Options

Waiting for Chryed to Get It On - Christian & Syed (Part 269)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really love getting a writer's insight! It's kind of quite nice to know it wasn't just us that hated the whole exit plot. There were massive cracks and issues that can't ever be explained or rationalised. As we were saying earlier, if Danny had been one of Syed's old one night stands then it actually could have been a believable turn of events. Thinking about that whole period hurts my head. :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,211
    Forum Member
    AlexinBrum wrote: »
    I took it to mean he wasn't available on the day they would have to have shot the inside stuff. It would probably have been a different day from shooting outside.

Ah yes that rings a bell with that someone else said or I've heard before (Pete?). It's not filmed in order of course and there's only certain days they do outdoors etc. Thank you.

ETA: and thank you Laura too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NHB didn't like DTW. Good man.

Oh BK :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, HERE it is - Nick talking about three of his key Chryed scenes - MQ fight, reunion and THAT episode. :sleep:

I will also remind everyone that signed scripts of the first two are up for grabs in our charity auction.

There will also be a Part Four of his interview that was unscheduled. :eek: Haven't decided when I'm going to release it yet.

Anyway, enough of me, over to Nick... :)

Thank you! That was really interesting. What he said about the rushing and the shoe horning!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure I ever 'forgot' it, as such. I don't think I ever saw it. I definitely watched the episode (because I watched them all), but I think my eyes protected me. :o

Gutted the idea I sent in to TPTB about Christian and Syed becoming sex addicts (only with each other) never surfaced. :mad: It could have been a long-running storyline, with their many, MANY relapses during their recovery.

:D:D:D:D
    They sure missed a trick, I'm sure our whip round to finance this ground breaking plot would have made millions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ardchoile wrote: »
    Hello Chryedians!! I don't have much free time this weekend but I've been able to whizz through and catch up on the thread. Lovely to see you all here. MT - LOVING your posts, as always.

An interesting thing has happened to my memory of Chryed over the last year. All the bad stuff (and by this I mean pretty much everything post DC week) just exists as a background blur for me now. Once the story veered into unbelievability (starting with piper kiss), the few good things couldn't compensate for the basic 'But it doesn't make sense for the characters!!!!!!!!!!'. That sense of unreality permeated all of the stories that followed so they've just faded away. So, good result for me there really.

And revolcram -PLEASE don't watch it, most of it's BLOODY AWFUL.
    :D:D:D
    Hello! :)
  • Options
    AlexinBrumAlexinBrum Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When Nick said he didn't like the DTW storyline, Mercs and I made silent 'YES!' gestures from behind the camera. :D
  • Options
    rome81rome81 Posts: 4,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all :)

Mostly lurking today while doing other stuff, sorry. But *waves* at everyone!
    So, HERE it is - Nick talking about three of his key Chryed scenes - MQ fight, reunion and THAT episode. :sleep:

I will also remind everyone that signed scripts of the first two are up for grabs in our charity auction.

There will also be a Part Four of his interview that was unscheduled. :eek: Haven't decided when I'm going to release it yet.

Ooooh, interesting stuff. Best part so far. Great that you were able to do this Alex and Mercs and thank you Dessie for editing :)
    There's a part 4? Yay :D
    ardchoile wrote: »
    Hello Chryedians!! I don't have much free time this weekend but I've been able to whizz through and catch up on the thread. Lovely to see you all here. MT - LOVING your posts, as always.

An interesting thing has happened to my memory of Chryed over the last year. All the bad stuff (and by this I mean pretty much everything post DC week) just exists as a background blur for me now. Once the story veered into unbelievability (starting with piper kiss), the few good things couldn't compensate for the basic 'But it doesn't make sense for the characters!!!!!!!!!!'. That sense of unreality permeated all of the stories that followed so they've just faded away. So, good result for me there really.

And revolcram - PLEASE don't watch it, most of it's BLOODY AWFUL.

Just thought I'd do a classic QFT :sleep:
  • Options
    momentarythingmomentarything Posts: 20,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NHB didn't like DTW. Good man.

Oh BK :mad:

I'm really not surprised that he wasn't keen. The kiss episode was a story of two halves. Syed seemed to be a totally different character in the second half of the episode to the first. Because obviously he could be in-character when he was with Christian and his family.

I actually really liked that episode minus the Danny stuff. I'm not sure Shakespeare himself could have made me like the Danny stuff in that episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That was great stuff from NHB and it fits with stuff we said all along - too rushed, too much else going on, the fact they seemed to just add it that it was more than a kiss a bit later etc.

He was very polite and spoke well, but the gist was he didn't like it either. I did feel sorry for him when he said "you asking me that makes me think I didn't get it right". I don't think anyone could have got that to seem right at that time and really in character in one episode from a standing start as he said.
  • Options
    starfish100starfish100 Posts: 12,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG!! Cannot get over Part 3 of the interview, gobsmacked (but in a good way) :eek::D:eek::D

Didn't expect him to say he didn't agree with Danny being brought in, so interesting. :p Also so interesting to see that he's said the same as many of us - the cheating could have been plausible but not at the point at which it happened. But he says it's such a shame they did it all....how great is that!

Love how he talks about how less is more with the Reunion episode, and the power of the face stroke, totally agree, and most of us (IIRC) didn't think Syed would make a gesture or a PDA beyond this at this point, he judged that SO right, IMO :)

How interesting that a scene was cut with the stringy meat bit, and what a shame. Don't agree with the pacing decsions Santer took with that episode. Amazing to get all this inside information.

So much in that I'll have to watch it all again. I admire him for being so honest. Just wonderful to get all this. :D
  • Options
    MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member

Thanks Alex :) I feel bad for him when he blames himself for it not seeming in character! I think it was really ridiculous that he had to go from Danny and Syed having nothing to them kissing in one episode, amongst other storylines, and even the best writer in the world would've had a hard time doing it. Especially as I really, really don't think Syed getting off with Danny would ever have been in character. I don't blame any of the writers for that storyline at all, just whoever it was who decided it would be a good idea :sleep:

Yes I am still a liiiittle bit bitter that their final storyline was the one I enjoyed the least thoughout their whole time in the show by a MILE. Though I suppose it helped me let go of them when they left EE because I just wanted to forget it ever happened. Silver linings and all that! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG!! Cannot get over Part 3 of the interview, gobsmacked (but in a good way) :eek::D:eek::D

Didn't expect him to say he didn't agree with Danny being brought in, so interesting. :p Also so interesting to see that he's said the same as many of us - the cheating could have been plausible but not at the point at which it happened. But he says it's such a shame they did it all....how great is that!

Love how he talks about how less is more with the Reunion episode, and the power of the face stroke, totally agree, and most of us (IIRC) didn't think Syed would make a gesture or a PDA beyond this at this point, he judged that SO right, IMO :)

How interesting that a scene was cut with the stringy meat bit, and what a shame. Don't agree with the pacing decsions Santer took with that episode. Amazing to get all this inside information.

So much in that I'll have to watch it all again. I admire him for being so honest. Just wonderful to get all this. :D

BiB: Amazing! :D It makes me feel better that I didn't just have my bias glasses on and it genuinely wasn't great. :o I like it when someone more objective than I am agrees with me. :p

I'm pretty sure the editing of reunion episode is about 50% about why I was SO disappointed at the time. The actual reunion scene wasn't for me, and it's never grown on me, but by the point they got to it I was already pissed off and in no position to truly enjoy the scene, even if it had been good to me. Can't believe they were cutting scenes in the single most important episode of Christian and Syed's story. Especially given there was nothing else in that episode that couldn't have waited. We have never been blessed with editorial decisions. Still pissed off about that Masood/Syed scene they cut in the final week.
  • Options
    DessieDessie Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member
    When Nick said he didn't like the DTW storyline, Mercs and I made silent 'YES!' gestures from behind the camera. :D

Ha, silent on that bit yes - but I really wanted to include the bit where Mercs first brings it up and you say "this is the bit where I stick my fingers in my ears and go lalala, it Did Not Happen..." and he's all like "yeah, totally with you on that one" - and I couldn't because you and Mercs were whooping and cheering too loudly. :p Managed to get a bit of it in, but his facial expressions are hilarious...
    That was great stuff from NHB and it fits with stuff we said all along - too rushed, too much else going on, the fact they seemed to just add it that it was more than a kiss a bit later etc.

He was very polite and spoke well, but the gist was he didn't like it either. I did feel sorry for him when he said "you asking me that makes me think I didn't get it right". I don't think anyone could have got that to seem right at that time and really in character in one episode from a standing start as he said.

Ditto! But I think the girls did lots of reassuring him at the time that the writing was good and, as mt put it, Shakespeare himself couldn't have made anyone buy it at that point. I had to cut a lot out as everyone was talking over each other (and it was a bit repetitive too), but I'm sure he would have known he's not blamed in any way!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really not surprised that he wasn't keen. The kiss episode was a story of two halves. Syed seemed to be a totally different character in the second half of the episode to the first. Because obviously he could be in-character when he was with Christian and his family.

I actually really liked that episode minus the Danny stuff. I'm not sure Shakespeare himself could have made me like the Danny stuff in that episode.

Should have left in the alien body snatching mind warp scene.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rome81 wrote: »
    Hi all :)

Mostly lurking today while doing other stuff, sorry. But *waves* at everyone!

Ooooh, interesting stuff. Best part so far. Great that you were able to do this Alex and Mercs and thank you Dessie for editing :)
    There's a part 4? Yay :D

Just thought I'd do a classic QFT :sleep:

Hello rome! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have left in the alien body snatching mind warp scene.:rolleyes:

Ha. Or the appearance of Syed's evil twin, Syod.
  • Options
    DessieDessie Posts: 5,731
    Forum Member

Actually, by Reunion Kirkwood was in full charge, it was right after he took sole control. Feel completely free to add it to the list of Things to Blame BK For.
    BiB: Amazing! :D It makes me feel better that I didn't just have my bias glasses on and it genuinely wasn't great. :oI like it when someone more objective than I am agrees with me. :p

I'm pretty sure the editing of reunion episode is about 50% about why I was SO disappointed at the time. The actual reunion scene wasn't for me, and it's never grown on me, but by the point they got to it I was already pissed off and in no position to truly enjoy the scene, even if it had been good to me. Can't believe they were cutting scenes in the single most important episode of Christian and Syed's story. Especially given there was nothing else in that episode that couldn't have waited. We have never been blessed with editorial decisions. Still pissed off about that Masood/Syed scene they cut in the final week.

BIB1: Lol, I definitely don't think you'll be short of (objective) people agreeing with you on that one. I suspect a lot of the writers around that period would have been given their outline and gone '...you want Syed to say/do WHAT?!'

BIB2: Ohh, me too. :( Forever and for always. Particularly since it was the same episode that had about 20 scenes of the Branning brothers drinking in the Vic, any one of which could have been cut. They just didn't give a crap, did they? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dessie wrote: »
    Ha, silent on that bit yes - but I really wanted to include the bit where Mercs first brings it up and you say "this is the bit where I stick my fingers in my ears and go lalala, it Did Not Happen..." and he's all like "yeah, totally with you on that one" - and I couldn't because you and Mercs were whooping and cheering too loudly. :p Managed to get a bit of it in, but his facial expressions are hilarious...

Lol! I'd forgotten that! We can release it as a DVD extra. :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, by Reunion Kirkwood was in full charge, it was right after he took sole control. Feel completely free to add it to the list of Things to Blame BK For.

BIB1: Lol, I definitely don't think you'll be short of (objective) people agreeing with you on that one. I suspect a lot of the writers around that period would have been given their outline and gone '...you want Syed to say/do WHAT?!'

BIB2: Ohh, me too. :( Forever and for always. Particularly since it was the same episode that had about 20 scenes of the Branning brothers drinking in the Vic, any one of which could have been cut. They just didn't give a crap, did they? :(

BiB: "Wait, why can't Syed say 'I love you'?"
    "Because he just can't, okay! We need to drag this out another two weeks."
    "Why can't Christian just have a realistic reaction and not be willing to forgive Syed straight away for a massive betrayal?"
    "...it's pride, okay! Just say Syed can't say I love you because of pride."
    "That... that makes no sense."
    "Who cares! Ugh, stop talking in so much detail about Syed anyway, no-one cares. Is there any way we can involve Derek in Christian and Syed's wedding plot?"
    "I don't think so."
    "...what's the point."
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha. Or the appearance of Syed's evil twin, Syod.

:D:D:D
    Syod, the bounder and cad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Nick's last bit in Part 3.

"My job was to get them to kiss, almost from a standing start. That was the job of that episode."

Get them to kiss.
    From a standing start.
    That episode.

One episode to get a very private, religious man (who gave up his family for the person he has been in love with for three years and is now engaged to) to kiss a randomer in the street days before his wedding.

Kinda says it all really.

ETA Don't envy Nick for being allocated that episode.
  • Options
    kqvkqv Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Hello ardchoile and LovelyLaura!

Alex and Erin I can't thank you enough for getting this interview....it's just so marvelous to hear his words on everything, and it made my day that he disliked all the crap...and his explanations why....just loved it all! NHB was so lovely and open and honest....

So funny, I love it!!!!

Ditto! But I think the girls did lots of reassuring him at the time that the writing was good and, as mt put it, Shakespeare himself couldn't have made anyone buy it at that point. I had to cut a lot out as everyone was talking over each other (and it was a bit repetitive too), but I'm sure he would have known he's not blamed in any way!
    Lol! I'd forgotten that! We can release it as a DVD extra. :sleep:

Great editing Dessie...and I would love to see the rest as a DVD extra, Alex! Please???
    BiB: "Wait, why can't Syed say 'I love you'?"
    "Because he just can't, okay! We need to drag this out another two weeks."
    "Why can't Christian just have a realistic reaction and not be willing to forgive Syed straight away for a massive betrayal?"
    "...it's pride, okay! Just say Syed can't say I love you because of pride."
    "That... that makes no sense."
    "Who cares! Ugh, stop talking in so much detail about Syed anyway, no-one cares. Is there any way we can involve Derek in Christian and Syed's wedding plot?"
    "I don't think so."
    "...what's the point."

This is hysterical, MT!