Options

Music channels

Comments

• Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what's wrong with Greatest Hits - yet again they are playing male vocalists when the EPG and the on screen graphics say it's an all girl day.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fil4121985 wrote: »

Over the years, MTV Australia/NZ have become increasingly bound to MTV UK, from a strictly "technical" point of view at least.

Over the weekend MTV have announced that the Australia/NZ channels will be moved to the UK by the end of this year. All broadcasting/production etc will be done from London.

http://mumbrella.com.au/mtv-australia-announces-another-round-redundancies-183772
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I wish "Now Thats What I Call Music" TV came to Freeview. Blocked our two excuses, noticed on the EPG that Viva stops playing music after three!! Is there a way to complain?
  • Options
    bond008bond008 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    15 people in broadcasting, 85 in sales/marketing – sums up MTV pretty well.

• Options
    tom e1649tom e1649 Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VH1 Adria has finally appeared on Total TV!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the weekend I noticed there's a fault with the graphics on the MTV channels. Song titles don't appear at the end of videos before an ad break.

VH1 is unaffected as it's still using old graphics. I think whoever added the new logo to the website must have made a mistake!
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the weekend I noticed there's a fault with the graphics on the MTV channels. Song titles don't appear at the end of videos before an ad break.

VH1 is unaffected as it's still using old graphics. I think whoever added the new logo to the website must have made a mistake!

FFS so VH1 is left to rot - hardly surprising was looking forward to a new look VH1 but I guess since MTV's got a new set they can't be half assed making an attempt on VH1 - nominate it close it down its served its purpose and not fit for broadcasting to "MTV" standards time to yank it off - I personally feel slightly naffed off at this (ok its only a channel) but for VH1 not to have a new set of graphics whilst MTV gets another revamp whats the point of it being on? It's the same crap day in day out ... hardly any investment goes to VH1 but its blantly obvious that money is ploughed into MTV that much that VH1 has nothing to stand on
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    FFS so VH1 is left to rot - hardly surprising was looking forward to a new look VH1 but I guess since MTV's got a new set they can't be half assed making an attempt on VH1 - nominate it close it down its served its purpose and not fit for broadcasting to "MTV" standards time to yank it off - I personally feel slightly naffed off at this (ok its only a channel) but for VH1 not to have a new set of graphics whilst MTV gets another revamp whats the point of it being on? It's the same crap day in day out ... hardly any investment goes to VH1 but its blantly obvious that money is ploughed into MTV that much that VH1 has nothing to stand on

If it's any consolation, all the other European VH1 channels are still using the old graphics/logo. MTV Adria adopted the new graphics last Friday.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm amazed people still watch music channels. In all the years of having Sky this is the worst variety of channels to be around.

The 90's you had The Box playing new music and VH1 playing 80's.

Early 00's you had P Rock, Q, Early days of Scuzz and The Amp

Mid 00's NME, Classic FM, MTV2, VH2.

Now almost 90% of the existing channels play pop music from 1999 - the present day on a loop.

No countdowns of the mid 00's.

No graphic updates like The Box of the 00's.

Just wall to wall commercial rubbish with late night teleshopping.

The music videos YOU want are on Youtube forget music tv.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed people still watch music channels. In all the years of having Sky this is the worst variety of channels to be around.

Now almost 90% of the existing channels play pop music from 1999 - the present day on a loop.

I'll agree with you on those certain points but what exactly do we put on them instead wall to wall idiotic shows - it seems more like thats the way already - but its far from being "entertainment" as they claim to be

Not just that but they need to expand their playlists more than just play "safe", mind you they already say "old skool" for songs of the 00's already surprisingly! That term has a new meaning now and has been thrown out the window :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom e1649 wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, all the other European VH1 channels are still using the old graphics/logo. MTV Adria adopted the new graphics last Friday.

So why the hold up with it all - you have a new design for the channel - implement it - is it that hard to flick a switch to change an on screen logo as they seem to have been able to do it with MTV but VH1 is floating in the air somewhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Youtube is a great source of music videos, but there's still a place for music TV (just like iPods haven't replaced radio). A music channel might introduce you to a new track or artist, or play something you haven't heard for ages (unlikely with today's channels, but you never know).

If Youtube ever has a feature like Spotify where it can automatically build a playlist of tracks based on your tastes, then that might be a big threat to music TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Youtube is a great source of music videos, but there's still a place for music TV (just like iPods haven't replaced radio). A music channel might introduce you to a new track or artist, or play something you haven't heard for ages (unlikely with today's channels, but you never know).

If Youtube ever has a feature like Spotify where it can automatically build a playlist of tracks based on your tastes, then that might be a big threat to music TV.

and we can see those in "control" of those very channels will blame that and hence the reason of more to carry on ..... its basically their own spiral downfall from grace .... they will possibly close or go bankrupt by 2025 :D....one can only hope (MTV and the rest of the so called "music" channels)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on Wednesday 13th November, MTV Classic has "10 Days to MTV Xmas!".
    The countdown is on! It's only 10 days till MTV Xmas hits the house with its Christmas spirit. Get ready for the ultimate festive atmosphere with the best cozy and warm Christmas spirit tunes

It sounds like they may be rebranding the channel for the Christmas period.

I think it would make more sense to rebrand the all but dead VH1 as an MTV Christmas channel, then relaunch VH1 with a new look in January.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    on Wednesday 13th November, MTV Classic has "10 Days to MTV Xmas!".

It sounds like they may be rebranding the channel for the Christmas period.

I think it would make more sense to rebrand the all but dead VH1 as an MTV Christmas channel, then relaunch VH1 with a new look in January.

But of course thats the logic way of thinking of doing it isn't omnidirectional - but its not the MTV way :rolleyes:

and oh f..k really? 10 days til MTV Xmas .... advertising the same crap day in day out once more filled with you fav christmas hits - is it not a bit too early for that would have been better later in month as by end of it people will be demented by it all
  • Options
    tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute radio need to bring out a tv channel
  • Options
    lovinthetellylovinthetelly Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't watch them anymore, crap music and picture bitrates, and music not as good as it used to be.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish "Now Thats What I Call Music" TV came to Freeview. Blocked our two excuses, noticed on the EPG that Viva stops playing music after three!! Is there a way to complain?
    You are not missing much regarding NOW Music. It is just another music channel that has nothing new to offer the Now generation of the 80s and is aimed primarily for the youth of today.

Maybe someone at NOW should say who their channel is aimed at. Is just another music channel for the under 25s. From what i have seen yes it is
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    Absolute radio need to bring out a tv channel
    It would be good if absolute 80s came to tv
  • Options
    Neil_NortonNeil_Norton Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    You are not missing much regarding NOW Music. It is just another music channel that has nothing new to offer the Now generation of the 80s and is aimed primarily for the youth of today.

Maybe someone at NOW should say who their channel is aimed at. Is just another music channel for the under 25s. From what i have seen yes it is

I have heard negative things. Guess being 29, I am prized out of the market then.

Pathetic. I did see their countdown vote and about 90pc of the songs were released in the past three years! Did music not exist before 2010?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have heard negative things. Guess being 29, I am prized out of the market then.

Pathetic. I did see their countdown vote and about 90pc of the songs were released in the past three years! Did music not exist before 2010?

I am the same age here too :eek: but what do you expect anything before 2010 or even 00's never exists to this lot in charge ... if it does they either slag the songs off or basically say "crap" .... right then I rather listen to music of 90's/80's/70's here at least songs were half decent and none of this autotune crap!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yep anyone above the age of 24 is elimainated ... why thanks alot The Box, I usually tune in to it but seems like I may as well pack my bags now ..... Can I pop over to VH1 by chance ... sorry can't that to is half the time at that age group oh well Vintage it is (so much for catering to EVERYONE) :rolleyes: ... so in other words all these channels "alienate" older viewers yes great idea and you wonder why people do not tune in ... shot yourselves in the foot on that one! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    Yep anyone above the age of 24 is elimainated ... why thanks alot The Box, I usually tune in to it but seems like I may as well pack my bags now ..... Can I pop over to VH1 by chance ... sorry can't that to is half the time at that age group oh well Vintage it is (so much for catering to EVERYONE) :rolleyes: ... so in other words all these channels "alienate" older viewers yes great idea and you wonder why people do not tune in ... shot yourselves in the foot on that one! :D

MTV Classic is supposed to be the channel for older viewers, but they don't even make a good job of that. A huge range of older music is ignored completely. They pretty much restrict themselves to Top 10 material.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tom e1649 wrote: »
    MTV Classic is supposed to be the channel for older viewers, but they don't even make a good job of that. A huge range of older music is ignored completely. They pretty much restrict themselves to Top 10 material.

I took VH1 was still going to run similarly to MTV Classic ... how wrong was I that too is stuck on a loop and basically them to research anything correctly is beyond useless really but give them credit they seem to know more about today's music but they easily get mixed up what decade their in when running countdowns :rolleyes: but lets be honest all these channels are doing what they shouldn't and thats just trying to cater to a demographic and be "innit", uh huh so what about us lot above 25 (or some younger than 25 into classics) what do we get? I forgot the same garbage day in day out - but as people say Youtube is the best place to go (understandable) but basically MTV and the alike are killing themselves off and again sorry to rant but when the hell is VH1 getting its rebrand? Tuned in tonight and we still have the same logo - FFS MTV get your fingers out and rebrand this god forsaken channel or are you lot playing "favourtism" to MTV here? :mad: