kind of 'you won't believe your eyes' rubbish dancer adds something to the early stages, though I get why it annoys some people, and I think Dave is a lot more endearing than many in that role. And he's doing his best. Yes, the people's champion is a silly annoying title, but he didn't say that about himself.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd struggle to get really po-face offended about it, given there are 12 other contestants to see better technique from.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cj1234 wrote: »

'National Treasure' is another!

I was one of those silly people :D I don't object to people voting for him, each to their own. But personally, I've grown tired of the intentional/unintentional joke act, prolonged standing ovations, pre-prepared one-liners on ITT. It was fun for two weeks but I really don't want to lose a Mark or a Deborah and endure any more of it.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you push a celeb down someone's throat unless they switch on the TV and watch them?

We do have a choice. Well, I do and I make it.

I find 'Dave'; utterly tedious and am not amused by the way he is working the Big Fool Class Clown number for all it is worth.

On ITT it was obvious he loves it, loved the attention and the sudden 'popularity'. He is full of it and beginning to look a bit smug to be honest.

It's tedious and I now FF anything to so with him and do not watch his farcical dances. I actually love Karen H but sadly, I am missing most of her contributions because Dave is such a pain in the rear to watch.

You have a choice. Just fast forward the guy. He won't be there forever.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Same here . I sort of knew I would , a few weeks in and he is beginning to get on my wick now .

Mine too. It's all gone to his head and he is revelling in it. I just FF him now. I think he is a prat.