Options

Tablet for children's Christmas present

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Ber wrote: »
    That's true bazaar. I have the cbeebies app on my tablet and my toddler son sits with me and plays the paint pop game, and there is also a basic spelling game that I play with him.

Yes we have that! But I'm not saying all we do is education, there's netflix and movies and music too, but it's more balanced than just sitting in front of the tv,
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Yes we have that! But I'm not saying all we do is education, there's netflix and movies and music too, but it's more balanced than just sitting in front of the tv,

Indeed. Like you said these technologies have their place these days. No different IMO to buying them games consoles, etc (or in my day a walkman or Commodore 64 :D)
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    My two lads are 7 and 4 and both have Wi-Fi only ipad 2's. We've put them in some of those Griffin ballistic cases so they don't get damaged, and they play with them a lot. The beauty is that many apps and games are free, and even the paid games are only 0.69p for the most part, which is a massive saving on games for Nintendo DS or similar. Plus, if I download the game to my ipad, the App store automatically downloads to theirs automatically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm not a bad mother for letting them have them, and you are no better than me (or others) because you think your way is right. We all do what we think is best for our kids.

We do indeed ;)
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have decided on the self same thing for my 8 year old daughter and have settled on this one from Amazon. Whilst it is not a "named" brand and especially for what she'll be doing and interested in I think it will fit the bill.

Tablet from Amazon at £89.00 - Note : In Stock Nov 12th
  • Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The hudl has some really nice educational apps, but those ones at Argos are good "starters" and all tablets allow kids to access more books than the average house can hold. I saw a two/three year old watching Peppa Pig on her mum's phone in the supermarket the other day, and a baby playing on a ipad on the train.

The younger children get to grips with the tech, the better for them.

Being able to use tech rarely gets in the way of kids doing other things, and I often find the people who are scared of "losing" their children in cyber worlds are the ones who do not know how to give their children guidance and structure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The hudl has some really nice educational apps, but those ones at Argos are good "starters" and all tablets allow kids to access more books than the average house can hold. I saw a two/three year old watching Peppa Pig on her mum's phone in the supermarket the other day, and a baby playing on a ipad on the train.

The younger children get to grips with the tech, the better for them.

Being able to use tech rarely gets in the way of kids doing other things, and I often find the people who are scared of "losing" their children in cyber worlds are the ones who do not know how to give their children guidance and structure.

Well said. The way my youngest intuitively whizzes around the apps on the ipad, playing spelling and matching games is great for him I think. I think tech has its place for kids, and I don't subscribe to the idea that some have that they should only be playing with wooden blocks from mulberrybush e.g.

I'm going to check that HUDL out. Saw one for first time in Tesco other day.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP,

If you haven't already done so, have a look at relevant threads in the DS Tablets section.

The general opinion there is that the Tesco Hudl is well worth the extra £20 compared with the new Argos tablet as it has a significantly better specification. If you've got Tesco Clubcard points available then the Hudl might actually work out less expensive than the Argos tablet.

Just about the only other tablet worth considering is the Nexus 7, but that's quite a bit more costly for only a fairly marginal improvement in spec.

Obviously it would be wise to get a suitable case.
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We got my eldest two innotabs... Absoutley Rubbish, replaced them with iPod touch and they are both as happy as larry with them :-)

They have Griffiths survivor cases on them
    Too! They are a must!
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It absolutely does!! Computer games are addictive. I know my brother could stay in his room for days playing games on his PC and he didn't do nearly as well in his exams as he should have because he is ALWAYS on his PC. My parents were always buying him the latest gadget and now there is no way of getting him off those things.

Kids have their teenage years to get stuck behind a screen. Why get them hooked on it early?

There is no need for technology to teach them shapes, spelling etc.
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To further inflame the "tablets aren't for kids" crew - I'd like to buy a tablet that my 2year old can use. She constantly wants our phones or laptops (usually when we're working!) so I would like something that she can use when she wants to, but that I could also watch tv on when she's asleep!

I'd be happiest with something thats wifi only, not overly expensive (I'm not planning to put loads of apps on it) and pretty robust.

Any suggestions?? :)
  • Options
    krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not a bad mother for letting them have them, and you are no better than me (or others) because you think your way is right. We all do what we think is best for our kids.

Well said! My son was about 18 months old when he inherited my iPad....it's done him nothing but good. He's even taught Grandad how to use it! Nursery have also commented on how advanced his language and IT skills are. I really don't see the harm in youngsters having them, provided they play with other things too.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    It absolutely does!! Computer games are addictive. I know my brother could stay in his room for days playing games on his PC and he didn't do nearly as well in his exams as he should have because he is ALWAYS on his PC. My parents were always buying him the latest gadget and now there is no way of getting him off those things.

Kids have their teenage years to get stuck behind a screen. Why get them hooked on it early?

Well your opinion is pretty much out of date these days, as kids of 5/6 are using ipads/tablets in school (supplied by the schools), as educational aids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Well your opinion is pretty much out of date these days, as kids of 5/6 are using ipads/tablets in school (supplied by the schools), as educational aids.

That's great, but why do they need to use them at home?
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's great, but why do they need to use them at home?

Why not, they are multi purpose..doesn't have to be just for games.

My daughter likes to take photos, read books, play games, watch videos etc..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the fault of your parents, not the technology
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    That's the fault of your parents, not the technology

You are kidding yourself I'm afraid, but you will only notice the effects of technology when your toddler is a teenager.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are kidding yourself I'm afraid, but you will only notice the effects of technology when your toddler is a teenager.

I'm sure I will.

Just like my parents noticed the effect technology had on me when I was a teenager, and their parents before them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    FearFactor wrote: »
    To further inflame the "tablets aren't for kids" crew - I'd like to buy a tablet that my 2year old can use. She constantly wants our phones or laptops (usually when we're working!) so I would like something that she can use when she wants to, but that I could also watch tv on when she's asleep!

I'd be happiest with something thats wifi only, not overly expensive (I'm not planning to put loads of apps on it) and pretty robust.

Any suggestions?? :)

I'd go iPod smaller and cheaper than iPads but great parental controls, large selection of apps and she can watch films etc on it easily.

And it's not too big to take places to keep her quite.

I spent my teen years reading consistently, not text books but trash like point horrors etc and I didn't do a levels at all. So can the written word be blamed? No.

Similarly I know boys that are football obsessed, age 7/8 they play until it's dark then go home and play fantasy football, or read footie comics.

It's boys (kids in general, but boys especially) - they get obsessions, be it games,tv, sports, - every parent of a teenager will say that they often talk to a brick wall because the kid is concentrating on something else.

I'd rather my boy was at home playing minecraft or similar hand anderingt he streets causing trouble. I know where he is, I know what he's doing, when he gets to teen years I'll know he's not drinking, smoking , etc (presuming he's tablet obsessed as presumed by some posters)
  • Options
    Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't know much about causality do you?
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be concerned that any child starting school not knowing how to use a tablet (or iPod Touch, etc) would be at a serious disadvantage.
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sons school actually set homework on "mathletics" which you can access from an iPad or laptop
  • Options
    mannyman09mannyman09 Posts: 293
    Forum Member
    I'm all for kids getting tablets at any age just remember to setup perental controls !!!
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP if you're considering a Kindle have a look at the Nook HD - it's got £20 off at the moment so you should be able to find it for £79. There are free game apps and free books on http://uk.nook.com/ but you aren't tied to buying from there as the nooks read epub & pdf files.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mannyman09 wrote: »
    I'm all for kids getting tablets at any age just remember to setup perental controls !!!

Nah, apparently you just let them have free reign as and when they want ;)