✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    you don't like metallica much, do you?

Really, really not :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I would like to get an Anthrax album. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I have a couple of recommendations if you do want to get into Anthrax. I think their best album with Joey is easily Persistence of Time, not a bad track on that album. Coincidently they have just released a box set of their first 4 albums including Persistence of Time for the frankly crazy price of £11.63 on amazon! I would pay that for Persistence on its own!

Secondly their best album with John Bush singing and in my opinion their best album is We've Come For You All. I could listen to that album all day long. Slightly more melodic than earlier anthrax granted probably due to the addition of guitarist/producer Rob Caggiano who works magic wherever he goes (check out his work on the new Volbeat album if you don't believe me. The guy went in to produce their new album and the guys loved his work so much they got him to join the band!) Anyway sorry sidetracked, those two albums will be a fitting place to start, listen to them decide which vocalist is more to your taste and work your way through the catalogue accordingly. Lots of cool stuff to discover either way though.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a couple of recommendations if you do want to get into Anthrax. I think their best album with Joey is easily Persistence of Time, not a bad track on that album. Coincidently they have just released a box set of their first 4 albums including Persistence of Time for the frankly crazy price of £11.63 on amazon! I would pay that for Persistence on its own!

Secondly their best album with John Bush singing and in my opinion their best album is We've Come For You All. I could listen to that album all day long. Slightly more melodic than earlier anthrax granted probably due to the addition of guitarist/producer Rob Caggiano who works magic wherever he goes (check out his work on the new Volbeat album if you don't believe me. The guy went in to produce their new album and the guys loved his work so much they got him to join the band!) Anyway sorry sidetracked, those two albums will be a fitting place to start, listen to them decide which vocalist is more to your taste and work your way through the catalogue accordingly. Lots of cool stuff to discover either way though.

I have just been listening to Volbeat, not my usual stuff but they are really good.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I have just been listening to Volbeat, not my usual stuff but they are really good.

Actually, they supported Metallica in the USA a few years back, so I guess it's not surprising that a Metallica fan would like them. Don't bands usually tour with a support who may appeal to their fanbase?
  • Options
    Forum Member

I made my way to Volbeat through the Rob connection and I have to say so stoked to have found them they are really really good, saw them live two weeks ago and still buzzing from it! There is definitely a Hetfield-esque quality to Michael Poulsens vocals especially on the last album, has that lift at the end of lines and the obligatory added ehh and ahh to the end of words but its not that big a deal.

Bands tend to go on tour with bands that sound relatively similar as I suppose it makes the couple of hours you are in a venue a bit more tolerable before the band you came to see go on. Nothing worse than the headline band coming on to a bored angry crowd I guess.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just started listening to Fish's solo stuff and some of it sounds great. I love Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors and his new album A Feast of Consequences.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made my way to Volbeat through the Rob connection and I have to say so stoked to have found them they are really really good, saw them live two weeks ago and still buzzing from it! There is definitely a Hetfield-esque quality to Michael Poulsens vocals especially on the last album, has that lift at the end of lines and the obligatory added ehh and ahh to the end of words but its not that big a deal.

Bands tend to go on tour with bands that sound relatively similar as I suppose it makes the couple of hours you are in a venue a bit more tolerable before the band you came to see go on. Nothing worse than the headline band coming on to a bored angry crowd I guess.

TheTruth1983 will be tutting and shaking their head at the BIB.

I think the fact they are from Denmark would have helped them to tour with Lars as well.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just started listening to Fish's solo stuff and some of it sounds great. I love Vigil In A Wilderness of Mirrors and his new album A Feast of Consequences.

He can be a bit patchy...13th Star and Sunsets on Empire are good as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheTruth1983 will be tutting and shaking their head at the BIB.

I think the fact they are from Denmark would have helped them to tour with Lars as well.

I have to admit, for a Scandinavian band, I'm actually pretty 'meh' about Volbeat. Maybe it's because they sound more American. I'm the same with In Flames (keep expecting a rap).
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Volbeat? Are they the ones who were featured on Classic Rock moaning about downloading without specifying whether they were talking about illegal or legal downloading?

Sounds like the singer is not just Hetfield-esque but also Ulrich-esque.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Volbeat? Are they the ones who were featured on Classic Rock moaning about downloading without specifying whether they were talking about illegal or legal downloading?

I suspect that when musicians 'moan' about downloading, it's the illegal variety. Why would they complain about people paying? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member

The quote etc is here http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/volbeat-frontman-selling-records-doesnt-put-food-on-the-table/

Seems like its more about the fact that musicians can't survive on just record sales anymore, doesn't really come down on either side of the debate just says he isn't a fan of downloading and doesn't do it himself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The quote etc is here http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/volbeat-frontman-selling-records-doesnt-put-food-on-the-table/

Seems like its more about the fact that musicians can't survive on just record sales anymore, doesn't really come down on either side of the debate just says he isn't a fan of downloading and doesn't do it himself.

It must be soul destroying for artists to put all that time, effort & money into making an album, only for people to effectively steal it, instead of buying the product.

Especially for bands who have emerged since the new millenium, who didn't get the chance to make any money from past sales, unlike squillionaires such as Metallica
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have to sadly let you know that Motörhead has had to postpone the forthcoming European tour until early next year, 2014.

We have made the decision because I am not quite ready to hit the road yet, and am working my way back to full fitness and rude health. Don't worry - I'm not about to start promoting veganism and alcohol-free beverages, but it is fair to say that I personally have been reconfiguring areas of my life to make sure I can come back fitter and stronger than ever.

It disappointed me tremendously to have to say I wasn't quite ready to hit the road yet, but not nearly as much as it would've disappointed me to go out, play some average shows and watch my health give way long before the tour was over! When people come to see a Motörhead tour, they expect a Motörhead show, and that is exactly what you will get as soon as I am fit and ready to rumble.

Your patience and understanding is appreciated...and know that I'm getting stronger and stronger every day, so watch out next spring Europe and we will see you then.

Thank you all,

Lemmy

http://www.facebook.com/OfficialMotorhead?fref=ts

I had a feeling this would happen :(
  • Options
    PilotofthestormPilotofthestorm Posts: 3,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone is interested but there is a really interesting program on Jimi Hendrix on BBC1 at the mo.......the guy wasn't a half bad guitarist as it goes ;)
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if anyone is interested but there is a really interesting program on Jimi Hendrix on BBC1 at the mo.......the guy wasn't a half bad guitarist as it goes ;)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jimi-Hendrix-Experience-Train-Comin/dp/B00F12OHT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383093376&sr=8-1&keywords=jimi+hendrix+hear+my+train+a+comin+dvd

Definite buy for me :cool:
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I believe he had his moments. ;)

I've recorded it and looking forward to watching it later.

Not tonight, though, as I'm going to see Paradise Lost, Katatonia, & Lacuna Coil, in Wolverhampton!! :D
  • Options
    ifihadafishifihadafish Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    Just found this place when searching Google for Baleful Creed updates.

I've 69 pages of posts to catch up on then over the next few days by the looks of it - that's work tea-breaks sorted then.

Looking briefly back, there is a lot of John Garcia love here - and that's no bad thing. Can't go wrong with Kyuss (except maybe the first album), but as someone said, Unida is just as cool. How did El Coyote not get released!! It's awesome - one of the best albums from the last 10 years or so! Glad Unida are back playing live, so hopefully get a proper release to their lost album or a new one of new choons.

Hermano are also due a new one but of course the big focus is the return of Kyuss as such in the form of Vista Chino - and its another great performance from John. Certainly an album that could have worn the Kyuss badge if they had of been allowed by Josh Homme - an artist I've not followed since the Songs For The Deaf album - to me his last decent piece of work.

Slo Burn is worth a mention for their incredible EP - I said I pilot the dune!

For the Orange Goblin new fans - check out Coup De Grace as John Garcia has guest vocals on 2 tracks.

Apologies if I am repeating stuff from the 69 pages beforehand.

And yeah - more folk should check out Baleful Creed too :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baleful Creed eh? Excellent band from Northern Ireland. I agree, more people should check them out :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

I've 69 pages of posts to catch up on then over the next few days by the looks of it - that's work tea-breaks sorted then.

Looking briefly back, there is a lot of John Garcia love here - and that's no bad thing. Can't go wrong with Kyuss (except maybe the first album), but as someone said, Unida is just as cool. How did El Coyote not get released!! It's awesome - one of the best albums from the last 10 years or so! Glad Unida are back playing live, so hopefully get a proper release to their lost album or a new one of new choons.

Hermano are also due a new one but of course the big focus is the return of Kyuss as such in the form of Vista Chino - and its another great performance from John. Certainly an album that could have worn the Kyuss badge if they had of been allowed by Josh Homme - an artist I've not followed since the Songs For The Deaf album - to me his last decent piece of work.

For the Orange Goblin new fans - check out Coup De Grace as John Garcia has guest vocals on 2 tracks.

I'm going to see Vista Chino and Monster Truck this Saturday. I've been like a kid on Christmas morning all week! Don't know who I'm more excited to see! Vista Chino for the second time or the frankly phenomenal Monster Truck, I think the Truck are edging it right now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/acdc-thought-of-firing-bon-scott/

Apparently ACDC thought about sacking Bon Scott in 1975.

Imagine a world without Powerage and Highway to Hell :eek:
  • Options
    urbancoyoteurbancoyote Posts: 208
    Forum Member

I only had one listen of the Vista Chino album, but didnt rate it at all. Love John Garcia normally...like you say Hermano are also great. I like the fact that El Coyote, or The Great Divide as I believe its more commonly called, was never released. Its a superb album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought the Baleful Creed album off bandcamp, its excellent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just bought the Baleful Creed album off bandcamp, its excellent

Just got an email off them thanking me, that's a nice touch.