Options

Ripper Street

Comments

• Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen this new one yet but is that it for the story of Reid's daughter then? I know his hopes were dashed last series but it still felt somewhat ambiguous whether she was actually dead or not.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diablo wrote: »
    The speakers on most modern TVs are rubbish, I'm wondering if that is the main problem some are having. ............

Then why is the sound on old, black and white films perfectly clear? Even american ones.

If you catch any of the 'Road' movies, bob hope speaks very quickly sometimes, but his words are totally audible.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually understood what the bad cop was was saying, but it felt less effotless (hearing wise) than say with other actors that are much clearer. I wish female roles in this were better, but I suppse they're reflective of women's lives at the time, or it's just lazy writing not to find a more meaningful part for a women other than being the head of a brothel, or being a prostitue or an unhappy wife.
  • Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    Then why is the sound on old, black and white films perfectly clear? Even american ones.

If you catch any of the 'Road' movies, bob hope speaks very quickly sometimes, but his words are totally audible.
    Because they were made for simple stereo (maybe even mono in many cases, I guess?) sound, not the 456.1 pop-your-eyeballs-right-out-your-skull mixes everything seems to have today. When those are condensed down to the very simple speakers most TVs will have it doesn't always work out well.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Possibly, TV speakers don't convey half of the sound. The ones they used in old CRT sets were a bit better but flat screen ones are very poor indeed, as a rule.

Yes, modern TV speakers are too small to be of much practical use. However, I use a sound bar with a separate woofer and the dialogue is still mostly incomprehensible.

Unfortunately the subtitles are in garish colours on seemingly flourescent backgrounds and are hugely intrusive. Given that Ripper Street is shot exclusively in dark or muted colours, there's really no reason to have anything other than white subtitles and no background.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I actually understood what the bad cop was was saying, but it felt less effotless (hearing wise) than say with other actors that are much clearer. I wish female roles in this were better, but I suppse they're reflective of women's lives at the time, or it's just lazy writing not to find a more meaningful part for a women other than being the head of a brothel, or being a prostitue or an unhappy wife.

I think one of the main female characters this series will be a councillor/politician non downtrodden woman.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,735
    Forum Member
    The TV speakers on my fairly expensive Panasonic have almost no bass and a lot of his speech requires bass.
    Really? I was listening using my AV surround sound set up and I was thinking that his mumbling could have been ameliorated by putting it through a "telephone" filter to remove the lower frequencies.
    Because they were made for simple stereo (maybe even mono in many cases, I guess?) sound, not the 456.1 pop-your-eyeballs-right-out-your-skull mixes everything seems to have today. When those are condensed down to the very simple speakers most TVs will have it doesn't always work out well.
    Shame they did not mix it that way then as it was broadcast in DD2.0 *not* surround.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Really? I was listening using my AV surround sound set up and I was thinking that his mumbling could have been ameliorated by putting it through a "telephone" filter to remove the lower frequencies.Shame they did not mix it that way then as it was broadcast in DD2.0 *not* surround.

Well, all I can say is that it was all perfectly clear and understandable when I used my floorstander speakers and amp but much less so with the TV speakers.

Maybe I've cleared the wax out of my ears more recently than you ? ;) That's only a joke of course. :D

Though I suppose they might give more thought to those who don't have good quality sound equipment and record it accordingly.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am still confused that Reid doesn't appear to answer to anyone and there are no uniform senior officers.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    I thought, probably unkindly, that he was trying to do a Daniel Day-Lewis.
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    What accent was it? I could not make it out.

It was supposed to be East Lawndon Cockerney Jewish my dear. Like Fagan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Why would the sound system used affect one actor and not another or one programme and not another?

Exactly. It's not the speakers. It's some actors.
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I hadn't noticed an issue with the sound. But then again I have got into the habit of watching with subtitles- something I picked up from not wanting to miss any of the insults from The Thick of It.

Was Bennet's new wife (Bella- is it?) the girl they used to entrap the villain in the last episode in series one? She seems familiar.I'd look back and check but I have idiotically erased all but one episode from my planner.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Abriel wrote: »
    I must admit i normally dismiss these "can't understand a word2 but i did struggle with some of the dialogue last night, especially jebadiah whatsit. Knock yourself out struck me too.

Overall, we loved it, great to have it back. Can't wait for next week.
    Poor ratty though;)

BIB remember we had this same game in the last series with the 'anachronisms' most of which turned out not to be.
    Someone do the research, phrase could well be of the right time in the US if not here.

I didn't have any problems with Jedediah Shine's dialogue, it was Bennett's, spike through the leg mate that had me using the subtitles and the American's drug experience, Long Susan whispering to him through the ether.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Exactly. It's not the speakers. It's some actors.

Simply fixed at the editing stage, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    Alfie155Alfie155 Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ethel_Fred View Post
    What about 'reverse engineered'?
    The whole thing is written to be syndicated to the US market. There's no way a Victorian copper would ever refer to someone's weight as "200 pounds"

Nor would they have said "Knock yourself out"

I love the language used too but found last night's ep really hard to follow. Its all very well saying that flat screen tv speakers are not good, but other broadcasts are much easier to hear on the same tv.
  • Options
    Dirty RoosterDirty Rooster Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey I just deleted this episode without watching the end : the hideously cheesy kung fu was too irritating for me.
    So ... did they win in the end?
    Did someone just invent heroin?
    Was the supposedly beautiful Chinese seductress really pig-ugly?
  • Options
    ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey I just deleted this episode without watching the end : the hideously cheesy kung fu was too irritating for me.
    So ... did they win in the end?
    Did someone just invent heroin?
    Was the supposedly beautiful Chinese seductress really pig-ugly?

We're not telling you.:p
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Alfie155 wrote: »
    Nor would they have said "Knock yourself out"

I love the language used too but found last night's ep really hard to follow. Its all very well saying that flat screen tv speakers are not good, but other broadcasts are much easier to hear on the same tv.

Yes, the 'knock yourself out' thing grated a little, but you have to brush off these annoyances with present-day TV dramas.

I think they ought to have included decent TV speakers in the standards for HDTV. Having decent sound should be as important as the picture itself. Then they could have a proper sound mix on the HDTV broadcasts and an easier to hear version on SD.

But they didn't.

It used to amuse me sometimes in the past when people had spent maybe £2000 on a big flat screen then asked for advice on buying a surround system to go with it - maximum budget £200. Not a good balance of priorities in my view.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Now Ive no idea but I wonder is ito do with watching in HD? As i said Ive never had a problem before, but didnt watch the first series in HD
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband has a gadget to assist with hearing the TV and he said that there was no problem with any of the voices in Ripper Street!
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kazziecon wrote: »
    We thought the sound was bad in parts ... Especially the K division DI (Jedediah?) Couldn't understand half of what he was saying :confused:
    Neither could I, but as some have said, turning on subtitles made a world of difference. Fully enjoyed this episode, I'm not totally convinced that Mrs Reid has gone and wouldn't be surprised if she turned up sooner or later with the excuse that she went to her mother's or something! :D
  • Options
    darnelledarnelle Posts: 9,116
    Forum Member
    cracking opener
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Got to admit, some of the dialogue was really hard work to follow through the bog standard speakers on my TV - I think the BBC sometimes forgets that it has to broadcast for the stereo masses rather than the far smaller 7.1 home cinema audience.

They need to keep the all singing, all dancing sound tracks for the DVD and Blu-Ray releases - unless they can produce research that proves that the majority of viewers now have surround sound in their homes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I'm not totally convinced that Mrs Reid has gone and wouldn't be surprised if she turned up sooner or later with the excuse that she went to her mother's or something! :D

I read in last week's "TV and Satellite" magazine what has happened to Mrs Reid, but it didn't say if she actually makes an appearance or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Angry viewers have contacted the BBC to complain about 'meaningless mumbling' in the new series of 'Ripper Street', which started on Monday night. Many took to the broadcaster's Points of View message board to air their views. It comes after director-general Lord Hall promised to combat such issues, saying: “I…think muttering is something we could have a look at. Actors muttering can be testing – you find you have missed a line… you have to remember that you have an audience.” The BBC commented: “It is important to point out that we have had less than 8 complaints out of 5.1 million viewers which puts this issue into context.” [Daily Mail]