Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    OMG -- he gave her the speech I've been mentally begging him to give her for years! that he needs help to be a husband....and it still wasn't quite enough.

I sooo badly wanted him to bend down a little further and put an exclamation point on that speech by giving her a tender kiss.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Not many episodes in that series:(
    I think I prefer the episodes set around the people of the village who are far more interesting!
    Let's hope the new series is filmed in 2014 and they make more episodes:)
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sort of reconciliation but alas not enough.

Good though to see both Martin and Louisa stick up against Martin's mum.

Does anyone know if Martin Clunes real life illness effected the overall series plot or just some elements.
  • Options
    ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    He could have just rung the airport and told them to stop her from getting on the plane...
    As someone else has said, it's nigh on impossible to speak to anyone, and they'd be unlikely to mess up their flight departure just cos someone called up.
  • Options
    petebluepeteblue Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Looks like there will be a series 7, not sure if Louisa will be in it or not.
  • Options
    conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was a bit of an anticlimax have to say. A few good moments.... and it all kind of limped towards the last five minutes.

As if a doctor, surgeon or NOT, who has not operated in a few years would A. be allowed just walk into the theatre of a hospital where he is not even on staff B. proceed to perform a delicate and dangerous procedure while suffering a blood phobia, and C... perform it on his WIFE !!! I won't even elaborate on just puking up in the corner of theatre and returning to the table, not as much as a change of mask, never mind re-scrubbing !!

I work for a Surgeon, and let me tell you this is actually bordering on science fiction !!

So Martin's problem is that he does not feel that he deserves Louisa deep down..... by the time he strolled off without as much as a kiss or smile for her, I tended to agree !!!!

Forget therapy, I thought a good slap would answer him better by the time the credits rolled !
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Wow! What a finale! However, it didn’t feel like an ending to me, so I count on S7. They opened many doors.

This episode was absolutely heartbreaking. I think it’s safe to assume that DM realised his own limitations and has come to a willingness to work on himself to overcome this.

Throwing Mum out was overdue. The way he did it was superb.
    “You don’t want to see me homeless?”
    “No, I don’t want to see you at all.”:D
    Also his response to her statement that he’s always been an awkward little boy.
    “I didn’t think you were around me long enough to notice.”

And yes, everyone suggesting Margaret would nick the clock was right. She really is a shameless woman through and through.
    Louisa was right in telling her some home truth. I liked her observation, that Margaret can’t say one nice thing about her son. She is still defending Martin. A glimmer of hope.

Martin has no illusions about his upbringing and his parents anymore whatsoever.

Not after Ruth shook some sense into him. The shot when he arrived at her farm was telling it all. He was at his wits end. He was ready. Ready to seek and take advice. Liked the way they sat on the grass and he rattled on all his medical examinations he had done with no result. Ruth told him what he already knew, and she told him that he knew – it wasn’t medical.
    Ruth has changed her views quite a bit since last season. He can change and he has to change when he wants to keep Louisa. Otherwise he has to let her go.

I think how much he is willing to is best shown in him booking a flight – any flight, no preferences, no matter where in Spain, he’ll track her down somehow. Controlling, well-prepared, picky Dr. Ellingham doesn’t give a hoot about the airline he trusts his life in and is willing to traipse all over Spain.
    Don Quichote is coming home.

I found it very important that they’ve shown this, because otherwise it would have been a repeat of end of S4 – Louisa in danger, he saving her. But this time he was running after her already, the emergency just sped that up. I think it is debatable if we really needed the medical emergency, other than for the fact that it is a medical show. I guess in his relationship with Louisa it would have been more powerful if he’d suddenly stood in front of her at some Spanish beach.:p

I felt Louisa didn’t want to go. She just waited for a word from Martin. At the beginning, the conversation through the closed door, you could practically see that she just waited for two words: “Don’t go.” and she would have stayed. It’s such a shame that he is such a wreck.

We also learned that his wall was built between age 4 and 6. So indeed a very long practise in shutting himself off. He will have to work hard. I hope for the two of them he can do it.

Loved the interaction with James. Their foreheads together, Martin’s apologies, James giving his daddy a big smile, and then later the little gesture of him stuffing James’ toy into his trouser pocket. That’s not the place where it is supposed to be. Martin’s sense of order is crumbling.

I loved Morwenna. After she burst into his ECG, she didn’t say a word. She didn’t tease him. She didn’t mention it again. She just quietly went to do her job.
    We can also assume that she had emptied the waiting room and closed shop on her own. She cares for the Doc and is a real help. And she could handle the emergency and the Doc trusted her being able to cope. Al and Morwenna are working well together. That is something I would love to see in S7. Even if I have to wait two years. The blossoming affair between Al and Morwenna.

Martin is already trying to change. His apology to the bronchitis case was very tough for him, he almost choked on his words, but he managed to get it out.

The exploding airbag is back. Back to square… sorry… season 1.

Poor Penhale, being told it was a fancy dress party. :p “How do I look?” “Like an idiot!” Sorry, harsh, but true.
    But this time JP had his redeeming qualities. He certainly was a very safe driver at high speed and completely relaxed and in control of the vehicle. And he managed to get the Doc through the gates at the airport.

Martin doesn’t beg Louisa for another chance. He knows he doesn’t deserve it (or feels like that, as Ruth spotted correctly). He had asked for a last chance at the castle. So no last chance for him.
    He ensures her safety and her well-being. He is there for her, but doesn’t have anything to hope for himself.

Actually, I would have got the surgeon out of the way, too. Being nervous and unable to remember technical terms and generally giving the impression of not being up to it. I guess it was safer to stow him away, although Martin shutting someone into a cupboard is telling.
    He was absolutely in his element in the operating theatre, even when he had to throw up, he gave the impression of being in control.
    With Louisa being almost unconscious, he could give his best speech ever. I need your help, not with the operation, I’ve done that many times before, but I never was married before and I don’t make a good job of it. I need to learn and I need you to help me. Martin Ellingham is asking for help. A HUGE step forward.
    I loved Louisa’s drowsy comments, imagining him on a Spanish beach in trunks and flip-flops. Something to look forward to in S7?:p

Martin in an operating theatre in Truro. I wish they would use this operation as a door opener for him so that he can do what he likes to do, even when it’s not on the same level he used to perform. As long as they have a bucket handy!

In the last scene, they are back at calling each other husband and wife. Maybe they have come full circle since episode one. Maybe that’s a good sign.
    And both of them know that they can’t go on as they had before. They need to change the routine.
    Plenty of fodder for S7.

Let the waiting begin!;)
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall, I'm happy Lothian wrote the episode. He is very good at mixing emotions, with action, and with a touch of light-heartedness.

The episode was certainly pack full of incidents and it was a showcase for the character of DM. Although I'm sad that AR had to give such clear narrative explanation for DM--it just seemed a bit made up--I'm sure it was helpful and it was perfectly timed to allow DM to stand up to his mother in such a marvelous way. The dashing about did elevate my adrenaline and it was interesting to have DM do the surgery, which has already been noted would not be okay, (nor is it okay to lock someone in a closet and apparently have no one notice that someone is, no doubt, pounding and screeching to be let out right by the surgical theatre). Plus, having had brain surgery, after the prepatory Versed injection (or the British equivalent) you really cannot hold any type of real conversation and yes, LG would remember none of it. Unless, there is a PW effect floating around Truro Hospital!

Nonetheless, I suppose if we learned that deep down DM felt that he was unlovable and created a situation and an emotional downfall to push LG away (oddly after having had four good months with her), so he could learn he is lovable and he will use LG's guidance to be a better husband, that's good, I suppose. Not sure it was worth all the middle episodes we had to trudge through, though.

I hope others agree this finale was enjoyable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You've said this as a preface to many of your posts lately. Being a bit repetitive yourself, don't you think?

That being said given all we knew about this series as it was being filmed none of what has occurred should've been a surprise to you. It is obvious they had to do a massive rewrite of a couple of episodes to cover for MC's illness and they had to work it into the scripts to cover for the fact that he looked like a cadaver. Considering that I think they did as good of a job as they could. They couldn't wait six months until he was healthy again unless they pushed back the air date of the series and that would have been impossible, unless they wanted to lose a metric buttload of money for breach of contract. ITV had already announced the airdates.

As to 'repetitiveness' I've pointed out frequently that they need to alter the direction of the show because there are only so many 'wacky illnesses' that can occur in a town of less than 1,000 people. There are only so many story lines that can be generated with the minor characters they have. The show became repetitive in series three in that aspect. Ye gods, the residents of PW are some of the most clumsy and sickly people I've ever seen and if a school had that many 'emergencies' per pupil the government would be in there poking around to find out why.

The show has to expand to include more characters and it has to expand in order to give DM some different things to do besides pulling peas out of noses. In this series they have added/brought back characters and expanded other character's roles. In order to reinvigorate the show it will have to change and I suspect the majority of you will be howling about that if they do because the one thing that you want to see isn't going to happen. I know the lot of you would want it to be nothing but an hour long snog and sex fest. You might be surprised to find out that the vast majority of people viewing this program aren't obsessed about the 'pajamas of steel' like so many are here and I am sure the Q numbers and other marketing research that both BP and ITV does says the same thing. I also suspect that MC's days of being the 'ass man' of TV is over and he doesn't want to do scenes like that anymore. Why? He has a 13 year old daughter who would have to listen to her school mates and friends give her the gears about it. He and his wife own and produce the show and they have a large say in that matter and if MC and PB don't want those scenes in the show they aren't going to be there.

Finally I am going to use a quote Teri Martires Flores over on the FB spoilers group used. It is quite appropriate in this situation.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Oh, Adelie, how always delightful to see you on the Forum!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Well that was a bit of an anticlimax have to say. A few good moments.... and it all kind of limped towards the last five minutes.

As if a doctor, surgeon or NOT, who has not operated in a few years would A. be allowed just walk into the theatre of a hospital where he is not even on staff B. proceed to perform a delicate and dangerous procedure while suffering a blood phobia, and C... perform it on his WIFE !!! I won't even elaborate on just puking up in the corner of theatre and returning to the table, not as much as a change of mask, never mind re-scrubbing !!

I work for a Surgeon, and let me tell you this is actually bordering on science fiction !!

So Martin's problem is that he does not feel that he deserves Louisa deep down..... by the time he strolled off without as much as a kiss or smile for her, I tended to agree !!!!

Forget therapy, I thought a good slap would answer him better by the time the credits rolled !

Also, I believe Britain is rabies free, too. So, why did a patient need the vaccines?
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strewth wrote: »
    Not many episodes in that series:(

Series 1 had 6 episodes, series 3 had 7 and the rest all had 8 - so no fewer than usual
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They didn't quite reconcile, but I would say there is hope for the future. He knows what he has to do now, and I dont think she really wants to leave him for good.

No, defintely not. She just doesn't want to go back to the same old routine and is right about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I sooo badly wanted him to bend down a little further and put an exclamation point on that speech by giving her a tender kiss.

But she was drugged and as we have learned from last series, he doesn't think it's romantic to take advantage of one's medical condition.:D
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kernow19 wrote: »
    Of course there is.

thanks. There is a god
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Penhale was far less obnoxious and caricatured tonight, wasn't he? Even despite the silly costume.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BodminDM wrote: »
    No, defintely not. She just doesn't want to go back to the same old routine and is right about that.

I wonder how they are going to show us, and more important, each other, that they are not back in the same old routine. Will they try living together again? or will they be "dating?" I'm sure fanfic will think up some good answers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We really don't see good health care at Truro Hospital, do we?

1. They miss LG's DVT
    2. They miss LG's pulmonary embolism
    3. Her doctor there supposedly allows LG to fly soon after suffering both #1 and #2, which should not have been allowed.
    4. They miss the malformation in her brain and do not pick it up later to alert her to 1) stop the warfarin, and 2) do not fly.

Lucky for PW, they've got a good doc! We are not seeing too see many of them in Truro!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona and Mofromco (and any other medical professionals in earshot) -- what are the chances the Louisa would remember any of that pre-op conversation?

And also: when he told her at the end, "I agree, and I don't want that, either," how do people interpret her "really?" As a kind of willing to be convinced "really?" Or was she a little hurt, as at the end of S3 when he told her that she wouldn't make him happy either.

(Boy, were they both right ....so far.)
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mona and Mofromco (and any other medical professionals in earshot) -- what are the chances the Louisa would remember any of that pre-op conversation?

I'll leave that to Mona because she is smart.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved, loved, loved it! Wasn't it funny when Louisa told Martin that he has a big head? Like a moon, but in a good way. :cool::)
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I loved, loved, loved it! Wasn't it funny when Louisa told Martin that he has a big head? Like a moon, but in a good way. :cool::)

She rather liked it.....even when drugged....that was great
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And also: when he told her at the end, "I agree, and I don't want that, either," how do people interpret her "really?" As a kind of willing to be convinced "really?" Or was she a little hurt, as at the end of S3 when he told her that she wouldn't make him happy either.

I thought she agreed and was just surprised he had come to the same conclusion.
    And from their conversation after the operation I'd say Louisa doesn't remember the talk on the operation table. But he does.
  • Options
    ggo85ggo85 Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    You don’t want to see me homeless?”
    “No, I don’t want to see you at all.

KInd of reminded me of the James Bond line from Goldfinger:

[Bond] "You want me to talk."
    [Goldfinder] "No, Mr. Bond. I want you to die." :)

As for the ep . . . the whole OR scene was -- as someone above said -- preposterous on so many levels. But, a lot of times on this show, you have to suspend medical disbelief.

I rather liked how, at the end, Mummie Dearest was defending DM's lousy father (who cheated on her, left her bankrupt, etc). rather than her son. She is one messed up lady and the actress plays her well.

The final line "You're my patient. And my wife." can be read in so many ways. Note how he puts his patient first . . . always has and always will and that is something LG will have to deal with if she stays. He also says, "You ARE my wife." That suggests permanence. Or could be read as simply a statement of the present state of affairs.

At the end of S5, I was very much OK with that being the end, even though we all pretty much knew there would be a S6. I would feel cheated if this was the end. I don't like to see shows (vs. a season/series) end on cliffhangers as, IMO, it's not "fair" to the audience. And after 6 seasons of DM, this would be a very unfair ending.

That said, I can just see DM and PB doing it, given their view of DM. The end says he will be forever conflicted and unhappy. His last interaction with the POTW . . . goes back to see the coughing guy but won't listen to his song. Last interaction with LG . . . the last time we see him with his son and his aunt. They all have unresolved moments. So, as noted above, I can see folks thinking this is a good ending for the show.

Someone above suggested a S7 w/o LG. Can't see that happening . . .

What would be good is a story that moved forward about 4 yrs. The powers that be want something "different" for DM? How about him with a walking, talking toddler? :D
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't watched the episode yet, so going on what's been said, but I imagine DM was probably more concerned about saving Louisa at the time.

Are doctors actually able treat relatives in an emergency as long as they can justify it?

I imagine he'd face consequences for his actions, possibly even being struck off, but if it came to a straight choice of being able to continuing to practice or living without Louisa, and JH growing up without a mother, what other decision could he make?
  • Options
    Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    Is that it for Doc Martin then? Are they going to put the show out of its misery?
This discussion has been closed.