Options

Waiting for Chryed to Get It On - Christian & Syed (Part 269)

Comments

• Options
    kqvkqv Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    AlexinBrum wrote: »
    I really share his regret that the days of 'Arthur steals £50' have gone, in favour of big, headline-grabbing stories.
    The BIG stories rarely have as much emotional impact. It's why I much prefer Neighbours these days - it's more character-driven, slow build, small stories that build and build and become intricate webs of secrets and fears and determination and love where every character's action has implication for all the others and where the viewer can't predict what will happen.
    That's why the initial Chryed story was so good - each of the characters (Syed, Christian, Zainab, Masood, Tamwar, Amira, Ian, Jane, Lucy, Qadim) all had a viewpoint and motivation and everything that each one of them did had implications for all the others. That's why it was gripping - because there was no right or wrong, no easy solution.

Yes, it was all about the gray areas...and very character driven....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic interview, he said so many of the things we've done, about soaps going 4 times a week, and the pressure of ratings, etc. What an articulate man. I love that he likes to write for the non-Alpha males. Cannot wait (but I will) for the rest of it - so excited for the Chryed bits. :D

Ha ha, you are me! I am over it now, totally - I think. :p And yes I'm good at that too. :sleep: He really did mean his vows, even more so, he probably blanked out what he'd done, had to make it so that it didn't exist in his mind.

I see it as him being full of joy and thinking it would never come out. Also, he'd clearly been absolutely heartbroken and upset on the stag night, so knowing that (in retrospect) also made it ok. Still a cruel twist though.

Think I'd better shift my thoughts to the gutter for this evening. :D

Syed is watching Strictly now, and Christian can get it on a channel in Gran Canaria. They are on skype and are comparing dances and chatting, and saying how much they miss each other. :D

I am with you...So over it..his obvious distress the night of the stag showed me that he was broken at the thought of losing Christian

The gutter is a good place to be

Always
  • Options
    momentarythingmomentarything Posts: 20,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really share his regret that the days of 'Arthur steals £50' have gone, in favour of big, headline-grabbing stories.
    The BIG stories rarely have as much emotional impact. It's why I much prefer Neighbours these days - it's more character-driven, slow build, small stories that build and build and become intricate webs of secrets and fears and determination and love where every character's action has implication for all the others and where the viewer can't predict what will happen.
    That's why the initial Chryed story was so good - each of the characters (Syed, Christian, Zainab, Masood, Tamwar, Amira, Ian, Jane, Lucy, Qadim) all had a viewpoint and motivation and everything that each one of them did had implications for all the others. That's why it was gripping - because there was no right or wrong, no easy solution.

I think Chryed kind of was one of those headline-grabbing storylines... so they're not necessarily bad. What made it great was that while it was kind of controversy-courting, they treated it with the sensitivity and respect it deserved.

I think EE's current problem is actually the opposite. It has NO headline-grabbing storylines. I don't really keep up with it anymore, and I've heard NOTHING about it. This week, I watched Emmerdale and Hollyoaks (they were fantastic btw, especially ED), which I normally don't do, because of all the hype around it. There's been nothing like that in EE for about 2 years.
  • Options
    KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dessie wrote: »
    (((hugs)))

It's bizarre, isn't it? In the best possible way! So good of them all, and especially Nick this time - letting two complete strangers into his home to interrogate him about 7 minutes worth of footage from an everyday soap episode he wrote more than 4 years ago, and he gets literally nothing in return. So much love for all the writers who've been so generous with their time. :)

Hiya Jennie. :D

Its truely wonderful what they're so welcoming and generous with thier time, especially when we're no editor of a magazine or a moderator of a soaps forum. We're just hardcore fans. :o:D

but I think if anything, what we've done, achieved and our passion has proved is..... is just how poweful fandom is and can be. When you get something right even if it's just a soap, you can gain something amazing in return. To achieve a backing like this, as a result of a storyline, speaks absolute volumes.

I can still imagine the reaction from the beeb when they heard of our convention last year/ :D:o:p
  • Options
    MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member
    I meant to say, hiii mt :D Loved your posts with the gifs and links... especially Christian and Syed being very loving and romantic :sleep::p How I've missed them!
    Reading through the Canterbury thread and found this. :sleep: I hope you feel suitably ashamed for jinxing them Katrina! :p

Ha! This made me laugh, we were so naive back then... *shakes fist at BK*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On camera, Richard Davidson and Nick Hicks-Beach. By email, Pete Lawson and Daisy Coulam. In person (so not so much of an interview, as us squealing and fangirling) DTC, Diederich Santer, Pete Lawson, Johnny and Marc.

I still can't quite believe it. :D

They are all lovely to us. Really kind and I have a greater respect for them as writers knowing what they have taken to time to explain their craft and thoughts to us
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

Yes, I do too. The over-sensationalism at the cost of the characters, it stretches credibility (far) too far, and is a negative rather than a positive. I need to care about a story.
  • Options
    DessieDessie Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member

Yes, me too - and he's absolutely right, Arthur stealing the Christmas money or even Den divorcing Angie would have zero impact in today's soaps and it's sad. :( The trouble is I think as well is that they've lost the middle ground - either EVERYTHING is happening and it's completely OTT, or nothing is happening at all and it feels boring because of how big the big stuff is now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading through the Canterbury thread and found this. :sleep: I hope you feel suitably ashamed for jinxing them Katrina! :p

OMG! :eek::eek: :o

This is the moment where I slap myself. :sleep:

(but mentally doing exactly that to Kirkwood :sleep: )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant to say, hiii mt :D Loved your posts with the gifs and links... especially Christian and Syed being very loving and romantic :sleep::p How I've missed them!

Ha! This made me laugh, we were so naive back then... *shakes fist at BK*

Thank you. Their ideas of romance are amazing. I found Christian's 'I thought you were dead' post-coital talk so funny I had to pause the episode. Oops. So hot. :sleep: (ps: I do actually love that scene).

I once literally wrote a post that went along the lines 'I can see them maybe doing a cheating storyline with Christian, but Syed would NEVER cheat on Christian EVER'. More than one, probably.

I was practically begging them to do it.

edit: Katrina, pretty sure we all wrote a post about how EE would never do cheating with Chryed at one point or another, ha. I just can't believe they more or less avoided it for 2.5 years and then decided to piss on their wedding and exit? Baffling.
  • Options
    AlexinBrumAlexinBrum Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    meg_icy wrote: »
    Yes, I do too. The over-sensationalism at the cost of the characters, it stretches credibility (far) too far, and is a negative rather than a positive.

I just think that one of the things that keeps regular viewers watching is an ability to relate to the characters. To ask 'what would I do in that situation?' or 'I've been there and I wonder how it'll work out for that character'.

It's certainly one of the things that made Chryed so compelling for me - because I knew real life people in both situations.

I've never known anyone whose baby got swapped with their neighbour's dead one. :sleep:
  • Options
    rome81rome81 Posts: 4,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you. Their ideas of romance are amazing. I found Christian's 'I thought you were dead' post-coital talk so funny I had to pause the episode. Oops. So hot. :sleep: (ps: I do actually love that scene).

I once literally wrote a post that went along the lines 'I can see them maybe doing a cheating storyline with Christian, but Syed would NEVER cheat on Christian EVER'. More than one, probably.

If so, you were begging them to do it in a way that would be even remotely believable. Epic fail :sleep:

It never happened and I'm sticking to it :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remembering when a "Johnny hug" was just a faraway impossible dream....

And to think I actually had the privilege to experience quite a few of those by now... never, EVER thought this could possibly happen for real.... Sometimes dreams do come true!! :D:D
  • Options
    kqvkqv Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Hiya Jennie. :D

Its truely wonderful what they're so welcoming and generous with thier time, especially when we're no editor of a magazine or a moderator of a soaps forum. We're just hardcore fans. :o:D

but I think if anything, what we've done, achieved and our passion has proved is..... is just how poweful fandom is and can be. When you get something right even if it's just a soap, you can gain something amazing in return. To achieve a backing like this, as a result of a storyline, speaks absolute volumes.

I can still imagine the reaction from the beeb when they heard of our convention last year/
    :D:o:p

I love how you worded this, Katrina!
    crazysusan wrote: »
    They are all lovely to us. Really kind and I have a greater respect for them as writers knowing what they have taken to time to explain their craft and thoughts to us

Awww Susan...that's perfect!
    meg_icy wrote: »
    Yes, I do too. The over-sensationalism at the cost of the characters, it stretches credibility (far) too far, and is a negative rather than a positive. I need to care about a story.

That's the bottom line! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit: Katrina, pretty sure we all wrote a post about how EE would never do cheating with Chryed at one point or another, ha. I just can't believe they more or less avoided it for 2.5 years and then decided to piss on their wedding and exit? Baffling.
    Don't get me started. It was a case of

"lets keep them faithful for all these years but 3 weeks before they leave Syed will shag Danny"

:sleep:

It was Kirkwoods final up yours to us :rolleyes: So pleased that bo zo is out the show :sleep:

Okay happy thoughts - Perfect Moment. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rome81 wrote: »
    If so, you were begging them to do it in a way that would be even remotely believable. Epic fail :sleep:

It never happened and I'm sticking to it :cool:

It's sooo bad. I try to write fic, but I feel like I need to deal with the Danny stuff to write it. I can't write about the Danny stuff because I cannot understand or rationalise Syed's reasons for doing it, not telling Christian and then going through with the wedding. Catch-22. I can sort of rationalise the cheating, but not still going on with the wedding.

I sooo wish I could just forget it ever happened and believe that they never came back off their honeymoon. How's that Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind technology coming on?
  • Options
    starfish100starfish100 Posts: 12,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On camera, Richard Davidson and Nick Hicks-Beach. By email, Pete Lawson and Daisy Coulam. In person (so not so much of an interview, as us squealing and fangirling) DTC, Diederich Santer, Pete Lawson, Johnny and Marc.

I still can't quite believe it.
    :D

When you read it all like this, so amazing. I'm bowled over by how lovely people have been, it's just wonderful.

I hope these put a big smile on everyone's face, and BIG thanks to whoever made them. Can't get into my usual photo account but still have a few for this weekend....

http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r591/PrevailingLove/Aww_zps7efb83de.png Falling in love....early days, LOVE this look, Christian is in love with him already....

To this......http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r591/PrevailingLove/BedSceneGif1_zpsa598514f.png

And a bit of this....http://i1173.photobucket.com/albums/r591/PrevailingLove/BushraKiss5_zps3c063f0c.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zoetjetoch wrote: »
    Remembering when a "Johnny hug" was just a faraway impossible dream....

And to think I actually had the privilege to experience quite a few of those by now... never, EVER thought this could possibly happen for real.... Sometimes dreams do come true!! :D:D

That man must have Welsh blood, those arms were made for cwtches
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    Helloooooo!!!!! :D Feels kinda weird being back here, but in a good way. Massive thanks to Alex for organising this and to everyone for all the links :) I haven't had a chance to catch up on everything yet (been at work today :() but have saved lots of stuff to catch up on later. LMAO at some of the old threads/posts :D We did have a laugh on here, didn't we? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Don't get me started. It was a case of

"lets keep them faithful for all these years but 3 weeks before they leave Syed will shag Danny"

:sleep:

It was Kirkwoods final up yours to us :rolleyes: So pleased the bo zo is out the show :sleep:

Okay happy thoughts - Perfect Moment. :D

Wasn't it LN who did their exit, not Kirkwood??

Ah, perfect moment. It was... there's some word to describe it... faultless. :sleep: It was so unexpected, too. It was spoiled that Masood was going to catch them (though it was largely embargoed), but I could never have guessed it was going to be so loving and tender. Such a great episode. Ah, those beautiful days when they still remembered Syed was a Muslim.
  • Options
    MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member

Oh, the romance :p I think Syed calling a lawyer being his idea of a big romantic gesture just sums them up really. They're both as bad as each other :p

I remember writing several posts basically scoffing at the idea of one of Chryed ever cheating on the other after the hell they'd been through to get together. I must have forgotten which show I was watching :sleep: I kind of miss the days when I was that deluded though!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing though - regardless of how well DTC performs in this stint as executive producer (which I have faith, will be good), I'll always be thankful to him for giving me my favourite ever storyline in Chryed. :)

I wasn't there but I expect when you all saw him at Johnny's musical (ACL), earlier this year you showered him with lots of praise. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Nasty wrote: »
    Helloooooo!!!!! :D Feels kinda weird being back here, but in a good way. Massive thanks to Alex for organising this and to everyone for all the links :) I haven't had a chance to catch up on everything yet (been at work today :() but have saved lots of stuff to catch up on later. LMAO at some of the old threads/posts :DWe did have a laugh on here, didn't we? :D

Hey.

No. :sleep:

Lol, it did make me laugh a bit when non-thread people thought we took it all sooo seriously. I mean, we did in a way, obviously, but we ripped the piss out of Chryed, the storylines, other characters, each other...I mean, ffs, our title is 'Waiting for Chryed to Get it on'- that is not a title that attracts people who are really uptight.

One moment you'd be reading a serious post about the impact of cultural homophobia, the next someone would be making jokes out of an unfortunately-phrased spoiler ('As Syed feels the pressure, Christian takes matters into his own hands' etc.)
  • Options
    AlexinBrumAlexinBrum Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of people have mentioned Perfect Moment, so perhaps it is time for a little viewing, seeing as we went off-schedule :eek: and didn't do it earlier.

Anyone got a link?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it LN who did their exit, not Kirkwood??

I think this is one of those things we'll never have a clear answar for. Lorraine was in role by then but we know - even reinforced in the interview - that scripts are written months in advance.

Lorraine was a weak executive but I still think the hiring of Danny was done under Kirkwood, therefore his arc was mapped out pretty early on.

However Lorraines exits have genuinely been weak.

Zainab? Not to mention recently Jack - who I have absolutely no care for. No seriously, even Tyler Moon got a better exit. :sleep:
    Ah, those beautiful days when they still remembered Syed was a Muslim.
    THIS!