Options

Pirate Bay’s Anti-Censorship Browser Clocks 1,000,000 Downloads

Comments

• Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are you condoning their actions?

No. I'm not against people 'downloading' though. I download to see if I'll like a film/series enough to buy the retail one.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have downloaded a few things from The Pirate Bay, and I am fairly sure none of them have cost anyone money. The reason is that I only bother with downloading from there if there is no other way of getting something. For example, some Japanese stuff can not be bought in this country. and is not available to buy from web sites.

There are loads of filesharing sites - The Pirate Bay was closed because it had the word 'Pirate' in it's title. If it had been called 'The Noble and holy Conservative Supporters Club', it would have been left alone.

Of course I know that some people would put on there things that were in copyright and could be bought in shops, and it is people who did that who should be prevented from doing so, and it is perfectly simple to do that - all someone has to do is inform the site that he or she owns the work concerned, and the site will scrap it. Even that is wrong in my opinion.

What should happen is that if a person does something illegal, either the police should get involved or the owner should sue them. That however is not what the authorities want, they want things on the web closed down so that the establishment retain control.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Further to my last post, deliberately in case anyone doubts what I say about the hypocrisy of it all, what about You Tube? It is stuffed choc a bloc full of things still on sale in the shops and earning copyright fees. Why don't the Government shut down You Tube?

Because it is popular, they would lose votes, and it is not vilified in the Daily Mail. But it is a heck of a lot more illegal than TPB.
  • Options
    Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    No. I'm not against people 'downloading' though. I download to see if I'll like a film/series enough to buy the retail one.

So you copy things that you're not entitled to.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The vast majority of content is now available to stream. Take your pick from Netflix, Sky Go etc. There is rarely any excuse to pirate things because they are not available in this country.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moby has an opinion on the subject
    http://i.imgur.com/Hwbvvjv.png
    He posted it to his facebook.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at the upcoming Doctor Who special. Apparently it'll be given a simultaneous global release, which is good, but you'll still get people downloading it.

Why ?

Because I suspect they'll be hardcore Doctor Who fans who want a copy to watch while they wait for the DVD/BluRay release.

So why not buck the trend and not only give it a simultaneous global release on TV, but release it commercially to buy at the same time as well.

I imagine they'd do pretty well out of it.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at the upcoming Doctor Who special. Apparently it'll be given a simultaneous global release, which is good, but you'll still get people downloading it.

Why ?

Because I suspect they'll be hardcore Doctor Who fans who want a copy to watch while they wait for the DVD/BluRay release.

So why not buck the trend and not only give it a simultaneous global release on TV, but release it commercially to buy at the same time as well.

I imagine they'd do pretty well out of it.

Thats a good point and its true for me. I download a heck of a lot and buy the disks/box sets when released
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If either of my films I had produced ever got released commercially, I'd want to be paid for them. I wouldn't want some kid saying "well you got paid for the script so why should you earn any more?. i'll just help myself to a copy thanks ..".
    If I pay to watch your films, and they're rubbish, do I get my money back?
    Stig wrote: »
    The vast majority of content is now available to stream. Take your pick from Netflix, Sky Go etc. There is rarely any excuse to pirate things because they are not available in this country.
    I watch "pirated" football international games of countries I am interested in (Croatia/Belgium last weekend for one) via the alternative streams - simply because the games I am interested in or not available to me via UK terrestial, Sky or BT.. On a scale of 0 - 10, how wrong is that? On the grounds that if there was a "legal" web stream that I could pay for - I would??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you copy things that you're not entitled to.

No, another computer out there copies things as my laptop sends requests/packets for a file (which is the case no matter where you download from). The other computer copies, and then uploads the bits until my laptop gets it all. As far as the not being entitled bit goes, yes, you got that right. The entitled bit would be the same for a half of a quarter of the total internet users in the world.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather watch content that's very good quality than stuff that's only good enough to be easy on the networks. We're quite a bit off having a network that can handle steady amounts of massive bandwidth going through it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, another computer out there copies things as my laptop sends requests/packets for a file (which is the case no matter where you download from). The other computer copies, and then uploads the bits until my laptop gets it all. As far as the not being entitled bit goes, yes, you got that right. The entitled bit would be the same for a half of a quarter of the total internet users in the world.
    So you give the instruction to your computer to copy the files you are not entitled to.
    Or another way of putting it is you are breaching copyright laws with your unlawful use of files not belonging to you.
    We could play semantics all day but it won't alter what you are doing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you give the instruction to your computer to copy the files you are not entitled to.
    Or another way of putting it is you are breaching copyright laws with your unlawful use of files not belonging to you.

You haven't read my post properly. My laptop sends requests to another computer, and it's the other computer that does the copying before it uploads the data to my laptop. As far as the rest of your post goes, I'm not thieving anything. You can say what you like though.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ever sang happy birthday in a public place? you broke copyright. Ever record stuff on VHS? Broke the law. Ever record a song onto tape? broke copyright. Ever watch a music video on youtube that was not on the official channel? you broke the law. More than likely you have broken copyright law more times than you have had sunday dinners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    Ever sang happy birthday in a public place? you broke copyright. Ever record stuff on VHS? Broke the law. Ever record a song onto tape? broke copyright. Ever watch a music video on youtube that was not on the official channel? you broke the law. More than likely you have broken copyright law more times than you have had sunday dinners.

Yep. There's quite a few instances where people would be guilty of committing copyright infringement.
  • Options
    Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. There's quite a few instances where people would be guilty of committing copyright infringement.

Indeed, not to mention the odd goings on with the law making aspect of it. 4 weeks before the Digital Economy act (the UKs internet law paper) was to be put into parliment, Peter Mandelson went on an expensive holiday, paid for by David Geffin (Dreamworks as well as many other media arms) and the Rothschild Corfu holiday island. After that, the paper went from protecting users from internet scams and stuff relating to malware and spam, because a hugely aggressive paper against copyright infringement (against both the Police commissions and research groups opinions).

It clearly sounds like some very powerful players in the media world paid for the paper to go from protecting users and prosecuting internet crimes, to a huge attack on internet downloading.

They want the public to play fair, but are happy to act as enforcers for the monied people of the world. Disgusting how with some money, you can buy laws.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I understand people who say that downloading something like a film and not paying for it is is wrong. I understand people who don't care and will download the film anyway.

What I don't understand is people who try and justify stealing it and making out it's copying or similar and trying to justify that it is ok.

Sometimes you can't buy it anywhere or it is really expensive. Which puts most people out of the market when a book costs over 100 pounds online and a rare DVD about the same.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You haven't read my post properly. My laptop sends requests to another computer, and it's the other computer that does the copying before it uploads the data to my laptop. As far as the rest of your post goes, I'm not thieving anything. You can say what you like though.
    Your computer will only act on the instructions given it by the user, you. You are the one who has instigated this action.
    You are downloading illegally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes you can't buy it anywhere or it is really expensive. Which puts most people out of the market when a book costs over 100 pounds online and a rare DVD about the same.
    Tough. When I wanted a bigger better house I saved the money for it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your computer will only act on the instructions given it by the user, you. You are the one who has instigated this action.

It's illegal to play the tracks on an audio CD in full at a disco for teenagers, but the organisers will still allow this to happen though. I don't disagree that it's illegal to download copyrighted content.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I notice you haven't replied to post number 40.
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    The same old agreements from the freetards.

Then instead of insulting people just back up your mouth and copy and paste the Theft Act and show us just how wrong you imagine we are?

Great when you get a loud mouth who is just 100% wrong!

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed some baiting tends to go on in threads that have anything to do with illegal downloads. I should have known better than to reply.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I think for me works even less well for justification - I can't afford it so I will steal it.
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I download shows like Supernatural at USA pace, as I don't want to wait almost a year for them to come onto Sky & so that I can avoid fast forwarding through ridiculous amounts of adverts

I download Doctor Who episodes much like I used to record them onto VHS tapes back in the day.

On principle I will only pay for a product the once & then rip it or download it, so that I can watch or listen to the content on any of my devices. I don't think that there is anyone in the world that buys a CD & then pays out again to have the CD in MP3 format. Also I like to have a copy of the film that I have purchased, that I can just load up & watch instantly without obnoxious "Thank you for paying for this film" & other anti piracy messages, that take up time, when all you want to do is be able to watch the film.

If Sky are not showing a football match or sports event that I want to see & I am unable to get to the match, then I will watch the game via an illegal streaming site. I like to watch the match as it happens & cannot stand the likes of Football First. The Premier League have gotten their money from all the seats being sold on the day, it shouldn't make any difference if I choose to watch the game by an alternative method.