Options

Dropped calls on EE

Comments

• Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,666
    Forum Member
    paulker wrote: »
    The only other network with coverage at my house is Vodafone.

Here (15miles from Heathrow) we call Vodafone the "no service" network.

Elsewhere it works but many of my work colleagues carry a MiFi unit on 3 if they don't have a personal mobile. We find voice and texts work but don't expect iMessage to work as GPRS and EDGE don't have any throughput, and the only place Voda has 3G is when you're close to a SureSignal.

You have to test.
  • Options
    paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Good luck. No seriously, i mean it.

Grab a voda payg sim to test it out. They're doing some good SIM Only deals on 4G with cashback if you sign up before the end of this month.

Did you have trouble getting them unlock? Ive had an iphone unlocked from them already but it was over the 6 months thing they insist on.

They said they would make an exception for this phone on the 6 month rule.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Did you have trouble getting them unlock? Ive had an iphone unlocked from them already but it was over the 6 months thing they insist on.

They said they would make an exception for this phone on the 6 month rule.

Oh fair enough then. Just i thought they'd hold you to the six month rule. But tbh i've heard stories of Orange taking months to unlock some phones.

Regarding the above, Vodafone are not bad if they work in your area. Hence why i recommend a PAYG SIM first before signing up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Vodafone has some of the highest call failures in the industry according to Root Metrics, not to mention very poor 3G coverage. Are you out of your mind?

I am aware of this but what do I do. EE is great for internet at my office but isnt reliable for phone calls. Its so bad. EE also isnt good for calls at my home aither although Lucan says that will change.

I wouldnt go near O2 as I would like to be heard in English.

3, I need 2g back up. Also no signal in my house.

This leaves Voda.
    jchamier wrote: »
    Here (15miles from Heathrow) we call Vodafone the "no service" network.

Elsewhere it works but many of my work colleagues carry a MiFi unit on 3 if they don't have a personal mobile. We find voice and texts work but don't expect iMessage to work as GPRS and EDGE don't have any throughput, and the only place Voda has 3G is when you're close to a SureSignal.

You have to test.

I will test. Guys I am friendly with in a business next door say Vodafone is fine for them. Im the one who is always dropping the call :o
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would test Three too and see if you really do need 2G backup, as Three hangs on to 3G very well, 1 bar still gives pretty good performance. Your EE phone probably too readily drops down to 2G.

I find I don't need a 2G backup at all, but I guess it depends on individual circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just went out to buy a voda sim and topped it up with £10. 3g coverage is excellent in around the south side of Glasgow. Speeds are good too nearing 10 meg in a lot of places. I have 3-4 bars 3g in my house and 9 meg down.
  • Options
    MinardiMinardi Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Three hangs on to 3G very well, 1 bar still gives pretty good performance.

This is what has surprised me since I moved. I can make reliable calls on 1 Bar of 3G with three where I couldn't with Orange/EE on 3 bars of 2G.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From A Guardian link, blaming Solar Interference.

http://opensignal.com/blog/2013/10/11/solar-interference-the-cause-of-dropped-calls/

" An in-app survey we carried out 6 months ago showed that half of US cell phone users reported dropped calls as a problem with their mobile network."

So is Solar Interference worse in the US? 50% suffering a dropped call problem sounds dramatically bad.

I can't even recall the last time it happened on EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    So is Solar Interference worse in the US? 50% suffering a dropped call problem sounds dramatically bad.

The US is a really complicated place in terms of cellular phones.

e.g. in NY City, the AT&T network has both 2G and 3G on 1900mhz and far too many customers in a concentrated area. They just don't have enough spectrum. (One reason why they tried to buy T-Mobile USA). However in Florida and California, they own much more 1900mhz spectrum, so the problem doesn't occur. Being the exclusive carrier for the iPhone almost broke them in NYC. This is all due to the regional way the cellular networks grew in the US.

With LTE (4G) at least both big companies (AT&T and Verizon) have a national plan - and are using more and more spectrum.

Getting people to swap out older devices for 4G capable new ones is still the challenge.

Also they need VoLTE to carry voice and standard text messages, and that will reduce the requirement for the legacy 3G/2G networks.

AT&T have announced already a switch off date for 2G GSM services, so they can use the spectrum for 3G.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it was the editor of the Guardian who pointed out the fact that the iPhone 5c had the best signal reception.

With reports of IOS 7 increasing dropped calls I quite imagine it has been enough of an issue for him to notice the iPhone 5c works better than the iPhone 5s.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The US is a really complicated place in terms of cellular phones.

e.g. in NY City, the AT&T network has both 2G and 3G on 1900mhz and far too many customers in a concentrated area. They just don't have enough spectrum. (One reason why they tried to buy T-Mobile USA). However in Florida and California, they own much more 1900mhz spectrum, so the problem doesn't occur. Being the exclusive carrier for the iPhone almost broke them in NYC. This is all due to the regional way the cellular networks grew in the US.

With LTE (4G) at least both big companies (AT&T and Verizon) have a national plan - and are using more and more spectrum.

Getting people to swap out older devices for 4G capable new ones is still the challenge.

Also they need VoLTE to carry voice and standard text messages, and that will reduce the requirement for the legacy 3G/2G networks.

AT&T have announced already a switch off date for 2G GSM services, so they can use the spectrum for 3G.

I thought AT&T had managed to sort there spectrum problem out in NYC now. I thought that was why they brought out a few companies this year for the spectrum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    enapace wrote: »
    I thought AT&T had managed to sort there spectrum problem out in NYC now. I thought that was why they brought out a few companies this year for the spectrum.

Both AT&T and Verizon have been buying companies, but mostly for LTE spectrum. They are pushing their customers onto LTE as fast as possible - in most cases at no *extra* cost (take note EE,Voda,O2) as it helps the network.

The NYC situation was resolved when the iPhone exclusivity finished, and Verizon paid Apple to make a CDMA 3G version - after that the load balanced between the two majors, and then the two smaller companies ended up getting handsets too.

In the EU we are lucky that generally one iPhone handset supports every network in the region. In the US due to their much more relaxed regulation, they didn't get this. A lot of handsets in the feature phone era were made specifically for the USA (LG and Motorola) - Nokia was quite absent.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    In his case it is caused by the network. Ongoing works and a fault in an area that sees high traffic.. calls drop, call missed, coverage strong one minute/weak the next, calls dropping as it switches from 4G to 3G/2G or between the latter two & other strange quirks as the network off loads on 3G. 4G should be fine with data and if it were possible on the 5S to stay on 2G he'd likely see less or no dropped calls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In his case it is caused by the network. Ongoing works and a fault in an area that sees high traffic.. calls drop, call missed, coverage strong one minute/weak the next, calls dropping as it switches from 4G to 3G/2G or between the latter two & other strange quirks as the network off loads on 3G. 4G should be fine with data and if it were possible on the 5S to stay on 2G he'd likely see less or no dropped calls.

I always wondered if Apple should have put in a 3 way option selector, instead of the On/off (was 3g on/off, then becomes 4g on/off). I guess in their eyes they want to keep it simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The really annoying part of all this is that tech support say there is no fault in the area, just a couple of Orange masts switched off. We are left with 2 T-Mobile ones which should suffice in one industrial estate.

Calls drop on 2g too as the phone nearly always steps down to 2g. Before the Orange masts were switched off my phone would always stay on 3g if i was connected to the T-Mobile masts at the time which I would have been as I had a T-Mobile sim.
  • Options
    Prof-xProf-x Posts: 298
    Forum Member
    The really annoying part of all this is that tech support say there is no fault in the area, just a couple of Orange masts switched off. We are left with 2 T-Mobile ones which should suffice in one industrial estate.

Calls drop on 2g too as the phone nearly always steps down to 2g. Before the Orange masts were switched off my phone would always stay on 3g if i was connected to the T-Mobile masts at the time which I would have been as I had a T-Mobile sim.

I'm having a similar problem on three.

In July they turned off an orange 2g mast which gave almost full signal. Every call I made fell back to 2g.

3G coverage is changeable and in certain rooms I can make calls but for some reason it starts dropping out and sometimes switches to another 2g signal which is from a distant mast with gives terrible breaking up and cutting off a lot of calls.

I just hope they bring this wifi app like O2 tugo soon so I can operate over wifi.
  • Options
    justjaxjustjax Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little bit worried reading this thread as I have just switched to EE. Funnily enough, I'm switching partly because Vodafone has been dropping calls like crazy near my home (if I'm walking from the tube station to home).

From reading the thread it sounds as if these issues are down to a mix of switching between the t-Mobile and Orange masts and upgrading masts to 4G? If thats the case then would this now be less of an issues for EE in central London as most of the upgrades/mass switch offs have now probably been completed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    Little bit worried reading this thread as I have just switched to EE. Funnily enough, I'm switching partly because Vodafone has been dropping calls like crazy near my home (if I'm walking from the tube station to home).

From reading the thread it sounds as if these issues are down to a mix of switching between the t-Mobile and Orange masts and upgrading masts to 4G? If thats the case then would this now be less of an issues for EE in central London as most of the upgrades/mass switch offs have now probably been completed?

OMG.

Right... UK DECLARATION

UK MOBILE NETWORKS ARE IN DISARRAY.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 day sim only's ordered from Vodafone. Ive been testing out a PAYGO sim on Voda and its been good. EE goodbye......for now anyway
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    30 day sim only's ordered from Vodafone. Ive been testing out a PAYGO sim on Voda and its been good. EE goodbye......for now anyway

Can you try a Three sim as well . :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Good luck! (Here in my town, I can always make calls, but most of the time iMessage can't get through on GPRS or EDGE signal. In town centre on the only 3G mast iOS things work normally but speeds are around 4megabit/sec).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck! (Here in my town, I can always make calls, but most of the time iMessage can't get through on GPRS or EDGE signal. In town centre on the only 3G mast iOS things work normally but speeds are around 4megabit/sec).

Living in Glasgow, I am sure I will spend a lot of time on 3g. I have tested it all over in the past few days and all seems good.

Of course outside cities Voda is pants, I know this but its needs must just now. I can't make many successful calls where I need it most on EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't make many successful calls where I need it most on EE.

Yes, my friend in a neighbouring town is now unimpressed with all 4 networks since EE turned off a street-lamp Orange mast in his road, he's found all 4 networks give 1 bar GPRS indoors and often "no service". Stoopid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a Vodafone account a couple of years ago and got 1 bar 3g and 4 bars 2g. Since they turned on 3g 900 I get 3-4 bars 3g in my house. What a difference.
  • Options
    The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    OMG.

Right... UK DECLARATION

UK MOBILE NETWORKS ARE IN DISARRAY.

OR… undergoing largest upgrade and overhaul in many a year. Faster than many countries have been doing. :cool:

Whilst at the same time being one of the most competitive markets in Europe, if not the in the world.