Options

The Tennis Thread (Part 25)

Comments

• Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Well - yes if you have the Sky entertainment package its included as a free channel. Same with Virgin media.

I accept its not on freeview - so isn't technically 'free'!

The other option for people is tennis TV - which only costs £6.99 to watch on a tablet a month of £58 a year (£5 a month). They cover everything bar the slams - including many tournaments not available on ES/Sky/BT (e.g. Valencia this week where Sky are only showing highlights of the final on Sunday but Tennis tv is covering the entire week from tomorrow).

I don't have the entertainment package just the basic package.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watson 2nd on tomorrow, might be a stream as she's on central and that was streamed today
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heather beats McHale!! 26 75 64. :)
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 116,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »

Makes a welcome change for Heather to lose the fist set and win the third.
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Makes a welcome change for Heather to lose the fist set and win the third.

McHale is also coming back from glandular fever but a bit further on than Heather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yay! :)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very happy for Heather. I know it's not huge in terms of points, but hopefully a mark in the sand, pointing towards a better 2014.

And let's face it, she needs any points she can get, lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Very happy for Heather. I know it's not huge in terms of points, but hopefully a mark in the sand, pointing towards a better 2014.

And let's face it, she needs any points she can get, lol.

yeah, one of the commentators on ES was saying the other day she has 3rd round points to defend at AO so she needs to start 2014 well
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well hopefully it's the start of Hev's recovery, it's not unusual for GF to keep people down for a while. She seems to be having fun with a few other Brits, maybe she needed to relax a bit more.

Just hope she can have a much better year next year, and stay clear of illness and injury.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great win for Hev! Hope this tournament will give her some confidence going into the off-season so she can race back up the rankings in 2014 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watson playing in singles and doubles tomorrow! Konta is up first on central.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Russian team for the Fed Cup final in Italy:

Alexandra Panova (ranked 138)
    Alisa Kleybanova (ranked 186)
    Irina Khromacheva (ranked 231)
    Margarita Gasparyan (ranked 317)

Can't see the Italians losing a set.
  • Options
    Cherry-chocCherry-choc Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It must do, but the tour is all the better for it. It will prolong their careers, and making it a level playing field stops pushy parents or anxious teens from abandoning school and risking their mental and physical well-being.

I'd much rather see women staying healthy on the tour into their late twenties, instead of peaking so young, then burning out.
    Agreed. It wasn't good to see players retiring in their early-mid 20s.
    A win. It's only McHale though, let's not get too excited :p
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Russian team for the Fed Cup final in Italy:

Alexandra Panova (ranked 138)
    Alisa Kleybanova (ranked 186)
    Irina Khromacheva (ranked 231)
    Margarita Gasparyan (ranked 317)

Can't see the Italians losing a set.
    Is that a B or C team? Russia don't seem to care about away ties these days.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A win. It's only McHale though, let's not get too excited :p

She's now through to the quarter finals at Poitiers!

No, it's not an amazing win, but it was a very important one. Also, if she can go deep into these ITF tournaments, she has a fighting chance of getting back into the top 100 before the Australian Open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Hev wins this week she definitely makes the main draw of the Aussie Open.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watson won 6-1 4-6 6-4. another 3 set victory :) doubles match is happening atm.

Konta lost 5-7 6-0 6-7
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think for Hev right now, it is just a matter of getting any wins under her belt whether ITF level or not...it will do good for her confidence:)
  • Options
    Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Azarenka lost to Jankovic, really surprised at that. But, Jankovic played excellently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vika has been in funky form since New York so I'm not too surprised
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wait...Benoit lost to Nieminen today in 43 minutes.......*smh*
    this guy continues to find new ways to amaze me:o:rolleyes:

EDIT: Nevermind...just saw on his twitter that he is injured and heading to Paris for tests:(
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    I think for Hev right now, it is just a matter of getting any wins under her belt whether ITF level or not...it will do good for her confidence:)

Totally. There are good reasons for her poor showing this year, but it must still be incredibly demoralising, so some decent form now will do her the world of good for the off-season.

I don't expect Radwanska to beat Williams, but I'd like it to be a respectable. She seems so resigned to lose, it makes me sad.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can tell Radwanska has zero belief that she can actually beat Serena.
  • Options
    Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "I think it was obvious I was a little mentally tired today. Onto the next one... I play my next match on Friday. Goodnight.. and thanks for the support everybody. xx"

From Azarenka's Facebook. A teeny bit disrespectful to Jankovic? Or is it just me who read it that way :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "I think it was obvious I was a little mentally tired today. Onto the next one... I play my next match on Friday. Goodnight.. and thanks for the support everybody. xx"

From Azarenka's Facebook. A teeny bit disrespectful to Jankovic? Or is it just me who read it that way :o

Well she's not happy for sure. Li Na could dump her out on Friday.
  • Options
    TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Azarenka has lost focus..wasn't she in Australia recently with Redfoo? Not ideal preparation and it seems she's taken her eye off the ball a bit. Poor Aga, she got obliterated again by a below par Serena. She has a lot of thinking to do in the off season because unless she bulks up and gets some power she will never compete with the big guns so if she's happy to plateau then fair enough but she needs to make changes if she wants to progress
This discussion has been closed.