Options

The X Files: I Want to Believe

Comments

• Options
    slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that most X-Files episodes are better than your average movies I was expecting a lot. It wasn't as good as I thought it could be, I like the conspiracy stuff, but I still enjoyed the film, but felt the pace was slow and M&Ss long heart to heart was someewhat distracted by the loud explosions from the movie next door (Wall-E).

Let's hope in the next movie they build up the alien invasion and have a final movie released shortly before the date of 22 December 2012. And get mor of the old characters in it, Lone Gunmen, Cigarette Smoking Man, Alex Krycek, Deep Throat etc.

Was I the only one who thought Mulder and Scully looked OLD!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    slapmatt wrote: »
    Let's hope in the next movie they build up the alien invasion and have a final movie released shortly before the date of 22 December 2012. And get mor of the old characters in it, Lone Gunmen, Cigarette Smoking Man, Alex Krycek, Deep Throat etc.

Considering all of those characters are dead i think it might be a bit hard to include them in a third film.

I do hope we get a third film though, because i did enjoy 'I Want To Believe', even if it wasn't as good as it could have been.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Come on, this is the X Files. Flashbacks, memories or resurrections, I don't care!
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was I the only one who thought Mulder and Scully looked OLD!

Hahahaha! So true! I thought that as well. :D

I was watching Mulder and i noticed when the camera had close-ups of his face you could see his wrinkles, i thought damn he looks old. Not so much with Scully but yeah that's definetely true.
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Hahahaha! So true! I thought that as well. :D

I was watching Mulder and i noticed when the camera had close-ups of his face you could see his wrinkles, i thought damn he looks old. Not so much with Scully but yeah that's definetely true.

it is strange, i thought the exact same thing watching the film, but before i watched the film, i had seen interveiws with them (ie the richard and judy one, the alison hammond one with david etc,) and thought they looked younger, especially gillian
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the film was good but was dissapointed that the movie didn't carry on from the 1st movie(Alien element) as thats what the underlaying storey of the x-files from all seasons to the 1st movie is all about.
    Maybe they will do one more movie(with the Alien element) to conclude all the series and the 1st movie to a great ending to this series.

As i said i thought it was good but it just wasn't the x-files I and most of us remember
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the film. Bit of a strange storyline but it was good to see Mulder and Scully back in action.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hannahb39 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the film. Bit of a strange storyline but it was good to see Mulder and Scully back in action.

Yeah...it was such a comfort...in a weird way. :)

For such a low budget movie....it's good. :)
  • Options
    jonapovajonapova Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want to watch this for Billy Connolly and no other reason..
    X files is well past its sell by date! :cool:
  • Options
    CornucopiaCornucopia Posts: 19,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only a moderate X-files fan, but I quite enjoyed this film.

I cannot understand anyone criticising Billy Connolly (especially without even seeing the film). His performance was excellent.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    According to Frank Spotnitz's blog on the X Files website, the movie has made £51 million worldwide so far at the box office, which ain't as bad as i was expecting, so I live in hope for a third instalment. So it has surpassed its budget of £30 million. I just hope that Fox take a look at the mistakes they've made with IWTB, ie.. releasing it in the middle of summer and leaving it to compete against one of the biggest films ever (TDK) and also by pitching it as a summer blockbuster. Something it definitely isn't. IWTB would have fared so much better had it been released in the autumn. Also, maybe IWTB would have served better as a tv movie, to tie up loose ends for hardcore fans, and act as a bridge between the series and another cinema release, and then they chould have gone straight into doing another big blockbuster film about aliens etc to satisfy the masses who want that kind of thing from the x files.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    I'm only a moderate X-files fan, but I quite enjoyed this film.

I cannot understand anyone criticising Billy Connolly (especially without even seeing the film). His performance was excellent.

I agree. I promised my mate who is a mahoosive x-files fan that I'd go see it with her so we had a cinema day on sat. I picked Dark Knight, we went for lunch then went to X-Files.
    I actually really enjoyed it but she was massively disappointed. She said the only thing that kept her watching was Mulder!
    I also thought Billy Connolly was good but
    thought his death was a bit crowbarred in.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VickiGri wrote: »
    I agree. I promised my mate who is a mahoosive x-files fan that I'd go see it with her so we had a cinema day on sat. I picked Dark Knight, we went for lunch then went to X-Files.
    I actually really enjoyed it but she was massively disappointed. She said the only thing that kept her watching was Mulder!
    I also thought Billy Connolly was good but
    thought his death was a bit crowbarred in.

In regards to your spoiler, that's a common thing on The X Files. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me why the X Files movie cost $30 million to make?

OK, there were a lot of extras and I'm sure Billy Connelly doesn't come cheap (!?!?!), but there were many special effects and it was equivalent to two TV episodes in length.
  • Options
    anna42hmranna42hmr Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me why the X Files movie cost $30 million to make?

OK, there were a lot of extras and I'm sure Billy Connelly doesn't come cheap (!?!?!), but there were many special effects and it was equivalent to two TV episodes in length.

to be honest $30million (aprox £15 million) for a non indie film is not that high, look at the credits to see all the people they employed - actors, writers, make up artists, stage designers, lighting people, costume designers, editors etc imdb has over200 behind scenes crew listed, and they usually only have the major ones, not to mention that most cities or towns charge the film company when they are filming in the area, also you have costs for promoting it, advertising etc

take a look at these for high costs:
    Most expensive films according to Forbes (adjusted for inflation)
    Source: Forbes via Box Office Mojo adjusted for 2006 dollars.

List of most expensive films, inflation adjusted Movie name Production Costs (est.)
    1. Cleopatra 1963 $290,200,000
    2. Superman Returns 2006 $268,500,000
    3. Titanic 1997 $250,200,000
    4. Waterworld 1995 $231,600,000
    5. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest 2006 $223,100,000
    6. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines 2003 $219,500,000
    7. Spider-Man 2 2004 $212,800,000
    8. King Kong 2005 $212,300,000
    9. X-Men: The Last Stand 2006 $209,300,000
    10. Wild Wild West 1999 $206,400,000
    11. Speed 2: Cruise Control 1997 $201,400,000
    12. The 13th Warrior 1999 $193,200,000
    13. Troy 2004 $186,800,000
    14. The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 2005 $184,600,000
    15. The Polar Express 2004 $174,300,000
    16=. Armageddon 1998 $173,100,000
    16=. Lethal Weapon 4 1998 $173,100,000
    18. Van Helsing 2004 $170,700,000
    19. Superman 1978 $163,900,000*
    20. The Matrix Reloaded 2003 $165,000,000
    21=. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 2003 $164,100,000
    21=. The Matrix Revolutions 2003 $164,100,000
    23. The Perfect Storm 2000 $164,000,000
    24. Alexander 2004 $163,800,000
    25. The World Is Not Enough 1999 $161,900,000
  • Options
    exploexplo Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought it was complete rubbish and the only reason for that was the plot. Dull, boring, with only a tenuous paranormal link. And whenever a religious theme is thrown in, I just lose all interest.

The Scully and the little boy story was definitely filler material, time that could have been better spent inside a better story by involving more 'X-Files people'.

Feel terrible that I took someone along to this. However, Gillian Anderson looked fantastic, more so than in the lasty few years of the series.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a bit conflicted about this.

On the one hand, I can understand why people were disappointed that after 6 years this story was seemingly the best they could come up with. Had it been a two-parter in the TV series, I don't think it would have stood out (as a story - production values is another matter).

On the other, I enjoyed it. All the criticisms that applied to the TV series are relevant but still I felt the X-Files 'magic'. :cool:
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    <---- massive X-files fan, thought the film was quite rubbish and extremelyyyyyyyyyyyyy disappointing. A friend of mine is probably THE world's biggest fan and he hated it a lot.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It felt like an extended episode, and a filler episode at that.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film was sh*t, let's face it!

And i'm an X-Files fan! Severely disappointed.
  • Options
    JonJonBJonJonB Posts: 2,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Scully and the little boy story was definitely filler material, time that could have been better spent inside a better story by involving more 'X-Files people'.
    Missed the point a bit, I think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JonJonB wrote: »
    Missed the point a bit, I think.

I gave up trying to explain Scully's sub-plot a long time ago... *sigh*
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finally watched this film, great to catch up with mulder and scully again,also liked the credits ending.

7/10- gets way too much flack imo
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    finally watched this film, great to catch up with mulder and scully again,also liked the credits ending.

7/10- gets way too much flack imo

I'm glad I waited 5 years for your review before watching it. I'll go and watch it now.

Iron Man came out the same year, is that any good too? Let me know before they make a sequel.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Well now that the thread has been revived, it's nice to think of the film in a proper retrospect - after all, nearly as much time has passed since the film, as passed between the film and Season 9! :eek:

I think the film can be summed up with one word - bland. Whether you're talking about the new characters, or the locations used for filming, or the plot, or the on-screen relationships it always comes back to that one word for me...'bland'.

I wasn't old enough to see The X Files first time around...I think I caught an episode of Season 2 one night staying up late, but I'd have only been a little kid. I started watching it on DVD in 2006 and finished watching it in 2012 - I loved ALL nine seasons to pieces, and thought the first film was generally very good. My disliking of this film has nothing to do with a stale opinion of X Files.

I think the plot was done a disservice. Some intriguing ideas were in there but were never explored in any depth at all, and so are simply boring. Billy Connolly does his best with the little material he has to work with, as does Anderson. Once again I found Duchovny's Mulder to be the weak link - I never thought his heart was really in it after Season 6... that definitely doesn't change here.

The film is overly dark, and is just SO boring to look at (Gillian looks lovely as always, mind). I should be happy to see Skinner near the end but the rest of the film has sucked so much joy from everything that I really didn't care. I was happy to have a standalone story, but at least tell one with some enthusiasm if you're trying to revive a decade-and-a-half old franchise.

I really hope this isn't the closing chapter of The X Files... a third movie or a miniseries would be absolutely wonderful still if they don't repeat the mistakes they made here. Seriously, I don't know what anyone was thinking with this.