Options

Bruce is appalling and should go!

Iggy's BoyIggy's Boy Posts: 3,321
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My first series of Strictly - I was previously an X Factor viewer but that show became too lachrymose for me, so I've moved over.

It's great but Bruce is appalling!

Why on earth is he allowed to be on TV? He's confused, doddery, he mumbles and stumbles, and he can't read the autocue.

He looks confused, unsteady on his feet, he's cantankerous and short-tempered and remarks on things we can't see that are going on with the crew.

He interrupts people, cuts them off, makes nonsensical non-sequiters and his comedy timing is atrocious.

Yes, his gags are corny but so are Ant and Dec's on I'm a Celeb, and yet on that show, even though you can see Ant & Dec's punchlines coming from ten miles away, they still make you laugh, rather than in Bruce's case, cringe and hide.

Perhaps Bruce once was an effective, even great, TV host once, but I'm afraid he's had it, he's shot, he's lost it.

It's not ageism to suggest that he is too old for the job. It's not ageism to acknowledge that advancing age has an impact on the body, the reflexes and speed of reaction. the power of the vocal cords, the amount of energy, etc, etc.

It's only his desperate ego and love of fame that see him clinging on. In the same way as no-one felt able to challenge Jimmy Saville because of his intimidating power and status as Mr BBC and his Royal Honour, so no-one feels able to stand up to Bruce Forsyth and tell him he should step aside.

It's a shame, cos the show is fantastic. If only he wasn't dragging it down!

Comments

• Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Good post!! I feel the same, there are many who agree with you on here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1901463
    its on ongoing weekly debate...

I also feel that the BBC will never get rid of him, seems he is untouchable and his ego is indulged. He has presented for 10 years now, time to give somebody else a go. The show doesnt fall apart on Sundays, without him, or the weeks he has missed if anything it is much improved!
  • Options
    CranfieldCranfield Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    I am no fan and tonight he was at his worst.

Surely the Producers can shut him up when he is rambling on, interrupting the Judges, doing his own critique, etc.

We can moan all we like, nobody is going to take any notice.
    Hopefully, this is his last series.
  • Options
    oxygenjjoxygenjj Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pssssst ,

don't tell Sir Terry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He doesnt seem to be able to keep quiet, I am trying to listen to the judges and he keeps cutting over with his own little comments and rambles. He does try to take over the show too much. I watch for the dancing and judges and want to enjoy the main part without the presenter getting his ego in the way all the time.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These threads seem to turn up every week. Everyone has an opinion but the bottom line is that Bruce will go when he wants to.
    Any further discussion is futile.
  • Options
    Bob_MasseyBob_Massey Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    I dont mind his terrible jokes, its all the mugging that goes on around it. Say the joke and move on, dont labour the point...

Fingers crossed Bruce decides to leave after this series and then I'd like to see Anton take his place.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stash22 wrote: »
    He doesnt seem to be able to keep quiet, I am trying to listen to the judges and he keeps cutting over with his own little comments and rambles. He does try to take over the show too much. I watch for the dancing and judges and want to enjoy the main part without the presenter getting his ego in the way all the time.

Brucie speaks to couples as the audience clapping fades away/ tells the couple when they have a standing ovation and then asks for the judges comments. He smooths over what's said by adding his own comments and then encouraging or quips with the couples as he sends them up to Tess. He's good at what he does and for anyone who wants a colourful showbiz show and not something totally bland
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    Cressida wrote: »
    Brucie speaks to couples as the audience clapping fades away/ tells the couple when they have a standing ovation and then asks for the judges comments. He smooths over what's said by adding his own comments and then encouraging or quips with the couples as he sends them up to Tess. He's good at what he does and for anyone who wants a colourful showbiz show and not something totally bland

I agree. I thought he was in fine fettle tonight.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    These threads seem to turn up every week. Everyone has an opinion but the bottom line is that Bruce will go when he wants to.

Exactly. I've seen a thread about a certain poster who apparently is excessive in his threads but the threads slagging off Bruce are getting just tiresome. Before anybody says it, I will post on this to make a comment because I can ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's like Archie Rice in The Entertainer. He simply does not realise how bad he is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    He's like Archie Rice in The Entertainer. He simply does not realise how bad he is.

It's everyone who wants to complain who has the problem. Brucie's happily hosting Strictly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I've seen a thread about a certain poster who apparently is excessive in his threads but the threads slagging off Bruce are getting just tiresome. Before anybody says it, I will post on this to make a comment because I can ;)

The OP has said it is their first year watching the show and they are new to the forum, it's not as if they have been starting up debate on this subject everyday
  • Options
    AngelJeanAngelJean Posts: 4,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob_Massey wrote: »
    I dont mind his terrible jokes, its all the mugging that goes on around it. Say the joke and move on, dont labour the point...

Fingers crossed Bruce decides to leave after this series and then I'd like to see Anton take his place.

What makes you think Anton will be any better? He is too full of himself and would talk over the judges even more. Ok he is quite funny but he is unlikely to be a natural presenter.

The judges talk over each other more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's everyone who wants to complain who has the problem. Brucie's happily hosting Strictly.

The tail that wags the dog indeed.
  • Options
    zedderszedders Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When he did the 'twerk' joke, not only did he fluff the punch line, (we don't DO t'work to earn money, we GO t'work) he then he then tried it use Tess, born in Derbyshire, as proof of his joke about Yorkshire! Then compounded it by asking Tess about Vernon - from Bolton!!
  • Options
    TiggergirlTiggergirl Posts: 2,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely it's the stuff like this that is totally unnecessary. Why tell them when I'm sure they are perfectly capable of seeing that the audience are standing or not and are perfectly capable of understanding clapping and cheering etc and having to be told it's all for them. That IMO is a total waste of time and seems so totally condescending that the couples are incapable of knowing what is going on around them.

My main issue with him tonight was the fact he seemed to be obsessed with the fact it was going out live as he kept going on about it and the audience behaving well again something that seemed totally pointless.

I don't have a problem with Bruce or any other presenter for that matter offering encouragement or soothing if the judges have been harsh but it doesn't always flow as it should and often comes across patronising and condescending or just plain pointless and often seems to be self gratification for Bruce himself to focus extra attention back to him and away from the couples.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iggy's Boy wrote: »
    My first series of Strictly - I was previously an X Factor viewer but that show became too lachrymose for me, so I've moved over.

It's great but Bruce is appalling!

Why on earth is he allowed to be on TV? He's confused, doddery, he mumbles and stumbles, and he can't read the autocue.

He looks confused, unsteady on his feet, he's cantankerous and short-tempered and remarks on things we can't see that are going on with the crew.

He interrupts people, cuts them off, makes nonsensical non-sequiters and his comedy timing is atrocious.

Yes, his gags are corny but so are Ant and Dec's on I'm a Celeb, and yet on that show, even though you can see Ant & Dec's punchlines coming from ten miles away, they still make you laugh, rather than in Bruce's case, cringe and hide.

Perhaps Bruce once was an effective, even great, TV host once, but I'm afraid he's had it, he's shot, he's lost it.

It's not ageism to suggest that he is too old for the job. It's not ageism to acknowledge that advancing age has an impact on the body, the reflexes and speed of reaction. the power of the vocal cords, the amount of energy, etc, etc.

It's only his desperate ego and love of fame that see him clinging on. In the same way as no-one felt able to challenge Jimmy Saville because of his intimidating power and status as Mr BBC and his Royal Honour, so no-one feels able to stand up to Bruce Forsyth and tell him he should step aside.

It's a shame, cos the show is fantastic. If only he wasn't dragging it down!

Bruce may be having a planned break in a week or two. Be sure to tune in as Tess and Claudia do a great job!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiggergirl wrote: »
    Surely it's the stuff like this that is totally unnecessary. Why tell them when I'm sure they are perfectly capable of seeing that the audience are standing or not and are perfectly capable of understanding clapping and cheering etc and having to be told it's all for them. That IMO is a total waste of time and seems so totally condescending that the couples are incapable of knowing what is going on around them.

Who knows if they do? It’s not always totally obvious to viewers as the audience are out of shot. It's a tv show and allows the cameraman to pan to the audience so they and the viewers can see the audience standing and applauding. What length of time does it take? A few seconds. How does anyone know that he’s not asked to draw attention to standing ovations?
    My main issue with him tonight was the fact he seemed to be obsessed with the fact it was going out live as he kept going on about it and the audience behaving well again something that seemed totally pointless.

Didn‘t bother me but perhaps something had occurred the viewer wasn‘t aware of - props being moved away or some brought on or some other small blip had occurred that everyone in the audience was in on but not the viewer so he made a joke of it. It is a live show and anything could have happened. Perhaps someone who was there would know exactly why he did.
    I don't have a problem with Bruce or any other presenter for that matter offering encouragement or soothing if the judges have been harsh but it doesn't always flow as it should and often comes across patronising and condescending or just plain pointless and often seems to be self gratification for Bruce himself to focus extra attention back to him and away from the couples.

Only if you see that way. The camera shots are at a distance when the couple moves across the floor towards Brucie. At the time he welcomes the couple they are standing by his side but the audience are still in the midst of clapping. If he jumped straight in the appreciation shown by the audience clapping would be ignored. Who would hear what the first judge to comment was saying including the couple themselves if their comments are given amongst the sound of clapping? The cameras are fully focused on the couple when they are listening to the judges remarks.

Last week Bruno fell off his chair and it was hardly noticeable Brucie picked it up. I don’t suppose Bruno's fall was planned. What should Brucie have done? Wasted time by leaving the chair where it was, asked for a runner to pick it or told Bruno to pick it up himself.

Television is professional but it’s also very much an illusion and is not always as it seems. Anyone can apply for tickets for the recording of a tv show and it's illuminating if nothing else.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These threads seem to turn up every week.
    Indeed - they seem to appear at least twice, sometimes three times a week.
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    Thank you OP for joining in the "Bash Bruce" campaign. This forum needs more negativity right now
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What should Brucie have done? Wasted time by leaving the chair where it was, asked for a runner to pick it or told Bruno to pick it up himself.
    Assumed that Bruno had the wit to just pick it up himself without being told? :confused: Because, let's face it, that was just a Bruno pratfall - I don't suppose it was spontaneous in any way.

Are we to infer that BF really earned his fee that night because he was sharp enough to pick up a chair?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    I actually thought he wasn't too bad last night, but generally overall he's quite awful, with last week being a particular low point. I really hope he's not back next year.
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't see why we should let Bruce off the hook. Maybe it is futile...but saying nothing is even more so.

I don't read what are clearly the "We support Bruce" threads.
    Perhaps those moaning about the "We don't support Bruce" threads should simply avoid them too.
  • Options
    martyboymartyboy Posts: 1,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting for a psychologist to explain exactly why Bruce seems to irritate so many people.

That irritation is something in our own minds. It is not a property of Bruce. There are some people who find his behaviour completely acceptable, possibly endearing.

Why does Bruce irritate some people, and not others?

My speculation is that Bruce represents some fear that is subconsciously present within all of us. Possibly fear of senility, or something similar. And we don't like that being brought to our attention.
  • Options
    madetomeasuremadetomeasure Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    maybe those who he 'irritates' allow themselves to be irritated easily. I think they love something to bitch about. Those who say the discussion is futile are right; do you really think Bruce cares what you think? His skin is thick and is experience is plentiful - he's going when he decides.